Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

Excelsior Class Heavy Cruiser

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:05 am
~ Start Entry ~

The Excelsior class heavy cruiser was designed as a replacement for the Constitution class Heavy Cruiser.  Thought its initial shakedowns were less than satisfactory.    However, after adjustments were made to the ships design, it became a standard workhorse of the Federation, and in its prime, over 79 ships of the line were created.  

However, in addition to the 79 original ships, there were five more ships created as a variant of the Excelsior.  The first of which was the NCC-1701-B Enterprise.  These five ships were created with a heavier weapons outfitting and were made to handle higher-profile missions.

The Excelsiors saw primary usage from the 2280's to the 25'th century.  Since then, the PCG has utilized them (with the proper modifications) with great success (as they do most of their vessels).

- Specifications -

Length: 511.25 Meters
Beam: 195.64 Meters
Height: 86.76 Meters

All other specs are kept in constant with standard retrofit procedures.

- Images -

Excelsior Class (Mk. I)

Excelsior-Type

Excelsior-Type:

Enterprise-Type

Enterprise-Type:

- Excelsior-Type .Lxf -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt5gyxkq0x6jczy/Excelsior%20Class%20Mk.%20II%20-%20Excelsior-Type%20-%20Perfect%20Grade.lxf?dl=0

- Enterprise-Type .Lxf -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg43kqfysnd5xfa/Excelsior%20Class%20Mk.%20II%20-%20Enterprise-Type%20-%20Perfect%20Grade.lxf?dl=0

~ End Entry ~

Last edited by Johnnyred on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Re: Excelsior Class Heavy Cruiser

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 am
I must confess, I'm not so sure about using 300/400 year old heavy cruisers, modified or not. Razz

That being said, the actual models are, once again, excellent.

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:01 am
Don't be redonculous. We don't use the old ones. We build new ones. Razz

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 am
Woohoo, more Excelsiors! Very Happy With the Excelsior-type Excelsior, I think the cowlings around the front of the engineering hull are meant specifically for the five refit Enterprise-type style Excelsiors.

Spoiler:

Something I did wrong with my Excelsior was I put the cowlings too high, when as seen in this drawing they should be lower, closer to the deflector dish.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:03 pm
Ah, finally! A Perfect Grade J-red Excelsior! I was wondering when you would post one. Wink

And may I congratulate you on a job well done. SNOT technique overall is excellent, and I like your work on the nacelles, engineering hull, and stern. I also like the color scheme and work you did on the central portion of the hull.

The lower fins in the rear portion of the nacelles look too big to me, based on what I have seen in official pics. I realize that you were trying to capture the finned look but honestly I think some things are best left alone for the sake of aesthetics and general accuracy. The saucer looks a bit too squarish, and it lacks the sloping quality seen in the Excelsior's saucer:

Spoiler:
[img][/img]

I could probably give a better analysis if I had the .lxf file, but unfortunately my comp doesn't seem to accept files from MediaFire. Sad

I don't mean to seem critical, but having devoted literally hours to analyzing pictures of the Excelsior and the Excelsior Heavy Cruiser, I think I might consider myself to have some license for scrutiny. Razz

Overall a great job, and nice to see a Perfect Grade Excelsior of yours!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:17 pm
WELL DONE! I was never good at the Excelsior class, so I respect those who get it right.. and you get it right! Well done! Very Happy

Scare is to the Excelsior what Talmid is to the Galaxy and I am to the Sovereign. Razz So I'll let him do the critiquing, but overall, great work! Very Happy

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 am
@ Talmid - Danke! BTW, I just realized that you never checked out my Galaxy. Razz Also, any official ST-Verse ships of mine feel free to use. (Especially since they were Federation ships initially)

@ Scare - Dang-it! Can you open dropbox files? I wonder if there's something else I could use to upload... what do you use? As far as the ship goes itself... The saucer, yeah, I realize that... however, with my style of building, I didn't feel right adding to the upper section without messing up my style. The bottom fins, that's easily taken care of. I can tweek those and make them smaller with no problem.

@ Dino - Danke! Personally, I attempt to be an expert on all of them. Razz

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:42 am
Johnnyred: I will go look, Captain. Smile
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:30 pm
@J-red: I use Dropbox. It's add-free (at least on my comp), and it has worked quite well the whole time I've had it. When I first downloaded it, it was a bit slow in uploading some of my files, but nowadays it works like a charm. Wink

I understand what you mean as far as messing up building style. That is especially difficult with a SNOT saucer as there is no way to really give the sloping effect that I know of. (You could use the kind of pieces I used on my Excelsior, but then it would wind up looking more like mine. Razz )

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum