Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

AEC (Accelerated Electron Collision) Discussion

on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:10 pm
Well, after the formation of this topic area and Tetra's massive tech post, I became semi-motivated to type this up. It details the AEC here: http://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/t623-aec-accelerated-electron-collision#6751

I would highly encourage some criticisms as the entire thing is kind of a lot of made up technobabble that doesn't make any sense at all.

However, I would like to make it work, so any suggestions are welcome. I probably said that twenty billion times, so yeahhh....you get the idea. Razz

Oh, and by the way, I would like to point out that all this is completely original. I did not copy another person's concept and adapt it here (except coilguns obviously). That is also why all the technobabble probably makes no sense whatsoever. xD
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Re: AEC (Accelerated Electron Collision) Discussion

on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:35 pm
Oh, you thought that post had technobabble? My friend, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium
View user profile

on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 pm
Well, it definitely sounds cool. Realistically, however, I do have a couple points to, uh, well, point out. Very Happy Keep in mind, though, that I'm by no means an expert in quantum physics, so everything I say may not be completely accurate. Of course, this being science fiction, these "realistic" points may not really matter that much anyway. Razz

Firstly, in quantum mechanics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that at any given instant in time, one can precisely measure the location of an electron OR precisely measure the speed of an electron, but never both position and speed at the same time. So, the nanobots you described may be able to pinpoint an electron's position to any accuracy level they would like, but the electron would only be in that position for an instant in time before it moved off. Therefore, it's not really possible for a nanobot to be able to grab an electron and move to a new position.

Secondly, if a nanobot was able to manipulate an electron into one of those electron-neutron bundles you described, the electron would have to remain in the same fixed position in space at a speed of zero. This would be a violation of the uncertainty principle, because you would know the exact position of the electron and it's exact speed (zero) at the same time.

Thirdly, if a single "projectile" was able to be manufactured, and it was able to create an anti-matter explosion on impact with the target, that release of energy would be enough to level a small city. Not exactly good for tank-tank combat because everything within the area would be, quite literally, toast. Razz

However, this is sci-fi, like I've said, so you could just say that PXE has licked the uncertainty principle and put the thing into production anyway. Very Happy I would, however, suggest that you change it's function from tank turret to extremely heavy long-range artillery. That way, the operators of the weapon have much less chance of being accidentally vaporized by their own projectile. Razz

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:45 pm
OK, firstly, I have to agree with what spud said about the HUP; ST does have a Heisenberg nullifier or something like that (another "deus ex machina" thing, as Supe would put it), but that only really works with replicators, where the target is stationary. It is thus safe to assume that using them for particles is impractical. Secondly, I doubt the neutrons could keep the electrons in place, both for the already-stated reasons with the HUP, and that, unlike protons, they are significantly smaller (on the order of hundreths or thousandths of the size, IDR). They also are effected by the whole "duality of nature" thing, which I don't think protons are (though, again, IDR). Thirdly, I still don't understand how the collision between a bunch of neutrons and electrons would create both positrons and antiprotons; even if the collision did produce antiparticles (which I doubt), they would be entirely positrons- and those just collide with random electrons floating around, mainly. At the most, all that would accomplish is create some very small, pretty lights near the enemy's hull and slightly ionize his armor (not even noticeably, at that Razz).

Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium
View user profile

on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:40 pm
Tetra: Yeah, those are all good points.

PXR: If you wanted to, you change this weapon so that it does not emit neutron-electron bundles, but only electrons instead. Within the realm of science fiction "physics," it could be a sort of electro-shock cannon that fries the targeted vehicle and anything inside. Not like a SW ion cannon, which just shorts out the electronics of the target without harming anything non-electronic (i.e., people). Basically, a big honkin' lightning gun. Razz

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:45 pm
Hey, so it would be a space tesla coil! Just like I noted when you first mentioned the tech! Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:48 pm
My mind is better at getting people to stop fighting than figuring out how particles interact to form theoretical new weapons not based on any in-universe canon tech. 

So.... that sounds cool. 

And I'm glad that you people have a clue what you're talking about... because I don't. Razz

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum