Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Torrent-Class Gunboat

on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:54 am
For those not in the know, I plan to upload all my ships in a single, big .ZIP (preferably in the officer database, though that would depend on whether anyone can start a topic there, or it's reserved for admins or something); some vessels, however, will get special recognition here in the specific ship forum.

The Torrent isn't really important in and of itself, it's more just to get me back into the GIMP game (and getting me used to uploading on this site). This'll also be my first experience with Dropbox, so be prepared for technical difficulties. 

(As a side note, how do you upload pictures directly; as in, not in a spoiler?)
OK, let's see if this works.
Spoiler:

(Engaging some pirate offscreen, since I couldn't be bothered to go through the extra effort of adding one  Razz )

AnThe Torrent is a gunboat* employed by the PCG mainly as a scout in heavily pirate-infested areas. Unlike most corvette-sized vessels, the Torrent's crew have usually served at least one or two tours of duty, and thus are better equipped to face off against more powerful foes. Torrents themselves are usually better armed & armored than your standard corvette-type ship, as their relatively heavy-combat role necessitates.

To be perfectly honest, I kinda rushed this one, so it isn't my greatest. Still, I like it overall. I though the inline nacelles came out decently, despite my inexperience both with vessels of this size and the specific construction technique I used. A simple ship, but workable.

Stats:
-Classification: PCG (Gunboat)
-Role: Picket ship, patrol, interception, recon, limited anti-corvette/anti-frigate
-Dimensions:
      • Length: 212 meters
      • Beam: 177.5 meters
      • Draft: 36 meters
      • Mass: 1,354,680 metric tons
-Armaments: 3 turbolaser banks, 8 banks, 2 torpedo tubes
-Shielding:
      • Regenerative dual-layered; 16 Type 1a generators, 9 Type 1b generators, 10 Type 2 generators; 11.20 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 22.71 seconds
      • Modified Corvette Deflector Array; Rated to 3 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 2.4 seconds
-Armor/Hull:
      • Dual-layered Duranium-Titanium composite hull
      • 2.12" ablative standard; 3.6" near key areas
      • Vanadium-Tetraburnium allow weave throughout
-Impulse: 1x Enhanced-Output Reactive Impulse Drive
      • Impulse rating: 10
      • Acceleration rating: 10
      • Maneuver rating: 12
-FTL: 2x Jib Nacelles
      • MCW: 7.5
      • MEW: 9.86
-Power plant: Stable
      • 1x quaddirectional segmented core (main)
-Sensory/Comms:
      • Advanced Long-range recon-monitoring sensor suite
      • Tunneling FTL Detection scanners
      • Medium-range Tachyon detection grid
      • Enhanced long-range communications systems
-Crew:
      • 42 officers
      • 126 crew
      • 7 shuttle pilots
      • 16 strike craft pilots.
-Strike Craft:
      • 2 Valkyrie shuttles
      • Can carry additional craft, but rarely sorties with any
-Ammo: 296 standard torpedo casings
-Assault:
      • 45 marines
      • 8 Tempest hardsuits
-Other: N/A

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/87uyptks7po973v/PCS%20Torrent.lxf (Once again, expect technical difficulties ) It *should* work fine, apparently.

As always, comments/suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Stats!)

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

Re: Torrent-Class Gunboat

on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:08 pm
Actually if you take the one out of the middle and put it straight onto the post you'll also get the image, and you won't have to stick it in the "insert an image" tool. For future reference, if you have an image just type
Code:
[img]http://thisisyourimageurl.com/coolpictures/Torrent.jpg[/img]
Replacing the url with your picture's url. The "host an image" tool's second (the middle) url is set up to already be like that. You can then put spoiler tags around it
Code:
[spoiler]blabla stuff that would show up in teh spoiler in here [/spoiler]
and then it'll be in a spoiler, otherwise just leave it as

Oh and small side note, it should be PCG Torrent, not PCS Torrent. Wink

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:50 pm
Thanks guys, I'll try those ideas in a minute. Does it have to be on another site, though? I just have it on my computer... I mean, no problem if it has to, it'll just take a bit longer.

Also, sorry about calling it PCG; all the files are named under PCS (since I was part of Delta Fleet, and Jared5000 decreed that all ships should use PCS). I'll try to remember PCG in the future (no promises, though  Razz .

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:58 pm
It's not a big deal, just a little thing I keep noticing with some ships. Razz Just though I'ld let you know for the future.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:22 pm
I must concur with S-H, it SCREAMS patrol craft. Nice, simple, heavy-hitting, little ship. Smile

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 pm
I agree with Dino who agrees with Star-Hunter, it really looks nice and with the armament it has I can imagine it still looking nice even after a battle. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:15 pm
Nice ship! Looks really good! However, IMO, I think you should try to make the top more streamlined and curved like the bottom. It just looks too flat to me. But other than that, awesome ship. Very Happy
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:44 pm
(I know, I know, old thread, don't post, blah, blah, etc.)

Well, on a whim, I thought I might revisit my first ship uploaded here and give it some proper stats. Razz Appears I haven't actually replied to basically anyone's comments, so I guess I might as well do that as I bump. Razz

Ant: Yep. Razz

Dino: Considering how rusty I was when I dusted off LDD again, I'm pretty happy with how it came out- here I am, about a year and a half later, and I don't think I could do much better now. Razz (Provided, that has more to do with the small scale than anything, but still. Razz)

Talmid: Razz

PXR: Mebbe... but it's small, and smoothing out studs really isn't my strong point. Razz If I ever revisit, I'll see what I can do...

All: Thanks!

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum