Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

GAV-1 Velociraptor Empty GAV-1 Velociraptor

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:10 am
GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_10

The GAV-1 Velociraptor, or simply "Raptor" as it is commonly referred to, is the medium tank for PXE ground forces. It is a hover tank design, allowing it extreme maneuverability and agility, but with a much higher cost than a conventional tread tank. Velociraptors are well-armed and well-equipped for almost any type of mission. It's armor is moderate, being less heavy than conventional tanks due to its reliance on the hover pods. (don't ask me how these work, I have no idea, I think something similar to the antigrav repulsorlifts in SW but I'm not sure if that's a good idea Razz)

Velociraptors can fulfill almost any role, from scout and recon unit, to APC, to anti-infantry, to MBT, to limited anti-fighter roles. Its speed and advanced visual and kinetic scanning systems allow it to quickly scan a certain area, report back to command, and return, all without the enemy noticing. Its large body allows it to carry a squadron of ten troops that can be deployed from a rear ramp. Velociraptors can quickly head into the heat of battle, deploy, then leave or likewise, rapidly rush into a battlefield and retrieve trapped or injured troops. Anti-infantry weapons are located throughout the entire vehicle, from the turret to the hover pods. Its main energy cannon can quickly fire over and over again which can cause extremely heavy damage in a short amount of time. In addition, the missile pod located on the turret can shoot down enemy fighters or heavily armored vehicles, and the anti-infantry cannons can double as anti-fighter cannons due to their high mobility.

The Velociraptor, as the current MBT for PXE forces, is heavily armed to deal with anything. AIT-1 and AIT-2's can quickly take out infantry forces or fighter units with their high mobility and rapid motion. In addition, a HAIT-1 located on the turret can shoot at infantry with its rotary cannon, grenade launcher, or heavy cannon. An AARC-1 at the very front of the Velociraptor can fire rapid bolts of energy to strip a target of its shields or armor relatively quickly and is very useful against fast, light to medium armored units. A massive MLP-1 can fire SA/AM-1's (surface-air/armor missile) to knock out an incoming fighter squadron or a group of infantry and/or tanks. Finally, most importantly, is the Velociraptor's AAT-1, a weapon that can quickly devastate other tanks within milliseconds to seconds by firing quick, powerful pulses of energy. This weapon is equally devastating against large groups of infantry or medium units.

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_10
AIT-1's on the hover pod

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_11
AIT-2's (the rear ramp is also shown)

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_12
AARC-1

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_13
HAIT-1 & MLP-1

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_14
AAT-1

The Velociraptor decently armored with absorbic armor plating, like all PXE units. Absorbic armor is light but relatively effective, but is still seen in considerably small amounts on the GAV-1. It is also equipped with HTSG-1 prototype and an ASG-3, which improves the Velociraptor's survivability significantly. Armor is very heavy near the delicate hover pods, and each is equipped with individual grid generators. This makes them much less vulnerable, while also maintaining the vehicle's overall speed and agility.

A Velociraptor, being a hover tank, is pretty much capable of traversing nearly any terrain, simply by adjusting power output. (I think Razz) Its agility is extremely high, allowing it to dodge out of the way of enemy fire and evading unguided projectiles and shells. It can also escape the blast of a mine (depends on the mine and its trigger time, it might not even trigger in some cases) in rare cases. The Velociraptor is quite capable of outrunning tread tanks and even light tread tanks.

The Velociraptor requires a total of seven operators. One is obviously the driver. All other six are gunners, in at least one way. A gunner can be seated at the turret by climbing a stair (which I finally returned to after some inspiration by my Puma tank from the PEF era on the LUCL) to operate the AAT-1, HAIT-1, and MLP-1. The other five gunners control the lighter weaponry and perform secondary tasks, such as communications and such. In addition to the seven operators, the Velociraptor can deliver a fully-armed and armored combat-ready squadron to the frontlines, making it very versatile.

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_15
Operators

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_16
A cutaway view; you can see the operators and the tool racks, as well as the stair leading to the turret. The trans orange all over the top of the vehicle and in the ramp are lights.

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_17
The ten-man squadron prepares to deploy. Nine of them are armed with HHA-1's, while the tenth carriers a HHA-4, which is a pod equipped with four individual launchers. (inspired by the triple barrel launcher from Starship Troopers: Roughnecks Razz)

Model: GAV-1 Velociraptor
Manufacturer: PXE
Produced: 2603 - present

Affiliation: PXE Army
In service: 2604 - present (approx. four rotations of testing)
Roles: MBT, APC, anti-infantry, anti-air, infantry support, communications platform, mobile defense unit, reconnaissance unit, scout, stealth unit

Armaments:
x4 AIT-1
x4 AIT-2
x1 AARC-1
x1 HAIT-1
x1 MLP-1
x1 AAT-1

Defenses:
3.5 - 4.6 cm absorbic armor
ASG-3
HTSG-1 (prototype)

Powerplant: LBRCEG-1

Maximum Speed: 180 km/h (approx 111 mph)

Communications:
DIS-XXX*
FIS-XXX**
CIS-1
CIS-2
CIS-3
CCIS

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_18
Visual sensory/communications arrays

Capacity:
1 pilot
1 turret gunner
5 gunners (with other roles)
1 squadron (10 troops)

Cost: 104,000 SPXC (btw, if you think this is cheap, the SPXS or Standard PhoeniX Capital has much more monetary value than a modern Euro, USD, Yen, or any other modern RL currency)

*represents divison's numerical designation
**indicates fleet numerical designation (if the division is based in fleet)

LXF: http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/starwars/gallery/4f2837bf-b22c-42c0-8470-14a6d86a1b41

Well, this tank I must say, was difficult. I started this about five days ago. Scrapped probably two to three designs each with about eight hours of work, which was really frustrating. I spent probably two to three hours trying to revamp each design to work and none worked. So, I decided to start over completely, with a fresh design. And, I must say, this turned out very different from what I envisioned, but, at least IMHO, much better than what I wanted. (besides the very front which is IMO, terrible) I was very super uber happy with the turret design, despite the constant revamping I had to perform on it for enhanced turret mobility and fitting a gunner, while still accommodating the stairway. I'm also happy with the interior, especially the "harness" around each soldier (also inspired by Star Ship Troopers and Starship Troopers Chronicles: Roughnecks Razz) and the lighting, albeit these were quite simple to design. I really like the front controls, but not the exterior of the front. And I must say, I absolutely love the weapons I put on it.

Although I always appreciate constructive criticism, I doubt I will actually change anything with the Velociraptor. It took a lot of time and was extremely frustrating at times. But it worked out pretty well in the end. Smile Anyway, my reason is mostly because I'm already happy the way it turned out, and also the fact that it would be very difficult to change much right now, especially after the time and frustration it took. Hope all of you understand! Wink

Last edited by PXR on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

GAV-1 Velociraptor Empty Re: GAV-1 Velociraptor

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:26 pm
Wow, this is great! You've managed to bring your greebling skills from your microscale capital ships to a minifig-scale model, and it works! The attention to detail is amazing here. I never would have thought about putting lights in the interior for the operators. Razz Honestly, the only thing I might do to sort of round it all out is to add a bit more detail on the flat surface underneath the turret. You could replace some of those tiles with 1x2 vents or something, just to complete the look. But that's just me. I love this tank anyway! Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:14 pm
@Spud: Thanks! Glad you like it. Okay, that sounds easy enough. Razz I'll try that in just a second...two...three. Razz Thank you!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 pm
You're welcome! Very Happy
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 pm
Um, 100K in USD for something like that is very cheap. The M1A1 Abrams tank costs about nine million USD. Without all the bells, whistles, hover pods, etc. the Raptor does.

However. Awesome design.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:51 pm
@Spud: GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_19

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_20

Here's some detailing I did after taking your advice. Smile I added the details directly under the turret area.

@Jace: Thanks! IK, I meant that SPXC has a lot, and I mean a lot more value than a USD. I'm not sure the exact ratio, but for a guess, I'd say this costs 1.5 - 1.75 times more than an Abrams.

I also decided to change the turret so that the gunner could actually sit facing forward (pathetic IK, IK Razz). I also added some more turret controls.

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_21

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_22

GAV-1 Velociraptor Gav-1_23
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 pm
(heart skips a beat)

You had me at "Velociraptor."

(...)

I was about to say "why change anything?!" until I saw the pictures of the improved version... wow... so awesome... I LOVE IT!

I have but two suggestions, and they are not really about the design.

1: I feel like it needs some dark gray "camo" to add depth and interest, purely aesthetically.
2: Might I suggest with your weapons classifications, that you include the role in the name? Because I can't keep track of what everything does. Razz (EG, AA39a heavy machine gun)

Aside from that, I really like this!(!!!) Very Happy And I didn't even notice the front until you mentioned it. And although I don't love the front, I don't dislike it in the least. I understand about trying to fit figs in vehicles. One method that I find helps to get front armor on a tank to go low, it to have the crew seated, but leaning back. This gives you less room that has to be present in the vehicle frame. The crews don't like it, but it can help with armor shaping.

Anyways, VERY nice work!!! It almost reminds me of a super modern take on the WWI tanks... wow... such a great design! The detailing is fabulous! To say that I love it would be a major understatement.
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 pm
There you go! The new version makes some big improvements over an already great model. Great work! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 pm
@Dino: Lol. Wow! Very glad you like it!

Okay, I can see where you're coming from with the camo part. Do you think I should do the rest of the vehicle like the turret (in terms of coloring)? I can definitely see what you mean, especially since most of the tank's body is medium gray. Razz Okay, I'll do that. Razz I'll come up with a list for all of the weapons in just a second.

Lol, okay, I'll try that then. Razz

And thank you very much! Very Happy

@Spud: Glad you like the new version!

Okay, here is a list for all the weapons on the Velociraptor.
AIT: Anti-Infantry Turret
AARC: Anti-Armor Rotary Cannon
HAIT: Heavy Anti-Infantry Turret
MLP: (not My Little Pony Razz) Missile Launcher Pod/Platform
AAT: (no, not the Droids' tanks Razz) Anti-Armor Turret
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm
DROID TANKS AND PONIES!!!! SCARY! Razz

Hey, it's hard not to like an awesome tank.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm
@Dino: Lol, it's even harder not to like an awesome tank built by droids and piloted by ponies! Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 pm
[Dies of laughter]
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:23 pm
PXR, you are officially given 5 demerits for exhibiting excessive funniness. Don't let it happen again. (kidding) Razz

By the way, can someone resuscitate Dino, please? Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 pm
@Spud: Ooh, ooh, ooh, danke, danke, danke! Razz So I don't get charged for murder? Razz

Oh, hahaha, Dino, nah, no thanks, I'm feeling lazy and in the non-heroic mood today. Razz
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 pm
Nope! Razz

(BTW mods, this is not a one-word post by any definition. Very Happy )
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:11 am
@Spud: Lol, I see what you did there. Razz *gives Dino CPR for one second* Oh well, I tried. Razz So, who's next? Razz
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum