Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Bastion-class Custom Assault cruiser

on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:47 pm
Those of you keeping up with the SoL RP have probably noticed my fairly large post in which I assigned four ships to an officer to link up with the main task force. Unfortunately, when choosing which ship I sent, I made the mistake of not choosinng any ships I’ve already uploaded!

Well, that changes today. Twisted Evil  *cue explosion* Razz

Spoiler:

The Bastion class is a pocket battleship custom-designed by the PECF, one for each of their elite assault fleets; the PCG Bastion for Jupiter fleet; the PCG Corvus for Neptune fleet; and the PCG Defensatrix for Mars fleet. Each one is slightly altered to fit the commandant of each individual fleet, but much of the core systems and whatnot remain universal. Although the early concept designs borrowed heavily from Federation multirole cruisers, the final product is all lean killing power. Since they experienced such a limited production run, the PCEF was able to secure additional funding for construction, allowing for the Bastion class to rock advanced warp cores, weaponry systems, shielding, and other technology usually reserved for larger vessels due to size or power constraints.
   Furthermore, because they were assigned to elite units, Bastions are crewed only by the creme of the crop, the best of the best (this is especially true for Neptune fleet, as they pride themselves in high crew quality instead of numbers).
   The actual production of the Bastion class was repeatedly delayed, mainly due to administrative snafus. Normally, a new design is worked upon independently by a developer and then brought to the PCG’s Central Starship Development Academy (CSDA), where it is finished, polished, and sent to the Bureau of Fleet Expansion, which oversees the construction of new vessels and the recruitment of SDF personnel. The BFE then assigns various fleet yards to begin work on the new vessels and transmits instructions on training specifications for those assigned to the new craft to the PCG’s various academies. Ships requiring more secrecy in their construction is entirely handled by the Department of Starship Covert Operations (DSCO, colloquially “Disco”). However, the Bastion went through neither of these methods and attempted to skip straight to production, with some oversight from the DSCO. However, even though the PCG was never huge on administration or strict routines, this breach in a protocol so rarely broken left many in the upper chain of command confused.
   Once the ship was built, however, all those issues just melted away. She had three warp cores, and each was hooked up to an experimental power amplifier, multiplying the amount of power the vessel had available twelvefold. This meant that extra juice was available to be pumped into the new, also experimental micro-hyperpulse thrusters, giving the ship phenomenal acceleration and maneuverability.
  The extra power also allowed the ship to carry a new Corbomite Reflector, similar to the one equipped on some Sovereign-class ships. The “reflector” was an enhanced version of a deflector, that, instead of simply blocking particles, actually reflected them away from the ship. Although normally only capable of reflecting small objects such as micrometeors, the reflector can be “overcharged” into a bubble that extends past the shield barrier, capable of completely reflecting almost all incoming fire, sometimes right back at the attacking ship. I don’t think I have to talk about how effective this could theoretically be. Furthermore, since the ship’s shields are behind the reflector, they can recharge while the reflector is active, albeit at a reduced rate due to the massive amount of power the reflector requires while overcharged. The effect lasts about three minutes, and a ship with the reflector active suffers from reduced weapon rate-of-fire (due to the advanced targeting solutions required to not hit the reflector themselves) and slower sub-light speeds.
   Another interesting aspect of the Bastion-class is it’s warp nacelle configuration. It has a highly irregular triple-nacelle layout. I’d explain the advantages of this, but why should I when Memory Alpha has already did it so well?:

Memory Alpha wrote:According to the Spaceflight Chronology (page 139), a three-nacelle configuration gives a third more power to the warp drive, greater acceleration and faster engagement. However, in the first experiments, the third nacelle accentuated discrepancies in the warp field causing warp vibrations. This created difficulties in steering, and would have resulted in the ship shaking itself apart at higher warp speeds. It was however noted that if the design was constructed perfectly it was possible for it to deliver what it promised.

This allows the Bastion to get the drop on enemy vessels right out of warp, as well as the ability to chase all but the fastest warp-capable vessels. If, for whatever reason, the third nacelle would cause the aforementioned warp-field disruption, it is possible to deactivate it and only use the remaining two, although it is not capable of doing this mid-warp-flight.
   Another application for the additional power was, of course, weaponry. The Bastion-class, at 663 meters long, is one of the smallest vessels in the PCG’s arsenal to employ isokinetic cannons. It also packs a large array of phasers, railguns, torpedoes, etc., allowing it to punch through just about anything. Of course, the ship is far from invincible; the PCG Bastion, during a standard pirate-hunting operation, was lured into a nebula and ambushed, requiring several months of repair (this immediately precipitated the Bastion’s participation in the SoL TF).
   As one can (and should) expect, the quarters aboard the Bastion-class are rather stoic, to say the least. Each room is more akin to a college dorm, with several people confined to a single room and little personal space. The only pleasure systems the ship has are a pair of recreational gyms in the secondary hull, and a bar/observation area on the saucer’s dorsal side. However, the ship also has a disproportionately-large marine detachment, with three armories throughout the vessel. In addition to these, the Bastion-class also packs a relatively-large hangar bay, though not exactly one to write home about. Soon after being commissioned, the ships were refitted with a phase-cloak and improved automated systems; The Bastion herself was also equipped with a spec-ops hangar designed to carry three Knight stealth fighters, three Yersinia commando-insertion shuttles, or any combination thereof.

Pictures:
Spoiler:

Does this ship remind anyone else of J-red’s style? It sure does to me; partially because I stole the saucer design from his Andromeda, and partially because (minus the bottom engineering hull and third nacelle), it looks a lot like his Arcadia (I think it was the Arcadia; I might be thinking of something else). The ship itself came out quite nicely IMHO, even if I ended up crowding the mid-saucer ‘cause I was too lazy to put SNOT-type bricks in since I hadn’t already. Although I had a general idea of what I wanted the ship to look like beforehand (e.x. it should have three nacelles, generally resemble by “normal” cruisers), I mostly just played it by ear, and I’m actually quite happy with the result .

That about sums it up; the only thing I can think to mention now is a reminder to log on to the chat on Labor day at 3PM for the Pretendiversary, and roll the stats!

Stats:
-Classification: PCBP
-Role: Pocket Battleship, anti-frigate, pursuit ship, attack cruiser,
-Armaments: 45 phaser banks, 10 phaser cannons, 15 phaser arrays, 6 railguns, 2 torpedo banks, 16 fore-facing torpedo tubes, 9 aft-facing torpedo tubes, 2 isokinetic cannons
-Shielding: 82 shielding generators, capable of recharging fully in 8 minutes;Corbomite reflector
-Armor: 1.7 inches average throughout the ship; 2.4 inches in key areas; 3.7 inches over warp core, bridge
-Dimensions:
   -Length: 663 meters
   -Beam: 340 meters
   -Height: 162 meters
-Impulse: 2 modified micro-hyperpulse engines; max speed warp .8
-Warp: 3 Packard-Georgia nacelles; MCW: Warp 8.4; MEW: 9.83
-Sensors: Extended, max range 935,000 KM; TDG (tachyon detection grid)
-Crew: 45 officers, 463 crew, 85 marines, 90 pilots
-Strike Craft: 2 squadrons Apollo interceptors; 1 squadron Stallion bombers; 6 Valkyrie shuttles; 2 Hercules heavy shuttles (Geez, I really need to make all these models. Razz); PCG Bastion carries additional Knight/Yersinia stealth craft

EDIT: Forgot the Dropbox link.     Mad  pale 
Dropbox .lxf link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnddh1vnoozyxvw/PCG%20Bastion%20PCBP.lxf?dl=0

Comments/criticism/questions/concerns are welcome!

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : See the part where I say "Edit")

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

Re: Bastion-class Custom Assault cruiser

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:44 am
Saaaaaaaaaaay whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? This thing is awesome! Probably your best ship yet.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 am
Thank a lot. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm
(whistles long and low.) PHEEEEEEEEEW. Wow... That's just amazing... Mighty... this is... wow... it's purdy! This looks so... professional... keep this up, and you'll soon be at risk of attaining top level builder status in my book. Very Happy (Please don't take that as an insult, top level builders are the likes of J-red, S-H (although he's beyond even top level builder Razz ) and Legotrain)
    The only reason that this isn't at that level is some of it is... well, less absolutely amazing than the majority of it. The nacelle pylons are just ordinary angled plates, nothing remarkable. I would try for SNOT versions of those pylons. I would also make the nacelle pylons much shorter. In fact, I would seriously consider attaching the two side mounted nacelles where the current SNOT ends.  
    And I'm eh on the amount of blue detailing on the upper saucer, but none anywhere else. (I'm trying to picture it without the blue paint job, or with a more total one, and it looks REALLY good in my imagination, but it feels uneven with it as is.)
    I'm not a fan of lots of studs visible anywhere on ships, especially SNOT ships. I would advise tiling most of the showing studs on the angled plate parts of the saucer.
    Other than that... this is one absolutely AWESOME ship! The SNOT work is truly excellent here, and the design is quite good! Time for none-build-related critiquing:
    Why all the ridiculous bureaucracy in getting an awesome ship design like this approved? This is the PCG, not the Federation! Razz Also, I've got at least one ship that should be less than 200 meters with an isokinetic cannon, but I'm glad to see the weapon system being used more! Very Happy I take it you've been reading up on Memory Alpha? I've seen you quote it a couple times recently. Good for you! Very Happy

I'm really LOVING this ship! The SNOT, the cool, unique design, and that lower engineering hull/nav-deflector housing are great! And those SNOT nacelles!!!   I honestly just enjoy staring at this ship! Very Happy It's so... good looking!

Looks like Sovereign meets Steamrunner meets old school Federation Dreadnought. NICELY done! Very Happy

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:26 pm
"At risk of attaining top level builder status"...? XD

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:51 pm
*facepalm* I just spent ten minutes typing a reply and then deleted it.

Anyway, I don't feel like re-typing that whole thing, so I'll just summarize:
-Color scheme: can't believe that slipped by me, I'll get to it tonight
-Nacelles: I like a lot of the angles as-is and can't think of a good SNOT way of implementing them; I'll try what you said about shortening them, though.
-Amount of studs: Don't like it either, but I don't see an easy/convient solution, so I'm not sure about it. I'll have to see...
-Bureaucracy: True, but I wanted more flavor text, and couldn't think of anything good to add to it's history. Razz
-Iso-cannons: Yeah, and I have a ship in the pipes that's basically "Cannon+engines". Razz I've been using MA more lately, but still not regularly. Razz
-Nacelles: Yep, I share your feelings. Razz I originally designed'em for the Indianna-class (another ship I have to post), but then I really liked how they came out, and inducted them into my plethora of standardized nacelles. It's basically my go-to for cruisers, so expect to see a lot of it. Razz
-Skill: I concur with J-red; that hardly seems like a threat. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:10 pm
Nacelle pylons, I can think of a few ways, but I feel too tired and lazy from running to try and think of words that fit the picture in my head right now. Razz I do like the angle you have them at. Smile

Bureaucracy. Descriptive background flavoring is always nice. Smile

Isokinetic cannons. MA? Razz Mass Accelerators? I look forward to your self-propelled cannon though... I think I just classified it! Razz

Nacelles. I look forward to seeing much more of those awesome nacelles! Very Happy

Skill. That's because it's not a threat. Razz

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm
MA= Memory Alpha Razz

Speaking of mass-accelerating, anyone have any idea how isokinetic cannons actually work? I tried thinking up an explanation a while ago but didn't get very far...

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:50 pm
We pretty much know zip about isokinetic cannons. They just appeared in one EP of VOY, and for only the first ten minutes of that. MA says the following about it: "An isokinetic cannon was a type of starship-mounted directed energy cannon weapon developed and sold by the Entharan civilization of the Delta Quadrant."
And about directed energy weapons: "A directed energy weapon was a device which, in the form of a gun or other type of weapon, fired a beam, pulse, or projectile made of, or charged with, high-energy particles or other energies."

In other words, we don't know much. Razz It was just Trek technobabble for the story.

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 pm
Well, then...

"iso" is a greek-derived prefix roughly meaning "equal", and kinetic has to do with active, used energy... so perhaps something to do with energy differential?

IDK.

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:53 pm
AWESOME ship, MM! I think this is possibly your best yet!

I love the unorthodox-yet-still-orthodoxy look to it. The detailing and SNOT design are practically perfect, and I really like the nacelles and nacelle pylons as they fit the ship quite well. Color scheme seems a bit too colorful in some respects, but that's also coming from a rather dull-color fan. Razz

Congratulations on a job well done! I can't see any serious flaws with it.

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm
Scare- Thanks! there were a few SNOT issues, but those were much more prominent on the new Harmony class (which is basically a bigger Bastion). Razz

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum