Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Share
View previous topicGo downView next topic
avatar
Commander (PCG)
Join date : 2013-07-12
Faction : United Federation of Planets
Posts : 828
Location : Earth
View user profile

Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:48 pm


The Neptune Class was designed to be the ultimate munition-carrying machine.  Development took place in a secret base on Triton, where the prototype designers worked with United Star Fighters Incorporated to get their ship built up, beefed up, and ready for production.

First and foremost, weapons: The Neptune has them all.  It also has plenty of armor, defensive shielding, and computer equipment on board as well, since it needs to keep all the extra goodies working fine.  Of course, it also needs a power source for everything.

Powering the Neptune are its four megasized engines, which serve the role of lugging this gun-covered lump through space.  The Neptune has a maximum speed of Warp factor 6.  Meanwhile, it has a turning radius comparable to that of a small planet.


Last edited by Talmid on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Captain (PCG)
Join date : 2013-05-20
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
Posts : 1430
Location : P.C.G. York ready room
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am
Remember what I said earlier about too many weapons: forget it. THAT MOC didn't have too many weapons, THIS ONE does... that's just crazy.... WAAAAAAAAY too many guns.... WAAAAAAY too many rockets... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to many weapons.

Next, the first test wouldn't be a live one, it'd be on a holodeck, running a simulation.

Next "immune to phaser blasts (for the most part)" I assume you mean fighter mounted phasers, right? Because unless she's got a Neutronium armor layer, NO fighter is practically immune to cap ship phaser fire. Resistent perhaps, but not immune. Also, when you say "photon torpedoes" I can only assume those are the mini fighter craft version? Because a Galaxy class starship can't take it's OWN torpedoes at point blank range....

Next, the physical controls: WAAAAAY too complicated. The computer could handle that easily. (We're already doing it on modern fighters) so there is simply no need to put another person in danger by using two seats.


That out of the way: The fighter looks pretty cool underneath all those weapons. Smile


_________________



Dino27


"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
avatar
Commander (PCG)
Join date : 2013-07-12
Faction : United Federation of Planets
Posts : 828
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 am
Vardok (dino) S'ren wrote:Remember what I said earlier about too many weapons: forget it. THAT MOC didn't have too many weapons, THIS ONE does... that's just crazy.... WAAAAAAAAY too many guns.... WAAAAAAY too many rockets... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to many weapons.
Knew that was coming. Razz

One of its roles is as an attack fighter.... it's supposed to have lots of weapons, and even then, it's not like they're always going to be firing at the same time all the time because they do take up a lot of power.  They only do that when attacking large ships in a fleet battle, and even then, they only do an attack like this once before returning to base.

This is how a typical battle involving Neptunes goes:

A Federation Fleet encounters an Enemy Fleet

1. Neptunes are launched to attack the Enemy capital ship
2. Neptunes go into attack formation
3. Neptunes fire everything
4. Neptunes break off and
-a. Return to base
-b. Switch to minimal weapons and dogfight



Seriously, I think having a lot of weapons on a star fighter is actually very practical, for a star fighter.  It's in space, so aerodynamics mean nothing.

Next, power.  Remember, energy weapons can be switched on and off.  When they're on, they use power, but when they're off, they don't.  It's not practical to keep all the weapons online and firing all the time, which is why they aren't.  I like building multipurpose fighters, which includes doing things like attacking big ships and dogfighting with small ones.  A fighter like this can do both.

Lastly, yes, I also acknowledge that a fighter like this is very expensive.  That's the only reason why I also have purpose-built fighters like the Star Hawk (interceptor) and the Star Phoenix (dog fighter). Smile

Vardok (dino) S'ren wrote:
That out of the way: The fighter looks pretty cool underneath all those weapons. Smile

When I think up the shape of a fighter, I think of everything, engines, wings, central hull, and weapons.  The weapons are a core part of a fighter's shape, at least to me.  But seeing how nobody here likes the practicality of having weapons, I guess that means I just don't share the same building style as all you guys here.

There's nothing wrong with that, though. Razz Constructive criticism is always welcome, the only problem is, I can't use it. Neutral

All of the ships I've posted are old and I can't change them. Even if I did build new starships and fighters that make use of constructive criticism, I don't know where I would host their LDD files to share them. Sad
avatar
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Join date : 2013-05-20
Faction : Romnilar
Posts : 1063
Location : Lost in a decimated city
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:10 am
Ahem, correction dino. Waaaaay too many guns, there is no such thing as too many rockets. Because having a thousand rockets is like having a thousand rounds of ammo....which in a dog-fight is.....not much at all. Razz I cuold quite easily, and quickly, dump a thousand rockets into a small handful of cruisers. But I usually solve this problem by creating rocket pods instead of showing each rocket. Razz

_________________


Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
avatar
Captain (PCG)
Join date : 2013-05-20
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
Posts : 1430
Location : P.C.G. York ready room
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm
Actually, you know you have too many rockets when you're fighter is too heavy to take off. Aside from that... you're good to go. Razz Point taken, and agreed, lots of rockets is good. Smile

_________________



Dino27


"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
avatar
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Join date : 2013-05-20
Faction : Romnilar
Posts : 1063
Location : Lost in a decimated city
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:17 pm
Well with engines nowadays, it's a sad thing when you can't take off due to your rocket load, I think rather your engines didn't start up. Razz

_________________


Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
avatar
Commander (PCG)
Join date : 2013-07-12
Faction : United Federation of Planets
Posts : 828
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:22 pm
This is the 26th-or-so century, so rockets can replicate. Razz Can't they?
avatar
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Join date : 2013-05-20
Faction : Romnilar
Posts : 1063
Location : Lost in a decimated city
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 pm
Ehh......well first off, I never really like the whole replicate idea. It seemed liek the biggest sci-fi cheat every. It's like spawning all teh goodies at your feet with an admin hack, it's just dumb and ruins teh game. Razz

But that aside, I don't think a fighter liek this has any more than an emergancy food replicator, and give teh amount of energy needed to make the smallest amount of mass, and then force that mass together the way you need it, and that quickly, you need a flipping ton of energy. A galaxy size starship I can (maybe) see doing that....a fighter.......ehh....NO. Razz But that's liek saying the makers of star-trek where realistic or something. Razz But even if it was feasible, why do ships still need to restock on diterium every so many years?

_________________


Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
avatar
Commander (PCG)
Join date : 2013-07-12
Faction : United Federation of Planets
Posts : 828
Location : Earth
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm
Hmmmm.... true. Razz

Then again, replicated food is just rearranged protein molecules with food coloring.
avatar
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Join date : 2013-05-20
Faction : Romnilar
Posts : 1063
Location : Lost in a decimated city
View user profile

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:38 pm
well if you're jsut beaming protein mollecules around, then taht takes away the create problem, now you're stuck with quickly and arrange...wait...when that guy orders a bowl of tomato soup in voyager, does taht mean the bowl is edible to?!?


So you have to keep it stocked with enough protein......so you still need the same mass....just compressed super small.......hmmm........only slightly more feasible. And then there's teh whole thing of beaming things around, that's rather impracticle too, and also cheap. It takes all the fun out of tactical insertions. That's why Star Wars didn't have it, so they could steal old imperial shuttles to the forest moon of endor.....no to mention swoop down the entire clone army onto geonosis. Beaming down just isn't near as fun. Razz

_________________


Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Sponsored content

Re: Neptune Class Attack Fighter

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum