Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
View user profilehttp://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Something I Should Have Done

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:50 am
So, in my ever-persistent boredom drive to improve the designs for the Marines even if the models were made by Arik, I came up with an idea that really should have struck me the moment I finished the CV-79 Squad Combat Vehicle:
CV-83B Stalwart AAV:
I stuck the SCV's turret on the Stalwart. It meant I have to modify the roof of the vehicle from Arik's three-mount modular "turret" system covered by a pair of heavy doors (which was pretty cool, I have to admit) and replaced it with a single-mount combat turret on an armored platform. In addition to this I added in the crew from the SCV along with its turret. Luckily there was plenty of space for them:
Crew:
So while this only carries about twice as many troops, it A) looks much cooler, B) cuts the number of necessary ground transport vehicles in half, C) means that all of the GT-83A Stalwarts can simply be retrofitted with the turret and extra systems rather than having to replace all of the originals, and D) means the SCV can be used as a designated Special Forces vehicle. However, it does make structure a bit interesting, since there would be '83B Stalwarts with Squads from two different Platoons on board. The excuse for this is that it "promotes inter-unit cohesion on the field of battle," and means that a trio of MUVs or a single SCV doesn't have to convoy with an '83B Stalwart. Also, since the SCV and the '83B are roughly the same size, this frees up a lot of needed space on board assault ships.

"Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa." (Long memory, short fuse).
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Re: Something I Should Have Done

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:49 am
Woo, looks very cool! Very nice rugged look, and looks like it actually has a sane amount of missiles this time. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 am
*glares at your constant nit-picking about "balance" or "sane armaments.*

I have to say that the turret does fit on this really well, despite it being my inferior brick-on-brick-with-some-SNOT type of design compared to Arik's, well, clearly superior SNOT-work-everywhere design.

But yeah I'm pretty happy with it. Now I just gotta add more missiles. Razz

Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:29 pm
Ooh, I like it! 'Bout time someone slapped a nice big gun on there. Razz

Well, my only critique- needs to be bigger. Razz MOAR FIREPOWAH! Maybe make it a little wider, and the gun longer, so it looks more powerful. Razz And don't worry about having removed the top "doors". They were kinda pointless anyway, really.

Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:31 pm
The reason I didn't do that is because if you look at most other APCs/IFVs is that their cannons/turrets aren't all that big. In fact they're usually auto-cannons rarely bigger than I think 30mm (at least that's what I've discovered). So having a 90mm cannon is impressive, and I'm actually considering making it a pair of smaller auto-cannons rather than the anti-tank cannon.

As for the width, part of that is to fit the design better - if I made the turret wider, I'd want to make the base for that turret wider, and I didn't want to mess with the Stalwart's greebling even more than I did already.

This was not meant to be a tank with troops. It's a troop carrier that can defend itself and support the guys riding inside of it.

High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:14 pm
The original crawler was awesome enough, but this adds a whole new level of awesome to it. Well done! Very Happy
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:17 am
Looks good to me!
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:38 pm
I think Kojan summed it up pretty well. AwEsOmE+ awesome = AWESOME.  

Please forgive my rather dull comments today, I'm getting over a stomach bug and am a bit tired. 

This is REALLY cool! I would expect however, that hitting low to the ground targets (EG, most tanks) at close range with that big gun, THAT high off of the ground, would be quite a trick. 

At any rate, this is still awesome. 

And while I disagree to some extend with Mighty when it comes to "balance,"  do feel that any vehicle stills needs to be able to move, carry ammo, and protect itself and the crew. So long as the armament is not too much of a hindrance to any of these things... the idea in a war is to win., so more guns and missiles is good. Razz

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:47 pm
Dino: This isn't made to get anywhere close to tanks or anything more than a light Mech. It's an infantry transport and support vehicle, really just a supplement to the weapons units (MG, assault/missile, mortar) already deployed with the infantry. If there are enemy tanks around, then there's going to at least be some Recon armored vehicles if not Raider or Ranger tanks. The reason for the heavy-ish armament is so it's actually good at its job in case more effective units are unable to reinforce whatever troops are in that area of the battlefield.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 pm
Very nice! The gun fits very well on the Stalwart. Looks very fitting on that vehicle. Great job! Very Happy
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:31 pm
Downright epicsauce. Wink

I think this is one of the best (if not the best) tank I've seen in the PCG Universe. Well done!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:39 pm
^^^ ANd it's not even a tank. Razz It's an APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) turned IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle)

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 pm
Scarecrow wrote:Downright epicsauce. Wink

I think this is one of the best (if not the best) tank I've seen in the PCG Universe. Well done!
Dino27 wrote:^^^ ANd it's not even a tank. Razz It's an APC (Armored Personnel Carrier) turned IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle)

What Dino said. This isn't a combat tank - heck if it even encountered another tank it'd get skewered. This thing stands up to shoulder-fired weapons and nothing much else. The turret is to make up for the original Stalwart's lack of standard armament, which left the infantry troops climbing out vulnerable to enemy fire since there wasn't any threat. Now there is - hence the designation change from GT (ground transport) to CV (combat vehicle).

*sighs* I've gotta get around to updating that database of mine...
EDIT: Just did, save for my new fighter, since A) I need a name for it and B) I still haven't decided why I made it other than wanting to try a SNOT-based minifig-scale design and chose a fighter to do it.

Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm
Oops... Razz My mistake as to its identity. Embarassed Regardless, this thing looks deadly. Wink

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 am
Scarecrow wrote:Oops... Razz  My mistake as to its identity. Embarassed  Regardless, this thing looks deadly. Wink

Just 'cause it's not a tank, doesn't mean it's not highly lethal.

Also, general thing, I'm working on something I'm calling Project: Deferat. I'll tell you guys this much: it's by far the largest model I've ever made, but it's one of the smallest ships you'll ever see used in the Navy. Have fun guessing what it is, if you decide to do so. Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum