Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

AAF-4 Skylark Empty AAF-4 Skylark

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:45 pm
AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_10

The AAF-4 Skylark is like a mix between a F-22 Raptor, a F-117 Nighthawk, and a F-76 Thunderbolt "TAC" fighter from Starship Troopers. The Skylark is a tandem-pilot stealth fighter, capable of slipping behind enemy lines, and evading many sorts of scanners. With its weapons mounted internally, the AAF-4 can evade radar, while limited exhaust can evade thermalkinetic scanners. Several other precautions severely compromise an enemy's ability to detect the Skylark, making it a very dangerous threat.

The Skylark is equipped with six different bays. One is in the very rear of the fighter, which is basically a service platform to the primary engine to ease the maintenance work for the engines. However, the other five bays all carry weapons. AAF-4's are capable of carrying almost any type of missile. Though this increases weight severely, the Skylark has very powerful engines and thrusters, allowing it to carry its payload relatively quickly. Moderate armor plating, in addition to hypothermal and hyperthermal armor protect the fighter from enemy fire. However, the Skylark's real advantage is its stealth capabilities. With its weapons mounted internally, RAM, almost no random protrusions, and hyperthermal and hypothermal armor, the AAF-4 can remain virtually invisible to almost all types of scanner and detection systems until it's too late. Because of its devastating firepower and payload, as well as moderately heavy armor, the AAF-4 shouldn't be very fast or maneuverable. But it is. Tilting flaps, massive wings, and large intakes all contribute to the Skylark's maneuverability, making it a dangerous adversary in dogfights. It's SLPT-9, 10's, and 11's give the AAF-4 huge thrust. In addition, a Mk. 4 drive is equipped: slower, but still warp-capable. All of these advantages, combined with the sheer size of the Skylark very expensive. Some argue that many conventional bomber is better than just one stealth bomber. Its difficulty to maintain or repair, high energy consumption, massive cost, and large size have all fueled this argument. Nevertheless, the Skylark remains in mass production, due to its versatility and firepower, making it a mainstay in the PXE Air Force

Skylarks are heavily armed with many MLP's as well as several energy weapons. The frontal weapons bay, directly behind the cockpit, carries HARC-2's. These weapons are positioned on multiple joints, which allow them to fold inwards for internal storage or fold outward for use against enemy fighters. Its ability to incline or decline make it effective for targeting ground units as well, and give it more flexibility than a static emplacement, like those found on most other fighters.

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_10
the Heavy Assault Rotary Cannons (HARC)-2's with their joints folded for storage

However, most of the Skylark's firepower comes from its massive amounts of missiles.

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_16
all bays closed

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_11
all bays exposed (the bays are capable of hinging (I've checked) but my LDD for some reason would not cooperate, and it kept lagging and even crashed twice, so I did not hinge them open/sorry about that)

The three central bays are equipped with MLP-2's, which are all mounted on joints. This way, when the bays are opened, the forward launchers can swing down and begin firing immediately. When the forward launchers are exhausted, they are pulled back in, and the rear launchers swing down and begin firing. By the time the rear launchers are exhausted, the forward launchers will have enough time to reassemble and can continue firing after swing back down. Thanks to this system, the Skylark can carry huge amounts of missiles without the problems of jamming, overheating, and extended reloading periods.

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_12
the MLP-2's with their joints (in this case, the launchers are armed with AFM-1's, but they can be equipped with a variety of missiles such as ASM-6's, ASM-8's, AGM-2's, etc)

The rear armaments bay, in front of the maintenance bay, is equipped with racks. In this case, they are loaded with AGM-1's. However, like the MLP-2's these can be armed with a variety of compatible missiles. The rack system works by dropping the bottom-most missiles (the missiles auto-ignite after they have reached a certain distance from the fighter), then releasing the upper missiles. Thus, they avoid hitting each other or the racks (as each rack is positioned differently).

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_13
the rack containing AGM-1's (as you can see, the missiles are not parallel to avoid hitting each other or the racks

The PXE is thinking of modifying the AAF-4 for non-stealth heavy bomber use. There are several external hardpoints located throughout the fighter, which can be equipped if stealth is unnecessary.

Though the AAF-4 is a stealth fighter, it is heavily armored for dogfighting or bombing missions when it must open its bomb bays. Therefore, like all other PXE units, the Skylark is covered in absorbic armor plating. In addition, hypothermal and hyperthermal armor is present to protect it from poor weather conditions and to a limited degree, thermalkinetic scanners. RAM protects the fighter from radar detection, and heat exhaust from the engines is very limited. The AAF-4 is equipped with an ASG-2 and HTSG-2 for shielding. And like the AAF-1B, the Skylark is also equipped with the prototype DSG-1.

Thought he Skylark may look quite bulky, its advanced wing flaps, air intakes, rudders, and large wings give it extreme maneuverability that would normally be impossible for a fighter this size. It takes advantage of these additions in atmospheric combat, dodging in and out of enemy fire and fighters. Despite its bulky size, the Skylark is actually more maneuverable than the Phoenix, albeit slower.

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_14
flap, SLPT-10, rudder

The AAF-4 relies on the central mounted SLPT-9 and the two SLPT-10's and SLPT-11's for sublight propulsion. They can push the Skylark at relatively high speeds, but for a very short amount of time only. It's warp capabilities are also somewhat limited, with a maximum warp factor of only 8.9..., thanks to the Mk. 4 drive. Nevertheless, the Skylark can take a dogfighting role, as its speed is not excessively slow.

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_15
SLPT-9 and SLPT-11's

Model: AAF-4 Skylark
Manufacturer: PXE
Produced: 2604 - present
Cost: approx. 1,236,000 SPXC

Affiliation: PXE Air Force
In service: 2604 - present
Roles: stealth fighter, stealth bomber, fighter, heavy assault fighter, advanced assault fighter, heavy bomber, multirole fighter

Armaments:
x4 HARC-2's
x8 MLP-2's (in pics, equipped with AFM-1's/6 missiles per MLP)
x8 AGM-1's (in pics)

Defenses:
2.3 - 4.0 cm absorbic armor
0.2 cm hyperthermal armor
0.2 cm hypothermal armor
0.2 cm RAM

ASG-2
HTSG-2
DSG-1 prototype

Warp Propulsion: Mk. 4 drive
Warp Capabilities: WF 8.9...

Sublight Propulsion:
x1 SLPT-9
x2 SLPT-10's
x2 SLPT-11's
Sublight Capabilities: Mach 5.3

Powerplant:
LBMCEG-1

Communications:
FIS-XXX
DIS-XXX
SIS-XXX
CIS-1
CIS-2
CIS-3
CCIS

Complement:
x1 pilot
x1 gunner
PANS

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_17
cockpit

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_18
gunner

I'm actually very happy with how the fighter came out. I must admit that I really like the swinging down missile pods and the bays themselves as well as the overall bomber "look" and dual person cockpit. It was pretty frustrating at times (as LDD crashed) but overall, I love the bulky/sleek mix. I actually forgot the landing gear which added at the very end but overall, this is definitely one of my favorite fighters I've ever designed.

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_19
very small and unproportional landing gear

AAF-4 Skylark Aaf-4_20
squadron emblem and landing gear

lxf: http://www.us.lego.com/en-us/starwars/gallery?memberid=FlamingEagle8

Last edited by PXR on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

AAF-4 Skylark Empty Re: AAF-4 Skylark

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 am
Well, it's definitely unique, I'll give you that. I really like the way you built the folding weapons. However, I do have a hard time picturing this fighter performing up to snuff in atmospheric dogfights, because the wing shape is not very... what's the word... wingy. Razz It doesn't feel like a fast, stealthy lightning striker. I think that this vehicle would be better suited as a heavy bomber instead of a stealth fighter. Nevertheless, I like the model as a whole. Nice work! Smile
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:21 am
@Spud: Okay then... Well, the thing is, the sheer amount of AFM's the Skylark can carry would probably take out most of the fighters before they even got close. Razz Glad you like the weapons though! Razz Anyway, thank you!
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:04 pm
I agree with Spud that it looks a lot like a powerful bomber. Very Happy And those missiles probably could take out a lot of enemy fighters, unless they decide to go all ninja-style in evading them, which they most likely will try to do, at least.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 pm
I like it, but I can't see this thing being maneuverable, at all. I'd reclassify this as a stealth bomber and forget about dogfights. Although it could still take out a bunch of enemy fighters if it could line up with them.

Back to the design, I like your internal weapons bays a lot! And that squadron emblem design is pure genius. Well done.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:03 pm
@Talmid & Dino: Well you guys know I like to go OP tactically-inclined right? Razz Okay fine, stealth bomber... Razz Which reminds me, I still need to do the non-stealthed version. Razz

@Talmid: Thanks! Lol, either way works. Razz

@Dino: Thank you!

@Everyone: Although, the reason why it's a fighter is because it has no external armaments and it has all those airfoils and stuff.
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:12 pm
GASP!!!!

That is one EXCELLENT minifig-scale ship, Mirage! Looks like you did a great job with detailing, design, and color scheme. Superb!

I can't open the .lxf file on the link you gave...mind uploading it to the normal Lego Gallery? It might work for me there...IDK.

Again, excellent job!
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm
@Scarecrow: I'll try, but I won't be able to for about two days. Try clicking it again, it works for me. Sorry about that though. Anyway, thank you!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum