Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

Re: The Javelin

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:42 pm
S-H, that is epic. Simply epic. Maybe not what I expected it to turn out as, but epic nonetheless. The shipyards are ingenious. The frontal hangar bay thing is ingenious. Heck, the whole darn thing is ingenious. I don't know what else to say, and emotes just won't cut it either. But either way,

*Sorry I can't say more, but the epicness of the model ruined my voice typing skills. Razz
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:11 pm
That first pic... awesome angle, epic background... this is when you know it's one of those "shut up and take my money" times. This is perhaps the most epic ship I have ever had the pleasure to lay my eyes on, excepting, just maybe, the Aquila. I love the idea of a truly massive support ship that essentially functions as a mobile base.

That reminds me... I need to work on the Halcyon... and get that a codename...

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:22 pm
Wow oh wow... that is beyond amazing. Is there any St. George in there? Razz
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:37 pm
Wow. Just... wow. It doesn't matter that I see hardly any of the St. George in it. It really reminds me of the Earth ships Daedalus and Prometheus from Stargate SG-1 in the color and hull paneling style.The shipyards are awesome! This is pretty much perfect.

When I look at this, though, I do miss some of the vertical height that mega-ships like the St. George or the Malevolence from SW have. If you added something like the command bridge spire on the Malevolence, I think this vessel could go beyond perfect. But that's just my two cents. I love it anyway! Very Happy

Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:42 pm
This ship

I just

I literally can't even

CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 pm
THANK YOU. Finally, someone else who hates the SW tendency towards over-pronounced bridge superstructures. And who thinks the Malevolence is super ugly anyway. Razz

Btw, this is the very bestest ship. I really don't have any other words for it, it's just really, really good.

...more please? Razz

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 pm
S-H wrote:and, to be fair, it's a valid criticism

I don't think that was a criticism. Razz

Supe wrote:Btw, this is the very bestest ship. I really don't have any other words for it, it's just really, really good.

...more please? Razz

I SECOND THE MOTION! Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:54 pm
Wow.....

Words are inadequate to describe this behemoth. I will try, but I find my tongue is failing me.

It's HUGE. Duh... but... the sheer size is just so incredibly impressive.

The build techniques are absolutely brilliant. I would comment on all the marvelous details you put into it, but that would take ALL DAY... and tomorrow, to write. The side detail, the SNOT detailing, the weapons, the hangers, the FTL rings, the greebling, the lettering... it's excellent. This ship has the best understated and utilitarian (not cluttered) detailing of ANY ship I have ever seen. Bar none.  

I do have some suggestions. Like Spud, I think it could use some height.

I also notice that it is a very basic (very long) rectangle) I wish I could advise you on how to make it more interesting shape wise, but I have repeatedly tried and failed to do similarly shaped ships like it and not have them be rectangles.

I feel that while it is well armed with mega-weapons, it seems it should have some more beam weapons and standard torpedo launchers. Although, as this was built for the sole purpose of battling the Specters, it would be futile to add such light weapons to its armament. If it were a general purpose mega-support-ship, than I would strongly advise fleshing her out with some smaller guns.

Were it a general-purpose mega-support ship, it would need standard shielding in addition to the Multi Phasic Spatial Coil as it can't go to FTL speeds and remain shielded at the same time.

It lacks ventral and aft weaponry. This is very bad for a ship this massive, even a Specter-killer.

The command tower is too low for the crew to see out the windows past the FTL rings/ big guns. It doesn't have to be a huge command tower, about a brick higher, maybe two, would do. And I understand about wanting it to be streamlined. And it certainly is.

I wouldn't call it a St/ G re-imagine. I LOVE IT as what it is: the Javelin. But please, let it be what it must be. Smile I can tell that the St. G provided some inspiration with the FTL rings. Nice touch! Very Happy But it doesn't have to be a refit. It's clearly an St. G inspired end-of-the-alternate-universe warship. It doesn't need to pay homage to another ship with its name. Smile

I feel that it would benefit from some additional color work. Perhaps some more dark gray? Honestly, I think this ship should be dark gray with light dray detailing. It's build is too dark and powerful for such a light and friendly color as light gray. (And light gray isn't friendly Razz )  

A Dominion ship? Interesting... it doesn't LOOK like their typical designs, nor does it look much like anything in Trek. It is simply too unashamedly utilitarian to be a canon Trek ship. Razz Which is good. Might I suggest that it be a collaboration between the Dominion, and those few Federation ships that escaped? It looks much more like a Fed/Dominion crossover ship to me.  

It took a lot of careful thought to provide those critiques. I can't think of anything else I would change. This is an incredibly good ship. I am in awe. My hat is off to you, S-H, as always, AWESOME work! I wish I could say more to compliment this ship. I love it. But it is just too awesome to describe properly.

And I third the motion for more S-H work. Very Happy

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:59 pm
I actually like the flat shape; reminds me of Hiigaran torpedo frigates from Homeworld 2. Razz

...Actually, on second thought, I think all the frigates looked like that... the Hiigaran ones, anyway. Razz

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:56 pm
S-H: Mine too. SG-1 for the win! Very Happy

Yeah, the Daedalus is pretty sweet. In my book it's second only to Atlantis itself. Very Happy

I can see how you incorporated parts of the Daedalus and Prometheus into the Javelin, like with the offset, slightly raised bridge bunker on the aft section and the way the hull armor slants down slightly over the side. Also, I do understand about not having height. I'd ask to have a crack at it myself, but my computer would probably melt if I tried to open the .lxf. Razz

And just for the record, Daragon, the Malevolence isn't that ugly.

Okay, maybe it's a bit ugly. I still like it, though. Razz

And I *insert whatever the next number in the line is here* that motion! Very Happy

Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:22 pm
Bridges are useless when you have 3-D projectors in chips inside your skull. Razz And they're big targets. Easy way to get important cmdrs killed. Razz Best to do away with those Razz And yeah, the Malovelence is ugly. Sorry Spud. Razz I will say that I love the Providence Classes though, I.e the Invincible and Invisible Hand and whatnot. Razz

And S-H, don't blame me! I deleted the proof! Razz

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:17 pm
... So... yeah.

I'm not even gonna say I could build like this if my computer was good enough to process it. Because I couldn't. Razz

This is simply breathtaking. So... plain... and yet colorful thanks to its wonderful greebling. The shipyards is such a magnificent idea, I'm surprised no one had thought of it before, and yet, at the same time, I'm not surprised that innovator that created the first PCG-verse supercruiser is the one that made the first starship with a shipyard.

The weapons are so well designed, and well placed at that as well. While this is an uber ship and supposed to be powerful, it seems very well balanced for its size. Not too powerful, but not underpowered at the same time.

And while yes, it does not have much resemblance to the original St. George I can see how you were inspired from it, but at the same time, I can see the Stargate influence that many of us love. (Daedalus is one of my favorite starship designs as well, though probably somewhere in my top 10-15ish.)

Excellent work, my friend, this is your best ship yet.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 pm
*insert video of H-bomb exploding*

Wow...that is absolutely gorgeous. This is perhaps one of the most realistic-looking ships I've ever seen. Obviously it is also probably the biggest ship I have ever seen in LEGO pieces.

Fantastic job. For a ship so unorthodox as this, I don't have that much criticism (since unorthodox ships rarely have other ships of the same class to compare them to)--as a matter of fact, I don't think I have any ATM.

Wonderful job, S-H!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:50 pm
S-H I completely understand about not wanting to put MORE time into something that clear already took tens of dozens of hours to build. I do have to disagree with you on the story intro though. I for one would LOVE to see it, you're writing is ALMOST as awesome as your building. Which is to say, far better than the vast majority of us will ever attain.

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:23 pm
Hey, mightyman finally told me that this thing was hiding in this little niche of the forum, and my response is uhhhh
uhhhh

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic