Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

Tenacity Class Corvette

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:47 pm
Well, seeing J-red's Rhode Island inspired me to try my hand at building something small again (remember the BoP? Razz). This is my first "contribution" to the PCG, the Tenacity Class Corvette.

The Tenacity Class Corvette, while small, is quite well-armed for its size. It has forgone most conventional weaponry for more direct frontal facing armaments and several turret cannons. This makes it a force to be reckoned with, even against larger starships.

Equipped with two nacelles and four other thrusters, it can easily outrun and outmaneuver most enemy vessels. This makes it well-suited for harassing slower, larger enemy ships.

[OK, I'm taking over from PXR from here on out -MM]

Origonally christened the Kūwao-class, the idea behind the design was to have a rapid hit-and-run raider capable of warping in and striking pirate bases, supply depots, and other relatively lightly-defended targets, before quickly retreating to avoid heavier enemy resistance. The first ship of the line, the PCG Kūwao, suffered from issues in it's warp-bubble stability and a finicky cloak, which was supposed to aid in it's escape. The design and future ships were scrapped, retired to the footnotes of history.

Until, that is, the SAF began a more concerted effort to destroy the PCG's convoys and mining installations. In the heat of the PCG counterstrike, Operation Rapid Thunder, PCG commanders quickly learned the importance of taking out the central command vessel. Many a time, the loss of a flagship- particularly a carrier- would result in a full-blown rout amongst hostile forces. In light of this, an engineering officer stationed at one of the PCG's retrofitting facilities after the conclusion of O:RT was able to requisition the half-finished hulls of the Kūwao-class and the supplies to restore them. The Kūwao herself had to be completely gutted from the inside, leaving what was to be the second ship of the line- the PCG Tenacity- as the class' flagship. (An interesting side effect of this is that the ship looks much bulkier and modified than a typical ship of this scale, as much of the problems of the original were fixed by balancing the mass and essentially adding more stuff. In other words, if it looks like the ship is bulky because they just added stuff as they went along, it's because they did. Razz)

The Tenacity-class is designed for rapid strikes on individual vessels or stations, dealing as much damage in as short a period as possible to hopefully destroy or cripple a high-priority target. They are often used alongside battle fleets, slipping past the main battle to wreak havoc on the enemy's second line (stuff like artillery ships, carriers, etc.). They have several adaptations to make them one of the PCG's premier tactical raiding craft: A modified warp core allowing it to quickly make tactical warp jumps between important areas of conflict, special torpedo launchers capable of loading and firing multiple torpedoes in quick succession at the expense of refire rate, an emphasis on stationary phaser cannons instead of normal turreted banks, a larger density of shielding generators at the fore end of the ship, and so on. The ship also packs an experimental retropulse drive that can deliver great bursts of speed at the cost of reducing speed immediately after.

Further changes were made as the design went through field testing. The most notable of these was that most Tenacitys were equipped with four large anti-aircraft phasers after combat experience showed that catrriers under attack would oft recall their own strike craft as a defence force, as well as the underslung pod housing additional engineering equipment and weapon systems. Modern versions also sport better system automation and thrust vectoring, allowing for less crew and more maneuverability.

[So that's it for tonight; I'll try to work on it more tomorrow, hopefully including proper stats and stuff.]

Spoiler:

Too lazy to do dimensions and background info, so onto armaments! Razz

Armaments:
x4 turrets (I assume for AA, but no idea)
x2 fixed phaser cannons (I don't know what the PCG uses, so yeah...)
x3 frontal torpedo launchers (1 on the saucer/2 on the engineering hull, capable of firing random torps, once again, no idea Razz)

Stats:
-Classification: PCFA
-Role: Cutter/Fast attack ship, raider, occasionally tactical recon
-Armaments: 4 anti-aircraft phaser emitters, 2 heavy phaser pulse cannons, 3 torpedo tubes (capable of volley-firing, or firing multiple torpedoes successively, at the cost of lower rate-of-fire after)
-Shielding: 18 generators, most positioned/angled to provide extra support to the forward shield
-Armor: .9 inches ablative; .2 inches neutronium
-Dimensions: N/A
-Impulse: 4 modified retropulse thrusters, capable of short bursts of great speed; max impulse speed: warp .93*
-Warp: 2 custom Kilwa-type SSTS (Small Scale Tactical Strike) nacelles; MCW: 7.3; MEW: 9.42
-Sensors: Short ranged, max distance 5,000 Units (stopped using klicks when I realized using meant my ships were practically blind Razz)
-Crew: 8 officers, 53 crewmembers, 7 or 8 marines, 2 pilots
-Strike Craft: 1 Valkyrie shuttle

Everything else, I have no idea on. Mainly, this was a test to see what a small, canon starship would look like for me. I'm not really a big fan of the tiny cannons I put on, but putting on PXE-scale/grade turrets has 2 problems for me: A. They would look terribly disproportionate, and B. PXE is not in the business of arming its "competitors" with military grade heavy weapons systems, or, in that case, anything.

I actually liked how it came out. I loosely based it off of canon ST ships, but wasn't really going for a direct ST look. I feel that the nacelles are a "bit" (very) disproportionate, but I like them since the pylons are shorter, making them way less vulnerable (an issue I should fix on PXE ships as well). TBCH, IK nothing about the PCG, so feel free to add your own stats to the thing. Razz I'll try to get an .lxf up sometime if I remember...

*Why do I express sublight speeds as warp factors? No idea....

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Description-related stuff.)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Re: Tenacity Class Corvette

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 pm
....Remind me... why don't you build more small ships again? Razz I love it! It keeps the general ST theme while still being both bulky and aesthetically pleasing! Very well done indeed!

There are issues, however. Mainly, the bottom of the hull is a bit too protruding, and the overall "bulky" aesthetic doesn't work very well with very small ships intended to be light and maneuverable.

Also, I'm technically an admin, so I can add the stats for you, if you want. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:47 pm
I'm glad to see you do something Trekish! Very Happy And small... you're very good at small! Very Happy

It feels pretty bulky for such a small ship. I would double the saucer width/length, the engineering hull length, and the nacelle length, while keeping it at the same thickness.

To be honest, I see this as being a former Federation ship that some wanna-be criminal boss, merc, or maybe smuggler HEAVILY modified to suit their needs... I like that look! Well done.

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:18 pm
@Tetra & Dino: Thanks for the feedback guys! I definitely agree about the bulkiest part and will probably refit it...sometime. Razz Glad you guys like it and thanks for the suggestions. Very Happy

And Tetra, feel free to add stats to this. Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:58 pm
K, modified the description a bit; I'll do more work tomorrow. I will admit I got a bit carried away and ended up not adding any stats at all, but instead more of a description. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 pm
Yes, I can tell you got very carried away. Razz Anyway, I really like the little background info you added, it was very interesting to read. Wink You always do a good job on your descriptions, and this one was no exception. Thanks Tetra! Razz
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 pm
The description fits this pretty well... nice cooperation Mirage and Mighty. Hmmm both of your names start with "Mi." Interesting... This is the Mi collaboration type! Razz

Mighty, you get about as carried away with your descriptions as I do with my debate/discussion posts. Razz

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:58 pm
Awwww... issa cute widdle feller. Razz

Nice work! I love your first addition to the PCG forces!

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:08 pm
Hey, glad to see a Trekkish ship designed by you! Like all the detail you managed to pack into such a small little thing. Wink Good work!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:52 pm
OK, finally added the stats proper, and changed some of the wording in the description. Might add more later, at least if requested- but for now, I'm done. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:15 am
@J-red: Thanks! Razz

@Scare: Thank you! Very Happy

@Tetra: Thanks for adding stats. Razz I don't think there are any more stats to add for now; you about covered everything! Wink Thanks!

This is the refit. I took Tetra/Dino's suggestions, and I think it looks much better, if not a bit too big now. Razz Anyway, I took Dino's advice and doubled most of the parts of the ship, except the nacelles (actually I did, but it looked a bit "eh", so I cut it a bit Razz).

Spoiler:

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:16 pm
Now THAT.... looks... AWESOME!

It REALLY looks like a small Starfleet vessel! But... weaponized. Twisted Evil

The engineering hull still feels pretty deep, if you could make it several plates thinner, that would improve on what is already a very good ship in my opinion.

What was a fairly clunky little ship is now AWESOME! But still clunky and "we'll weld on armor and bolt on new parts until it works!" sort of way. Which I like VERY much! Very Happy

Good call on ignoring my advice for the double length nacelles. I think that they would have looked "eh" as you said. This nacelle length is perfect in my opinion. WELL done!

Last edited by Dino27 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:17 pm
@Dino: Thank you! Glad it's better. I see what you mean with the engineering hull. I'll try to fix that ASAP. Thanks for the suggestions! Very Happy
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum