Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New RDC WIP

+3
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Tetrahedron
Lord Commandant Jace
7 posters
Go down
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

New RDC WIP Empty New RDC WIP

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:39 pm
RDC WIP:

So, I've decided that while I'm trying not to toss my 'puter out the window working on that shuttle, I'd work on the RDC. I remember people had a lot to say about it so I'm taking that to heart, along with some things I just wanted to do myself. I've already meddled with the tail, and the deck (as you can see), as well as added a pair of unseen coffee dispensers. Next up with be a pair of side blast doors that double as ramps when the RDC skims the ground to deploy its troops. After that will be some helicopter gunship-style weaponry wings/mounts and that'll do it for this little guy...

...And then it's back to the behemoth that is the Deferat-class...
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

New RDC WIP Empty Re: New RDC WIP

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:46 pm
I don't recall if I commented on the last one (though I *know* I saw it), but this one is quite good! My only criticism in this early stage is the lack of blast doors, which you're already working on.

Looking forward to it. Razz
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:59 pm
Well, your awesome little gunship/dropship is back, eh? I always loved this one. The tail fins are a nice touch, very creative attachment style.
My only criticism so far is realism: two coffee dispensers for a full squad of troops? Hardly seems plausible. (...Razz)
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:05 pm
Tetra: Yeah, blast doors are really the trick here, since I want them to double as ramps, too. I can get the mechanic down, it's just a matter of getting a nice, sleek/stealthy look...

Arik: Here's the thing though: all of the commandos have canteens. Razz Besides, the Deferat shuttle has a dispenser for each man in the cockpit, and I'm going to have a wall of them at the front of the cargo bay - which, after removing the drop pods and MUVs, I have discovered is huuuuuuuggeeee. Razz Quite possible enough to carry two 42-man Platoons. I think I've found a replacement for the Alby, my friend. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:40 pm
This is NICE! It needs the blast doors. I also think that it could benefit from a couple of door guns. Other than that, this looks pretty awesome! Very Happy
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 pm
Dino: As I said, I will be adding the blast doors. Along with wing-mounted weapons reminiscent of the Apache and/or Cobra helicopter gunships. Twisted Evil My commandos are stealthy, but they also know when stealth is not the right tool for the job, and overwhelming force is.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:50 am
As I said "the blast doors..." hence I knew that they were forthcoming. Smile 

As to the overwhelming force attack helicopter wing mounted weapons...  New RDC WIP 1250755331 New RDC WIP 1592703793   New RDC WIP 3327345095
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 pm
BLAST DOORS AND MORE WEAPONS!
RDC:
Doors have bottom hinges and hydraulics (well, the hydraulics aren't in the model...), and the increased armament includes a pair of warhead launcher racks/pods (the model has four, but I'm debating saying it fires more - a Cobra's has nineteen each, I think), and a pair of auto-cannons of a caliber that is to-be-determined.

Let me guys know what you think!
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:44 pm
Two criticisms, right off the bat: the main body is too boxy and the wings are too stubby/thin; both of these will need to be rectified ASAP.

Also, is this a direct-assault or infiltration craft? I don't remember if/when you mentioned; the reason I ask is that adding additional missiles/weapons doesn't make sense (and, yes, would be somewhat OP) if it's the former, but probably justifiable with the latter. Of course, for both scenarios, the actual balance decision depends on the firepower and such missiles and guns, plus a few other factors that I'm too lazy to think of ATM (Yeah, balance gets complicated.... Razz).

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:00 pm
I'm really liking this model; it's certainly come a long way from the first rendition. It's got a great design, and looks to be very functional. The wings could be a tad larger, with the new weapons (which look great) taking up space, and I would try to use some slope pieces on the bottom to round it off a bit (doing so would also give you a good platform to put landing gear on). Those aesthetic issues aside, I think this is a fantastic craft!
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:34 pm
Tetrahedron wrote:Two criticisms, right off the bat: the main body is too boxy and the wings are too stubby/thin; both of these will need to be rectified ASAP.

Also, is this a direct-assault or infiltration craft? I don't remember if/when you mentioned; the reason I ask is that adding additional missiles/weapons doesn't make sense (and, yes, would be somewhat OP) if it's the former, but probably justifiable with the latter. Of course, for both scenarios, the actual balance decision depends on the firepower and such missiles and guns, plus a few other factors that I'm too lazy to think of ATM (Yeah, balance gets complicated.... Razz).

Yeah, I was planning on messing with the wings anyways. And if I can figure out a way to make the body less boxy, I will.

Now, as for your "balance" thing, I'm quite sure we've been over this, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop bringing it up all the time. I might point out that the Cobra and Apache carry far more firepower than the RDC does in this image. So even if it was a direct attack craft, which it isn't, if anything it'd be under-powered.

Maxwell Augustus Damirius wrote:I'm really liking this model; it's certainly come a long way from the first rendition. It's got a great design, and looks to be very functional. The wings could be a tad larger, with the new weapons (which look great) taking up space, and I would try to use some slope pieces on the bottom to round it off a bit (doing so would also give you a good platform to put landing gear on). Those aesthetic issues aside, I think this is a fantastic craft!

Yeah, once I got the birds and guns on I realized that larger wings would be a prudent thing to have. So I'll see about that at least. My issue with the landing gear is that A) it's a nightmare to add in and B) technically the doors only have a 90-degree rotation, so they can't (in the model, at least) lower past the level of the troop bay's deck. I'm still working on a fix for that, though. I might make the doors like the Halo Phantom, who knows.

EDIT:

So, not a lot of changes here, mainly the cockpit setup:
New Cockpit:
You'll also (hopefully) notice that I have roof/angled bricks on the bottom to avoid it being too boxy. I'm working on figuring out additional weaponry, and a new turret - Tetra can attest that building a new turret for this thing is a nightmare. Razz But I now have a pilot and a gunner, without overly impeding on the troop bay (actually I don't think it intrudes in there much at all). Credit to Arik's Firefly gunship - I used its cockpit to figure out the gunner's area. Granted he's buried in there, but there'll be a camera on the chin gun, and really good sensors for all the weapons.

Next up: larger wings, more weapons, maybe streamline this a bit more.

Last edited by Lord Commandant Jace on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:09 pm
Lookin' good, indeed! I like the new gunner seat- although, considering he won't be able to see anything out of that seat anyway, perhaps you should consider just removing the window thing with a solid door or something? Seriously, though, the only thing really left to do is increase the wingspan, and you're mostly done. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:57 pm
Tetrahedron wrote:Lookin' good, indeed! I like the new gunner seat- although, considering he won't be able to see anything out of that seat anyway, perhaps you should consider just removing the window thing with a solid door or something? Seriously, though, the only thing really left to do is increase the wingspan, and you're mostly done. Razz

I'm debating doing that, but at the same time a "window" can still be quite solid. And who wants to sit in a cramped seat in the dark with lights everywhere? Razz Sure, the troops are in the back - but they can more around, jostle, sit, stand, drink coffee, eat pizza, anything they want with the standard lights inside. Razz

EDIT:

Fixed the wings!
WINGS:
It still needs weapons, but I'm also thinking that it needs larger engines, or maybe additional ones on the top of the main body.
I have to say I'm happy with how far along this has come, but also pondering if this is a whole new design now...

Last edited by Lord Commandant Jace on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:09 pm
Oh...my...erm...

...well, y'see... now that the proper-sized wings are actually on... they look too high. I dunno, maybe it's me, but the wings just seem to be attached to high to the body...which is problematic, since the only place you could attach them to is the doors. Razz Maybe try having them slant downwards? IDK....
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:35 pm
Tetrahedron wrote:Oh...my...erm...

...well, y'see... now that the proper-sized wings are actually on... they look too high. I dunno, maybe it's me, but the wings just seem to be attached to high to the body...which is problematic, since the only place you could attach them to is the doors. Razz Maybe try having them slant downwards? IDK....

That was my fear as well, yeah. And I can't slant them down, because that's where the vertol engines are...

Hmm...well, this was meant to be more of a V-22 Osprey/Halo Falcon, anyway...

EDIT:

So, uh...
...:
I'm not sure if I consider this a joke that resulted from trial-and-error, with a dash of boredom, or if this is something I consider...potential for the final product...

Last edited by Lord Commandant Jace on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:05 pm
I think there's a lot of potential there, but it could use some tweaking. First of all, consider making the whole cockpit section a little bit longer, to give you room to move the second pilot up and into that window space, while lengthening that window to make it a smoother transition to the big back area. With a troop transport like this, there isn't much you can do about the boxiness without making the whole thing wider and some serious angling (I consider the Republic Gunship one of the best troop transports I've seen). The wings look better for sure, but I'm thinking they should be a little longer and have some structural stuff on both sides instead of the smooth look it has now, which should help give them some bulk and make them look sufficient for carrying so much weight. To help with that you could also consider putting some nice solid guns on the wingtips, and redoing that front cannon to something a little more intimidating, partly to balance out the large engines and partly to give you some more options to "clear the deck," which you can't always do with missiles.

Idk, just some thoughts, but it's coming along nicely!
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:52 pm
I think I'm going to leave the cockpit area as-is (mainly 'cause it was such a pain to get like that in the first place), and also because the second seat is for the gunner - they don't really need to see the outside world as much as I just thought they'd appreciate some starlight flying around and shooting at things.
I'll work on the wings - really this was just a "Hey, this looks kind of interesting!" not a "Hey here's what I've got!" sort of thing. Like I said, more of a mix of boredom and trial-and-error than proper engineering.
The front/chin gun is just a placeholder until I figure out something else, I assure you, but as for the wingtips, those are technically where this gets its VTOL capabilities - those are tilting thrust engines. Not that I need them at all whatsoever, with counter-grav/repulsorlift technology, but I like having them. I'll consider it, though.

Also, this is the last week of school for the calendar year for me, so it's gonna be busy - don't expect any updates until the end of the week, maybe as late as the weekend itself.
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:25 pm
So, here's a lil' thing I tried out since I had to stay home sick...
Spoiler:
Still trying to figure out the actual cannon, but everything else about the chin gun makes me happy.

Still need the structural stuff on the wings, maybe add the wingtip cannons, and then get back to work on sorting out the shuttle.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:35 pm
Is it just me, or did you extend the craft? either way, it looks really good from that angle. The turret seems functional enough, but maybe that's just me. Razz Either way, looking good!
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 pm
I think it's just the angle, or have you not seen the new two-person cockpit yet? I still feel like the barrels need to be longer, but I'll sort that out later. For now I'm pretty happy with it. Almost ready to move this from my WIP folder. Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 pm
No, I've seen the two-person cockpit layout; not sure why, but it always seemed shorter. Must be the angle. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:58 pm
This is VERY niiiiice. Now I feel like doing an attack landing craft...
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:58 pm
So do I! xD I have my work cut out for me with the designs I have now, though. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:25 am
I'm calling this guy done, now: thoughts?
AT-62B RDC Mk. II:

Also, is this close enough to the original to be considered a type of refit, or should I just give this thing a new name entirely?
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:29 am
I think it's great! A very cool finished product. As for the name, I'd just call it a Mk II instead of making up a whole new name. Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum