Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

Excelsior Class Database

on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:26 pm
SNOT UPDATE:
Although the saucer looked to be SNOT when I first released it, you might be surprised to know that it was not true SNOT...it was a clever hybrid I cooked up once. Razz But now, I have uploaded a version with a TRUE SNOT saucer, as well as a couple other minor edits.

The new SNOT saucer is wider than the first hybrid saucer, but still similar to the comparison photos with the refitted Excelsior. Again, this makes it wider than what it should be in Perfect Grade, but there are some things that must be sacrificed in favor of structural accuracy. And besides, the Excelsior Class is over 300 years old...in order to bring it up to contemporary PCG standards, I suppose I have SOME small liberties, don't I? Wink

The latest .lxf file is actually of the Steadfast, but just change the green colors to the appropriate Excelsior coloration and you have the Excelsior standard. Razz

I would like to say first off that, if there is anything good about this ship, it is due to my Savior, Jesus Christ. I prayed to Him a number of times that He would help me with this...I know, perhaps a petty thing to pray for. But I hope whatever good exists in this model will glorify His Name.

I would also like to add that, if there is anything bad about this ship, it can be attributed to two things: 1) my humanity, which is always prone to mistakes. Razz  and 2) an proud desire for approval which tends to not cause things to work out too well, for "God opposeth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble."

I was greatly aided in my work by the discovery of a website which had a number of Excelsior photos and information. This helped me to not only build the Excelsior to the design it was intended, but also even to certain lengths it was intended.

I built this ship according to official scale, which is 1 stud = 10 meters. This ship is a bit bigger than the Excelsior, but Dino and I agree that the difference is so slight it almost can't be helped without messing up the ship's essential characteristics.

HERE'S THE PICS!

Spoiler:
" />

Compariing the Hulls of Excelsior 1 and Excelsior 2:
" />

Scale Comparison (J-red, Talmid, Me):
" />

Front Comparison:
" />

Rear Comparison:
" />

Side Comparison:
" />

Top Comparison:
" />

.LXF FILE LINK TO FIRST EXCELSIOR:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a945r7je9qi4ix6/Excelsior%20Class%20Starship%2C%20with%20Adjustments2.lxf

.LXF FILE LINK TO SNOT-HULL EXCELSIOR
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1d078xhcji1avx/Excelsior%20Class%2C%20Final.lxf

.LXF FILE LINK TO SNOT-SAUCER EXCELSIOR:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34mc1zaawc5w8x5/Steadfast%2C%20with%20Edits.lxf

This ship is dedicated to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. May He use whatever good is in this vessel for His glory!

Well, gentlemen, opinions please. Wink

EXCELSIOR!!! EVER UPWARD!!!

In Christ,
~Scare~

Last edited by Kommandant Scarecrow on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:42 pm; edited 4 times in total

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Re: Excelsior Class Database

on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:35 pm
Shocked  affraid Razz *

BEST

EXCELSIOR

EVAR

PERIOD.

(OK, that was mainly me obsessing over how ridiculously terrific/amazing/epic/awesome the saucer is. I can't get over it. It's truly amazing).

...npow that I've composed myself, I will say the underside rounded part could be a bit smoother, but I don't see how you could do that outside of SNOT work... then again, the incredible saucer is also SNOT. Razz

Great work!

*Where's the jaw-dropping one when you need it? Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:18 am
Wow! You may have just outshone all of us who have ever endeavoured the Excelsior! Very well done; He has given you a great talent.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 pm
@Mightyman: Thanks! The SNOT saucer took some brainstorming. I had actually made two other saucers (I think) before I finally came up with the right one. The top isn't as smooth as I would like it to be, but oh well.
I see what you mean as far as smoothing the lower hull. That is difficult to do. But EXCELSIOR! EVER UPWARD! I shall try again! Wink

@Gandalf: Thank you! All glory goes to the Lord, of course. Wink He really helped me to work hard at this. This was the first time I actually did some homework on the ship before I started building! Razz

@All: I have made some minor adjustments to the vessel which I think are important for accuracy and scale. I will upload those adjustments when I am able.

Anyone else have comments?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Commander (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:03 pm
@Scare: As it's most certainly due. Of course. Smile The homework definitely paid off! I usually studied images of canon ships extensively before undertaking one, but specs and tech I never bothered to look into :p
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 pm

(Mighty, jawdrop is to the left of the machine gun near the bottom of the emote options)

bounce affraid Laughing cheers Exclamation Shocked   

[Faints.

Five minutes later.

Wakes up and mumbles, fumbles for words, stutters, opens and closes mouth, hyperventilates, makes unintelligible noises, and  babbles incoherently for several minutes before fainting again.

Five minutes later, wakes up and just stares at screen for ten minutes, drool running down open mouth.]

Scare.... wow... just... wow.... that is absolutely AMAZING!!!! I am blown away. I am honestly having difficulty finding words to express how much I adore this ship. Wow... I.... wow... It's GORGEOUS. BEAUTIFUL. SPECTACULAR. AWESOME. WONDERFUL. EPIC. INCREDIBLE. GREAT.

You sir, have been given a gift for this! I think I need to try prayer when building... because it clearly worked. That saucer design is simply nothing short of inspired, and I do not say that lightly. I believe that is the best Excelsior saucer I have ever seen. The engineering hull and nacelles are good, need some work, but that saucer....

Critiques:

I want to see a SNOT engineering hull. I think I have RMM's excellent version of it, so I could send you the LXF, of, pictures of the break-down... of course, RMM is back and semi-active, so that'd help. Talmid's is very similar in design I believe, if you want to go off of that.

The navigational deflector appears to be too small to me, perhaps try a flat tile 2x2 round?

Connect the 4 pieces at the top end of the engineering hull! Razz Don't get too eager to upload before you check your work to be sure it's connected Razz

Your nacelles. They're good, I don't see how they could get much better at this scale in Lego pieces. I can live without the "fins" on the front and back ends of the nacelles, but I want to see the "black section" extend the whole way through to the end, as is shown in the comparison pics.

Your ship is slightly out of scale... nothing can be done about this as far as I can see as Lego comes in set sizes, and to get it in scale would have a 95% chance of messing up the look of a the ship and the scale of the sections with itself. Don't worry about that, it's close enough.

On the top of your saucer, I would narrow the dark azure section by one stud on each side, at least, where the medium stone gray details go. I would then move those medium stone gray details in by a stud, (you'll have to change the piece uses for all of this, and as the light gray section will be narrower overall, you'll lose one studs worth on each side... yeah... that doesn't make sense even saying it... Razz ) I suggest that you then round out the transition of your medium stone gray detailing from the front of the bridge to the sides of the bridge with flat tile 1x1 round pieces in medium stone gray.

I'm running out of things to critique here.... you beg everyone to tell you how bad your work is... but there really isn't much to complain about... you're work is simply very, very good!

Congratulations, that's a BEAUTIFUL ship Scare! And once you do as I tell you (JK Razz ) I think it will be the best Excelsior at anywhere NEAR this scale, that I have encountered... anywhere. You sir are now the Excelsior Master. Razz GREAT work! I absolutely LOVE this ship! That saucer design... (takes a deep breath through teeth) wow... that's just... wow... Very Happy    Shocked Very Happy 

I believe you are as obsessed with the Excelsior as Talmid is with the Galaxy, and I am with the Sovereign. Razz The time you have taken on this shows... wow...

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 pm
@Gandalf: Research is one of the best tools I could ever have used as a starship builder. Wink

@Dino: Thank you so much for your critiques! I will try to work on as many of the things you mentioned as possible. You are my best critic, and when I apply your suggestions, it almost always turns out better than it would have if I didn't.
I'm glad it turned out so well. That is truly a tribute to God's grace, as I have struggled much with wrong motives (e.g. a proud desire to be the best) for building this ship. I think, however, that He may have helped me due to another motive that was good...which I will reveal in due time. Wink  
I'll get to work on your suggestions ASAP!

EDIT TO DINO:
I forgot to mention that the unattached pieces you mentioned are actually attached: they just aren't attached by all four studs. Razz (I think I know which ones you're talking about...the slanted bricks in front just below the saucer mount, right? Sorry I'm not very good with ship lingo...when you said "engineering hull" I was like, "Whazzat?" Razz )

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:14 am
As I stated previously, this is excellent, my next canon starship to refit is definatly be my Excelsior class. Razz After that... there's so many to choose from, maybe Steamrunner or Akira. Or something smaller like NX. Then again, there's always Ambassador to complete the Enterprise Lineup Razz Anywho, excellent as always!

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 pm
J-red: Thanks! Glad you like her! This is the first ship I've taken serious time to work on when it comes to research. By God's grace, it seems to have paid off!

I will be uploading another version of it with a true SNOT saucer (believe it or not, that saucer is not truly SNOT...it's a little hybridized version I cooked up to look like SNOT), and after that I'm going to leave it alone for awhile. Razz

I would love to see your version of the Akira! The Akira is one of my favorite canon ships, and I love your style. What could be better than a J-red Akira? Wink

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:35 am
(Just nods in approval with a big grin on my face.)

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Hmmm SNOT... niiiiiiiiiice.

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 am
I just noticed something.  Razz  Your Excelsior is one stud too tall (nothing major, I wouldn't worry about it)  However, it's also four studs too long.  The width is spot on though!  Like I said  Neither of these are major, and a difference in size is to be expected with rifts.

Something else I've discovered is that there is an Excelsior variant. There is the Excelsior type (79 Ships of this line) and there is the Enterprise type (5 ships of this line)

To be exact, they were...

USS NCC-14232 Berlin
USS NCC-41776 Concord
USS NCC-1701-B Enterprise
USS NCC-42768 Lakota
USS NCC-13958 Okinawa

If you Google Excelsior class starship, you'll come up with with two different variants. One with the impulse engines the way you have them (This is the Enterprise Type. (Which actually, the fin-like things coming off the TOP have impulse engines as well.) The Excelsior Type has no impulse engines built into the hull section and just the ones coming off the top. (making the hull completely smooth and circular)
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 pm
@J-red:

LOL, yeah, I knew I was off in length and possibly height...but I had no idea I was spot-on with width! That's a relief! Razz

Thanks for the Excelsior info! I knew there were at least two versions of the Excelsior, but I did not know about the impulse differences you mentioned. Thanks for filling me in!

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:54 pm
I would also like to add that only the Enterprise-Type Excelsior has the fins on the front and top of the back of the nacelle.

Also, the black/gray part does not go all the way forward on the Enterprise-Type.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum