Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

Arondite Class Supercruiser

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 am
~ Start Entry ~  

My first official supercruiser since the original Andromeda!  Which wouldn't really be considered a supercruiser anymore.  This is also my first SHIP (Super Huge Investment in Parts, whether or not a vessel is considered a SHIP is determined by how long it is.  If it is over 100 studs long, it is officially a SHIP)

Realizing that superior numbers and technology, and more agile ships would not be enough in the age of supercruisers, Johnnyred developed the Arondite, named in honor of the sacred sword wielded by Sir Lancelot du Lac (AKA Sir Lancelot of the Lake).

The Arondite boasts superior firepower, and range to go with it.  It also has a large hanger bay to carry a large amount of fighter squadrons and Marine dropships.  Thanks to the four OMEGA class warp nacelles, it is quite capable of maintaining Warp 9.9" for without stopping.  And despite its large size, it is much more agile than most ships its size thanks to maneuvering thrusters lined around the primary hull.

It's OMEGA Class Wave Shock Cannons mounted on the ship make it a formidable threat to other ships its size or even larger, and thanks to these, it can become an orbital weapons platform, capable of sniping precise locations planetside within feet thanks to the pinpoint accuracy and and range of these magnificent weapons.  

In case no one was already informed, Wave Shock Cannons, like Wave Motion Guns, have near infinite range, though as the distance increases, the power decreases.  (To the point that at a certain range, it would feel as nothing but a mild tickle.)  This detriment to the Wave Motion Gun is an asset to the Wave Shock Cannons.  At long range, bridges, weapons, engines or specific planetside buildings can be destroyed without dealing large damage to ships or cities.  At the appropriate range, the Wave Shock Cannon could specifically target individual people within a building without injuring anyone else.  (Though this can only be done with someone planetside in an opposite building tagging the target.)

- Specifications -

(This honestly should probably have larger marine and fighter detachments than what I gave it, so don't pay too much attention to those numbers.  XD)

Length: 1580 Meters
Beam: 420 Meters
Height: 355 Meters
Crew: Roughly 5000, though much of that is pilots, hanger crew, marines, etc.  The majority of the actual ship crew is automated with the exception of crewmen in charge of vital stations such as weapons, engineering, bridge, etc.
Space Marine Detachment: 2000
Fighter Pilots: 800
Mobile Suit Pilots: 75
Dropship/Shuttle Pilots: 200
Fighter Contingent: F-101 Daggers, F-114 Phoenixes, and F-35 Razerhawks
Dropship Contingent: D-12 Nighthawk Dropships, Thunderbird Class Gunships
Shuttlecraft: Danube Class Runabouts
Mobile Suits: Paladin Type Mobile Suits
Deflector Dish: Upsilon Class Deflector Dish x1, Kappa Class Deflector Dishes x8
Armor: 10 feet of High Density Tenatium Armor with a Heavy Coating of Ablative Armor
Warp Nacelle: OMEGA Class Warp Nacelles x4
Average Cruising Speed: Warp 9.9"
Maximum Cruising Speed: Warp 9.9"
Weapons: Quantam Phaser Arrays x4, Wave Motion Torpedo Tubes x8, OMEGA Class Heavy Wave Shock Cannons x 6, Delta Class Wave Shock Cannons x18, Delta Class Shock Cannons x52, Multiple Quantam Torpedo tubes and PSONIC Torpedo Tubes along with Pulse cannon batteries for anti-air defense.

- Images -

- .lxf -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtqij7y15sdea0q/Arondite%20Class%20Mk.%20I%20-%20Perfect%20Grade.lxf?dl=0

~ End Transmission ~

Last edited by Johnnyred on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:28 am; edited 6 times in total
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

Re: Arondite Class Supercruiser

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:47 am
NO NO NO NO! Someone came up with maneuvering thrusters before me?! I was just about to use them on my partially completed Taurus!  Sad      No now it's not an original idea since I took it from Starship Troopers. Razz

Anyway, griping and whining aside, I absolutely LOVE this ship! The detail/greebles are amazing and gives contrast to the rest of the smooth hull. I like the lining thing you did on the warp nacelles. The frontal saucer area is very well designed with the big dome covering all of the small radiators and the six smaller domes around it. Very cool!

My only minor critique would be to add something to the triangular stuff that's going upwards, especially in the rear. IMHO, it looks a bit too bulky and I think you should round it out like you did on the front section. Then for the side triagular parts, you might replace one every four or at some interval with a wave motion gun or a large phaser array for broadside use.

Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this ship (besides the maneuvering thrusters' part) Razz. Once again, the front part saucer looks epic, as does the rest of the ship. Great job. Smile
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:30 am
I definately won't be doing any editing to this ship, because it's just way too much for any of my computers to handle! Razz If you or someone else wishes to try though, be my guest. Razz

As far as the rear section goes, I do agree that it needs more detail, I just didn't have any ideas of what to do/the power to do them. XD Also, Wave Motion Guns wouldn't be able to work there, they specifically have to be mounted on the front of the ship, and a max of two Wave Motion Guns can be put on a ship. (Which is honestly overkill on an already OP weapon. I don't plan to ever utilize two WMGs on one ship. Razz) I assume you were probably talking about Wave Shock Cannons though. Razz Which honestly, I'm not sure how I would mount them on the sides and let them still rotate freely like they do. There are, however, supposed to be phaser banks and the two large arrays running along the side as well as multiple torpedo tubes. (plus the nacelle pylons have the Wave Motion Torpedo tubes.)

I honestly don't know why no one ever used maneuvering thrusters before.... those are kinda a major part of a spacecraft. I just never mentioned them until now because I thought they were implied. XD However, with my refit of the Argo class, I have maneuvering thrusters are are very noticeable placed along the forward and aft sections of the body.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:06 am
You already know my thoughts on this ship. Razz

But I do like the slanted blue saucer peice on the underside of the saucer. I would assume that would be the front of the Wave Motion Engine/Gun, but you didn't specify this as having one, only Shock cannons, so IDK what that is. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 am
Think about it... a large blue disc on the front of a starship. XD

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 am
@J-red: No, they'll be immobile weapons. Razz When I built my n00b-ish ships at the very beginning, I built giant out of proportion cannons sticking out of the hull. They're only for side-to-side use, so not super versatile, but they are weapons. Razz However, just an idea, you might be able to use T-pieces and attack them like that but IDK. Anyway, as it is, the Arondite is epic! Wink
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:56 am
I'm not a big fan of starship broadside weapons. Not very practical in space battles. With battles in the big black, you need powerful weapons that have good accuracy. Turning to where your biggest side faces the enemy to fire off a volley of inaccurate shots that may or may not hit a few targets isn't the best idea when the enemy is pounding you with photon torpedoes. Razz

I'm glad you like the ship though! I worked on it for a while, then got tired of it, then came back to it a month later. Razz Probably took at least three weeks to build in all. Mainly 'cause of my computer. XD

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 am
@J-red: Lol, energy weapons are accurate (I think Razz). And plus, I was referring to the part when both sides suicide charge each other not when they are facing each other. Razz

Lol, I know what you mean with getting tired of it. I have the same problem with a lot of what I do. Razz Speaking of which, I need to get back to that Taurus... Razz
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 am
First, thrusters are nothing new, "Maneuvering thrusters (often referred to as simply thrusters) were used by starships and other spacecraft to make precise movements in lieu of primary impulse or warp engine use. The thrusters were low-power reaction control jets that could be used for fine positional and attitudinal control, including station-keeping. They were most typically used in docking or similar maneuvers." However, more powerful engines to enhace maneuverability are rather new. The Indomitable used them, as did one of Supe's ships I believe.

Anyways, on to the ship itself. Wow. That's gorgeous. Just gorgeous. Smooth, sleek, graceful, yet powerful, deadly. That's a work of art. Well done!!! I love this ship! I love how bulky and armored it is, and yet still elegant and streamlined.
I can't wait to get on my comp and download it and comment more! Smile

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 pm
Although the main body itself seems somewhat plain, I love the frontal/saucer detailing; very well done there. The ship itself overall strikes me as somewhat blocky, yet streamlined; not sure why. The nacelles are probably my favorite part overall- I particularly like how it bulges at the front.

On the subject of marines and fighters- actually, believe you way over-did the detachment size. sure the ship is 100+ studs long, but unless it's out of proportion with everything else, 2000 marines and 800 pilots is ridiculously excessive; those would be the kind of numbers you would see on a troop transport or medium carrier! IMHO, you should turn it back to 200-ish marines (350 at the most) and 70 or so pilots.

Other than that, my only criticism is the armor- ten feet?! Considering most ship do fine with a few inches, ten feet seems wayyyyyy over the top. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:06 pm
A few inches might actually be underwhelming and more unrealistic than ten feet. The Arondite is a Supercruiser, it's built to survive, so ten feet of armor to hold back 6 foot long photon torpedoes with mucho larger blast radii seems good to me. Razz

I know I've stated that some of my ships have only a few inches of armor. Now that I think of it, a few inches might be normal for a little fighter but on a starship I'd want more protection than that. Unless we have really powerful armor (which we probably do). Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:42 pm
It sounds like the Arondite is packing some ultra-powerful armor, but that's just based off the name.

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 pm
@Mightyman & Talmid: The largest PXE ship had only like 30 cm of absorbic armor, and it was a battleship that was larger and longer than the Empress. Razz Talmid's ships are considerably more heavily armored than PXE's. But PXE does fine-ish in space combat because absorbic armor is multilayered plating that just reduces force with energy barriers. Razz At least, thats what happened in lab. Razz Never field tested!
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 pm
I guess it's like bulletproof glass, except instead of lots of stacked glass, you have lots of stacked stronger-than-glass stuff. Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 am
@ Mighty - You do realize how large this ship is, right? And that the engineering hull is pretty much just a hanger bay, right? You could fit multiple Defiants inside of it if you really wanted to. And you do realize that a Sovereign class starship had a crew close to 1000 members, right? The 5000 that I have there is the total crew including dropship pilots, Mobile Suit Pilots, Marines, etc. Plus, if I want to get rid of some of the useless redshirts and instead have Marines that don't die when you look at them, that should be totally fine. It's not like I said that there's that many tanks to go with them, it's just Marines themselves. More than feesable. As far as armor go. It's nice that your ships only have a few inches. Means mine'll last longer against yours. Maybe if the Federation didn't put only a few centimeters of armor on their ships, they wouldn't go down faster than redshirts in a Bantha cage.

Modern carriers, (and formerly battleships) destroyers, etc. have at LEAST a foot of armor. inches are for fighters and tanks. Feet are for starships that have to stand up to phasers, torpedoes, lasers, Mass Drivers, and whatever else may be out there.

Also, the armor that's only centimeters long in ST-verse is ablative armor, meant to stop phasers and such. However... it'd get chewed to pieces by non-energy weapons like mass drivers.

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:04 am
@Talmid: Absorbic armor works through magnetization and dispersion, almost like a less advanced version of EDSG's (energy dispersion shielding grid). Absorbic armor is generally made up of four layers (different width depending on armor). The first layer acts to magnetize the projectile/energy blast. Afterwards, several other monopoles of opposite charge pull the projectile/energy towards them, severely dissipating the actual blast. The energy/projectile may make it to the next level, but it would be extremely difficult as the monopoles essentially degenerate it. All layers of absorbic armor work in the same way. Absorbic armor has limited regeneration capabilities as it uses the monopoles to "attract" broken sections of the armor back together. This makes it self-regenerating. Absorbic shields work in the same way. Hyperthermal shields work in different ways and are only but extremely deadly against projectile weapons. Hyperthermal shields cannot be worn down by weapons and will only disengage once its grid system runs out of power. Thus, a ship with solar rings could theoretically use the hyperthermal grid indefinitely. This is mainly because the hyperthermal shield does not act against the projectile; rather, the energy already generated in the shield destroys the projectile. Likewise with absorbic shields, it can theoretically run indefinitely with an unlimited energy supply. The easiest way to disable these shields is by targeting solar grids, the energy grids (internal), or the MCEG (internally, think of the LHC but on a much larger scale). Then there are DSG's which also rely on magnetization and can run indefinitely as well.

Largest drawback with all of these technologies is that they are susceptible to heavy magnetic interference. A ship-mounted weapon will do virtually nothing to mess up the magnetization, but a solar flare might. Magnetic shields are equipped throughout the ship protecting individual areas. So long as these are in place, the ships' shields and armor are invulnerable, and the ship is perfectly safe. Very Happy

Anyway, my point is, a PXE unit's light armor and shielding can compensate for a massive amount of other armor or shielding.

There will obviously be scientific errors here, but I will not change it just because shields by themselves are a Class II impossibility. So don't call this unrealistic until you prove a way to operate shields. Razz But seriously, I'm not going to change this as it took a very long time to think up. So sorry. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Location : Observing the construction of the latest starcruiser.
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:09 am
I hate having to figure out how all your shielding and such works in order to be your (maybe) enemy. It almost makes me want to give up and join you. Razz

The ship is beautiful by the way. I love white ships, and the sleek lines and amazing curves on this one actually made my jaw drop when I opened the topic. Razz It seems like a hospital/luxury ship to me though. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am
@Blacktron: Razz Perhaps joining is the best idea for you. You are no match for the military might of PXE. Razz JK Although, you really should join, you know... Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:45 am
@PXR: But... but... you guys don't have any enemies... and Blacktron is not supposed to be allied with the PCG and, by relation, the Space Police and... Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 am
@Blacktron: PXE is not allied with the PCG, Feds, or anybody else (as far as I know Razz). We're just a "peaceful" company that wants to backstab, profit,destroy, help everybody. That was such a lie I just said at the end. Razz Space Police?! Those pathetic fools. Razz Couldn't even catch a snail crawling in the middle of nowhere. Well, it is nowhere. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

Perfect Grade

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 am
@PXR: "Peaceful"? Excuse me? Razz Every time you post anywhere I see the words "military", "rotation", "soldiers", "ships". Razz

Although I do agree about the Space Police. Bunch of pushovers they are. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 am
I assume you don't think I'm secretly a Space Police undercover operative? Razz JK

Well, of course we're peaceful! We like to make everybody think know that we're nice and friendly but in reality we are building a massive navy, air force, and army to destroy everything!!!. Razz

Okay, this is getting off topic. Razz Sorry about that.  Embarassed 
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am
*hops back onto the topic*

Very nice spaceship... mmm.... *praise* *hype* *praise*
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:35 am
Danke, Danke. XD

And as far as SP being pushovers... well... looks like I'll have to do something about that one. Wink

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 am
@PXR: Although I didn't read past this part in your shields, I do see one major flaw immediately . You can't magnetize energy....and you can't magnetize solid projectiles if they're hot enough, as in, I can make a magnetized piece of steel lose that just be heating it red-hot. Now a intrinsically magnetic thing will become magnetic again on cooling, but a ferromagnetic material (like steel), will become lose it's magnetic properties when it is heated to a certain temperature (usually about red hot.

Now whether all the projectile rounds will be red-hot when they come into contact with that armor is a different question, but it won't be blocking energy blasts any time soon, or if the armor is heated up too hot then it won't do squat against projectiles, so after a few plasma rounds hit it it's toast.

But I didn't read about the rest of the armor yet so IDK how that holds up. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum