Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

Sovereign Class Battleship

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm
~ Start Entry ~

At its peak, the Sovereign Class starship was the standard battlecruiser of Starfleet, and it remains a good core of the fleet even today.  The Sovereign class though on the large side is also very agile and can maneuver quite well.

Since it's original launch, this starship class has received a refit that enlarged the hanger bay quite a bit, allowing for a few fighters and dropships.

- Specifications -

Length: 685.7 Meters
Beam: 250.6 Meters
Height: 88.2
Crew: 450 Typically (Starfleet typically utilizes 885 crewmembers) A maximum occupancy of 9,800 is allowed for.
Space Marine Detachment: 100
Fighter Pilots: 3 with 2 in reserve
Dropship/Shuttle Pilots: 8 with 3 in reserve
Fighter Contingent: 3 F-101 Daggers
Dropship Contingent: 2 D-12 Nighthawk Dropships
Shuttlecraft:
Deflector Dish: Zeta Class Deflector Dish
Armor: 7 feet of High Density Tenatium Armor with a Heavy Coating of Ablative Armor
Warp Nacelle: Sigma Class Warp Nacelles x2
Average Cruising Speed: Warp 8.5
Maximum Cruising Speed: Warp 9.5
Weapons: Quantam Torpedo Launcers x12, Sonic Torpedo Launchers x6, Quantam Phaser Arrays, x14, Pulse Beam Cannons x20

- Images -

- Original Sovereign -

- .lxf -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60jud3dpwgx5qeb/Sovereign%20Class%20Mk.%20II%20-%20Perfect%20Grade.lxf?dl=0

~ End Entry ~

Last edited by Johnnyred on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:44 am; edited 8 times in total

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Re: Sovereign Class Battleship

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 pm
Thanks for that complement! That means a lot from the master himself. Razz

Hmmm... as far as the saucer and nacelles go, I'm sure they the saucer is the correct dimensions, however, the nacelles may possibly be too short. It's hard to determine how long nacelles should be. I'm able to find information on the Length, Beam, and Height of each ship, the dimensions for warp nacelles aren't easy to find. I'll see what I can do to find out the appropriate specs for the nacelle and rectify the problem. Part of it may be that the pylons are too large. that's my guess.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 pm
This is really good! I never saw the original Sovereign until now, but I think the new version is a definite upgrade. I especially like the shape of the new nacelles. As far as how long they should be, I think the length that gives optimum coolness factor (for me anyway) would be about 4-6 studs longer than they are now. Love it! Very Happy

Character sheet

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:35 pm
I can do 4-6 studs longer easily. I'll do a little readjusting tonight. Razz

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:56 pm
Awesome ship! The Sovereign is my fav canon ST ship, and you definitely did a great job staying accurate to it. I love those nacelles! They are amazing! Personally, I think you should keep the nacelle pylons the same color (white or gray), but that's just IMO. Either way, great ship!
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 pm
I love those naccles, and even though I'm not a huge fan of canon ST ships, this is a pretty nice ship. Razz Great job all around! The rear of the engineering sections seems a bit thin/odd/awkward though, maybe it's the slope difference from top and bottom.....not sure.....

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:28 pm
There are some absolutely gorgeous build techniques here, and that first image truly captures the Sovereign class.

But I am going to be completely honest: it isn't that accurate proportionally to the canon Sovereign. I know you are capable of greater accuracy. You get lost in coming up with ingenious SNOT methods that allow for impossibly awesome models, but I know you can achieve extreme accuracy AND amazing SNOT designs. I saw you do it with the Enterprise A, and you can do it now, more practiced than you were then. And so I am going to push you to your limits here, not because this model is bad, but because I know you can do even better.

Please understand that when I critique, it is not me complaining, nor is it me telling you that your work is inadequate, but because it isn't achieving your full potential. Watch my amount of critiques when I comment on a creation. I pretty much have 3 levels:
1: it's so awesome that it needs no/very little improvement. And, or, I am tired and lazy and there is nothing obvious about it that I don't really like.
2: it's very good, for the skill level of the builder, so I don't push much. I try to help the builder where they are, whether that be rainbow bricks "my first MOC!!!" or a "4.5 out of 5 100th creation."
3: I push, because it is not the absolute best work that the masterful skills of the builder who created it are capable of.

I push for even better because you are one of the best.
Please take this as my trying to be of what limited help I can to those higher than myself in skill.

And now, down to my suggestions.  

The proportions seem very far off from the canon class.

I feel confident saying this because I have studied the Sovereign class more than any other canon Trek vessel. And because I doubled-checked against the interwebs. Razz (which makes me an expert [NOT!] Razz )

Here is a pretty good, but not perfect, (but the best I have been able to find) multi position view of the Sov. The Sovereign pictured below has an engineering hull that is too boxy from the head-on view; but other than that, it is a very good 5-view look at the ship.

Your saucer is simply FAR too large overall (length, width, and height, compared to the rest of the ship.
    The dorsal fore-end of your engineering hull does not meet up smoothly with the back of the saucer. (There is a step down from saucer to engineering hull, this problem may correct itself with a smaller overall saucer.)
    The impulse engines seem too small compared to the rear of the ship.  
    Your nacelles are too short, but how short is hard to tell compared to the massive saucer. (Might I suggest you reuse that beautiful saucer on another class sometime? *But make a smooth transition into the engineering hull* It really is a work of art, just not to scale with the rest of the ship.)
    The engineering hull of your ship is too short, I believe. (Perhaps lengthen it by 2-4 studs? It lacks the stern tail/hanger section/thingy.)
    The lower-most ventral area of your refit (the "belly",) is too short and lacking in depth. (I suggest that you lengthen it by about 3 studs, and make it a plate deeper or so.)
    Your nacelle pylons are too "long" from front to back from the side view. (They appear to extend the correct distance from the hull, but they are too large from stem to stern.)

That said, there are some ingenious and masterful aspects of this ship. The nacelles for one, are beauteous. And the SNOT work for another. Well done there.

This feels like the other two Assault Cruisers from STO (Majestic and Noble classes) but not quite like the Sovereign. Perhaps it could be a subtype/re-refit if you just lengthened the nacelles and left the rest alone?

Talent went into this ship, the problem is that you don't have hours of excess time in which to switch between views of a computer assisted design Lego fictional space faring vessel, and pictures of the original model/computer generated images of said fictional space faring vessel.  Razz

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 pm
You wouldn't happen to have links to actual dimensions of the warp nacelles, engineering hull, etc. Would you? I've been using Memory Alpha, but the only have the overall specs.

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 pm
I can try to find some, but the internet is full of people who know much, but understand little. (AKA, make up whatever they want the answer to be)

Here is one (POSSIBLE) opinion.

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:39 am
So... according to those stats... My Sovereign is spot on with the exception of the primary hull (One stud too long, not enough to worry about.  Razz)  and the warp nacelles.  Which were three studs too long.  I think that the primary thing throwing it off is the nacelle pylons.  They're way too wide.  I didn't realize it until S-H pointed out that there was something off about the nacelles.

I've lengthened the warp nacelles by three, shortened the pylons by two, and brought the nacelles forward on the pylons by one and everything fits within their measurements. I also did thin the primary hull by a tiny bit, I think it might've been a tad too thick.  I'll have the updated version up tomorrow!
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:41 am
I look forward to seeing it. I hope those specs are right.

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:55 pm
Leave it to Dino when it comes to Sovereigns. Wink

I must say you did an EXCELLENT job with the SNOT technique and sleekness of the vessel. As a ship, I think it's practically perfect (save that the saucer might be a bit on the thick side toward the rear). As a Sovereign, it's better than anything I ever built, but after Dino uploaded those Sovereign pics, well, I would say two main things: make the saucer thinner in the rear, and lengthen the nacelles. Otherwise, excellent work, J-red!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 pm
Bumpety bump. I've made a few slight adjustments, now check her out everyone and tell me what you think.

The only changes I made were a different lower dish on the lower hull, lengthened the nacelles, and shortened the pylons, as well as move the nacelles up a little more on the pylons. Aside from that, all the other measurements were correct, and the few things that could be done to make her a little more smoothed out aren't possible to do without completely rebuilding the ship.

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum