Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space

HyperDyne - Fuel for the Future Empty HyperDyne - Fuel for the Future

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 am
HyperDyne is an enormous megacorporation notable for its near-dominance within the hyperfuel market, though HyperDyne is also a major producer of other products.

HyperDyne - Fuel for the Future Hyperd10

HyperDyne started as a minor hyperfuel manufacturing and shipping corporation within the ICC.
    When the Imperium began its multiple colonization projects, the demand for fuel skyrocketed. Sensing this change, a minor Imperial noble, Lord Vizinias, stepped in and bought the stagnant company. Then, convincing a number of other ICC businesses to invest in the company, he commissioned a large hyperfuel refinery. The gamble was a huge success, and the increase in hyperfuel product shot HyperDyne's sales through the roof. After paying out the other companies who had lended HyperDyne money, he used the company's remaining profits and built a second refinery as well as improving the first.
    By this point, HyperDyne was well on their way to success. Vizinias bought over two dozen other minor fuel corporations, soon establishing a near-monopoly on the hyperfuel market.

The second key point in HyperDyne's road to dominance was the outbreak of the Velonnian Civil War. Instead of remaining with the ICC in their secession from the Imperium, he struck out on his own one of the independent warlords. Using his own world's militia and HyperDyne's resources to form a private military, he declared open war on the Imperium and the other warlords and secessionist factions.
    This was the final step in HyperDyne's ascent towards becoming the corporate superpower it is now. Unlike the other existing fuel corporations, who were careful to pick a side and stay loyal to it in what they thought was an attempt to stay afloat amid the conflict, HyperDyne sold openly to everyone. And, now outside of government regulation, they charged more and more for fuel.
    ...While other locally-aligned companies were able to undercut HyperDyne's exorbitant prices, they were far too small to meet the fuel needs of the conflict's endless naval engagements, and both the Imperium and the other warlords soon found themselves forced to buy from HyperDyne.

When the Velonnian Civil War came to a close, HyperDyne and Vizinias, unlike most of the factions who had been economically crippled by the conflict, came out of it ahead, with a vast supply of profits made.
    HyperDyne cut down their high prices to something more easily affordable, built three more enormous refineries to increase productivity, and helped newly-formed MSI rebuild the war-torn Imperial worlds, becoming friendly with the new government in the process.

Now, HyperDyne is enormously powerful, controlling 80% of the Imperium's fuel production, both military and otherwise. HyperDyne also expanded beyond just fuel, diversifying its products. HyperDyne sits currently as one of the most powerful businesses in the Imperium.

NOTES: This one was hilariously fun to make. Razz Kudos to whichever die-hard Lego fan figures out why first. Razz
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

HyperDyne - Fuel for the Future Empty Re: HyperDyne - Fuel for the Future

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 pm
I see what you did there! Octan FTW! Very Happy Great backstory! I'm glad the MSI has this giant on friendly terms.
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:52 pm
I was going to say, I take it Hyperdyne was originally named Octan at one point and later was renamed? Razz
Grand Minister Dyma Alcel
Grand Minister Dyma Alcel
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : Koine Telos
Location : Blood & Thunder, Brachialis-type freighter, KT space

Character sheet
Faction: Other
Species: Human
http://tilde.town/~nikolojedison

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:40 pm
Perhaps Lord Visinias is secretly President Business on the side? Razz I think some HyperDyne tankers might be in my building queue...
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:46 pm
...I'm guessing that some corporation named Octan jacked up their prices so it became more expensive to manufacture Lego or something? Razz Regardless, this little article makes me glad I use warp nacelles. Razz

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:54 pm
Fantastic corporation bio, though I'm not exactly sure what hyperfuel is. Razz I certainly love the idea of our navies needing fuel, as it adds a great supply dynamic to our warfare and politics, but I always thought we used nuclear or hypermatter reactors or something like that.
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:15 am
Everyone: Yep, it's based off of Octan. Razz I've seen other builders around the web come up with some pretty creative stuff for Octan, and I thought I'd somewhat repurpose the idea for use here.

Spud: I'd say it's more along the lines of HyperDyne trying to keep themselves on good terms with the MSI rather than the other way around. After taking sides against the Velonnian Imperium, then against the ICC, then declaring war on all the other factions too, HyperDyne wouldn't have a good reputation for trustworthiness, so getting on the MSI's good side with a few favors would be in their best interests.

Nik: Feel free. Razz I was thinking of making one or two myself, but I dunno if I'll have the time, so if you or anyone else wants to make some that'd be great.

MAD: "Hyperfuel" just something I came up with on the spot for reactor core or FTL drive fuel. Feel free to change it. Razz Though it could maybe be considered sort of a "catch-all" term for any sort of fuel that fits in this category.
As to hypermatter and nuclear reactors, it kinda depends. Hypermatter reactors seem to use a "hypermatter annihilant" fuel or something like that at least according to a few sources (mainly the Cross-Sections books).
    Though the Death Star seems to have a hypermatter reactor that, at least the way I remember it (and this was a while ago Razz), can draw hypermatter directly out of hyperspace and then annihilate it, essentially making for a reactor that has more power output from the annihilated hypermatter than the power input it takes to run, essentially making it so it's "fuel-less" in a sense.
    Nuclear reactors aren't something I have more than a very, very vague understanding of, but my assumption is that hypermatter fuel would be vastly more powerful, considering the enormous power output SW describes it as having. Not that I'm the least bit certain of that. Razz
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:16 pm
Arik: Nuclear reactors (the current real-life ones, anyway) work by taking a neutron and firing it at high velocity into the nucleus of a large and unstable atom, usually uranium. The impact force of the neutron is enough to overcome what's called the "strong nuclear force," the force holding the subatomic particles in the nucleus (protons and neutrons) together. The nucleus of the uranium atom then splits, releasing large amounts of heat energy and highly toxic radiation. The split also flings neutrons from the uranium atom's nucleus off in all directions, which then impact more uranium nuclei, which then fling out more neutrons and release more energy. The heat released by the splitting nuclei boils large amounts of water into steam, which then turns large turbines that generate electricity.

The problem with a nuclear reactor is the waste it produces. The spent uranium "fuel" will continue to release dangerous radiation for thousands of years. If a nuclear reactor were to be the main powerplant for even a modest-size ship, say an Excelsior, that one ship would produce too much radioactive waste to make it a viable source of energy.

Now, seeing as though this is sci-fi and the definition of "hypermatter" can be pretty much left to the imagination, it would be a much better source of energy than a standard nuclear reactor, because you could make hypermatter produce much more energy than a nucear reaction and invent super-hi-tech equipment that would make it safe for use aboard a starship.

*reads back what I just wrote*

Wow, that took longer than expected. Razz Hope it helped, though!
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:33 pm
As someone with next to no knowledge of SW tech, I always assumed hypermatter-annihilant-reactors were similar ST antimatter warp cores in that they draw power from combining particles with their antiparticles, with the difference being that "hypermatter" was some sort of hyperspace-related space magic stuff instead of normal antimatter. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:07 pm
Lord General Spud wrote:Arik: Nuclear reactors (the current real-life ones, anyway) work by taking a neutron and firing it at high velocity into the nucleus of a large and unstable atom, usually uranium. The impact force of the neutron is enough to overcome what's called the "strong nuclear force," the force holding the subatomic particles in the nucleus (protons and neutrons) together. The nucleus of the uranium atom then splits, releasing large amounts of heat energy and highly toxic radiation. The split also flings neutrons from the uranium atom's nucleus off in all directions, which then impact more uranium nuclei, which then fling out more neutrons and release more energy. The heat released by the splitting nuclei boils large amounts of water into steam, which then turns large turbines that generate electricity.

The problem with a nuclear reactor is the waste it produces. The spent uranium "fuel" will continue to release dangerous radiation for thousands of years. If a nuclear reactor were to be the main powerplant for even a modest-size ship, say an Excelsior, that one ship would produce too much radioactive waste to make it a viable source of energy.

Now, seeing as though this is sci-fi and the definition of "hypermatter" can be pretty much left to the imagination, it would be a much better source of energy than a standard nuclear reactor, because you could make hypermatter produce much more energy than a nucear reaction and invent super-hi-tech equipment that would make it safe for use aboard a starship.

*reads back what I just wrote*

Wow, that took longer than expected. Razz Hope it helped, though!

Das fission. Smart person use fusion.
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:35 pm
Jace: Oh, I know fusion blows fission out of the water; I was just giving an explanation of today's nuclear reactors. Fusion is a whole 'nother ball game when it comes to producing energy. Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum