Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic

How Good Is This Vessel?

3 - 60%
1 - 20%
1 - 20%
0 - 0%
0 - 0%

Total Votes: 5
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

PSS Theophilus

on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:33 pm

EDITED TO INCLUDE .LXF FILE.

Data:
Length – 220m
Width – 120m
Height – 47m
Maximum Crew Capacity – 75 officers and crew
Maximum Emergency Capacity – 200
Maximum Warp Speed – 9.25
Maximum Impulse Speed – 3.25
Weapons – 2x phaser cannons, 2x phaser emitters, 2x torpedo tubes, 1x torpedo bay, 2x wing-mounted phased plasma cannons
Shielding – Entrepreneur-class generator (manufactured by Daragon, Inc., especially for small, personal vessels; exceptionally strong for a generator of its size, and up-to-date in regeneration technology)
Armor – 6 in. unknown alloy
Special features – cloaking device which allows the vessel limited firing capabilities during cloaked status; extremely agile in space; competent atmospheric flier when necessary; stocked with a generous supply of various torpedoes (acoustic, photon, and quantum); complete with two lounges (one for the crew and one for diplomats), two holodecks, and 5 spacious guest quarters

This ship is the personal ship of Captain “Scarecrow” Durham. While Scarecrow has the Patriarch, the Liberty, and the Steadfast as his alternating flagships, the Theophilus is his personal and yet little-celebrated favorite. Its small size, extreme maneuverability and agility, and cloaking device make it ideal for secret missions; and its diplomat lounge and guest quarters have made it an excellent ship on which to host diplomatic meetings between the representatives of the PCG and the representatives of other galactic powers. The Theophilus has also been occasionally used for exploration when Captain Scarecrow is in an adventurous mood.

Originally named the Stormcloud, the Theophilus was re-christened by the Captain when he made some minor revisions to the vessel. Its name—Theophilus—means “one who loves God,” and is a fitting representation of the Captain’s faith.

Pics:

Spoiler:
" />

Bow:
" />

Stern:
" />

Port Side:
" />

Ventral:
" />

Dorsal:
" />

"Blueprint" 1:
" />

"Blueprint" 2:
" />

.LXF File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kam0yvo8o34436u/PSS%20Theophilus.lxf?dl=0

Remember, good fellows, assault me with all the constructive criticism that is reasonable. The former vessel—the Stormcloud—met with much success, and I trust that the minor revisions I’ve made won’t detract from the vessel so much that the opinions go too far downhill. Razz  But I could be wrong, so let me know what you think.

This ship is dedicated to God, for the love of Whom this ship has been re-christened. Wink

Phoenix Nunquam Intero.
~Scare~

Last edited by Scarecrow on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

Re: PSS Theophilus

on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:40 pm
Nice! I like it a lot! It's small and looks fast.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 pm
Thank'ee, Talmid! Glad you like her.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:55 pm
I joined too late to get a say in on the original Stormcloud, so I'm glad you gave me a second chance to see and even more awesome iteration. Razz

I absolutely ADORE the ship! The design is simply beautiful. The only issue I have with it is that the crew compliment is a tad low. Razz Seriously, everything else is about as perfect as I could reasonably imagine so, Great job!

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:58 pm
This is a decent refit. Simple, yet elegant. It is strange, though: from some angels, it looks insect-like, but from others it looks straight-up angelic. Well done! Smile
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:36 pm
@MM:
Well, I guess it's a good thing I re-uploaded it, then! Razz Glad you like it. I based the crew capacities off of a comparison with the Excelsior Class. The Excelsior--a ship which is at least four times larger than the Theophilus--holds a officer-crew count of 450 and a mass-evacuation limit of 9800. Since I built a pretty much Perfect Grade Excelsior, I imported that Excelsior into the Theophilus .lxf and did a little rough estimating. Hence the small crew count and evacuation limit. Razz And you must keep in mind that the Theophilus doesn't have the same engine design as other ST ships: its engines are not hoisted away from the ship by nacelle pylons, but rather are actually in the ship itself, with the ends protruding out of the stern. Therefore, some of the room that would in other ships be used for crew or passengers is instead used for engine housing. Not to mention a shield generator and a cloaking device. Razz

@Kojan:
Thanks! I like to make my ships a bit on the bizarre side--so long as they don't look ugly or ill-balanced. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 pm
This is interedting... I like it... a lot... a lot a lot.
I have yet to download the lxf, but this is one cool, and zippy little ship! Well done, Scare!

The crew compliment seems very reasonable for a ship this size, especially since a LOT of its length is made up of the thin and narrow forward... pincer.... pieces... Razz and what's left contains a lot of internally housed tech. That said:
1 it seems a bit underarmed. Unless this isn't a combat ship of course. But I think it would benefit from more/better placed phaser emitters. I also dislike that the phaser cannons do not have a clear, directly foward facing, line of fire.

2: It sees to be a little heavy on the entertainment. 2 lounges and 2 holodecks seems a bit much for just 75 people. And it wouldn't be that great of a diplomatic ship as it is just too small for that role in my opinion, so luxurious guest quarters just seem like they may be... better used on a bigger ship, such as the Liberty.

That said, this is an excellent little ship for flying around on space adventures. It clearly has some alien design influence, perhaps a little Species 8472, Undine, inspiration? I'd love to hear an in-universe explanation for this unique ship's design background. Smile

Overall, great ship!

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm
@Dino:

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, I suppose you're right about the diplomacy and entertainment issues...I'll have to go back and tweak that. As to the phasers, well, I personally am satisfied with where the cannons are currently at, but thank'ee for your opinion just the same Wink

Regarding the amount of weaponry, well, I don't consider this a warship, so I think it's reasonable. Especially since this ship is so fast and cloaked: combat just isn't what she's built for. Razz However, she can hold her own...I think. Razz

As to the design, it was purely coincidental. One day I was messing around with some various pieces trying to figure out how to make my split-saucer style a bit more spiffy, and then lo and behold, I found those pincer pieces. Razz It reminds me of a stag beetle. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm
She's your ship, and she's not so much of a warship as she is a mega Captain's yacht. Razz She doesn't NEED to be too heavily armed, but firepower is always appreciated. Razz 

I like this design... and it DOES look like a Stag Beetle! That's cool. 

I do have another suggestion. I would add about another plate in depth to the dorsal hull, from behind the slide shoe round 2x2 back to the rear end of the "wings;" as the design feels a little thin for it's length, which is mostly due to those pincer pieces. (Which are not bad, the rest of the ship just needs to be balanced around them, and, other than thickness, I think it already is.) 

Again, excellent job, Scare!

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:21 pm
Thanks for the tip! Doesn't seem too unreasonable...I'll add that and see what I think. Wink

Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:47 pm
As to firepower, the amount you give it should be balanced between roleplaying needs and storyline plot effects. If it's more intended to go into a roleplaying environment, deck it out with enough firepower to vaporize a couple dozen Borg Spectres. Whereas for the other, give it the bare basics, so as to give your enemies a chance to fight back and thus make it more dramatic, or at least minimize the danger of Worf Effect completely crippling your ability to fight.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 pm
Feels like a shark with a little bit of stingray thrown in.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:25 pm
It does kind of look like that, now that you mention it. Wink

Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 am
Maybe ship of the class can be called Mako Shark!  Stingray and Shark were two names for the C3 generation Corvette, which had styling based on GM's Mako Shark II concept.  It's a beautiful work of art, like the Theopilus.
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum