Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Location : Observing the construction of the latest starcruiser.
View user profile

Re: Career suggestions?

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:12 am
Although I'm sure you get a lot of bureaucratic meddling. Razz
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 am
Blacktron: as J-red would say "Danke!" That explains it well. I'd say I'm an IN(F>T)J then, just because the "T" trait is still present, but I seem to be closer to the "F" trait.  
Hormones at age 19-20? I'd think those had settled down. I imagine the two tests were just structured differently. Who knows? Razz

Mighty: (High fives) I believe in two constants: God, who is good, holy, wise, and just, and people, who are stupid, selfish, blind to reality, and self-destructive. (You can tell I have great faith in humanity Razz )

The problem with those jobs, is I really do display many of the personality characteristics of the INFJ type, especially wanting to help people, do something meaningful, and not caring for the maintenance/paperwork type stuff. Much as I like thinking, I really do like working with people over working with things. I think I could DO either of those jobs, but I don't think I would emotionally thrive in either. I'll try and get a bit of a profile about myself up later today/quite possibly tomorrow.

I don't know which site I took it on, some kind of higher IQ institution/club/thingy? 120 is considered in the "superior" range, while 150 would put you past the 145 required for genius. (Literal, genius, as in you may never meet someone else as smart as you kind) if you're that incredibly smart, my hat's off to you... and you probably can't wear a hat because your brain it too big. Razz (Man we attract the smart people around here... what is it about Lego sci-fi? Razz ) I don't think IQ is necessarily the best indicator of intelligence, although it's better than nothing. (I don't say that to tear you down, I just think that there are different kinds of intelligence than school type work, but 150 is 150, and that is astonishingly smart, so congrats Smile )

Blacktron: Engineering: I'd need higher math for that. Algebra and I didn't get alone. I got B's in it, but I never understood it. I have to understand what I'm working with to be happy about it. Razz But engineering could be quite interesting. It's just that I'd rather directly help people. But I could probably do well at it. I have always been capable of thinking in 3D. Electrical and Geological... sparks and rocks... eh... not really my things. I'll consider those before Undertaker. Razz

Mirage: That sounds interesting! You go for it! I think you'd be good at that, although they'd tell you to put less missiles on your work. Razz Although it sounds interesting, I really want to help people, so, although the intellectual side of me likes that idea, my heart feels left out. Razz

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:37 am
Hence why I was asking about the IQ test; I doubt I'm actually that smart, so I want to go through it again and see if it's accurate. My grades are sorta middle-of-the-road, maybe a little on the high side, and I'm not sure that would fit the whole smartest-person-I'll-ever-know thing. Razz Then again, I don't study nearly enough, and I think my high school is in the top ten percentile in the country or something like that, so that *may* have something to do with it. Razz

Meh, I'd still like a link if you have one. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:04 pm
Here you go Mighty, I THINK this was it. IQ test

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:23 pm
Yeah, much lower this time; in the 102-118 range, so probably average. Razz

Then again, I was eating/listening to music while doing this one... and rushing, since I thought it was much longer... and the old one was much more comprehensive...

IDK.

Thanks for the link, anyway. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:00 pm
I figured it out Dino! The personality test is probably designed for atheist/agnostic people, thus, when your faith gets in the way ('mankind is sinful'), it affects your personality. Razz

Thus, you can say "INxJ Christian" Razz

EDIT: I got 133-149 on the IQ test. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 pm
@Blacktron: Same here! Razz I'm gifted! Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:18 pm
I have to retake that test...

EDIT: 129-145! I'm a genius again! Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:31 pm
@Mightyman: From 108-145? Razz I don't think that thing is very accurate. Razz
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:57 pm
Blacktron: (bursts into laughter) I'm sure that plays into it! Razz

No, that thing isn't that accurate, its really an ad for the paid version Razz But it does give you a range.
My range this time was 121-137. (Maybe I was misremembering? Hey, Einstein couldn't remember where the classroom he taught in was, so his students had to take him there Razz  lol! )

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:10 pm
You know what they say- stupidity is a sign of genius. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm
Well, Dino, the two main questions I have for you are these:

1) Do you feel any inclination toward the ministry?
2) Do you desire to get married or stay single?

Answering these two questions will help me greatly in giving you suggestions, as a yes or no answer will change my suggestion considerably. Wink

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 pm
Okay, first off, undertakers really arn't that bad. Razz My (absolutely amazing) history teacher's husband is a undertaker, so can speak from personal experience. I think it mostly depends on whether you liking helping people (grieving friends/relatives) and you like dissecting things and making things look nice when you're done.

@Dino : Ehh, the Myers Briggs is fun, but I really think people put waaaay too much emphasis on those sorts of things. For example, while it can accurately suggest that an outgoing person might be a waiter and an analytical mind might be an egineer, it really misses the mark, You will find all kinds of personalities in people doing essentially the same job, who will all love their work and be good at it. That's not to say that, generally, waiters (good ones) will be outgoing and engineers good and being analyitcal/mechanical oriented. But just check around your church/friends/neighbors/random peopel you meet/etcetera. You'll find people doing the same thing with very different personailities. Also, check with older people in your church on this, they often have great insight into this. I was fortunate enough to have a gentleman who I made friends with at a church event offer to help me with carreer planning, as that's sorta what he did for a job (usually with older people though, like 21-35 or maybe older), not typically fresh out of highschool/still in highschool (as I was at the time), but other older people at my church or that I have met have also been able to help me out and offer great insight into good jobs that I might enjoy, good skills to have even if they're not careers (but they can still help), general wisdom about work, and even if you're not getting a career just keep talking to people, you never know what might pop up! I started off talking to this gentleman about guns and now we're friends and he's helped me tremendously! Those sorts of people are much better help for you than any personality test is, chances are, what it tells you is stuff you'll already know, as you have the personality that you have and that makes you automatically attracted to certiain jobs. I see the Myers Briggs test as more helpful for someone else trying to learn about you than you trying to learn about you.

As for aviation engineering, you can do alot of help for people in that field. Most specifically, take a look at this:

https://www.jaars.org/serve/aviation

I went down for a school missions trip to JAARS, which, among many other things, has a main focus on avaiation and radio services for missionaries. They need people to help maintain, fly, and train pilots down there. I don't know how much is paid because an aweful lot of people down there are volenteers/retired missionaries/retired peeps in general just serving God. But there are some paid aviation positions somewhere along the missions line, and there are companies that design airplanes to fit their needs. For example, the Kodiak craft, a new airplane that JAARS is buying for the missions field, was made by some company (I forget who) who donated several to JAARS because they like what JAARS is doing. JAARS also has engineers that help design some equipment for missionaries/missions pilots. They made a new safety seat to help soften the blow of hard landings (when you can't set her down nice and easy with the landing gear) that would injure the passengers/crew. After three accidents, one of which that broke the spine of a pilot because the plane went crunch on the ground, the JAARS people, not aviaation companies, designed a new seat to fit a plane that had supports that would crumple with hard blows, so rather than all the shock being transferred to the pilot the chair absorbed alot with the chair's supports bending and crummpling up and it's saved alot of injury and pain since then. That's just one example. Alot of the work down there is straight matience but check it out, give them a call and tell them you're interested in helping people but also enjoy designing stuff and even if they don't have anything specifically design-like (although, of course, you'ld need schooling in aviation engineering/general engineering first) they may be able to suggest some similar jobs where you can do something you like with your analytical intelligence and your heart to serve people/God.

And there's a ton of really old people at JAARS, so if oyu like working with old people.... Wink They're always looking for hard working younger people that can do things they're too fragile to do anymore. Razz

Other info you could tell us to help you would include other hobbies and/or sports that you enjoy. Do you like swimming? boating? taking your RC car apart and putting it back together? (who even has an RC car anymore? Razz ) Do you like radios? (radio operator), do intelligence type jobs interest you (military intelligence, FBI, CIA), that's analytical, and somewhat people oriented, maybe dealing with designing equipment for those sorts of things. Home designer, surgeon (detail oriented and helpful to people, but a freak-load of schooling), legal consultant.

BTW, though this seems obvious, pray! Pray pray pray pray pray and read the Bible. God might not answer immediatly but He will answer you if you ask Him what He wants you to do. Now, you might not like His answer, and His answer might seem weird at first. He might have you work in a regular airplane factory just sliding pieces together on the wing, boring as heck and not up to your full potential, but maybe that's him giving you a good understanding of airplane wings so thirty years down the road you can serve at JAARS, and witness to your co-workers at the factory. Or maybe he's gona have you work on cars, and that'll transfer into serving missionaries as a car repair man, or maybe it's something really way out, in which case I can't think of an example, but somethign that looks like it has absolutly nothing to do with what you want or that God will have you do, but God knows what He's doing and if you let Him and ask Him to He will set you up with what you need, realize it at the time or not, to fullfill His plan for you then, and later on in life.

Okay, one example I can think of is my mom. She started out trying to get a degree in engineering. She now is trying to start of a homeschooling/tutoring group.

How'ld engineering help her? She's good at math, and she found out at engineering school that she liked helping the other students learn how to do their math more than she did engineering, but she still had to know engineering to help them, and it was still a good application for her math skills. Then she moved on to teaching math for years and years, until she became a stay at home mom, homeschooling me and my siblings. That also helped her, because when my dad was out of work she knew how to teach, and she knew how to teach on one, and she knew alot about all the difference subects because she had to teach them all to homeschool us, and she loved working with kids and other people, she had to with me and my siblings. Razz From there she learned buisness management with her tutoring buisness, and now she's trying to become the director of a charter of a homeschooling group. She'll be setting up a new group (like opening a new McDonalds in the area) for homeschoolers who will come in to whereever they meet twice a week or something and they can get help with their work if they need it, and it helps keep the parents accountable, and they get to make friends with other people andnot just be in the house all day. And having been good at math and taught it for so long, and then having to become really good at reading and english and sounds and speaking and such for tutoring several difference people who struggled in those areas when she had teh tutoring buisness, she is able to do quite a bit in the way of teaching the people in the group, in addition to having management skills to be the director.

Each thing added up to be important for where she is now, but each thing was also important at that moment in time. We all benefited greatly when she homeschooled us, it was important when she was going to engineering school to learn advanced math, it was important when she had the tutoring buisness to help those people and to feed us, and it was important for her to teach math at other schools when she was younger for her and other people. But they also all added up. You might never have thought engineering would have anything to do with being a sort of CEO (though not really, more of a local president for a larger group) of a homeschool group and teacher at the same time. God can lead you anywhere and he created your with your gifts for a reason, keep learning, don't squander them, and He'll do something with you. Just be a hard worker, an avid learner, and follow Him and serve others.

And I feel that I must reiterate that you should get advice from older, hardworking, knowledgeable men in your church, or ladies, but you're a guy so I think guys would be better able to help you. They'll have ideas of jobs that none of us can think of (even with Mr. "I'm at genius level on the IQ test!" and his colleague. Razz ) because they have more experience and more wisdom, and if you're friends with any of them then they probably know you better than we do, or atleast, know more about you, so they have more to work with. I'm not saying you should tell us everything about you just so a couple of internet peeps (friends though we may be) can help you out, although I'ld still like your SSN and the routing number for your backaccount. Razz

BTW, have you ever considered professional thief? I hear the money's good, there's alot of planning involved, you might even get to make your own equipment, and there's alot of working with people. Razz And if worse comes to worse you can always go be a hermit and grow your own food, you'll atleast have a living that way. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:17 pm
Hey! I already said I was the worst to ask! Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

A "little" about me. Okay, more than you ever wanted to know.

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:27 pm
This could easily become my longest post... so... yeah... if you want to read all this... go for it! Very Happy If not, I don't blame you. Razz

Age: I was born in April of 1994, so I am currently 20 years old.

Education: I have graduated high school, and had started college, but wasn't happy with that particular school and school in general, even though I have excelled in school.

Family: I am an only child. I live with my mom in a North Carolina suburb. My father died in 2006... he was not well, or kind. I don't really want to talk about this any more. Sad
My family was originally from up north. (USA, East Coast)

Introvert/Extrovert: I am either the most outgoing introvert ever, or a rather socially inept extrovert. Although I enjoy the company of people, I can go for two days without really socializing. If I go for about three days alone however, I get lonely and depressed. I tend to do well getting out and seeing people almost daily, but having several hours of each day to myself.

Skin thickness: I don't trust people easily. I have a pretty thick hide against those who I consider "enemies." And I can hold up okay to "unknown" people. But the better I know someone, the closer I am to someone, the more "on the same side" I am with someone, the thinner my skin is with them, and the more easily I am hurt. I am actually pretty easily offended, deeply, although I am good at working through problems and moving on. I tend to take things personally, likely, at least in part, because I am hard on myself to begin with.

When around groups of people: If I know and trust the individuals present, I am the life of the party. But if I do not know (and it takers me a LONG time to feel that I know someone) most of the people present, especially if they are around my own age, I stick to the outskirts of the party or event and just quietly observe. I am not so much shy, as I don't know what to do in big groups of people I do not really trust.

Schedule: I am a night-owl. I have trouble getting to sleep before 2:00 AM. I could change this, with great difficulty, if I had sufficient reason to do so.

Speaking: I am quite outspoken, am able to project, (I've been informed that another class could hear me in a large church... through two closed doors.. and down a roughly fifty-foot long hall.) and am naturally gifted at speaking, both in daily conversation and to an audience.

Communication: I am good at conveying information, and explaining things. Often I will explain things five different ways, when everyone got my second explanation. I am also good with metaphors. Since I am pretty good at thinking things out and understanding them myself, and am a naturally gifted speaker, with some talent in writing, I can explain things to others.

Writing/Reading: Not to toot my own horn, but I am a pretty good writer. I have read a lot of books in my time. My reading level was years ahead of my grade for years, until there wasn't really a higher reading level to reach on a typical test. I aslo read very quickly. This means that I have a lot of experience with the written word.  I can communicate in writing clearly and effectively. I like to write, but get caught up in the work and become overwhelmed long before I could get a novel out. If course, if I have the skill to write a novel or not is another matter, I think I do, but I have read some absolutely terrible stuff, so lots of people think they can write.  

Sharing information: I am a bit of a paradox here. Although I hold very strong personal beliefs, and am more than happy to share/debate about just about anything, I an a deeply personal person. I am not so much secretive, as just private. There are many aspects of myself and my thoughts that I do not share with even my closest friends. And yet I am still talkative and open about what I think.

Stubbornness factor: I am pig headed. When I set my mind to something, when I believe something, when I truly feel that something is worth the fight and the cost of the fight, I will not let go, give up, concede defeat, surrender, or be convinced otherwise. I don't give up what matters to me. Although I can be diplomatic about things that don't really matter, and I am able to tell the difference between the two, most of the time.

Diplomacy: I can be quite the diplomat. I can see all the sides of the story, gather what everyone wants, and help to resolve conflict. AA might tell you that he wished he'd see me just get mad sometimes and take a side. Believe me, I do. When I am invested in a fight, my stubbornness and outspoken nature comes into play. I will argue with a brick wall, for five hours, if I feel that it doesn't agree with me about something half important.

Thinking vs. Feeling: I am a very emotional person. I can't watch Old Yeller, or the Yearling. Heck, I cry watching a Lassie movie. I care deeply for others. But. I do not make decisions based on feelings. I factor them in, but they are not the deciding factor, just part of the equation. I am very logical, fairly intelligent, and a man of reason. I am constantly thinking. In fact, I over-think everything. I think long and hard about just about every mildly important decision. And then I think about it some more. And chances are, I will second guess myself for years about it.
But thinking is not my enemy. I enjoy thinking. Everything has a logical explanation, everything fits together, like a puzzle. "I think, therefor I am" is fitting of me; with the addition of "I feel, therefor I am alive." I don't want to simply think for a living. Thinking is good, excellent even. I want to use my brain, but I want to use it for specific purposes, and I want my heart to be part of the equation. (More on this later)

Work ethic: I am a hard worker. (IF THE SUBJECT INTERESTS ME) I am an overachiever. I rode my bike without training wheels the first time I tried it. I have never fallen off a horse, despite having (previously) ridden for years. (To be fair you'd have to work pretty hard to fall off of YMCA horses, which are so tame that their top speed is "move leisurely towards clover." Razz ) I got A's in everything except Algebra, in which I got B's. I got my Driver's Permit on my first try, (I'd not had drivers ed either, but I did read through the book, multiple times) and I got my Driver's License on my first try, in-spite of taking the test with the toughest employee at the downtown DMV. (She was Army Reserve) and I graduated with honors. I tend to finish late, but well.

Work tends to overwhelm me, I get anxious over things that are actually quite easy for me. But I accomplish the tasks I set my hand to with flying colors. I'm not one of those people that everything is easy for. Actually, everything tends to be hard for me, but I complete the work and do well, so long as I feel it's worth fighting for.

I like to have room and time to do things my own way, with flexible deadlines and a fairly open schedule, which I have a lot of say in. I don't do well with tight deadlines or massive workloads, I also strongly dislike repetition, I get bored doing the same thing on and on. I need a change of pace frequently to keep interested, even though I have a long attention span. Also, I am not really great with managing time, but I am still able to do it. I get lost when I am interested in what I'm doing, like writing this.

When I am fully dedicated to and interested in a task, I am meticulous with details. Going to lengths that surprised my tutor, who was already surprised by me. (In one assignment, I was instructed to design a cereal box. I did so. Down to every last detail. My teacher was stunned. It looked like an actual box of cereal. No detail was left out, ingredients, all sides of the box, nutritional facts, puzzle, prize, company information, hand drawn art, pictures of actual cereal. I went the whole nine yards, several times over. The subject interested me, so I went overboard with it.) I think I may have accidentally stolen one of AA's character names for the character for my box. It was a good name, and it popped into my head, and as I couldn't remember it from anything, I thought it was original... oops. Razz     

I work in spurts, rather than at a constant rate. And what I am doing has to matter to me. My nightmare job would be filing paperwork in a cubicle, 9-5 every day, for decades. I would suffocate there. My heart would die. I work towards concrete goals. Tangible goals. Things I can not only think about, but feel. Ways in which I can make a difference. Not simply deadlines, not quotas, not even money, or power, or fame. I want to do something that would matter.(More on this later)

Interaction with others: I have a dominant personality. I like for things to be done my way, which is naturally the right way. Razz To be fair, my way is a very good way to do things the majority of the time. But I can be bossy, talk too much, and be unintentionally insensitive to the feelings of others. I am sometimes honest to a fault. I care deeply for others, and don't want to hurt them, but I sometimes have a big mouth. I don't play well when I don't have a considerable say in how things are done. And I do enjoy giving input, because I tend to have worthwhile things to say.

Loyalty: I am extremely loyal. Once I dedicate myself to a person, cause, belief, or ideal, I will not leave, let go, give up, surrender, or abandon that noun, ever, period. I will fight for who and what matters to me regardless of personal cost.

Problem solving: I am a thinker, and I am good at solving problems on a practical, everyday level. Is there a more efficient way of doing this? I'll find it. Is there a way to improve things? I'll think of it. Is there a way to make different people with different ideas happy? No way! But I'll give everyone an option they hate less. Razz

Money: I am good with money. I am a bit of a cheapskate, but I when I do spend, I prefer to be sure that I must, and then buy quality products. I have never been in personal debt.

Humor/Seriousness: I am pretty funny IRL, I can make people laugh, but I can also be quite serious as well. And I know when to be which.

Leadership: I am both a leader, and a follower. If someone qualified takes command, I'll follow their lead. But if no one steps forward, or if I'm not happy with how things are being run, I can lead. Although my preferred position is either somewhat separate from others, so that I don't have to lead or follow. Or, I am fairly happy in a lower leadership position. Able to mingle with the team, but not at one of the lower rungs, or at the top either, although I can fill either of those roles if need be.

Intellect: I am pretty smart. I have been described as being in the top 97% of people in intelligence. I may have an IQ of around 121-137. (Most Ph.D. holders have an IQ of about 132+, and 145+ is genius level)  

Beliefs: (If you don't want to read about my religious beliefs, you don't have to, I am NOT pushing you to think as I do. Although I would be happy for you if you do/would; your life is your own, and you must choose for yourself what you wish to believe. If you are interested in what I believe, feel free to read. If not, again, I am not saying this to try to force you to change your mind if you don't agree with me, that's between you and God.)

Faith:
Spoiler:
I am a man of strong convictions and faith. I do not push anyone else to share my beliefs. But I know what I believe. and I will share with anyone who wants to know.

I do not believe that my faith makes me superior to those who do not share it. Actually, I think the exact opposite is true. Because of my faith, I understand that we are all in the same boat, fallen people in a fallen world, and that boat is sinking fast.

I am a Christian. I believe that all "religions" are wrong, because they are people trying to figure out God. Only God can reveal Himself to us, and I believe that God did just that through the Bible. Which I believe is the literal, (where intended as such, I'm not trying to start a debate here) authoritative, and only Word of God.

I believe that God is not a mystical "supreme being" who we can't really know. I don't believe that every religion get's part of it right. I also do not believe that we'll all get to some afterlife somehow because we are "basically good".

I do not believe that my faith is a ticket to health, wealth, happiness, and success. Actually, Jesus said that "in this world, you will have trouble, but take heart, for I have overcome the world."    

I believe that God is absolutely good, just, loving, wise, enteral, and powerful, exactly as He describes Himself in the Bible. I believe that humanity is imperfect, (but was created perfect) made in the image of God, but has chosen evil, and cannot get to God except by asking Jesus for forgiveness.

I believe that we all have eternal life, and that there is a literal Heaven and a literal, terrible alternative. And that we will all go to that alternative by default, no matter how much good we do, because we can never do enough good to be perfect. This has to be so because God is absolutely perfect. This eternal pain does not make God happy, He said that He "desires none to parish, but all to receive the free gift of eternal life."  

I believe that we can have a personal relationship with God if we ask Him for it. And I have had more joy in this than in anything else in my life.  

I believe that He allows bad things to happen, NOT because He takes pleasure in our suffering, but because we (people) let evil into the world when we chose to disobey Him, and that pain and death are the cost of our choice.

I believe that God loves each of us so much that He sent His only Son to die in our place so that we can be with Him forever, if we trust Him, ask Him for forgiveness, and live according to His will.

Again, I am not pushing you to believe as I do. I do not wish to argue with you. If you have questions, I will gladly answer them, but please do not think that I am pushing you. I can't decide for you. If you believe in God and the fallen human nature as the Bible describes, and have/are going to ask Him for forgiveness, I am very happy. If you do not, I want you to have the joy of becoming a friend of God for yourself, not because I bossed you into it. I cannot make that decision for you. If I did, it would not be your choice, and I would have bullied you. I am sorry if anyone has hurt you, falsely speaking for God. There are many people who He says that when they get to see Him at the judgment, He will say to them that He "never knew them." I hope you have not been hurt by these people. I have known MANY people who have been.  

Politics: *In case anyone doesn't know, I am an American, born and raised in NC*
I believe that politicians are a necessary evil of sorts, not because they are any worse than the rest of us, but because they have more power with which to mess up. I believe in running the United States of America as directed by the Constitution. That often puts me more in line with Republicans than with Democrats, but I am not happy with either party.

I am more "right" than the Democratic Party, and even much of the Republican Party, but I am not a Libertarian simply because some of the plans of the founding fathers simply can't work with modern technology. (EG, staying out of world affairs. That is often impossible now that instead of taking months or years to travel around the world, it takes hours, and our enemies possess weapons that can wipe out cities *actually, the entire world* with the flick of a switch on the other side of the world.)

I would describe myself as a "Constitutional Conservative." I believe that free-market businesses, coupled with weak unions and some regulations, allow for everyone to prosper. I believe that a weak government, alone with wise, well informed citizens, makes for a wealthier and happier nation. I believe in taking care of the poor, but not overreaching to the point that business isn't worth it and it's easier to make money by not working. I believe that those citizens who are mentally capable and who have not committed crimes that prove them unfit to do so, are legally entitled to be armed. I believe that a strong military, and appropriate use thereof, is a good thing, but that diplomacy is key whenever possible.

If you disagree, feel free to vote the other way, that's what I love about America.

Laws: I strongly believe that laws are there for a reason. I am an extremely "moral" person. I tend to see things in black and white. And I set VERY high standards. I believe that there are laws higher than those of any government. Everyone is entitled to life, liberty of person, money, mind, and faith, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe that the Ten Commandments summarize right and wrong incredibly well. And all of human relation based laws can be explained in either two, or one command.
1: Do all that you have agreed to do.
2: Do not encroach.
Or
A: Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Laws are there for a reason, to keep you and everyone else alive, safe, and somewhat happily living with each other. They are also about justice and righteousness.

Some human laws are just plain silly, but I still try to obey them as long as they aren't wrong. I care deeply about right and wrong, and (just about) always try to do what is right. I want to do what is right because it is right. Because I believe it is pleasing to God, (I want to make Him happy, it's not a big scary rulebook) and it's just the right thing to do. I am admittedly a stickler for the rules.

Interests: I am interested in weaponry, both modern and historical, although I lack experience in its use compared to many Americans. I am fascinated by history. I enjoy building Lego, (especially in LDD) I enjoy writing fiction, talking and hanging out with friends, reading, (especially a good historical fiction or sci-fi novel, and I enjoy reading the Bible a lot too.) Roleplaying, MMOG's, listening to music (I listen to a bunch of stuff from Christian contemporary, to classic rock and roll, to modern rock, to metal to classical, it depends on my mood) I like watching a good TV show (Star Trek anyone? I also like the oldies, Cosby Show, Andy Griffith, Hogan's Hero's, I Love Lucy, etc. etc.) Or a good movie. (Sci-fi (Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel) is my favorite genre, but I like action/adventure, clean comedy, and fantasy (LOTR, Narnia) as well.) But am not deeply captivated by non interactive screens for too long. I like nature, insects, flowers, trees, water. I enjoy the beuty of the natural world. I like walking in the outdoors, but don't have too much experience doing that. I enjoy acting, and am a natural at drama. (I've been in many school plays. Although most of the other kids bugged me because they didn't want to be there and weren't doing their part. Razz Of course, I can memorize things quickly, so that helped me, as did being a ham. Razz ) I like animals. I am more of a dog person than a cat person, but I have had MANY of each. I also have pet Hermit Crabs, one of which is somewhere around 10-17 years old.. it's hard to remember. I have also had pet Guiana Pigs, Crayfish, and a Box Turtle. Yes, yes I am quite crazy thank you. Razz    

Physical ability/interests: I don't like sports. I didn't grow up playing or watching sports. I understand the basics of baseball and the extreme basics of NASCAR, that's about it. Razz I'm not a very physical person. I'm not in great shape. I lack stamina and I don't currently exercise due to health issues. I have roughly 20% bodyfat, which is on the high end of healthy. A lot of my lack of experience with physical activity is related to health problems. (More later.) I'm not fast, and I lack endurance, but I do enjoy a good, short, slow run. I am somewhat physically strong, for someone who doesn't currently work out. I have yet to meet someone around my own age (over two decades of meeting people) who also didn't work out or do manual labor, who was as strong or stronger than me. Those who hit the gym regularly are a different matter entirely. I can carry sixty pounds of cat litter, in each arm, with my arms straight down, for about fifty feet. Lifting it into the trashcan one handed is not currently an ability I posses. Laugh all you want fit people, us couch potatoes will rule the earth one day... wait, we already do. Razz And I can carry an eighty pound bag of pet food on my shoulder through the store and the parking lot. I think that I will enjoy working out once I am awake enough to do so. (More later.)

Health issues:

I had a heart defect at birth, so I had two open-heart surgeries, one at age two months, and the other at two years old. The scaring from these surgeries means I will never be a swimsuit model, oh well. Razz It also causes me neck pain because my skin (and my muscles) are pulled in odd ways. I am being treated for this. I have undergone quite a number of things to help with that: chiropractors, acupuncture, massage, and a bunch of other stuff. It has improved, but it still hurts sometimes.

I had eye issues that were corrected with vision therapy. I got vision headaches because my eyes were focusing on different things at once. My vision is now fine, and I do not need glasses. I also have keen vision.  

I had some mental stuff going on (mostly OCD, but also some anxiety) that Neurofeedback has been most helpful with, whereas other doctors, counselors, etc. haven't been. I was never "mentally ill", just not happy. I am better, but still improving.

I have food allergies. I am allergic to a bunch of stuff, not dangerously so. But I get sick and feel bad if I have gluten or dairy. Ironic, since my more distant family is in the dairy business. Razz I am taking drops to help with this, but I may never be able to have a glass of milk or a piece of bread without getting sick and feeling poorly. These allergies also mean that I have a lot of inflammation in my body, which makes me sore.

I am hyper-sensory. Food tastes very strongly to me, the wind feels stronger, the sun is brighter, I feel things with my physical senses very strongly. The beech is not a fun place for me as it is hot, bright, windy, has gritty sand that sticks to me, and salty water, all at once. I am slowly growing, if not out of, into less of, this problem.

I have chronic fatigue. Twelve hours of sleep feels to me like what I can only assume feels like around five hours for most people. I am always tired. I have a very low energy reserve, and that supply recharges very slowly. This is challenging and very frustrating, as, for most of my life, I have spent half my life sleeping and another quarter resting. I am slowing healing from this with the help of a good doctor. (I have tried MANY before finding this one who is helpful.)  

I have had family and lots of friends with medical emergencies quite often throughout my life, and I have spent many dozens of hours in emergency waiting rooms. I have probably spent more time in a hospital than most people twice my age at least.

Friends: Although I tend to get alone with people easily, and have many decent friends and MANY acquaintances, I have few CLOSE friends. I don't make close friends very easily, but when I do, I will stay with them for as long as I live (thus far at least.)

Confidence: I lack self confidence. I have heard it said that humanity's greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond belief. This may be true of humanity, but it certainly isn't true of me. I underestimate myself. Everything feels like it is going to be impossible. I sell myself short, at least in my own mind. I often feel like I am inadequate. I am short in stature, so I sometimes feel like I have something to prove, if only to myself. I think it makes me work all the harder.

I am hard on myself, and on others. I aim for perfection in myself, although I accept slightly less from others, I am impossibly hard on myself.

View of the world I am not really a negative person.. exactly. I just see things for what they are, and say so. And the world is a mess.

The four most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen, Helium, stupidity, and evil.

I am an idealist, a dreamer, someone who wants things to be better, someone who won't stop fighting for something better. Call me what you will. Perhaps I am unrealistic. But I know that people are capable of incredible good. But they will just about always choose the foolish, selfish, cruel thing to do. I want to change things for the better.

What I want in a career: I don't really care about the money, more is better, but I don't want to work for cash. Money is a necessity, but it is not what I want in life. Nor do I want power or fame. I want to help people. I feel most alive when I am helping others. I want to get up and go out into the world and make a tangible difference in people's lives every day.

I don't really want to design stuff, although I could. I don't want to run a business, although I could be very successful there, I don't want to be a lawyer, although I may be quite good at it, I don't want to be involved with the running of law-making Government, it's just too tangled and messed up right now to be in policy making. I don't even want to write, build Lego, or perform on stage, great as all those things are, I want to do something for people every day. I want to touch people's lives, be of actual, physical help to others.

I don't really want to go into the medical field as it takes YEARS (read a decade or so) of college education. I hate school. I am good at it. But it feels... pointless. I want to do something of purpose now, or at least very soon.

Although I am a person of faith, I do not feel called to be a pastor. (I don't want to have to write a sermon every week. Ugh! Deadlines... I hate them. That sounds like school to me. Razz ) I don't want to be in a church support role. I don't like office work. I know that through a church, I could be of help, but I want to do more than give advice or teach. And I don't feel called to be an evangelist. Sharing my faith in a not annoying and pushy way, is not one of my gifts. It doesn't come naturally to me at all.

So... any suggestions?

(Edit. Added for Scare.)

1) I do not currently feel called to the ministry. Although I used to be quite interested in apologetics, (I still find it interesting) I do not believe it is my calling. Of course God could call me to a completely different area on His own time. But as of right now, I don't believe I am called to the church or other areas of career dedicated ministry.

2) Yes, I would like to get married at some point, if God wills it, and if He has someone that He created for me/if I was created for someone.

(Edit. Added for AA)

Where you writing your answer the entire time I was writing this post? Razz I bet we'll be on page three VERY quickly.

Testing. Many people are capable of doing many different things, and being happy in them. But everyone does have a unique skill set and personality/interest set, so some people really are made for specific jobs. I keep going back and forth between "I could do anything." and "I must be made to do something very specific." The whole, free will and God is sovereign thing get's confusing. Razz Also, I think that testing can be helpful in figuring out who you are, which has some merit.

Getting older people from church to give advice... Brilliant. See? Asking you internet peeps can still lead to another piece of the puzzle. Razz Unfortunately, I don't really know too many people at church because I'm not physically there on Sunday mornings. (Due to chronic fatigue. See Health Issues.) And the Bible study I was in changed leadership and become... not my best learning style. I can certainly talk to my (retired) pastor about it, he is a wise with some years under his belt, and he has a knack for prayer. Good idea! Thank you.

Hmmm... I've been at this for six hours, so I'll look into JAARS more in later. But thanks for the link and info! The big school part doesn't appeal to me, but there is potential there. Although I would like to directly help others (face to face.) I will certainly pray about and consider it. And I do like working with the elderly.

(See "Interests".)

Prayer: You bet I am my brother. Thanks for the encouragement to continue. Very Happy

Your Mom's life. Very interesting. Sounds a lot like my tutor (I know it's not the same person Razz ) God does use everything. I just want to aim for what I'm called to do. And sometimes, friends, and even acquaintances from the internet can be really helpful. Razz (Like engineering. Razz )

Yeah... I think this is probably my longest post ever... by a long shot. I probably went into WAY too much detail. But it disturbed me that I've known a lot of you guys for over four years, and you hardly know me in many respects. So I decided to do something about that. This was... rather challenging for me. Not just because of the length and detail of the post, (didn't tell you that when I'm interested, I go all out? Razz ) but because I had to reveal a lot of information about myself. As I tend to be a very private person, that was tricky, but I felt that you guys deserved to know. A lot of you are my friends, some of you good friends, and it is unacceptable that we would somehow still be "strangers" after almost half a decade together.

Also, this gave me a chance to take inventory of myself... (although I already have been doing so, going over it again is always good.)

Approximately six-and-a-half hours after starting this post, I am finally done! Razz

[/i]

YAY! ONE MORE POST! Razz

Last edited by Dino27 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:55 pm
Aggghhh, I can't see the pictures! Sad

Also, by me reading that mammoth post, you ended up getting me in trouble with me mom. She doesn't like me being up this late. Razz

As for the post itself- I never would have guessed. We seem similar in a lot of respects, though there are several major differences between us.

Anyway, it's too late for me to really make a comment on all that, so i'll sleep on it and come up with something in the morning. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 am
After skimming that enormous post, a few things popped into my head.

Tutor? Counselor? Teacher?

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:54 am
I don't like school and I don't want to run one. Razz Counselor... hmmm... It's one of the better results thus far! Very Happy Teacher, I am good at teaching... but again, I dislike school. Razz

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 am
@mightyman: same thing happened to me! Razz  

@dino: I think typing that entire time dino. Razz

Now, you seem to be very good at alot of things, but can't find anything that you want to do. What you may need to do is just pick something, and even though you don't like it, pursue it. Then you'll be able to support yourself and help your mom out (sorry about your dad, both his death and his life.) Try to pick something that you atleast like a little bit even if you have things you don't like about it, rather than something you abhor. Then once you're set up with that allow God to lead you on to what's next. He may do that in the form of people you meet at work, or again that job may be experience for later on. Either way you need to find something that pays, because like the work or not, you still need a job. Razz  I can tell you I hated my job over this summer, and I definitely do not want to do that sort of thing for years trying to save up for a house or pay for schooling for a career I would enjoy much more, but that may be what it take and, if nothing else, it builds character. So I encourage you to aim for something, and if it's not what God wants you to do He'll let you know, but otherwise pursue it even if you don't think it's a perfect fit.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:22 pm
AA we're okay financially. My dad was in the medical field, (pretty decent pay, but not a Dr. ) One set of my grandparents ran a family business, and the other set aside some school money. And God has blessed my family with a GREAT advisor, who honors God and knows his work. But I agree that I need to do SOMETHING. I just want to aim in the right direction. I asked here to get some added, different perspectives.

Dino27

cheers
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum