Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

Career suggestions?

on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:02 pm
First of all, just in case all this serious life stuff makes you concerned that I might be going away, forget about it! I have no plans to leave the PCG in the next several years, at least, of the future. So you're stuck with me for a while. Smile And IF I had to retire at some point, I have no plans of just dropping off the map, I might have to focus on work/IRL stuff much more at some point in the future though.

Anyways...

Many of you have known me for ~4 years, some have gotten to know be better than others. I have become friends with those of you I have gotten to know in that time; some close friends.

I would ask your guidance as to what direction I should look to in a career path. Some of you have only known me from an occasional, casual comment over a couple of years, but I feel that some of you have come to know me quite well.

I have an idea as to what career I may pursue, but I would like to hear your ideas before getting feedback on that idea. That way you won't be influenced by what I say today, only what you have seen in me over years.  

So, what do you see me doing? Why? What interests, personality traits, skills, or beliefs have you observed in me that make you think that said career(s) would be a good fit for me? I honestly want to hear what you can picture me doing just because of who I am; regardless of pay, interest, required education, or even how unusual the career is. (My personal preferred order of those things is of course high pay, high interest, low education, and unusual enough that the relatives won't start to think I'm normal Razz But for discussion's sake, I'd like you to just focus on the activities of the career, not the salary, title, etc. )  

Feel free to be as long winded, overly descriptive, or just short and to the point as you wish. The idea here is to get feedback from those who know me. If you see me making glass unicorns for a living... well... thanks for taking the survey, bye! Razz (JK)

Also, please don't suggest a job because it's cool, or because you'd like to do it, (of course, I'd love to have a cool job that people wish they had Razz ) unless you think it fits me. Thanks for reading/commenting! Smile

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

Re: Career suggestions?

on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:48 pm
Really? This creative bunch of people has no ideas? Razz It doesn't have to be "the ultimate job" just things you could see me doing.

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:26 pm
I was going to comment yesterday, but I was tired and my brain was frazzeled so I couldn't think of anything. Razz I'm probably the worst person to ask, since I know pretty much squat on such matters (also, I'm still tired Razz).

As soon as I think of something, I'll say it, but for now I'm registering a blank. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:50 pm
Frazzled brain. I completely understand. Thanks. Smile

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:54 pm
I wasn't intentionally ignoring you. Razz

The fact that I have pretty much no job experience combined with the fact that I don't know you that well makes it very hard for me to answer you. scratch Question Razz

If you really want my opinion, I'd tell you to go into the medical field, for several reasons. First is obviously due to the very decent salary. Razz Main thing is that it takes a long time to become a doctor. As in very long, especially if you want to specialize in other areas, such as neurology and cardiology. However, the primary reason why you might want to consider it is because, based on the comments that I see you write, you're a very positive and optimistic person (in contrast to me Razz). If your patient is seriously sick, you wouldn't want me (who would tell them, "I'm sorry, you have a 10% chance of survival."), but someone who can cheer them up. You're not overly-optimistic as in naive, but you can really make someone's day (I know from experience Wink). Especially if you choose to be a pediatrician, I think that you could help children cope with something like the cold when they feel miserable.

Not sure if its a good idea; I'm really not the person to ask. Neutral Really sorry.  scratch
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm
Let's see...

You're a very nice person, you can take constructive criticism, you can give constructive criticism, and you make amazing LEGO designs. You should work for LEGO! Very Happy How easy is it to get a job at a LEGO design team, though?
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 pm
Probably not too easy Razz

That, and I wouldn't agree with anything TLG wanted. Razz But it would be pretty awesome to work there! Very Happy

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:48 am
It's not.  Believe me, I checked.  Besides, currently, the only design team opening is in China.  XD

As far as actual ideas... I'm still trying to figure out a career path for myself. XD
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:30 am
@johnnyred: There's a design team in China??? Why?

@dino: I would really have to knoew you in person to see what kind of character you where, as oten people vary alot between real life and the internet. (I'm not saying you're intentionally decieving us, but people just generally act different on the internet from real life, even if unconciously.) If I met you in real life I would see more of your likes, habits, dislikes, movtives, etcetera and could possibly give you some suggestions, other than that, I think you have just as much chance of being a mechanic as a politician. Razz I hope this helps but I'm not sure it did. Razz

What are some things you're interested in career-wise? Give me a list of that an I'll see if I can add to it, and then you might like one of my addittions. That's sorta how I found something that I picked as my carreer path.

And other than being positive, complimentary, long-winded, and love to built SW/ST designs in legos, what are things you're good at? Math? Sports? Writing? Reading? Computers? Building little trinkets from beads and wire? I'm going to go out on a limb and say simply becuase you enjoy making models in LDD you might enjoy being an engineer in with CAD systems (basically designing stuff on the computer), but you might not becuase LDD is building starships and being an engineer could be designing coffee cup holders or lamp buttons or just some other random peice and doing it over...and over...and over...and designing a lamp and using math to do it for the 549th time in your life would get kinda boring. But you do like messing with all the specifications and trying to get things to fit properly according to cannon ST designs and checking the angels, the shapes, the widths, the number of weapons, etcetera, so you might like that....IDK. If there's a community college or vocational school somewhere near you that has a class (not a degree, a single class or two) in CAD systems and you find this idea intriguing, maybe you should take it and see that way if you like playing with CAD programs and designing stuff, and even if you find out that you don't want to do that your whole life, if you finish out the class you'll atleast now have a skill set that can help you get a better job than just shifting boxes or watching conveyor belts or serving hamburgers or other menial no-skill minimum-wage-or-just-slightly-better type jobs.

That's my two cents.

Or maybe you want to try and become a stunt driver (okay, yeah that's just one I want to do, but hey! maybe you want to do it too, so I'll throw that in there anyways.) Razz

Or maybe you like snowboarding (get red-bull and./or go-pro to sponsor you), or swimming (professional diving?), or maybe you want to start your own buisness selling.....televisions...or knives.......or fruit......or something, but if you like entruprenuership then that's a possibility. Or maybe you'ld like marketing, IDK how much of a people person you are off the internet, but that's a possibility as you do seem very people oritented and good with words, just as long as you're okay with bold-faced lying to someone by saying "This product will turn your hair jet black in [/i]ONLY[/i] a half hour!" When it really makes it charcol black in four hours. Razz

Or maybe you want to try to become a commerical airline pilot, IDK. You gotta give us a bit more info to help you out. Razz All I know about you is that you're good with compliments and long-winded (which is easier to do on the interet, I'm better with compliments here too. Razz ) and that you like Star Trek and Star Wars and Legos.

If Lego ever has a Star-Trek theme come out, or you see even a hint of it, immediatly ship a resume with a bunch of your LDD canon models and maybe one or two non cannon models to them and show them you already have experience. Razz Until then, yeah lego is probably a long shot! Razz

@Johnnyred: Carreer path......Comic writer?

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:45 am
@ AA - I don't see getting into that career field very easy. XD

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 am
Mirrage, I'm sorry, I didn't see your comment until now, I wasn't ignoring. Thanks for the input! I do love to help people, although I prefer working with the elderly to children, though I'm good with both. Given the years of education, I don't really want to be a doctor, although, as I said, I love helping people. Thanks for the suggestion! Very Happy

AA, I'm pretty much myself on here. I am indeed a person who is quite talkative, has a good vocabulary, and tend to be positive towards others. I'm pretty good about just being myself around varried groups of people. I guess I'd better get some more info about me up.
Assembling lightswitches on a computer... yeah... pretty sure that's not me... at all. Razz
ST Lego? That'll be the day. I wish it'd happen. But mega bloks and kreo had/have it. But we can dream... Kirk would make a grrat minifig. :p

J-red I understand. So many possibilities, only one choice....

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 am
Megabloks also had Marvel Super Heroes and Pirates of the Carribean as well. Guess who has them now. Razz

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Location : Observing the construction of the latest starcruiser.
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:11 pm
Undertaker?

You'll never be out of a job. Razz

Okay, maybe that was a tad morbid... but I've actually considered being one, so I figured I might as well throw it out there. Razz
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:43 pm
I contemplated leaving an actual suggestion, but then I came to the conclusion that I truly couldn't give an honest suggestion. Here's why:

While we  might have known Dino272727 for 4+ years, we know only a limited amount of the actual man behind the account. We know extraordinarily little about your relationships (family and friends), attitudes towards many things, non-PCG interests, and a whole host of other factors that play into making a career choice. This is a massive decision that society thinks is a good idea to place on teens who have no idea what they are doing, and it's an important one. I'm sure you have done this already, but I would discuss this sort of thing with your family and close (real-life) friends, as opposed to asking a loose band of Internet strangers who you will most-likely never meet in real life. Razz

If after talking to those people you still haven't the slightest idea, do some research online on careers you might have even the slightest interest in. Another good thing to do would be to ask your school councilor (I think you're going to be a senior this year? If you're in college, go ask career services!) for advice. They might be able point you in the right direction. Yet another possibility would be to figure out your personality type (Myers-Briggs), as it will help identify possible jobs that you might find enjoyable. I find this test and its ensuing results to be the best:

http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

I'm an INTJ personality myself, and as such I have habits that make certain types of jobs the best for me. Tell us what you came up with!
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:44 pm
OOH.
SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE MYERS-BRIGGS IS.

I'm an INTP, so essentially, Kojan's lazier, but infinitely more brilliant, cousin. Razz
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:07 pm
Kojan

Pardon the previous nonsensical post, my phone was not cooperating with me. I have moved to my much more understanding computer. Razz

Hmmm... I need to remedy everyone's lack of knowledge about me... four years and very little info is... not good.
Don't worry, this isn't the first set of people I've spoken to about this. Or the second. Or the third. I have indeed already discussed this with my family, IRL friends, and education related folks. And I am currently working through "What Color Is Your Parachute" a book on careers. I thought I would take a step back so to speak. Fresh perspectives can help to see the obvious sometimes. Like how you always look the same to yourself, but family you haven't seen in a year tell you how different you look.

But I would hardly call the PCG strangers, limited as our scope of discussions may have been, some of us have grown to be very good friends. Although there are admittedly many people on this site who I would classify as "acquaintances" as some of our factions and times of joining simply haven't overlapped, different inputs are still valid, even with little information at times.

I would daresay that I have given more thought and research to this than most people around my own age. The PCG-clique isn't really what I would call "most people" though. (So I am not comparing myself to you guys, just the boring average twenty-something guys)

I've graduated from high school, and had started college, but that particular school was not a good match... namely due to incompetency, unprofessionalism, and lack of communication on their part. (But that's another matter entirely) so I don't really have a school support program available that I would ever use because of how bad it would likely be

I actually heard of the Myers-Briggs test in What Color Is Your Parachute, and have taken a limit(?) version on O*NET (job related site) but I will definitely try taking your (perhaps more complete ?) version, as the results I got there were... eh.

Next to take the version of Myer-Briggs you recommend, and then come up with a bit of a "profile" on myself. The fact that most of you guys don't really know me that well is rather disturbing. And you think you're known by a guy. Razz (JK)

Blacktron: It is an interesting career. McDonald's has business on the rise, people are dying for your services, and you get (to borrow) a limo without making too much money. It's like your a celebrity, of the dead... hmm.... this career is sounding more and more too good to be true, there must be a catch. Razz I think I'll be a Doctor Lego Designer before I go down that road. But whatever floats your coffin.  Twisted Evil 

Last edited by Dino27 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 pm
Dino27 wrote: Don't worry, this isn't the first set of people I've spoken l kiku lo uuukuu

Hmm. Very interesting. Razz
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:46 pm
l kiku lo uuukuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz My phone wrote that of its own accord... yes... yes that is scary. Razz
My most helpful computer has helped me to rectify my phone's babbling. Razz

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm
ROFL! Razz  lol! 

Dat tiny keyboard, dat tiny keyboard. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:00 pm
^^^^ Oh no, it was typing ON IT'S OWN. Razz  Neutral  Shocked  Question

According to that site, I am an INFJ Diplomat type. Most of what it said was QUITE accurate of me. I do deeply desire to help others, have very high moral standards, am both sociable, while still needing time to myself. I do set very high standards for anyone I would even consider being a close friend with, much less spend the rest of my life with. I take criticism VERY hard. I do find many maintenance type tasks pointless. I have a small group of like-minded friends, and I do not trust easily.

However, several things hit pretty far from the mark. Namely, this personality is supposed to be soft-spoken and quiet, I am anything but. I have always been outspoken.
Based on the personality type, I am supposed to "have a talent for warm, sensitive language, speaking in human terms, rather than with pure logic and fact." Although I am an eloquent speaker, (and humble too Razz ) my sensitivity towards others can be... lacking compared to this description. I care deeply about others, but my words can be... hurtful, at times.

It says that this personality type "will rarely use that energy for personal gain." I have no problem using my skills for personal gain, so long as I am benefitting others in the process. I wouldn't work just to make me happy, but I won't be walked on either. I'll take care of myself, but it is true that I'm not in it for me.

The INFJ type is supposed to believe that "nothing would help the world so much as using love and compassion to soften the hearts of tyrants." I actually laughed when I read this. Yes, love certainly has its place, and even those beyond human redemption can be redeemed; but unless that tyrant is stepping down from power and begging on his knees for forgiveness, the only way to get to a tyrant's hurt is with a .50 caliber bullet, not love. Love is a wonderful thing, as is mercy, but this world cannot function based on mercy, unless those who are guilty will not take advantage of it and use it as a license to continue their crimes. If someone can reach that tyrant's hurt before the U.S. special forces sniper gets into position, I'm all for them having a change of hurt... and still stepping down from power peacefully.

Unlike the portrayed personality description, I tend to be more logical than emotional in both speech and thought. Although I certainly am emotional, and care deeply for others, I do see things in a more logical manner than an emotional one. I think with my head, I feel with my hurt. My default setting is my head. I think my way through problems, although I certainly feel a great deal along the way. But I get from point A to point B logically, with reasoning, and with a great deal of thought, both about the trip and everything else.

The personality description didn't get into intelligence, so I can only assume that the INFJ type is not remarkable one way or another? One of the many parts that were right, is that I am a very private person, revealing my deepest most self very reluctantly. That said, I do not say what I am about to say to brag, nor do I feel that I am superior to you all in this matter (we have many great minds in the PCG-verse): I am quite intelligent. One "expert", who was unable to determine my IQ because I was behind in school at the time due to (since corrected) vision issues, said that she believed I was in the top 97% for intelligence. Both my family and myself have heard MANY people compliment me on my intellect. And, FREE, INFORMAL, INTERNET BASED, IQ testing suggests that I have an IQ somewhere around 120.

So, much of that profile type is accurate, however, some of it strays pretty far from me. I wonder if I might be a mix between INFJ and one of the Analyst types? Or perhaps I am an unusually bright INFJ? Which would be truly unusual sine only 1% of the culture is that personality. I don't know, I leave it to Kojan and Blacktron, who know more about this than I do.

I am tempted to buy the paid version of this, but "Seeing through dishonesty and disingenuous motives, INFJs step past manipulation and sales tactics..." and I was detecting quite a bit of manipulation and sales tactics at the end there.  

Anyways, thanks for the link Kojan; that was most interesting. As I said, a fresh perspective can be most helpful. I have actually taken a (totally different type of) personality test before (it was paid) and got some very similar, and some very different, results. I now need to compare the two and see what common traits I see....

After further research, I wonder if it would be more accurate to say that I am an IN(neutral)J, somewhere between the INFJ and the INTJ types? I got INFJ as my test result, but neither one appears quite accurate to me. I am reading through the INTJ type, and although some of it rings a bell, some of it is far off.... I am continuing to read through the INTJ type. It would be interesting if I am somewhere in between. I think I am more INFJ than INTJ. Although I think I have some of the thinking traits of the INTJ type, I feel that the other is closer to me.

The odd thing is, another (different, paid) test I took, placed me as more Extroverted than Introverted, and more Detached than Compassionate... Odd. I wonder if I have changed THAT much in about a year? I doubt it. I suspect I either answered differently, or the two tests are just really different. I'm probably over-thinking this.

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:07 am
You can identify yourself as an INxJ, in which you're not sure about the T/F preference. I don't know if it showed you your statistics (in which you are '14% Thinking over Feeling' or whatever), but the people who are close to the middle of that often display characteristics of both sides of that preference, which might explain your discrepancies.

Bit of clarification: Most people prefer Thinking OR Feeling. If you don't prefer either that much, it means you are close to the middle, and would probably demonstrate both traits haphazardly. Thats why your profile wasn't entirely accurate.

As for why your personality changed since the paid test... um... hormones? Razz My mom always blames everything on those. Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:34 am
According to the test, I'm apparently an INFP myself- although there are some things about it I don't agree with (Great example- most INFPs have great faith in humanity, but I lost all of mine a loooooonng time ago Razz). I'm probably a combo between that and something else like Dino; I might retake the test and see if I get something different. IDK.

So, given your apparent personality type, you seem like you'd be a good planner, and we've all seen how dedicated and focused he can be (the St. George is proof enough of that Razz). Company executive, maybe? Perhaps some engineer or something? It sounds like the sort of thing that would suite you, based on the stuff here.

(Also, Dino, you wouldn't happen to still have a link to those online IQ tests, would you? The last time I took one, mine was apparently 150-something; but if 120 is already high like you said, then that would make me a genius. That creates somewhat of a discrepancy between that and my Algebra scores, if you know what I mean. Razz)

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am
@Dino: Maybe engineering? Electrical, Geological, etc. Also, just getting a degree in software development or something similar would open up hundreds of options.

@Mightyman: Algebra scores =/= intelligence. Razz I get B's because I procrastinate on homework, but I generally get high A's on the tests. Razz I also have no idea what my IQ is, since I've never found a legit IQ test.
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:00 am
When Mightyman began talking about the St. G, I immediately thought  Idea Razz

What about an aerospace engineer for the US Military? I mean, I assume you have some interest in construction and engineering (Lego's) and with design. Maybe if not for the USAF, just for designing civilian aircraft or for Virgin Galactic with their spacecraft.

Only reason I say this is because I want to become an aerospace engineer myself. Razz But honestly, I think it's a pretty good career. Decent salary, not too long of schooling, but also (IMO) quite fun and interesting, but challenging as well. Just a thought. Wink
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:11 am
^^^^ Now that's an idea! ^^^^

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum