Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

Iwo Jima Class Destroyer

on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:16 pm
Well, I hope you guys like this. I tried to refit the Mariana Frigate to fit your constructive criticism, and somewhere in there I lost my head and wound up with quite a different ship. Razz  So call this a revamp, if you like. It's definitely too big to be a frigate now...let's call it a destroyer.

Exact data and specifications I will get into later, when/if you guys give me the green light on this model. As always, don't hold out on constructive criticism. Wink

This ship is dedicated to Jesus Christ, in honor of Whom this season was named. Wink

PICS:

Spoiler:
" />

Bow:
" />

Stern:
" />

Starboard:
" />

Dorsal:
" />

.LXF
Spoiler:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gz4mobrd3t58za/Mariana%20Class%20Frigate%2C%20Revamped.lxf?dl=0

Phoenix Nunquam Intero.
~Scare~

Last edited by Scarecrow on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
View user profilehttp://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Re: Iwo Jima Class Destroyer

on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:38 pm
Literal immediate reaction: WHOAAA!
Literal continued reaction: Wow! Okay, um, yes!

Seriously, I love this ship. It kind of resembles the idea of a Star Trek disk-shaped ship, but has the heavy bulk of an actual warship. You can see the variety of quantity of the weapons - and turrets! - of the design.

About my only critique would be to make it longer on the long axis (bow-to-stern, or y-axis) or shorter on the vertical axis (dorsal to ventral, or z-axis) as that looks a little too bulky. I also note the lack of anything that looks like a warp nacelle?

"Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa." (Long memory, short fuse).
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 pm
HOLY...!

OK... this one took me by surprise. Razz Well, it's certainly a step up from the frigate, and a big one at that. Razz I like the general concept and design, and it really has that tough, fighting shape. The only criticisms I can muster are an echoing of Jace's, as well as a rename; it's not the Mariana anymore. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:37 pm
This is COOL! I echo Jace and Mighty on the two suggestions (thin or lengthen, and a new name for a new ship.) But I must say, this is COOL!

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:33 pm
Thanks, chaps! Glad she's pleasing overall. As to renaming it, that'll be easy. As to thinning/lengthening, that may not be so easy without scrapping the whole thing and starting over. Razz But I'll see what I can do. Any further points of CC (constructive criticism)?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 am
Yes. Yes I do have a few complaints. 

The replicator on deck 3 took 1/1000th of a second too long in preparing my food, and my dinner was 1/50th of a degree too warm. I suggest you remedy this immediately.

The holodeck did not have 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea pre-programmed in and I had to download it; which took an unacceptable 3 seconds to do. I suggest you expand the holodeck library on this COMBAT SHIP. Seriously, Scarecrow, you need a proper set of holo-novels on a destroyer. 

The chair in my guest quarters had one leg 1/9th of a millimeter shorter than the others. The replicator that made it was clearly malfunctioning. I require my chairs to be absolutely even. I suggest a complete reworking on the replicator that assembled it in case something truly important was made incorrectly. What do you mean "It's an old-Earth antique, and was made by hand"? Oh, in that case it adds charm to the room. Your replicator assembly system may well be within acceptable operating parameters, but I would still have it checked just to be safe. 

The crew in engineering was sloppily dressed. I detected 1 oil-stain, 3 wrinkles, 2 ketchup stains, and 1 smudge. I suggest you advise them of proper dress protocols at once.

Seriously, Scare. This is GREAT! Apart from the thickness (and I have an idea on how to do that, which I will PM you later) I don't believe I would change a thing.

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:28 pm
Once again, it would probably be best to slap on some warp nacelles or something... just saying.. Razz

CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profile

on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:59 am
VERY good ship. Really the only thing I can think of to say is that it could use some bigger guns in places. It really don't need any kind of warp nacelle; not only can those easily be integrated (I really don't understand why Star Trek uses them at all, as they're basically huge, ugly targets for no reason), they would completely ruin the aesthetics of the ship (as every warp nacelle does with every ship ever). Or you could use another mode of FTL, there's nothing saying you can't use a hyperdrive or one of the others that people use.

Overall, I like it a lot!

View user profile

on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 pm
@Dino:

Well, sir, I HAVE noticed that the replicator system hasn't been working too well lately. Why, the other day, I got a cappuccino from it--a cappuccino that I made VERY CLEAR should be exactly 80 Celsius. And HORROR OF HORRORS, within only three seconds of taking it out of the replicator, I was absolutely positive it had dropped to 79.9999995 Celsius! It must be some sort of factory reject that was sold to me unscrupulously. Razz
I shall PM you about the PM you PMed me. Razz

@MM:

I see what you mean, but with a ship like this (and also a tip from Dino that not all ST ships have to have visible nacelles; cf. some Klingon ships), I thought it best to make the engines more Star-Wars-ish. Razz

@Supe:

Glad you like it! I think you're a bit like Ant...intent on huge weapons. Razz I generally like smaller weapons because larger ones, IMO, detract from the smoothness of the vessel. But thanks for the tip! And yeah, I quite agree that nacelles are not always logical-seeming. I have often thought how easy it might be for an enemy vessel to simply concentrate all firepower on one nacelle, causing an explosion that could literally tear the rest of the ship to shreds. But we must assume that ST ships have exceptional shield generators, and that the materials (i.e. armor) that the nacelles are constructed with are made of solid stuff. Razz

CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:56 pm
Or ST writers are as lazy as their physicists. Razz

Neither of those things really hold water, especially in this universe, so I guess right now enemies just conveniently ignore the targets. Or at least, until I ever roleplay an enemy. xD

I'm not intent on huge weapons, per se; I find it strange that everyone uses such small weapons on such powerful ships. I guess ST ships just use a lot of power for their cheat-replicators or cheat-teleporters or some such. Razz I rather think large weapons, to an extent, give ships a good "solid" feel that really makes the ship feel real and battle-ready. If we ever have ship-to-ship combat in space (which we won't, since it makes no sense at all), the cannons will have to be HUGE, to cover the extremely long distances between ships. Actually, scratch that, even if we have ship-to-ship combat in the future, there's no way we'll have cannon-based weapons firing at each other...it'll all be nuclear missiles, which have all of the power and none of the repercussions in space, and the only cannon weaponry will be point-defense systems, MAYBE. And, if starfighers are a thing, anti-starfighter weapons, which will also consist of missiles.

...I don't know how this turned into a rant on the realism of space weaponry but oh well. xD

Faction : MSI
View user profilehttp://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm
Supe: You ought to read a couple novel series I really like, because of the realism of space combat - David Weber's Honor Harrington, and Jack Campbell's The Lost Fleet. They even have light-speed time delays for communications!

"Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa." (Long memory, short fuse).
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:28 pm
Oh, now Supe is becoming PXR... just what I need....

(PXR keeps saying we should all have this hyper-realistic type of space combat and ignore the fi in sci-fi, for those not in the know Razz)

CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:59 pm
PXR isn't hyper-realistic, and neither am I. Hyper-realistically, there will never, EVER be space combat, not to crush any nerd dreams. Believe me, I want it as much as the next guy, but realistically, extra-atmospheric combat, at least any sense that we can imagine, is almost laughable it's so pointless. However, I DO like a bit of realism-- PXR likes his weapons big because space is so unfathomably large, ships will be hundreds of kilometers apart during combat, and thus need long barrels and more powerful munitions to travel those distances. I like my weapons big as well, both because of that and because people tend to underestimate how much power starships produce; these are MASSIVE structures, and therefore require a ton of power-- power that can easily be diverted during battle to use in much larger weapons than are typically used. The main difference between PXR's and my styles is that he tends to build around a "broadside," much like Kojan, with integrated batteries, and I tend to build sleeker ships with a lot of turrets. His guns are bigger because it's easier to put long barrels on broadside batteries than on a turret without making everything lopsided, but I'm working on fixing that, or even moving a little more towards his end of the scale with some more batteries. I don't insist on total realism, but I like to be fairly realistic within the boundaries we've set. Razz

Jace-- I'll look into that. I actually like the one good reason for instantaneous communication that I've found, Ender's ansible. I'm thinking of establishing a more advanced version of that as the main fleet communication device for the ISF.

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:12 pm
Then you probably don't know what I'm talking about; he's scrapping his main cannons entirely for missile-only ships, with a few missiles for point defense, with the idea that the ships will swing by at thousands of kilometers an hour and fire all their missiles, obeying real laws of physics and all that. Razz Also, there's no stealth whatsoever, nor hyperdrives/warp engines, only Alcubierre engines. Razz Yeah, it's based off some random article he read about space combat.... Razz

CEO

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profile

on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:49 pm
Yes, all that makes sense, it's actually a similar philosophy to modern naval combat. Navies rarely clash at all, but when they do, cannons just aren't used anymore. All we have are missiles and aircraft, much like PXR is switching to missiles and (I would guess), starfighters as a backup, along with point-defense like modern miniguns, used to knock out incoming missiles.

A good way to counter EVERYONE moving to that style of combat is just to beef up our point-defense weaponry. At some point you reach a place where it's almost impossible to get missiles through, if you aren't distracting the point-defense weaponry with starfighters or shielding the missiles with cannon fire. This is especially true if you have good flak cannons, or a system like the IFS's RRLSS, which is basically designed for that kind of attack. That way, PXR will still need cannon-based weaponry, in addition to his missile cruisers, which isn't really a deviation from current exo-atmospheric combat, just specializing his ships and changing his tactics up a bit.

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum