Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

Longsword Class Carrier

on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:10 pm
~ Start Entry ~

The Longsword class carrier was created by Johnnyred as a new addition to the fleet in order to boost air support. The Longsword is equipped with two heavy OMEGA Mass Drivers mounted on the fin stabilizers (Which are there to stabilize the ship when the two cannons fire. They provide quite the kick.)

The Longsword is a hybrid. A cross between carrier and battleship, it provides a larger hanger space for fighters, dropships, mobile suits, shuttles, and light-ships, but it also has a decent bit of fire power to not only defend itself, but provide cover for other ships. With its triple deflector dishes it takes quite a bit of firepower to get through to the hull.

- Specifications -

Length: 530 Meters
Beam: 260 Meters
Height: 170 Meters
Crew: 600
Space Marine Detachment: 100
Dropship Pilots: 15
Shuttlecraft: 5 Danube Class Runabouts
Mobile Suit contingent:
Dropship Contingent:
Fighter Contingent: F-114 Phoenix, F-101 Daggers, F-35 Razerhawks, F-85 Rapiers, F-56 Wildstars
Light Ship Contingent: LL-929 Galaxy Protectors x4, LL-928 Galaxy Explorers x4, Serenity Class Ships x6
Deflector Dish: Upsilon Class Deflector Dish x1, Kappa Class Deflector Dish x2
Armor: 4 Ft. High Density Tenatium, coating of ablative armor
Warp Nacelle: Kappa Class Warp nacelles x4
Average Cruising Speed: Warp 8.0
Maximum Cruising Speed: Warp 9.9
Weapons: OMEGA Class Mass Drivers x2, OMEGA Class Wave Shock Cannons x2, Epsilon Class Mass Drivers x7, Quantum Phaser Emitters x8, Quantum Phaser Bank x2, Pulse Phase Emitters x5, Shock Cannons x8

- Images -

- .Lxf -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys5aawsd42bhsst/Longsword%20Class.lxf?dl=0

~ End Entry ~

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Re: Longsword Class Carrier

on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:27 pm
Hey- about time we really got a carrier on-side! I should really make that one I'm thinking of making... after {Project:Hierarchy}, that is....

Anyway, this is a really awesome design. The SNOT/slanted brick work is superb, as always, and I love the fin-things on the back. However, I do feel that the top hangar is a bit too large in proportion to the rest of the ship. Also, I'm not sure of the merit for having cannons that large on a carrier; space would presumably be at a premium, with all available going towards aircraft storage and maintenance, so there wouldn't really be much room for the amount of ammo required (especially for guns that sized).

Good ship overall, but it has some slight annoyances. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
View user profilehttp://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:24 pm
Along with what Tetra said, usually carriers are heavy on warheads and any projectile weapons are on the lighter, last-ditch point-defense. Of course I'm all for putting cannons on carriers not like I've done that before, but my biggest concern is actually putting the hangars' open ends on the front of the ship. Hit it enough and it takes one high-KT nuke to make that thing go bye-bye...

"Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa." (Long memory, short fuse).
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:51 pm
Wow! First of all, let me say that this is an excellent design. I love your new style compared to the flimsy look of ST-esque ships. First, let me state some of my favorite parts of the ship: the guns. I love those guns, and you certainly convey an intimidating message with those massive turrets. I also like the "wing" mounted cannons; really good look there as well. However, there are some issues that need to be addressed:

As Jace already pointed out, putting an open hangar in front of a ship is pretty much inviting the enemy to take a couple volleys and completely tear both the fighter contingent and the ship itself into pieces. Even a shielding screen seems extremely vulnerable, and even if the ship itself takes no direct hits, the absence of the shield will expose anyone and anything inside the hangar bay to the vacuum of space.

I actually like the big guns mounted onboard, but I feel that this ship should serve more of a direct combat role instead; maybe a battleship first and carrier second or something like that. Feels like it could use a lot more AA (either in the form of missiles, KK's, energy, etc) though, IMO, and the blue dishes on the ventral side (I assume shield generators) need some AA coverage.

Also, if you add some detail on the bottom and top parts of the hangar bay, it would be even more epic, and I already really like the detail on the main strip area.

I really like the fin things, but they seem impractical, especially if it's disconnected and sent careening into the hull. Razz However, I really like them, so keep them. Razz

Please note that I am not trying to attack your ship. I honestly, really, really, like it. These are just suggestions, but either way, this ship is very epic already. I love the color scheme and hull, and as I mentioned earlier, the guns are purely awesome! Very Happy Overall, good job.
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 am
Um... wow... Can't believe I didn't reply to any of these sooner.

@ Mighty - I actually was thinking about modding it to make the upper hanger smaller and the space that was part of the hanger thus becomes an ammo dump so to speak. Also, the reason why it has larger weapons is because its meant to be a battleship-carrier hybrid.

@ Jace - It actually does have blast doors... it just looks cooler with them open. Razz

@ PXR - Danke! Glad you like the design! I actually based the design off of a ship I saw in the SW Clone Wars series. I'll try to find a pic of it somewhere.
Issue 1 - See my reply to Jace. Razz Blast Doors remain closed during combat except for launch sequence (In which Defiants guard the hanger opening.

Issue 2 - As stated before it's supposed to be a hybrid, a cross between the two. AA maybe... I dunno... AA batteries are so small that they're hard to add in.

Issue 3 - Are you talking about INSIDE the hanger or outside?

Issue 4 - Those do serve a purpose. Razz Those are to stabilize the ship when those massive railguns are fired.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:25 pm
That is one good ship, J-red! Love the carrier-look, the guns, and the detail. I don't see much wrong with it, except that the starboard and port aft cannons look like they're too close to the ship. If you look at it from the dorsal pic, it looks as though those cannons, when fired, would actually hit the ship itself!

Also, I think the navigational deflector should be closer to the bow and not so far aft on the ventral. I personally like the look of the hangars being in front, but I think they make the nav deflector go a little too far aft IMO.

Other than those two things, I think you did a great job on this beauty! Great to see you branching out in your style. Wink

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum