Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Narkova Drive Yards Resolute-Class Cruiser Empty Narkova Drive Yards Resolute-Class Cruiser

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:40 pm
First off, I'd like to say thank you to Dino, Mirage, and all the others who helped me with the hull design on this ship. Danke! Razz

So, without further ado, ta-da!

NDY Resolute-Class Cruiser:

The Resolute-Class is designed to be a relatively all-purpose combat vessel. It is armed and armored enough to hold its own in a fight, but can also carry and deploy fighters, gunships, and small to medium-sized landing craft. These are held and deployed from two side hangars and a large dorsal hangar bay.

I built this ship to look like something you would find in the Republic navy next to a Venator or two trying to break through a Separatist blockade. It took me 15+ total hours of tinkering and experimenting with various building techniques, trying to get the shape of the hull right. Since I couldn't replicate RMM's mind-boggling angles from one of his Venators, I tried a whole bunch of different ways suggested by all y'all. In the end, however, I decided on a SNOT hull that had a similar outline to the two hull panels I started with.

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

Although it may not look like it, the whole ship is SNOT, aside from the bricks on the front with the studs pointing "forward." The central structure is a stack of bricks with side-mounted studs laid down on its side.

The engines were really fun to build. I was trying to make them in a similar style to the engines of classic Star Wars capital vessels. It took some time to get the angles right, but I'm very pleased with how they came out.

Pic 3:

Pic 4:

An .lxf will be live on the LEGO gallery soon. I'll post the link here when it is.

Enjoy! Razz
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Narkova Drive Yards Resolute-Class Cruiser Empty Re: Narkova Drive Yards Resolute-Class Cruiser

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 pm
That's really nice! It truly looks strongly-armored. Smile
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Narkova Drive Yards Resolute-Class Cruiser Empty Re: Narkova Drive Yards Resolute-Class Cruiser

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 am
That's a great starship! Glad I could help! Firstly, let me say, the color scheme is epic. Razz Very Happy I really like the hangar bay in the middle and top and bottom sides. They remind me of the hangar bays on the Providence CIS ships from Star Wars VI (aka III in SW chronological order) and in TCW (Admiral Trench's Invincibility I think). Though some may say the ship is too bulky, I for one love the bulk as it adds depth and a certain "sleekness" so to speak to the ship. Overall, awesome design!
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 pm
Very nice ship, Spud! Forgive me if I do with this what I've done with designs Arik's developed (even the ones with my input) and adapt certain aspects of the ship (though technically I kinda already did Razz).

It does look like a smaller, more-solid version of a Venator-class, and I like the SNOT a bit better than all the angles, if I do say so myself.
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm
Talmid: Thanks!

PXR: Danke! I thought so, too. I was going for the whole "Republic Space navy" look, and you can't have a Republic Space navy ship without gray and red. Very Happy I included the dorsal hangar because 1) it looks really cool on a Venator, and 2) I couldn't figure out what else to put there. Razz I like the bulk as well. It makes the ship look more able to assert its dominance over inferior vessels. Very Happy

Jace: Thank you! In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't try to do a hull made out of plates set on an angle. This one definitely does look better, I think.

By the way everyone, the LEGO gallery seems to be broken again. I'll see if I can put the .lxf file up somewhere.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm
NIIIIIICE! It's chunky, but I like it on this ship. It doesn't look fast, but it looks like it could take a LOT of fire, even with its shields down. I have but two complaints.

1: It doesn't really have side trenches, rather, it has dark red armor there. More greebling would be nice alone the sides.
2: it lacks weapons. I know you aim for sleek vessels, but please give it a half dozen heavy turbolaser turrets, it looks so empty without those big heavy guns.

Other than that, this is a very pleasing design, even if RMM's way with the Star Destroyers remains a mystery. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 pm
Dino27 wrote:...but please give it a half dozen heavy turbolaser turrets...

Or give it eight - four on top, four on the bottom.
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:02 pm
Dino: Mm hm... Yeah, I see what you mean about the weapons. Weapons are sort of implied to be on my later ships, but I'll see what I can do. There are some good weapon emplacement spots that I can see now that I'm looking over it again.

As for the absence of trenches, I decided that this ship looks better without them, although I may be able to tweak the red armor a bit. Thanks!

Jace: Why stop there? Dun dun duuuuun! Twisted Evil 
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:55 pm
Lord General Spud wrote:Jace: Why stop there? Dun dun duuuuun! Twisted Evil 

Mainly because of realism. A cruiser-sized vessel (400-600 meters) wouldn't have so much power to use that kind of firepower and still have an armament appropriate for battle. That and there's a point where you can have too many guns on the model.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lord Commandant Jace on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm
@Spud:
Spoiler:
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 pm
PXR: Missiles, eh? I'll look into it!

Everyone: The .lxf is now available on the LEGO Gallery. I'll get a modified version of the Resolute up in a day or two.

Link to LXF:
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum