Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

Unsung Heroes

on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:06 pm
Locke Highwind strode through the doors of the breakroom on PCG Moonbase Cair Paravel. He glanced around at the interior of the breakroom. There were Starquest Marines (Including Dino) a few Star Lancer Pilots along with SDF crewmen were sitting around tables.

There are fighter sims along one of the walls and there are four pilots in the sims. Three Star Lancers and one Star Force pilot that is on the base for unknown reasons. (These would be Talmid, AA, Arik, and Kojan.)

~ You may now begin posting. ~

JSYK, Locke Highwind is a NPC, he will be in the roleplay a lot, primarily to guide you along and help you out of any situations that you're not able to get yourselves out of. (There will be a Marine Lieutenant that will fill the same roll for you Starquest)
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

Re: Unsung Heroes

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:42 am
*In the simulator, Kevtrich pops his ship up from over a friendly captial ship and smoothly levels out for a run at and neighboring enemy captial ship's heavy turrets. His speed and height above the enemy ship made it difficult for the ship's gunners to hit him, but their guns sure could reach high enough. He tensed up as the flak burst all around him. High fast runs like this demanded a smooth flight in order for accurate and consistent hits, and the chances of actually getting hit were not really that high. But the explosions of flak didnt' seem to confirm that for him.

He neared the target and prepared to deliver his payload. Being in a zero-G enviornment, bombs could do nothing but fly straight forwards as they were released by their carrying craft. Release was too easy to mess up the intended flight path of the bomb, and it had no propulsion to continue to propel it in any one direction, which made them very ineffective and inaccurate, unless you where just throwing a couple extremely high-yield bombs onto a large target like the hull of a ship. But star-fighters where much better off targetting specific things to strategically cripple a ship, not simply bash it into a peice of scrap. So missiles where the perferred method of devlivering powerful explosives on target. Nienty-Five percent of the time, they were equipped with some sort of guidance system, which was extremely useful in the constantly changing enviornment of space. They also had the added benefit of being able to be released farther out than bombs, and on different runs then one lined up directly with a target, which allowed for runs which offered better survival chances then would otherwise be available.

There was still, however, an optimal firing point, which always just so happened to be within range of the enemys guns. But not too far within, though Kevtrich, as his computer prompted him to fire. He pushed the nice little red button on his flight-stick and then dove around the side of floating peice of debris, conviently shielding him from AA fire. From then on he weaved his way through ships, constantly changing which ships had him in their field of view, even if it meant vearing off to another enemy ship. The more times he changed ships, the more times a new ship would have to reaquire him as a target, and the less chance the previous ship had to hit him. Now behing him, the brillant flash of his four missiles lit up the enemy capital ship briefly before dying out, and the turret could be seen as a spinning twisted peice of melted floating off in space.*

OOC: How's that for a first post? Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm
OOC ^^^ not bad at all... now to top it  Razz
J-red, I like the starbase name  Very Happy  End OOC

Auther sat at one of the tables, drinking a protein shake. A firearm lay in pieces on the table in front of him. He watched the pilots practicing in the simulators. Feeling their emotions; anger, excitement, and a little fear. It was remarkable how tense these men were while sitting in training machines that could cause them no harm. He smiled, fly-boys, he thought to himself, shaking his head a little, everything is the most important moment of their lives to them. Maybe that's what keeps them alive up there, living every second as if the universe depended on it.
    He turned his attention back to his shake, clumps had developed while he was focusing on the pilots. He stirred his drink with his straw, then sipped at it again.
    He wiped his hands on a napkin, then glanced at his PADD, the headline read, "Klingon Base Found Destroyed on Anexos III, Cause Unbeknown" hmm I wonder what the Kinglons were doing there... And who's got the guts to take them on? Wish I'd had something to do with it.
    Auther set down the PADD and picked up part of his disassembled railgun, grabbed a rag damp with cleaner, and continued maintaining his weapon, it's amazing how much gunk gets in there just practicing with this thing. Once he was satisfied that it was clean, he began to reassemble the now shining weapon.

Last edited by dino27 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:57 pm
dino27 wrote: ...he began to resemble the now shining weapon.

Shocked I didn't know your character was a shapeshifter! Razz 
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm
@ AA - You fly along destroying things with relative ease, then, your ship's onboard systems warn you of incoming craft. Behind you are three enemy fighter that are acquiring a lock on you.

@ Dino - You notice Squadron Commander Locke Highwind standing in the doorway and behind him you see a Starquest Marine with Lieutenant's bars and several familiar patches.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 pm
OOC ^^^ what rank am I? Razz End OOC

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm
OOC - Your paygrade is E4. Corporal. - END OOC

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm
OOC in that case Razz End OOC

Auther stands, walks to the door, and salutes.

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:23 pm
"Corporal." The major (I changed his rank. Razz) says with a smile. "At ease. I hope you're up to a little action. You'll be getting some soon."

You're able to see his patches more clearly. He's apparently a member of Omega Squad and a part of the Texas Rangers fleet. This man is part of Captain Johnnyred's personal away detachment of Star Quest Marines. You also look over at Locke Highwind who you recognize as Johnnyred's personal Squadron Commander of the Red Daggers squadron attached to the PCG Texas.

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:27 pm
OOC: Am I in this room as well, as I joined as a Marine? /OOC

Character sheet

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:49 pm
- OOC - Yes, I didn't see your join post, must've missed it. Razz You're at one of the tables somewhere. - END OOC -

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 pm
[OOC]Now to top EVERYONE's first posts.[/OOC]

Alasdair is sitting at a table with seven or eight other Marines standing around him, all watching him drain an enormous mug of Root Beer. With a final "Glug!" he slams the drink down on the table-- next to four other mugs, in line from the smallest, no more than a cup, to the largest, which was now the huge draught he had just chugged. As Alasdair finishes off the fifth mug, five of the other Marines cheer. "You showed 'em up again, Al!" one shouts, pounding his back. The others continue in their back-slapping, whooping, and general mirth, while several more roll their eyes, fall heavily to their seats, and begin fishing in their pockets for the bets they just lost, though even they can't help grinning when Alasdair shoves his chair back and stands up, both hands planted on the table.

"Aye, that'll show ye to doubt a Scotsman's hand at the draught!" he proclaims loudly, his thick Scottish accent reverberating through the room, "and that's not the best of it! A round on me to celebrate, and when we get back home I'll give ye a REAL show!" This brings on a fresh mounting of cheers and back-slapping, as the losers stand and accept the gesture of goodwill, joining in the general rowdy, though somehow controlled in the unique way of the Star Quest Marines, atmosphere.

Alasdair, though still laughing and talking loudly with the rest of his comrades, notices the major and his companion, and discreetly adjusts the waistband of his uniform, and the pistol holstered at his side.

Character sheet

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 pm
-OOC- The PCG/Starquest/Star Lancers do not allow any crew members to drink on or off duty

I was hoping that the others would come in soon so we could have a fighter sim battle, but I don't know if that's gonna happen... - END OOC -

Locke Highwind turned to his companion and asked, "What time are they supposed to arrive?"

"Should be soon." The major replied. "The Captain said he was expecting them to beam over to the Texas soon, and as soon as they were aboard, they'd be beaming down to the base."

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 pm
OOC: Okay, I originally a ginormous intro story that probably could have, when finished, filled an entire chapter, maybe even two, of a large book. Razz Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, for everyone else's sakes Razz), I accidentally went back a page and lost the whole thing, so this one'll be shorter.
Also, hopefully you don't mind if I improvise a bit, including on details like what fighter I'm using, what my rank is, and so on. Razz

IC:

"Flight Lieutenant Sholstead, this is Squadron Eight Leader. This is a distress signal; six birds incoming, ETA one minute. Requesting assistance."
"Copy that, Eight Leader. Moving to assist. Sholstead out."

Lucas reached up and took hold of the lever bar, pushing it back up and disengaging his Albatross assault fighter's atmospheric-flight systems. The fighter's flight quickly began to be a lot rougher, as thick "tendrils" of atmosphere began occasionally battering the fighter's less-than-aerodynamic hull.
"Wingmate, you're on me."
"I copy. Forming up on your wing."
He began easing his fighter to starboard, cutting down his speed and slowly nosing away from his original course to the planet and farther out. Soon the faded blue stripe of atmosphere marking the dividing line between the planet and space came into view, and a set of barely-visible specks followed shortly after- the friendly bomber squadron. The tiny specks suddenly lit up green on his viewport HUD, making them far more visible, and a moment later several yellow-marked ones suddenly came to his attention as well.

Six of them. The enemy fighters.
Lucas checked his time to arrival. A minute-thirty. Blast. "Wingmate, be ready." He went through a quick check of his fighter. Fuel at Ninety-six percent. Cannon ammo at 1,396 rounds. Missiles fully-stocked but, of course, unprimed.

Forty seconds. He continued to ease the speed forward, slowly gaining speed.
Thirty seconds. Tiny, luminous trails of yellow could be seen flying from the now far-more-visible enemy fighters and into the cluster of near-helpless bombers. In response, a thin spray of shrapnel shot off the back of one of the bombers, which then left a stream of smoke in its wake.
Lucas keyed on his full targeting crosshairs, lining them up and holding them on the lead fighter. Almost in range. His Time to Arrival indicator counted down the seconds; Nine... Eight... Seven... six... five... four... three... two...

He squeezed the trigger. The Albatross's twin cannons began spitting out their rapid-fire rounds, the glowing shots peppering the enemy fighter formation, and Lucas began to slowly nose his fighter crosshairs across the entire line. The particle shots missed the first fighter, though only barely, and became to strafe down the row.
The second and fifth enemy fighters both detonated in a satisfying ball of expanding flame. Lucas's jaw subconsciously set itself in a grin, and he dived into the fray.

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:10 pm
Auther relaxed, "Always ready sir," he said enthusiastically, "anything you need sir?"
Before the Major could reply, the other side of the room burst into cheers, clapping, whooping, and general rowdy noise. Auther spun round, surprised at the sudden ruckus. He raised his eyebrows when he saw what was happening, and turned back to the Major. He still wasn't used to these Star Quest types. They just weren't as formal as Star Fleet. Back then, when an officer walked into the room, you immediately came to attention; here, the contests continued as loud as ever. I don't understand the need to consume large amounts of liquid to impress others... what possible purpose could it serve? Perhaps that's the attitude of the Marine "Anything you can do..."

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 pm
@ Dino -
- OOC - Razz The Major is a Marine.  Part of Omega Squad the rowdiest of the bunch oftentimes.  Razz - END OOC -

"Yeah, we need all Star Quest and Star Lancer personnel in the briefing room in half an hour." He said.  "If you could help round them up, that would be a big help.  By the way, I'm Major Steve Johnson.  Most people just call me Rock.  What's your name, corpral?"

@ Arik - While you were consentrating on that group of fighters, a second group of three fighters has snuck up behind you. All one has a missile lock on you and the other has released a volley of cannon fire one you, damaging your starboard wing.
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 am
[OOC]I feel I should point out to Arik that a fighter would NOT line its crosshairs up with an enemy fighter, he would track quite a bit ahead, based on the speed and maneuvers used by the enemy fighter. Unless the "crosshair" implied the computer tracking crosshair, which would mean the weapons are not locked, and are aimed by the computer while the pilot just keeps the ship from being destroyed and chooses his locks, which is a perfectly reasonable possibility.

Also, as Alasdair is somewhat of a leader among the troops, especially those with him now, should I retain some form of control over the current group? Or, as NPC's, are they entirely at the GM's disposal? This IS my first RP, so I'll be asking a lot of questions. xD[/OOC]

Character sheet

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 am
- OOC - As of right now you won't have any control, but later on you'll possibly have a squad or at least a few under your command. - END OOC -

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 am
[OOC] I didn't mean military control, I more meant how they react to being "rounded up," that sort of thing. My idea was that most of them practically ignored Dino, because he isn't a Marine, but as soon as Kaynard gives the word they're immediately all business, to show both that he's a natural leader of sorts, and that the Marines, or at least his companions, are somewhat exclusive, and look down on the "star jockeys" as not really one of them. But obviously it's up to you, if you had your own idea, you're the GM. Razz [/OOC]

Character sheet

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:06 am
- OOC - Dino IS a Marine. Razz - END OOC -

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 am
[OOC]HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M A MORON. Very Happy

Carry on. -_- [/OOC]

Character sheet

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 am
- OOC - Razz Yousa funneh. I keel you last. Razz Now we just need more peeps to get their rears in here! xD - END OOC -

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:10 am
[OOC]Well, it IS 1 in the morning here. Can't expect TOO much out of these people. Razz[/OOC]

Character sheet

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 am
- OOC - THAT'S NO EXCUSE!!!! Razz - END OOC -

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 pm
Siriondil Daragon wrote:I feel I should point out to Arik that a fighter would NOT line its crosshairs up with an enemy fighter...

Admittedly, you got me. I didn't think about that factor. :PAs to "auto-aiming" weapons, I strongly doubt it, as such weapons as are mounted on this craft would likely be too difficult to mount on some sort of joint for it to be feasible.

However, I think there might be some justification in the fact that the crosshairs would probably consist of a line, with multiple points to "aim" with, along it, much like sniper rifle scopes have similar things to account for bullet drop and target movement. That way, the pilot isn't trying to guess blindly where he needs to set his aim for the shots to hit.

Anyway...

IC:

Lucas mutters something under his breath, mentally chiding himself for not bothering to check his sensors for other fighters, and yanks the control stick back to put himself into a tight, gut-wrenching spin.
"Wingmate! Three birds on my tail! Move to-" Lucas's reply is cut off by an explosion, more felt than heard, from behind, and his wingmate cuts through the wash of fiery tentacles stretching out from where one of the fighters just was.
"Thanks!"

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum