Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

{Project:Divination}

on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:54 pm
I know there are a bunch of other projects I should be working on (*cough*Hierarchy*cough*), but I’ve been feeling really uninspired as of late- and really in a general not-feeling-like-doing-anything-with-LDD mood. As a result, I’ve decided to tackle a refit of one of J-red’s and one of Dino’s ships, like we discussed however long ago it was. BTW, guys, how are your ships coming? Razz XD

Tenshin Assault Dreadnought:
*Pictures will be added at some point, hopefully later today; for now, I just want to get this thing up Razz) Here you go!

This is the P.C.G. Paramount. It is by far THE most powerful ship I have ever produced.

It is also one of the most advanced ships in the PCG.

Now on to the specs.

Standard cruising speed: Warp 9.9.9

Max safe speed. Warp 15.

Max speed (for two weeks.) Warp 20.

It is able to achieve these unbelievable speeds due to a Transwarp drive system. (I think it is the first in the fleet to use this.)

And yes it does have Transwarp coils.

On to the weapons.

Point defense Phaser Banks: 30.

Phaser strips: 124.

Rapid fire, tracking Quantum torpedo tubes: 76.

Double barreled light artillery weapons: 60. These weapons act as either anti aircraft, or railguns.

Gauss guns: 6.

Double barreled PPC/PCC (Star Hunter which one is correct?) weapons: 3.

And (to top things off it also has.) 4 pulse phaser cannon turrets. (similar to those used on the Defiant but MUCH more powerful.)

And as to protection this ship has 6 Typhoon class shield generators. (Which give it a shielding power equal to a ship with 3 Delver type shield generators.)

These shields have the ability to regenerate in 2.5 seconds.

The ship is also protected by 2 electro-magnetic shield dishes that reduce the effect of all non solid energy based weapons. (E.G. Phaser and disruptors.)

Other protective armors include.

A thick and sturdy haul.

3 inches of Ablative haul plating.

1 inch of Neutronium armor plating.

This ship has a large med bay, as well as replicators that even dukeboy would be proud of.

And something new and special...

Ablative armor generators!

The Paramount has hundreds of millions of nanobots that repair it during combat.

The ship is powered by a chain of ten Omega molecules. It is completely self sufficient.

This is my new flagship.
-Dino, LUCL

Overview:
   The Tenshin-Class Assault Dreadnought was designed and manufactured to serve as a minor flagship and anti-capital-ship brawler. Though high expenses and consistent production issues meant the class only ever had a limited production run, those that have been produced have served the SDF well in almost every engagement they have participated in. Several commanders have remarked that they love the ship because of it’s advanced C&C systems, the effect on the enemy’s morale, and the prestige of commanding such a rare combat vessel.the vessel’s crews have also been noted to sing their praises -though theirs is mostly focused on being able to take a hit from almost anything, ranging from torpedo spreads to suicidal enemy cruisers, and keep right on rolling. As a direct result, demand for Tenshins is extremely high, fueling both friendly competition and rumors of a second wave of vessels in the works at Yaltev-Xarsin Shipyards.
  In combat, Tenshins function as heavy-duty anti-capital-ship brawlers. Packed to the brim with heavy weaponry at the expense of basic lighter armaments, they are designed to close the range as quickly as possible and lock horns with the largest of enemy vessels. Due to their specialized nature, Tenshins are fleet vessels; they have a great interdependency with other vessels in the fleet, requiring them for cleaning up lighter targets, providing maneuvering information, expand non-combat functions (such as the medbay), and other support roles. A singular Tenshin is not a huge threat; a Tenshin with a well-balanced fleet is a force to be reckoned with.

Design History and Details:
  The vessel that would serve as the basis for the Tenshin-class, the PCG Paramount, was constructed as part of {Project:Oracle}- an attempt by the PCG to create what would hopefully become a successful template for the future of capital ships throughout the quadrant. The end result, launched in September of 2607 as an experimental command-battleship under command of Iron Fleet, quickly proved its mettle- at the time one of the most powerful vessels in the quadrant, it easily overpowered virtually anything short of a Spectre.
  Unfortunately, the Paramount’s experimental nature would be its undoing. While powerful, it’s many advanced technologies meant that mass production was simply prohibitively expensive. The issue was further complicated by the ship’s Omega molecule power source; while it provided more than enough power to run all systems simultaneously, it further jacked up the price significantly, and limited the number of total ships that could practically be produced. Between this, the various technical problems associated with the plethora of new systems, and the simple impracticality of keeping the latinum-devourer well supplied meant the any plans for a proper Paramount-class were nipped in the bud.
  Several months after the official launch of the Paramount, the PCG High Council commissioned a follow-up effort- dubbed {Project:Divination}- to analyze the design, propose a set of changes to make production of a class of vessels practical, and then build and test several of these prototypes. The preliminary report, delivered in January of 2608, set the project off to a bad start: creating a cost-efficient variant of the Paramount would require the total redesign of several major systems (most notably including the vessel’s power supply, as the idea of cost-efficiency and an Omega-molecule powerplant were widely considered to be oxymoronic among the engineering and design corps). Nevertheless, the rest of the project was green-lighted, in the hopes that something useful could still come of it.
  The first thing the design team did was replace the advanced Omega molecule chain with a more standard set of 3 capital ship octodirectional segmented cores, along with four supplementary ejectable cores near the rear. On most vessels of it’s size, this would have been considered excessive; on {Project:Divination}, it still came nowhere near the vessel’s (severely downgraded) total energy requirements. Though cause for concern, it was decided to move ahead with other systems and return to the issue later.
  The original’s coordinated six-generator design was replaced with a cheaper standard dual-layered regenerative system, with an emphasis on the Type 2 recharging cores over the Type 1a and 1b projection cores. Compared to the old layout, the new shielding system has markedly increased regeneration rate, with the tradeoff of much less overall strength. The navigational deflector was also upgraded and modified with temporal and transpharic protection, allowing some coverage against unconventional attacks.
  The ship’s weapon layout was completely reinvented from the ground up: firepower was focused towards the frontal arc, with additional weaponry was also added to the broadside; standard phaser strips were removed completely, replaced with quantum phaser banks and heavy turbolaser batteries; anti-capital-ship weaponry was bolstered with the addition of a pair of Bofor heavy coilguns, as well as several spinally-mounted energy cannons; several forward-fixed antimatter artillery cannons replaced the old broadside-mounted gauss artillery; many of the heavy-hitting experimental weapons were replaced with more standard-issue variants; AA hailfire missile batteries were installed for short-range anti-fighter defence; and several other minor changes were effected.
  The new warp core layout soon came back to haunt project designers in the form of massive structural issues; simply put, the three main cores wouldn’t fit within the ship’s pre-existing frame. The project was set back by months as engineers were forced to quite literally redo almost all of the ship’s skeleton- hence why the hull is a good deal longer and on-the-whole larger than it’s predecessor. However, while the delay was highly disruptive to project deadlines, it had some silver linings: since the frame was designed around the warp cores, and not the other way around, designers were able to achieve massive amounts of optimization in almost every area. The power-saving effects were particularly noted; overall efficiency was increased by almost 30%, and power transfer rates were nearly doubled. In addition, many of the old vessel’s glaring inefficiencies, such as the infamously-disruptive original navigational deflector system, were completely or partially eliminated- freeing up more of the desperately-needed total energy supply to other systems.
  Perhaps the most obvious benefit to the redesign, however, was the greatly increased structural integrity. Advanced load-bearing techniques pioneered in other projects were applied to the hull of what some engineers were now calling the Providence-class, allowing the ship to disperse the force of impacts throughout the hull- and giving the vessel it’s famed sturdiness. This was further bolstered by the introduction of a new technique of reinforcing hulls with a titanium-duranium composite weave coupled with generous portions of ablative armor layers throughout, making the hull about as close to invulnerable one can get with becoming utterly impractical. However, these added techniques make both construction and repairs extremely difficult- perhaps why more vessels haven’t yet been produced. In addition to the actual hull changes, the number of ablative armor regenerators was reduced to go along with the whole idea of “relatively affordable”; though, as the project continued, the idea seemed to be becoming less and less practical.
  Noting the somewhat minimized engineering section on the original design, and now armed with a much more reinforced mass-supporting structure, an additional engineering hull was adding on the vessel’s ventral side to house the navigational deflector, hangar bay, and additional set of impulse engines. In order to balance the center of mass and thrust, as well as to serve as an addition weapons and comms platform, an additional tertiary hull was added to the dorsal side. Interestingly, these hulls were added relatively late in the design process by a different team of engineers; as a result, they have much more interchangeability when compared to the rest of the ship (particularly the dorsal section).
  As the project neared completion, the design team was forced to once again confront the elephant in the room- that being, even with the massive efficiency improvements, the ship’s power supply still didn’t even come close to meeting demand. Running out of time and unable to raise the vessel’s price much higher without making construction impractical, the team was forced to settle for upgrading the EPS conduit system to allow even more rapid transfer. Simply put, when the engineers couldn’t add any more power, they simply gave the ship the ability to rapidly shunt what energy it did have between subsystems. This was an overall hit to performance, but a great boon to flexibility.

Service History:
  With threats looming from all sides, the PCG Council unanimously elected to accelerate the production of the first {Project:Divination} prototype. Leaving testing drydock with a skeleton crew at 0834 hours on the 16th of April, 2609, the PCG Providence had a more-or-less successful shakedown run. Though energy drain from weapon fire ending up taking more energy than predicted, several notable improvements in shield harmonics and basic subsystems kept overall energy requirements lower than expected. Quite distressing, however, was the overall sublight speed; impulse engine performance was much lower than expected, and while the strategically-placed RCS thrusters endowed the ship with somewhat-above-average maneuverability, acceleration and top speed remained painfully lacking. This was particularly troublesome due to the ship’s status as a close-range brawler, and resulted in the addition of further long-range armaments.
  Despite the general success of the Providence’s first trial, the return warp jump rapidly turned to disaster when a failure in the navigational deflector caused several micrometeorites to strike and severely damage the hull; as a result, the vessel was confined to drydock for several months for extended repairs and “bugfixing”. Interestingly, the delay was long enough that the second hull laid- the PCG Tenshin- was the first to be officially commissioned; hence, the class name being Tenshin and not Providence.
  Despite it’s relatively recent introduction, there is much to say in the Tenshin’s service history; because of the Council’s wish that Tenshins be established as the “battleship of the future”, what few Tenshins have been produced have seen plenty of action (mainly in the ongoing First Cor Redor incursion). For the sake of brevity, this report will primarily deal with the following two combat actions: the Dakour III incident, and the defence of Torodan VIII.
  The former refers to an encounter between a small PCG combat squadron en route to Starbase Garol, lead by First Lieutenant Enrique Zalaforr aboard the Tenshin PCG Pagbantay, and a raiding party of rouge Klingon House of Duras warships. The skirmish is notable mainly because it is the best recorded example of the PCG’s primary Tenshin battle tactic against proper enemy capital ships. When it became clear the Klingon threat forces were belligerent, Zalaforr had the Pagbantay hang back at long range as his other ships advanced; once they were in close, they began to stream telemetric data back to the flagship, allowing him to initiate a tactical warp jump right on top of the Klingon’s primary vessels. At close range, the House of Duras vessels were quickly annihilated in a storm of anti-capital fire.
  The second encounter is of far greater magnitude. During the opening, dark days of the Incursion, CRS raiders wreaked havoc on several outlying worlds. In this particular instance, the Tenshins Golem and Prozřetelnost were docked above Torodan II when a distress call from the refining facility on Totodan VIII was received. First lieutenant Anthony Carlowitz, commanding officer of the Prozřetelnost, took the two vessels and a small fleet to investigate- and thus unwittingly diving headfirst into a crack Cor Redor attack squadron. Armed with both the element of surprise and a great numerical superiority, the CRS commander understandably believed he had an easy victory in his hands; as a result, he foolishly ordered a frontal assault on all vessels. In the space of about ten minutes, the CRS squadron was almost completely eradicated from the combined long-range firepower of both Tenshins and their supporting vessels. Since that point, most Cor Redor tactics against Tenshins appears to be to avoid them completely whenever possible.

Spoiler:
*See above*

As a plus, here's a side-by-side comparison:
LDD file has both too, if that isn't doing it for you. Razz

This ship actually shares no original pieces from the original Paramount; it’s completely new from the ground up. Though I have to say I overall like my new version better than the old one, I still have a feeling that something was “lost in translation”, so to speak; it just doesn’t have the same tough, almost utilitarian, feel as the original Paramount. I’m not sure, but I believe this to be because of the original’s having the frontal “hump” on the bottom sorta stuck out there in a gull-like manner (or, at least that’s always the word I felt best described it); on the Tenshin, however, the hump flows cleanly into the body proper. Coupled with some pretty sweet SNOT work on the bottom of the original, and I’m left not entirely certain this is an upgrade in all areas- though, again, I certainly believe mine to be the overall superior version. Razz
  Also continually vexing to me are two factors that seem to come up on every ship I make: an inability to cover up the vast majority of the studs, and a way to equally weaponize the top and bottom halves. The first is an age-old problem; I’ve always disliked how most of my ships are stud-covered, as I’ve always found it an overall distraction to the general aesthetic- yet an answer that doesn’t create even worse problems continues to elude me. The second, however, really shouldn’t be a problem in this case; the ship was intentionally designed to be symmetrical along the X axis, and while many of the protruding structures partially explain the discrepancy, I still feel that most of the weapons should be much more evenly distributed along the dorsal and ventral sides. Once again, I’ll have to get back to this issue.
  Interestingly, this was one of the few designs where I actually went through multiple iterations until I hit upon a winner (provided, I “hit upon the winner” on the second try, but still Razz). While I liked the Mk.1 Tenshin quite a bit, I didn’t feel it’s more “space battleship” design was what worked best in this instance; it didn’t encapsulate the feel of the original ship as much as I liked. I might revisit, rename, and republish it later- but for now, it’s just an unfinished prototype in drydock. Razz
  One thing that’s been bothering me for a while now is the size of my nav deflectors; I have a tendency to make them way too small in comparison to the size of the ship they’re mounted on. Razz The Tenshin was my latest attempt to move up to larger dishes corresponding to my larger battleship-sized vessels. I mostly like the result, though I can see mounting the cursed things to be an issue in future designs (especially since I have a bad habit of only adding them as an afterthought Razz).
  There really isn’t much to say about the design itself, honestly. I tried to spice up the shape a bit, but it’s an oval; there’s only so much you can do. Razz I ended up adding some secondary hulls, because I honestly couldn’t think of anything else (Also, secondary hulls are awesome Razz).

Stats:
-Classification: PCD (Dreadnought)
-Role: Anti-capital-ship warfare, minor flagship, minor carrier/C&C roles, heavy/long-term combat
-Armaments: 29 phaser banks, 36 quantum phaser banks, 22 standard torpedo tubes, 14 railguns, 14 gauss cannons, 14 plasma cannons, 2 phaser cannons, 7 tetryon cannons, 2 minelaying pods, 9 medium turbolaser banks, 6 heavy turbolaser batteries, 4 turbophaser banks, 4 turbophaser batteries, 6 antimatter burst cannons, 7 AA hailfire pods, 2 spectrum cannons, 2 isokinetic cannons, 2 Bofor cannons, 2 ion cannons
-Shielding: Regenerative; 72 Type 1a generators, 58 Type 1b generators, 44 Type 2 generators
-Armor/Hull: Triple-layer Tritanium-Neutronium alloy hull with Titanium-duranium composite weave | 12.6 inches ablative standard; 19.8 inches near key areas | ablative armor generators
-Dimensions:
  -Length: 1085 meters
  -Beam: 322 meters
  -Draft: 193 meters
  -Mass: 4,800,600 metric tons
-Impulse: 1 primary impulse drive, 2 secondary drives | impulse rating: 5; acceleration rating 5, maneuver rating 13
-Warp: 4x Deliverance nacelles | MCW: 8.32; MEW: 9.79
-Sensory/Comms: Standard-ranged sensors, short-ranged tachyon detection grid | High-capacity tactical comms equipment, moderate C&C systems
-Crew: 217 officers, 651 crew | 19 shuttle pilots, 124 strike craft pilots.
-Strike Craft: 12 Valkyrie shuttles, 2 Hercules heavy shuttles, 5 squadrons of strike craft
-Ammo: 1520 standard torpedo casings, 1480 gauss shells, 1850 railgun shells
-Assault: 434 marines, 36 Tempest hardsuits

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/384a0fghod89kxm/PCG%20Tenshin%20-%20Paramount%20Class%20Refit%20%28Dino%29.lxf?dl=0

Comments/criticism/questions/concerns are welcome, as always!

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pictures!)

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : Koine Telos
Location : Blood & Thunder, Brachialis-type freighter, KT space

Character sheet
Faction: Other
Species: Other
View user profilehttp://nikolokaidon.tumblr.com

Re: {Project:Divination}

on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:49 pm
Firstly, awesome job! The weapons layout is really cool, and the weapons themselves are pretty sweet too. The mix of transparent & solid bricks gives some accenting as well.
As far as studs, if you mix studless tiles in with your angled pieces - especially behind them, where it's normally studded tiles - it'll help to take some off the design. The angled parts are a bit more tricky, though, and thus I don't have any suggestions there - sorry. Razz It's often a tradeoff between smoothness and a thin setup, and I hope LEGO will address that in the future.
Overall, excellent design!

View user profile

on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 am
Very nice! Although it feels different to the original, it's still really cool. One thing that might help keep the original feel would be the use of the first's dual nacelle pylon system. 

The original needed a lot of work, and it was rather insanely OP. 

Except for the studs, this looks and feels really, really good. 

My only other suggestion would be to avoid the use of titanium and instead use "modern" (fictitious) Trek metals (Eg, Duranium, Tritanium, etc) as they are FAR stronger. 

This is a gorgeous design... and you're making me want to revisit the Paramount.

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:08 pm
Niko- Thanks! yeah, I believed I've tried that technique before on the Skaaldier, but I have yet to apply that to most of my ships; I should really work on that. Razz And yeah, Lego really needs to expand their brick selection for non-studded surfaces. Razz

Dino- Yes, you should absolutely revisit the Paramount; it's a pretty cool ship. Razz Not sure about the nacelle layout; if I ever do a refit, I might consider that, but I otherwise like the way it is now. Razz

As for the materials choice: by my interpretation, Duranium and the other ST super-materials are just metals like steel or copper; as a result, it makes sense if they were bound with "normal" metals. The material itself is actually stronger than most of said metals; Titanium just happens to be a key component.

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:15 pm
Yes, ST metals are (in canon) usually either naturally occurring elements, or are alloys of elements. 
The problem with creating an alloy with Trek metals and Titanium is that Titanium honestly has NOTHING to offer compared to modern Trek metals. The idea of an alloy is to combine advantages offered by the sum of its parts to achieve an optimum material for a specific purpose. An alloy of gold, copper, and tin would probably be NOWHERE near as strong as say, an alloy of iron, titanium, and tungsten. But iron, titanium, and tungsten (or wolfram to other parts of the world) are to Star Trek metals what gold, copper, and tin are to iron, titanium, and tungsten. For example "Rodinium" is 21.4 times harder than diamond.  

What would be really interesting in my mind, would be an alloy of Star Trek metals/other Trek alloys. Although we honestly don't know enough about Trek metals to really get a definitive idea about what would work how. I'll still need to come up with that sometime. 

That said, going ahead and creating an alloy was a great idea.

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:22 pm
@Tet: Wow, I really like it. Well detailed, well designed, love the thickness and sturdiness feel of every part of the ship, well weaponized, good geebling. Just a nice job. And a great (though long) description to boot! Razz

@Dino: (warning, incoming rant) "naturally occurring elements" Given that we already have elements 1 through 118, wouldn't any new elements be, I don't know, SUPER RIDICULOUSLY HEAVY?!? This is one thing that has always bugged me (or just tweaked all sorts of nerves in my body) about anything from Star Trek to Iron Man 2 when he "synthesizes a new element" for a power source. I don't think people realize just how heavy a new element would be. Ununoctium is more than four and a half times heavier than iron (and roughly the same for steel, given that the carbon and other elements added to make the alloys are of small percentages.) And that is act the atmoic level, depending on how the atoms form molecules you could very easily end up with something even heavier. Yes, I realize that this is in the future and we have more power to expend on moving super heavy masses around, but weight still plays a major factor, especially when you begin to descend through the atmosphere with your already massive and weighty star-ship, or if you try and use such elements in construction of a standing structure, or on vehicles, or in body armor. And new element would be 119 through whatever, and would be ridiculously heavy. And then you have stability issues, Ununoctium is so unstable that it was only shown to have existed for a nano second by observing what it broke down into, not even observing it itself. The same goes for many other elements with high atomic numbers. This is why I personally I favor just using different alloy combinations, different crystallization forms (e.g. carbon can crystallize as graphite or diamonds) and building technologies to make things super strong and impenetrable. As Tet hinted at, they could be a "super alloy" of which normal metals are a key and main component of. Using some of the more obscure elements and different isotopes there are endless imagined possibilities for metals that are much more realistic than saying "it's a whole brand new element! Very Happy"  This also means that it's really not a problem if someone says that their ship has "a titanium alloy" for armor.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:21 pm
Not sure where I want to start with this one... So first off I'm going to say... excellent color coordination. Razz Weird thing to start off with I know, but it was honestly one of the first things I saw.

For now at least, I'm not going to comment on the description/tech, I'm just looking at the design for now and your modifications from the previous version.

I really love the cannons you mounted on the sides! They're really awesome and add a lot to the character of the ship. The command bridge is excellent as well and adds a great aesthetic to the upper deck as does the really cool looking spoilerish-fin (skims description for what it actually is) Tertiary hull?

The lower hull is great, especially the forward section, I love the usage of those disks and how you changed the that section to actually angle downwards. Excellent work with the deflector. So simple, yet so good. Lastly, the warp nacelles, there's nothing particularly special about them, but they still look good. Though I would suggest adding some coloration to the nacelles, maybe dark gray metallic?

Final thoughts, excellent work, gorgeous refit. I'll get around to reading the description at a later date, I've been buys lately with other projects. And having a hernia in my throat.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:44 pm
Dino: I'm taking Chemistry ATM, so I have all that crap about electron configurations and whatnot still relatively fresh in my head; I imagine that titanium just be the lightest element to have the right amount of valence-electrons (and as Ant pointed out, weight is quite an important factor). IDK. Razz

Ant: Thanks on both accounts!

As for new elements, I used to have the same feelings myself (especially in Mass Effect, with the who eezoo atom-with-no-protons-and-can-magically-change-gravity thing or whatever it was); eventually, I just assumed they were using an overly-liberal definition of "element", with the material actually having more/different subatomic particles. Razz

J-red: Perhaps I should shorten the descriptions? They're really quite long by this point. Razz

Thanks! I might take you up on the warp nacelle point; they do look a tad boring. Razz And yeah, I'm quite proud of the way a lot of the lower structures and such came out. Razz

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:57 pm
AA/Tetra 

I didn't make up any of this "new element" stuff, so talk to the Star Trek/Star Wars/other big sci-fi writers and not me. :PI agree that new elements would be insanely heavy. Trek elements are often mentioned as being alloys, so maybe they already DO use say, titanium and a little say, duranium and tritanium? Sure doesn't sound like it though. I completely agree that carbon-based materials (graphene, carbon nanotube, buckyballs, bucky paper, etc) are going to be roughly as strong, and FAAAAAAR lighter than some magical new metallic elements. And even if one could find these magical new elements, it seems to me that given how little can make such a huge difference in current alloys, that, as you say, we could make SUPER alloys with tiny amounts of these (even extremely heavy) super metals.

But, I didn't write any of Trek... so Tritanium, Duranium, etc, are canon and thus standard materials to use that somehow are stable and not too heavy. But this isn't a Trek only universe. So... very... confusing.... Logic... missing....

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:04 am
@Dino: I apoligize if it seemed my rant was aimed at you, it was aimed at what you said/the whole idea of new elements and their creators. However, using new elements as a tiny percentage for an alloy would be much more feasible, as even if something weighs four or five times something else if it's only one or two percent of the mass it's not going to be a significant increase in weight. (Well, it will when you start fiddling with something as big as a starship, but not four-or-five-times-as-heavy significant. Razz ) And then again, maybe we should just all use depleted uranium, I've heard that it's extremely tough, or atleast, it makes for an excellent munition (projectiles made out of depleted uranium where used during the invasion of Iraq on aircraft and such, if I remember correctly, and even some kinetic tank shells [meaning it relied on using a solid projectile's kinetic force for penetration and not some form of explosive] where made out of depleted uranium, but don't quote me on that. I know depleted uranium has been used somewhere as munitions[/i]. ) You just have to wait until the decay process is finished and the radiation has subsided to a point where the ship's anti-radiation measures already in place to protect against the sun and such can soak it up.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 pm
Yeah, I know Abrams tanks used depleted-uranium sabot rounds; I believe it's because it's so much more dense than the alternatives, but that's more conjecture than anything else.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:37 pm
That could be, I'll have to research it......aaaand that requires work, so it's been automatically filtered into my list for things to procrastinate on. Razz

~/Com|Ant~

Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 pm
Yeah, depleted uranium's used in tanks rounds. Though I don't think it simply outdoes everything, as I think a few other materials (tungsten, namely) are considered good solid alternatives.

As to being used as an armor, isn't depleted uranium just straight out dense? I didn't think it was all that hard, and I think it's pretty brittle, too. Extreme weight/density, little malleability, and low-ish hardness is basically the worst combination for starship armor you can get. Razz The only other factor would be stopping energy weapons, and if that was your concern you could coat the ship in plastic wrap if it had the right conductivity. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:10 pm
@arik: I can see the headlines now: Introducing the new polymer frame starship! XD

What you could do was use some other depleted super-heavy element that might have better qualities than depleted uranium in an alloy. Though now that you mention it, depleted uranium as an armor is ringing a bell in my memory, that will require more research as well. Razz *looks it up* yup, it's used in the Abrams tanks as a form of Chobham armor. Basically you take a ceramic (or in this case, the brittle depleted uranium), and sandwich it between steel plates. There ya go, depleted uranium is good for all sorts of things! Razz Now if we take depleted undosoctium, it's gotta be a ton better/heavier! Razz

~/Com|Ant~

Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:30 am
I dunno why I haven't commented on this sooner. This ship looks really heavy and capable, sort of like the Sovereign but unlike the Sovereign it doesn't compromise strength for style. It's great. Smile
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:43 pm
*sits back and quietly listens to the varying opinions on tech, elements, and the like.*

I, for one, know nothing about any of this stuff, and therefore I will merely make comments on the ship itself. Razz

First of all, let me say that I love it! It's a rugged-looking, big-n-bad foehammer just waiting to plow through an enemy fleet. Love the way you designed the nacelles: they are quite aesthetically pleasing. Your weaponry and design was also well-done. Basically the only complaint I have is that it's not SNOT; but that is merely because I myself have tried to graduate to the SNOT style almost entirely and have therefore forgotten what non-SNOT ships look like. Razz

Great work as usual! Wink

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:54 pm
Ant/Arik- Yes, making armor out of superheavy, artificial, extremely radioactive elements just can't possibly go wrong- after all it's not like this is a sci-fi universe or something. Razz

Talmid- Yes, I suppose the Tenshin and the Sovereign are quite similar in that regard. Thanks!

Scare- "Foehammer"... you may have just given me the name of my next battleship. Razz Yeah, this sort of design SNOT-style would be rather difficult- and, for once, probably uglier. Razz Thanks!

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Fri May 01, 2015 5:55 pm
Thanks! Yeah, I should probably reign in the walls-o-text. Razz Also, interesting theory on each ship's feels; that may explain why the Tenshin feels so different.

As to your issues:
-The excessive studs are easily the thing I like least about the ship- though it's a little difficult to fix with the building techniques I used. Razz
-Hmm... yeah, I think that one might be just you; you're the only one who's mentioned it, and I haven't personally noticed anything wrong with it up until now.
-Ah, yes, the weapons. there's a few reasons I still use the turrets- mainly, I just outright suck at macroweapons. Razz The Bofor and isokinetic cannon were my own designs, but all the others were taken off one of Ant's older ships I won in a contest. Razz there's a few minor secondary reasons, but that's the main one.

Thanks!

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 pm
The hull shape is pretty much on me as the designer of this ship's ancestor.

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm
I think the weapons you took of the ship you won from me where the only good things on said ship, glad to know you used them and discarded the rest. Razz

~/Com|Ant~

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum