Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic

How Would You Rate This Ship?

0 - 0%
4 - 44%
4 - 44%
1 - 11%
0 - 0%

Total Votes: 9
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

SAPIENT CLASS FRIGATE

on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:27 pm
Sapient Class Frigate:
" />

Not the best ship I've ever made, but a ship nonetheless. Razz

The Sapient Class Frigate is the latest vessel from Captain "Scarecrow" Durham's designing yards. Designed for moderate combat, patrol, and exploration, this vessel is an all-purpose one that makes it a must-have for the PCG and its allies.

Information:

Length--230m
Width--140m
Height--65m
Shields--1x Constitution generator, modified to average contemporary standards
Armor--6in. albative
Max. Warp Capability--9.8
Max. Impulse Capability--3.5
Max. Crew Capacity--300
Max. Passenger Capacity--50
Emergency Capacity--400
Weaponry--3x phaser emitter, 3x torpedo tubes (acoustic torpedoes, standard ammunition), 2x phaser turrets, 1x fly-thru starfighter hangar (holds 12 Daybreak Class starfighters)

Now for more pictures:

Bow:
" />

Stern:
" />

Starboard:
" />

Dorsal:
" />

Ventral:
" />

"Blueprint" 1:
" />

"Blueprint" 2:
" />

.LXF
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f9013lrb0q4o7s/Sapient%20Class%20Frigate.lxf?dl=0

This creation is dedicated to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. May He receive all glory. Wink

As always, please give me good constructive criticism. I have been greatly aided when I have taken your criticisms in the past, and thanks to you, gentlemen, at least three of my works have been greatly improved by your advice. Let's keep it up! Very Happy

Phoenix Nunquam Intero.
~Scare~

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profile

Re: SAPIENT CLASS FRIGATE

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:57 am
Well, it's certainly...interesting. Razz I don't really like it much at all, to be honest. xD It has some cool concepts and techniques, but overall it feels really awkward to me, like those parts belong to totally different ships. Sorry, but it's not my favorite. :/

And, worst of all, horror of all horrors, you put your bridge on a pedestal in the center of your dish. Why not paint it red, while you're at it, with signs around it saying, "SHOOT HERE FOR WIN."? xD

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:32 am
I agree with Supe insofar as the overall quality of the ship goes; it's not your best, by any standards. Razz I don't really think it's bad, either, but there are a few issues; I think, mainly, the ship is just out-of-proportion with itself. By this, I mean that you should probably double the length of the warp nacelles and increase the overall size of the hull (though I'm not sure how you'd do that....). The ship's also pretty simple, and thus doesn't look like there's much going on.

Another thing: the ship is really under-armed. Razz Now provided, the ship serves multiple roles, and (at 230 meters) isn't exactly the largest ship in the fleet, but 5 phasers and 3 acoustic torpedoes is just too little. I'd recommend about ten addition phasers, or two and some kind of heavy weapon (like a gauss cannon, hypervoltac cannon, etc.), or 3-4 and a few additional torp tubes/railguns, or something like that. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
View user profilehttp://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:56 am
I actually kind of like it for its simplicity and the basic design. For such a small model I can understand it wouldn't be easy to fit everything you want and still have the model look presentable. Of course this also would mean proportions would be off (not that I really care - it's a Trek-style ship, woo) to try to keep the model balanced; however, I agree that the bridge being right in the center of the disk, on the very top, is basically asking to have your command crew obliterated within a few seconds.

On a final note: it's all cute 'n' tiny! Razz

"Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa." (Long memory, short fuse).
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:40 pm
I realized I should probably be more specific about what I don't like-- I agree with Mighty, it does look out of proportion with itself. Furthermore, I just really, really, REALLY dislike those downward-sloping nacelles. Maybe it's a taste thing, don't take this the wrong way, but those just look awful to me. Razz

After sitting for a few minutes and thinking about it, there might be ways to make the down-sloped nacelles work, but I don't think they'll do with this ship. The elongated saucer gives the ship a very forward-oriented, more aggressive look, which COMPLETELY clashes with the sideways double-stop nacelle pylons. It's too very contradicting aesthetics, which I think is why I find it so ugly. xD

Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:17 pm
Contrary to Supe and Tetra, I actually really like the design of the ship. It seems simple yet conveys a very nice look, which I really like. The main thing I dislike about the design is the underside; it seems too plain. I suggest using some profiling bricks or SNOT pieces to add some more detail to the ventral areas. While I agree with the others than the bridge is exposed, considering that pretty much all Fed-style ships have an overall feeling of weakness, brittleness, and fragility IMO, I don't really think that it's such an issue. It seems that all ST-style ships have exposed bridges, fragile-looking nacelle pylons and neck connectors, so it doesn't matter much to me.

Overall, a very well-designed ship, and with some improvements on the underside, this could turn out very cool indeed! Very Happy

On another note, how did you do those effects? Is it GIMP? Or Photoshop?
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:43 pm
I personally really like the design, but I think that it needs some work.

The following is just my opinion.

The underside of the saucer needs more depth to it in my opinion.

The entire underside needs more detail. Grille pieces, depth, ANYTHING.

The ship is under-armed. I would add another rear torpedo launcher, at least two more phasers, and I would strongly consider adding a "big" fore weapon of some sort.

The engineering hull is too short and narrow. I suggest lengthening it by about 3-5 studs, and widening it by 2 studs.

The underside of the engineering hull is too thin. I advise making it at least 1 plate thicker.

I personally like the nacelles, however, they are too big from top to bottom, and too short from front to back, for this sized ship.

Modern bussard collectors are supposed to be red/trans red. I advise doing this with this ship.

The phasers seem to be an odd color to me. I suggest making them dark bluish gray, or black.

Overall, I think that you have a ship with a LOT of potential, but I think that it needs some considerable work to get there. Smile Everything I have not criticized, I love. The SNOT design, color scheme, and overall appearance are quite appealing to me. Smile I can clearly see the Miranda/Excelsior inspiration here. Very Happy

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:45 pm
Thank you, gentlemen, for your criticisms. Wink I can see that this is hardly my most loved work. Razz In all probability I will probably scrap the entire ship but keep the Miranda/Excelsior combination idea, and see if I can make something a bit better. Something like this demands more size, as you say. Smile

@PXR: Yep, those special effects are GIMP. Pretty simple and kind of out-of-place, IMO, but they're special effects. Very Happy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:01 pm
@Scare: Ok. This will be kinda off-topic, but I have a question, did you ever get a "not responding" for GIMP while opening it? Because my GIMP can't get past fonts and freezes there. Also, how did you do those; they are not at all out of place, but IMO, absolutely epic! But seriously, my GIMP won't even open! Did you get the same error message or something similar?
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 pm
It looks like a fun little ship to build Frankenships out of! Very Happy I hope that's a compliment....

Er, it looks like the type of ship that is small and easily upgraded! Well, maybe not all that easy, since it has a lot of curved pieces which can be a little hard to work with.

I think it's nice. Smile
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:35 pm
@PXR: Yeah, I have had GIMP do a mini-crash on me before when it came to fonts, but that was shortly after I installed a handful of BIONICLE fonts on my computer, and after the first mini-crash I don't think I had anymore problems. As to why it won't open, I have no clue. Sad  Maybe you could talk to Kojan or Dino about it? They've got far more tech knowledge than I do. Wink

As to where the special effects are, they're actually a modification of the simple paintbrush tool. When you open GIMP, the paintbrush tool should be automatically engaged. The right-hand tool panel should automatically have the paintbrush tool options opened. In these options, go to the Brush option and choose the Circle Fuzzy 19 brush (largest hazy circle listed). Next, go to Mode and choose either Hard Light or Soft Light, depending on what kind of lighting you desire. It takes a little practice, and you may have to alter the scale of the brush to fit the pic, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great little way to spice up your pictures. Wink

@Talmid: LOL, I know it's not the best, but thanks for your comments. Wink

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:54 pm
@Scare: Ok, thanks for the GIMP tips! I'll have to try that after GIMP stops crashing my fonts. Razz
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:59 pm
LOL, okay, and remember to consult Kojan or Dino if GIMP refuses to cooperate. Wink

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:48 am
Hey, don't look at me for technical advice! Razz Scare knows more than I do about GIMP. Razz I MIGHT know a LITTLE more about SOME technical stuff... but not much about much. Razz Kojan is the guy to talk to for technological assistance. I just defuse situations, I let Kojan worry about making everything involving a computer awesome. Razz  (Which he does.)

I do have three tips though.

1: Ask Kojan.
2: Ask Google.
3: If suggestions 1 and 2 fail, try using any combination of a large hammer, a very high window, a busy highway, a lake, TNT, and train tracks, liberally on your computer. The program won't be crashing anymore after that! Razz

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:31 pm
Dino wrote:3: If suggestions 1 and 2 fail, try using any combination of a large hammer, a very high window, a busy highway, a lake, TNT, and train tracks, liberally on your computer. The program won't be crashing anymore after that! Razz

Yes, but your actual computer will. Razz

Seriously, though, you may want to just uninstall and reinstall, if that's possible in your situation. It's a pain, but it works when there's nothing else to do (well, most of the time, anyway). Razz I'd recommend trying to find GIMP technical support forums, as chances are someone will have already posted the isuue, and the people there will be more likely to be able to help you anyway. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:11 pm
@Dino: Ok, thanks. I'll ask Kojan as a last resort. I've tried Google, with no remedy. As for 3, I wish you could give me advice like that for my homework. Razz

@Tetra: Ok, I might try that; it'll be a pain. Razz I've been on the GIMP forums, but I've seen no results.

Thanks for the suggestions though! Very Happy
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:20 pm
I cannot condone use of my third suggestion for homework... but I will not suggest you avoid it either... Twisted Evil

Dino27

cheers
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum