Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Clownfish-class frieghter

on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:23 pm
This was the first of hopefully several new freighters, will be refitted into pirate ships for Arik's new RP. Razz It's a bit rushed (For example, the rear pic doesn't show theimpulse engine, because I only added it twenty minutes ago Razz) but workable. Razz

Clownfish freighter:

It’s not enough to simply possess a large fleet; one must also have the spending power to support said large fleet. Although the sales of entertainment, obsolete ships, mining rights, and other sources of income were enough to keep the PCG stable, the costs of war were quickly adding up. In light of this, the decision was made to dedicate some shipyards during peacetime towards the construction of civilian ships to be sold to private entities and corporations. The first of these was the Clownfish-class freighter, which quickly became a workhorse of many merchant fleets. Though relatively low-tech, slow at warp, and lacking the cargo space of larger freighters, it remains in use due to it’s versatility, reliability, and low cost. If a trade company want to quickly buff their fleet of smaller freighters cost-effectively, Clownfishes are almost always the best option.
  Interestingly, in order to prevent less scrupulous buyers from attaining military-grade equipment, the Clownfish ships with many sub-par (but very cheap) systems. Chief among these is the nav deflector; it actually must use a pivot mechanism to properly sustain warp flight, similar to how an Intrepid must pivot it's nacelles. However, the Clownfish's systems are remarkably modular and can be easily refitted to house much better systems, provided the owner can get their hands on them. This has ironically made Clownfishes popular as pirate ships, as they could be modified to possess proper weapons.

Spoiler:

Sorry it's a bit shorter than my usual fare, but I'm kinda rushing and there isn't much to say anyway. Razz

Stats:
-Classification: MF (Freighter)
-Role: Shipping
-Armaments: 9 phasers, 2 torpedo tubes
-Shielding: 9 primary emitters, 11 secondary emitters,
-Armor: .7 inches ablative average; .9 around cargo hold; 1 around bridge areas
-Dimensions:
   -Length: 437 meters
   -Beam: 171 meters
   -Height: 97 meters
-Impulse: impulse rating 7; acceleration rating 6, maneuver rating 13;
-Warp: 2x Leighway Nacelles; MCW: 7.3; MEW: 8.9
-Sensory/Comms: Basic navigational sensors (cheap, easy to maintain)
-Crew: 27 officers, 347 crew
-Strike Craft: Supplied by private owner

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ortcgj7azbqorz4/PCG%20Clownfish%20MF.lxf?dl=0

Comments/criticism/questions/concerns are welcome, as always!

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

Re: Clownfish-class frieghter

on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 pm
Nice! It's got a unique design, though the neck looks a little weak, but that's a virtue of the traditional Federation starship design. The actual build actually seems like a nice compilation of many different styles. It reminds me of all the ways I used to and still do build starships. Very Happy I haven't built any in awhile though.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:00 pm
Awesome ship, MM! You've got a knack for ST-styled ships, to be sure. Wink

I like the SNOT design, as usual (anything with some sort of SNOT has to be duly praised). You also did a good job on balancing detail with smoothness, for the most part. The nacelles are very well done. The overall design is also good (I like ST ships that cut out the "neck" and just join the saucer to the rest of the ship).

I think the only real criticism I have is that the stern picture looks way too squarish. I know from personal experience that it's sometimes difficult to get everything looking smooth as silk (I failed at least once before in making an Excelsior just because I didn't smooth out the stern area), but I feel it's good to point it out just the same. Wink

All in all, very well done!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:08 pm
Talmid- Honestly, I was just trying out something new; glad to hear it turned out so well. Razz And yeah, you should build a new ship!

Scare- Yeah, not a huge fan of the neck joint either; pretty much all my orthodox cruisers eschew them at least partially (provided, that's due in large part to the fact that they're essentially all just remakes of the Admonitor, but still Razz). I agree that the back looks squarish, but LDD's piece selection in this case made that a difficult problem to rectify. TBH, I don't see any real way to change it; and even if there were, just thinking of it would require much more effort than I'm willing to put into a random throwaway freighter. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum