Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

August-class Combat Cruiser

on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:54 pm
Well, so far I’ve uploaded a corvette, an frigate, and a battleship- which means I have yet to upload a cruiser. I’ve been meaning to upload this one for about a month now, so I figure now is as good a time as any. Razz

Spoiler:

Yes, I was too lazy to do more than one. Look, it's late at night; maybe later, I'll post more.

The August class is a medium cruiser was designed for (and most often used by) the PCG’s primary battle fleets. Although too expensive and difficult to repair to be deployed en masse on the PCG’s frontier outposts, it’s firepower and durability make it a favorite among fleet commanders.
  One key thing to note about the August is it’s new FTL propulsion drive, called the Subspace Frequency Insertion Drive, or SFID. It works on the same basic principles as warp drives, but uses them in an entirely different way.
  One of the greatest barriers to FTL travel is subspace vibration frequencies. These are caused by the tachyon waves Wave Motion Drives utilize. Mirroring the movement of said tachyons, subspace contorts in large frequency patterns (called the “subspace tachyon frequency”, shortened to STF), similar to how photons “vibrate” as waves. These wave massive distort any ship traveling through them with a different STF on all dimensions, effectively ripping the ship apart. Traditional warp drives work around this by creating a “bubble”, or subspace pocket, around the craft, which the waves can’t penetrate, thus allowing said ship to attain FTL speeds. However, while this system is safe and effective, it is very energy inefficient. For centuries, alternate forms of warp travel have been the subject of research to correct this problem. The issue was not so much that working alternatives could be designed- there were plenty of those- the problem was that none of them were practical, for various reasons (the sole exception being reverse-engineered Borg transwarp drives, but these required the vessel to travel between two set points, or transwarp hubs, for the same safety as normal warp drives).
  The SFID works somewhat differently to conventional warp drives; instead of bypassing the waves, it goes along with them. Normally, ships have an STF of 4-23 (most waves are in the 734 to 764 range), though it’s possible to have a ship anywhere from 0-47 without noticeable effects.    A ship equipped with a SFID, however, will match whatever frequency the wave it’s in is as it enters subspace, allowing it to travel along the wave safely. It does this by routing tachyons through the wings it the several-second time in between normal and subspace, bypassing the normal distortions that would be caused by changing the frequency beyond certain levels in either “spaces”. These routed tachyons distort the ship in the same degree as the “wave” is distorted, allowing it to move along said wave with impunity (changes between waves are gradual, allowing the ship to adjust in due time). It should be noted that the addition of the term “drive” is somewhat of a misnomer here, as the system does nothing to actually propel the ship; it merely allows it’s the ship to move along the waves via impulse power.
  Compared to normal warp drives, the SFID carries several disadvantages, the primary one being speed: with current technology, the fastest speed an SFID-equipped ship can travel is warp 7.2938 (although most attack fleets travel slower than this anyway, due to smaller ship not having the endurance to travel at even these speeds for extended periods*). Another disadvantage is the amount of time it takes for the device to cool down and recharge, which is signofigantlt longer than the warp drive on most vessels (due to the device’s “new” nature, maintenance and mechanical failure are also problems, but not very bad). However, the device takes significantly less power to run, thus allowing it to pack much more firepower, shields, and pretty much anything else it needs. another huge advantage is that the device can generate a field similar to a starship’s deflector shielding, meaning that those aren’t necessary either.
  Because the whole point of the design was to act as a main cruiser for battle fleets, the ship had a generous budget too. Thus, the ship was mounted with an isokinetic cannon and ablative armor generators, equipment rarely seen off battleships (although she still is considered a cruiser and not a pocket battleship).  She is also armed with many railguns, though she is a little light on torpedoes.
  Aside from the Admonitor, this is the only vessel of mine I say would be on-par with the works of Dino, Scare, and others; I’m not sure what, but something about the design I really like (which probably explains it- I stole the general shape from Superdude’s Varda frigate. Razz). the color scheme works pretty well IMHO; this was from before the whole idea of having navy blue and dark red on the same ship, and I think it was for the better because of it. This is also by far my favorite SNOT ship I’ve ever done; the whole thing is connected by four brick in the middle, which turned out pretty seamless IMHO. Overall, I just love the ship, and I’m not entirely sure why. Razz In fact, I so love the ship, I made up that whole SFID thing just to get out of ruining is with warp nacelles and deflector dishes (yes, really). Razz

Stats:
-Classification: PCC (Phoenix Combat Cruiser)
-Role: Heavy cruiser
-Armaments: 13 railguns, 4 fore torpedo tubes, 2 aft torpedo tubes, 28 phaser arrays, 1 isokinetic cannon (it's been there the whole time, I just forgot to mention it here Razz)
-Shielding: 31 shield generators spread throughout the ship; SFID arrayed to provide deflective shielding
-Dimensions: 776 meters long x 272 meters wide x 87 meters high
-Armor: 2.3 inches average; up to 3.6 in important areas.
-Impulse: 2 standard impulse engines, max speed warp .9
-Warp: SFID Mk.III, max warp 7.2938
-Sensors: Standard, range 60,000 kilometers
-Crew: 32 officers, 387 crew, 56 pilots, 35 marines
-Strike Craft: 2 full squadrons of Battleaxe fighters, 3 Valkyrie shuttles

Dropbox .lxf link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfkgtxq0x64wzo9/PCG%20August%20NCC.lxf

*By “extended periods”, I mean 2-4 days, which is usually the speed it takes to arrive at warp 7-8 (the speed most smaller ships cap out at).

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spacing! =P)

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

Re: August-class Combat Cruiser

on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 pm
I must say, this is a very good ship. I would take out some of the trans blue pieces as some seem to be out of place. I really like the overall shape, especially the front. The August reminds me a bit of the corvette transports from SST.

I like the coloring you did between gray and crimson. It gives it an extra "flare".

And I like the SFID, after rereading it twice to finally understand it, it does make a lot of sense. Razz However, I don't see why speed is a problem. I'm not even going to try to explain why I say so because I know nothing about astrophysics. Razz Nevermind, I figured out why,

Anyway, aesthetically, great ship. IMHO, it's a bit underarmed, but considering the firepower of the individual weapons, pretty well balanced.
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 am
@PXR: Oh, you WOULD say that it's underarmed. Razz

@MM: This is a pretty cool ship! Very Happy It's unorthodox in terms of ST ship design, yet still has a semblance of its ST origins. It reminds me of Scare's Iechonias a bit, actually. The trans-blue pieces on the top break up the design nicely and add some nice detail to an otherwise barren hull. Like you pointed out, the SNOT work is nice, and the dark grey (rather than the light grey) with the dark red detailing gives it a powerful look. I would probably go over it once again and add more detailing to the hull, but other than that, this is a very nice vessel! Very Happy
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:52 am
@Kojan: Lol, I'm predictable. Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 am
PXR- Yeah, you would. Razz

Although you're right about one thing- there aren't too many weapons, but the ones that are there are powerful. It's built primarily as an anti-cruiser/anti-light-cap-ship vessel, so each weapon has a lot of hitting power.

Not familiar with "SST" (I don't even know what that stand for Razz), but I sorta see the resemblance.

Kojan- Thanks! I wasn't thinking of the Iechonias, but I see where you're coming from now that you mention it. there's some more detailing on the bottom hull; I'd add some at the top, but I'm afraid it would clutter up the ship; might try it later, though.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 am
@Mightyman: Lol! Yeah, the quality is what matters! Razz SST stands for StarShip Troopers.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:55 am
I REALLY like this ship!!! I will look at it in LDD, and comment further when I'm not on my phone. That's a GOOD piece of work!!! Most impressive....

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 am
PXR- Ah, Starship Troopers! I really need to see that movie...

Dino- Good to hear. Razz

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum