Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

{Project:Hierarchy}

on Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm
Ladies and gents, you’ve waited quite long enough. The project I started in late August of last year has finally been readied for your approval. At the time, I predicted it would take about one or two weeks- tops.
  Welp, it took four months just to get it to a point where I was happy* with the darn thing, another two for me to realize I actually wasn’t (and then “finish” it again), and another three(-ish) to actually finish it (for the third time)- and then the time it took to ready and present. This thing has been on quite the trip, to say the least. I know it’s been going for well over half a year- but hopefully, you’ll feel it was worth the wait (I sure don’t Razz).

PCG Thanatos:

“Something bothering you, Commander?” Commander Michael Slokachev turned, startled, and then relaxed. “Oh... it’s just you, Frank,” he muttered to himself, “I-I’m fine… but thanks for asking.” The commander turned back to facing out the massive viewport on Hillburn Memorial Station- the only starbase in Farpoint Tau to offer a good view of his baby. “She’s coming along beautifully,” Frank mumbled, coming up behind his CO. “Just like all those simulations, all those renderings, all those late-night hastily-drawn sketches. Just like you dreamed,” Slokachev merely grunted in response; normally, he would’ve digressed that a new ship always looks different when you see it the first time in drydock, but today…
  “C’mon,” Frank probed, “What’s eating you? You’re the proud designer and commanding officer of a freshly-minted two-point-seven-klick-long supercruiser, respite with omega molecules, three shielding grids, hyperpulse engines, hundreds of fighters, the firepower of a small fleet, three companies of marines, bumper stickers, soda pop, foosball tables,” he chuckled, more to himself than aloud, “and I hear you’re in for some sweet badges, too!” Commander Slokachev, normally jovial, was unmoved.
 It was just then an ensign stuck his head inside the door, announced “Report for you, sir,”, dropped a datapad on a nearby table, and left without another word. “Whaddaya wanna bet that’s another report on the whole Rommie-Fed presidential affair?” Frank joked, pointing his thumbs back at the table near the door. Slokachev let the air drain out his nostrils, his teeth digging into his lips. It took Frank a few moments to connect the dots.
  “Ahh…” he said, “This is about the Sons of Liberty, isn’t it? That’s what the whole mood is for?” The commander blinked, and -without taking his eyes on the nearly-finished hull- replied “I’m shipping out to Aeranite at 0740 hours. I want you to stay behind and… look after her,” he made a slight motion to the ship. Frank glanced at the hull himself. It really *is* going well, he thought to himself.
 They stood there together for around twenty minutes, watching the workbee construction drones and larger manned PAFs continue their unceasing work on the future PCG Thanatos.

Overview:
 The Phoenix Combat SuperCruiser Thanatos** was launched on the fourteenth of May, 2607, from Farpoint Tau Superheavy Shipyards- the birthplace of many a supership before it. Named for the Greek demon of death, the ship was first proposed shortly after Operation:Omega, along with most of the SDF’s other behemoths that now carry the title “supercruiser”. However, unlike the others currently in active PCG service, the Thanatos began not from Strategic Order #1183 that birthed many of its peers in the wake of the Spectre War- mainly because the PCG Council at the time wasn’t certain of the utility of these monolithic vessels. Conventional wisdom held anything that big would simply be too few to be effective, too slow to operate effectively within a fleet, and too resource-hungry to be maintained.
 Evidently, conventional wisdom was wrong.
 With success from the likes of the Patriarch and Empress, the Council quickly decided to fund the construction of further überdreadnoughts -now called “supercruisers”- creating truly gargantuan monsters such as the PCG St. George. However, for all their superior firepower, each of these ships failed to effectively provide any support functionality other vessels, in any form; in short, they were all guns, and thus lacking many of the command suites, fire control equipment, and other C&C systems usually associated with flagships. This did not suit Commander Michael Slokachev at all; as a man raised on the old-fashioned ideas of naval carrier supremacy, he envisioned his dream supercruiser to be somewhat more…. flexible.
 His fancy came to fruition in the wake of the Battle of Alazhari. With the majority of the PCG’s supercruisers retired to drydock for repairs or otherwise unavailable, and impressed by the sheer scale of the Yor fleet, Slokachev was able to convince the Council to fund another wave of large-scale vessels. Though not ready in time to participate in the Sons of Liberty campaign, the finished Thanatos was online and fully functional for the First Cor Redor Incursion.
 The vessel itself is simply titanic in proportions. At 2,735 meters long, it’s size is second only to the St. George- and rightfully so. Contained with the Thanatos’s hull a level of firepower equivalent to a small fleet, capable of blasting a target with absolute terrifying force at a moment’s notice- all before the primary weapons have even finished charging. It’s cavernous primary hangar contains no less than 25 squadrons under normal operating conditions, and much more during wartime. Furthermore, the area right above the small secondary engineering hull contains an additional hangar and several armories for the crack marine and Shocktrooper regiments stationed aboard, along with all their accompanying vehicles and equipment. Should these troops be called upon for large-scale deployment, such as a planetary invasion, the Thanatos features an entire hangar dedicated to launching and operating the various dropship that transport troops to the surface- as well as large industrial transporters for reinforcements once a beachhead force has established beam-signal amplifiers. For friendly vessels in the fleet, the Thanatos also boasts an entire mini-saucer dedicated to C&C systems, endowing the ship with top-tier targeting uplinks, fire control, fleet command, and other supportive EW abilities.

Design History and Details:
  Although imagined as a support vessel, Commander Slokachev ensured that his flagship was well-armed- should a show of force be required, the Thanatos is more than up for the job. It’s primary weapon, the appropriately-named Ragnarok Cannon, is a weapon based heavily off sensor readings from Spectres. Though the actual principles are different- and the device is orders-of-magnitude less powerful- the Ragnarok cannon remain an extremely potent weapon. In addition to these, the craft boasts a total of four of “Bofor” heavy hypervoltaic cannons, sending kinetic projectiles the dwarfing the largest of strike craft at enemies at relativistic velocities. If a more ranged strike is necessary, the Thanatos also carries 8 of the new StarStriker long-range cruiser missiles, massive ordnance the size of a small corvette respite with real-time target-acquisition updates, a full array of shielding emitters, a several-kiloton warhead, and microwarp drive. However, it should be noted that the Ragnarok cannon is highly experimental, and the latter two weapons can only be rearmed at resupply depots with dedicated facilities- which, at the time of writing, are rare outside of core PCG space.
 The vessel’s standard weaponry are hardly anything to shake a stick at either: literally hundreds of weapon banks dot its surface, their insatiable thirst for energy quenched by two superhuge central warp cores sitting along the center of the primary engineering hull, as well as a further 20 ejectable secondary cores nearer to the heavily-armored nacelle pylons- 5 on each diagonal. These cores are dedicated to weapons almost entirely; all other non-tactical systems are powered by a small chain of 4 Omega molecules between the two cores, providing more than enough energy to maintain high warp speeds- or whatever else the ship mar require. It has no less than 3 navigational deflectors, allowing for much longer sustained warp flight and even warping backward when the need arises. For fast, long-distance travel, the Thanatos further packs a level four quantum slipstream drive -the best available for standard vessels- and three Pathfinder slipstream scouts. Though the device takes entire days to recharge, it can easily move the vessel from one end of PCG-space to the other. When not traveling at FTL velocities, the Thanatos is propelled by four hyperpulse engines and a pair of retropulse engines acting as maneuvering thrusters, giving it above-average sublight speed and agility for it’s size (though it still moves like a drunken elephant compared to smaller vessels).
 Between it’s massive size and battlefield presence, it’s heavy armament, and it’s plentiful support systems, it was clear the Thanatos would be a primary target for enemy forces. With little to no interest in having to rebuild 2.7-klick-long flagships, Commander Slokachev personally oversaw the design of the ship’s defensive capabilities. A dual-layered regenerative shield systems acts as the vessel’s primary defence against attacks; an advanced, hardened covariant shield acts as the second line. Should enemies penetrate both these and the vessel’s deflector shielding, the brunt of fire is taken up by two to almost four feet of ablative armor, with neutronium plating added underneath for good measure. The hull itself is quite sturdy, a quad-layered, incredibly dense hull with all the alloy-weave nano-repair reinforced bells and whistles one comes to expect from a modern flagship. Ablative armor regenerators and the latest version of the experimental DELTA organic armor round out the ship’ defensive capabilities.
 Despite it’s massive proportions, the ship also (somewhat controversially) integrates several stealth systems into it’s design. It’s primary method of stealth is a powerful phasic cloak; however, keeping this monster cloaked for extended periods requires the shields to be lowered, as the excessive combined power drain would simply overwhelm the vessel’s generators. Even then, the device will not allow the ship to remain cloaked the ship for long in highly-adverse conditions, reducing its usefulness considerably. When approaching a combat situation, the CO will often order the use of the ships’ shader device instead of the cloak. though this does not shield the vessel against short-ranged (or even particularly powerful medium-ranged scans), nor render it invisible, it does allow entering the battle with both shields and weapons fully charged.
 Like other supercruisers, the Thanatos carries little in the way of science or other nonessential civilian equipment/systems; between the barracks for ground forces, massive engineering areas, strike craft launch and maintenance facilities and ammo storage, there is precious little room left for such extraneous functions. The ship’s medbay is somewhat spartan; the vessel was designed around having an entire battlegroup in attendance, and thus defers any such system not directly related to combat it can to dedicated fleet-support vessels. It is thus unlike any supercruiser that has come before it: instead of being a small fleet in and of itself, the Thanatos is an integral part of a combined force made of ships of all descriptions. It is the head of the PECF’s Jupiter squadron- all-important, but still requiring the other parts to function. This design philosophy flew somewhat in the face of the more traditional “unstoppable, independent death machine” paradigm that dominated earlier supercruisers- and in no small part contributed to much of the controversy that later surrounded the vessel (see below).
 Should the ship’s ground troops be called upon for large-scale deployment, such as a planetary invasion or raiding a hostile outpost, the Thanatos features an entire hangar dedicated to launching and operating the various dropships and ground-support craft that are vital to the success of any ground combat operation. Once the initial wave has landed, transport beacons are deployed to allow the vessel to begin rapidly beaming addition troops and equipment to the surface directly, as well as providing fire-control information directly to the ship’s guns. The marines themselves have several toys to play with: dozens of Tempest heavy mechs for interior defence and boarding, light and medium armor, mobile artillery, command equipment, engineering vehicles, and other assorted vehicles are all stored in a dedicated ground-operations hangar next to the primary armory and local Starquest commander. In addition, enough weapons and ammunition is carried to keep the vessels five companies supplied and ready.
 Of final note is the Thanatos’s hangar and strike craft. The primary hangar is no less than cavernous, containing hundreds of strike craft of several different varieties. Furthermore, the vessel also boasts an secondary hangar on the underside of the nacelle weapon pod, which acts as a “pit stop” for fighters needing to land and relaunch quickly during combat- as well as a place to store shuttlecraft. Should the need arise, this additional bay can be used as a standard hangar as well.

Service History:
 The hull of the Thanatos was constructed with much more secrecy than of most previous vessels. Between this, the construct’s cryptic codename, and the construction location (with Farpoint Tau being located deep within the radioactive Sorlana Nebula), countless rumors quickly spawned about the ship’s design and nature- rumors ranging from next-generation supercruiser to reverse-engineered Spectre to some form of mind-control superweapon. Indeed, this should not come as a surprise; when hundreds of thousands of tons of raw materials (not to mention some of the SDF’s greatest shipwrights and designers) are whisked off to perhaps the most remote location in PCG space, one must expect a little scuttlebutt among the ranks.
 Still, some senior officers were less than pleased when the monolithic tactical supercarrier was first introduced to the public spotlight. Before long, a schism had developed among the SDF officer corps.: on the one hand were mainly older officers doggedly insisting that supercruisers were (and always had been) glorified blunt objects to be swung as hard as possible at the enemy; on the other hand, the Council, most of the junior officer corps., and a small cadre of senior flight commanders who saw the “support superbattleship” as a “vessel of the future”, in a sense.
  By the time of the First Cor Redor Incursion, it was clear neither side was completely right, nor completely wrong. Though it had only seen relatively limited combat experience, mostly in gunboat diplomacy or against the larger pirate cartels, the Thanatos’s cost- and maintenance-efficiency was clearly far lower than a conventional supercruiser’s- at least as far as raw killing power was concerned. In addition, it’s reliance on the attending fleet turned out to be a much larger liability than previously predicted, with numerous occasions of the vessel needing to break off engagement, tie up another vessel, or otherwise hinder the battlegroup at large.
 On the other hand, said offloading of nonessential systems has also allowed the vessel to focus much more heavily on vital functions than it otherwise would have. Comparatively, the Thanatos boasts far superior sublight statistics against what few peers it has- in large part due to the extra space acquired from shedding the unnecessary systems. The vessel’s shields and weaponry also enjoy greatly increased endurance from the vessel’s aforementioned massive energy grid and several large capacitors added post-launch. However, by far most of the liberated space has gone towards fighter storage and maintenance facilities. Though the decision drew the ire of the aforementioned old guard at the time, it quickly proved sound after the swarms of craft unleashed by the vessel’s numerous hangars proved to be a decisive factor during several engagements.
 During the First Cor Redor Incursion, however, the council decided against taking any risks. Several of the ship’s underperforming systems had jury-rigged augments installed, further reducing overall efficiency but ensuring the vessel could stay in the fight. These augments were later discontinued due to several compatibility issues with the ship's stock systems, as well as their aforementioned resource-devouring nature.

Summary:
 The PCG Thanatos is a massive, versatile tactical carrier, capable of holding it’s own in a ship-to-ship engagement or providing combat support functions to other members of its battlegroup. Though the design is unconventional for a supercruiser in several ways, it’s combination of firepower, survivability and fleet support capability make it more than able in almost all situations.

Spoiler:

This was somewhat unexpected; I must admit; I never intended {Project:Hierarchy} to become a supercruiser at all, much less the second-biggest one we have. Razz I based the design heavy off my flagship from the old days, the PCG Robin Olds- this was just supposed to be a heavily upscaled version. I didn’t realize the ship would be this big until I finished the saucer; it’s slightly longer and wider than the Robin Olds herself. Razz
 The saucer, I feel, is the ship’s primary limiting factor. While yes, the back of the engineering hull is just a box, the saucer is just… ugh. It’s way too thin, and I’m pretty sure I made it disproportionately long or something. Razz Then it was horribly plain, and now I’ve overcompensated by putting all the guns on it… are you starting to understand why I hate this thing? Razz I’d fix it, but honestly, I just want to be done with this ship. The being said, I’m definitely going to give this thing another go- IDK, might make that a contest or something; I hate it *that* much. Razz
  I’m much happier with the engineering hull. It actually evolved a bit more organically; In an attempt to better capture the feel of the original’s, I started alternately working from the back and front, and ended up building with two different styles. Though unintentional, I personally feel the result is quite nice. Razz The front does slope a bit too much for my liking, but I feel it’s counterbalanced by the hangar, epic profile view, and…. whatever those bulges on the side are. Razz The back end is kinda meh and boring, though I do like how the Marine/Shocktrooper barracks area rises up out of the bottom (though why I stuck another engineering hull under that, I have no idea- I do like how it looks in the aforementioned profile view, though Razz).
 One thing that’s bothered me for much of the ship’s design process is the nacelles- namely, that they significantly inflate the ship’s length. I believe about half*** of the 2,735-meter end length is nacelle, which was obviously quite problematic. Razz I ended up attaching a large weapon pod (with yet *another* hangar), which accounts for most of the aft-facing armaments. I quite like how this also came out; if I had to chose a second-favorite part of the ship, that would certainly be it.
 Interestingly, one of the biggest structural challenges was weaponization; there simply wasn’t a lot of room to put guns on (or, at least, not big guns I wanted Razz). Being a supercruiser, this was again a very big problem (and the primary reason for both do-overs). That being said, I believe I again overcompensated and ended up gluing on guns wherever they fit (My excuse is that everything else I have is apparently underpowered, so this balances it out). Razz

Stats:
-Classification: PCSC (Supercruiser)
-Role: Flagship, dreadnought, supercarrier, C&C vessel
-Armaments: 126 phaser banks, 100 quantum phaser banks, 95 turbolaser banks, 20 turbolaser batteries, 14 turbophaser banks, 14 turbophaser batteries, 90 standard torpedo tubes, 18 torpedo bays, 12 EMP torpedo tubes, 13 tricobalt torpedo tubes, 20 phaser cannons, 4 disruptor cannons, 16 subatomic disruptors, 68 plasma cannons, 12 dual heavy phaser turrets, 13 tetryon cannons, 22 gauss cannons, 30 railguns, 2 light autocannons, 18 heavy autocannons, 8 mass driver turrets, 14 quad antimatter cannon turrets, 10 ion cannons, 15 hailfire AA missile pods, 2 minelaying pods, 7 spectrum cannons, 6 isokinetic cannons, 2 VHC, 6 LSPC, 4 Bofor cannons, 1 Ragnarok cannon, 6 StarStriker SCM
-Shielding: Regenerative dual-layered; 182 Type 1a generators, 146 Type 1b generators, 110 Type 2 generators; Rated to 154.7 x 10^6 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 35 seconds | Secondary covariant array; temporal and phasic protection; 58 Type 1Λ generators, 18 Type 2Ψ reinforcement generators; Rated to 214.3 x 10^6 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 68 seconds | 2 standard Carbomite reflector arrays; phasic protection; Rated to 47.8 x 10^6 tJ/JC capacity each; ARP: 12 seconds | Capital-scale navigational deflector array; temporal protection; Rated to 29.8 x 10^6 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 4 seconds
-Armor: Triple-layered Tritanium-Neutronium-Tetraburnium alloy hull; fourth layer of superdense self-healing fortified Neutronium-Iron-Duranium alloy; Titanium-Duranium composite alloy weave throughout; reinforced Tetraburnium-Depleted Uranium superstructure; Tritanium-integrated Carbon-Nitrogen nanotubes in key areas | 27 inches ablative standard; 45.9 inches near key areas; .7-3 inches neutronium plating where necessary | ablative armor generators, DELTA organic armor, moderate nanorepair sytem
-Dimensions:
  -Length: 2735 meters
  -Beam: 724 meters
  -Height: 396 meters
-Impulse: impulse rating 9; acceleration rating 7, maneuver rating 11;
-Warp: 2x Astraeus-type nacelles; MCW: 9.68; MEW: 9.999 | Level 4 Quantum slipstream drive
-Sensory/Comms: Extended range, tachyon detection grid (long range), advanced FTL scanners, tunneling pulse scanners | advanced C&C systems, high-capacity targeting uplinks, High-broadband tactical fire and targeting control
-Crew: 747 officers; 1641 crew | 113 shuttle pilots; 752 fighter pilots; 28 yacht operators; 8 Pathfinder pilots; 95 dropship pilots
-Strike Craft: 27 Valkyrie shuttles, 18 Hercules heavy shuttles, 35 Charon assault shuttles, 15 Hermes planet-orbit shuttles | 12 squadrons Ambition interceptors, 5 squadrons Eagle fighter-bombers, 16 Barracuda COL bombers, 8 squadrons Stallion bombers, 2 squadrons Apollo heavy fighters | 22 Thunderbird infantry dropships, 17 Rok armor gunships, 3 squadrons Saber attack fighters | 2 Captain’s yachts, 3 Pathfinder slipstream scouts
-Ammo: 3830 standard torpedo casings, 6750 railgun shells, 12,160 heavy shells, 12,470 autocannon shells, 23,000 standard strike craft munitions
-Assault: 765 marines, 345 Shocktroopers | 22 Viper IFVs, 18 Dragoon light tanks, 15 Resolute tank destroyers, 6 Hog combat-engineering vehicles, 127 Tempest hardsuits, 45 Warden hardsuits, 20 Defender hardsuits
-Other: Phasic cloak, XX shader system

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjh8ae8m09iq3hk/PCG%20Thanatos%20PCSC.lxf?dl=0
(Note: EMP torpedoes got deleted somehow; no idea why/how)
Comments/criticism/questions/concerns are welcome, as always!

*well, happy-ish. I still feel it isn’t superb. Razz
**Fun fact: by coincidence, Jace named his 2-klick supership the Letum, which is Thanatos’ Romanization. Razz
***Keep in mind, though, that’s just a guesstimate. Razz

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : A picture was broken. =/)

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

Re: {Project:Hierarchy}

on Wed May 13, 2015 6:14 pm
I'm no Dino or Arik, so I can't give a big detailed reply about how awesome this ship is. I love the front and back pictures, they really show off the tri-dimensionality of this ship. It's really tall! I can't say more without underwhelming my already underwhelming praise. It's worth the wait. Smile
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Wed May 13, 2015 8:53 pm
What do you mean the saucer's too thin? This:
Spoiler:
is an amazing picture! Particularly of the saucer. I don't think it's too thin at all. The whole thing (minus the nacelle diameter) is beautiful. Quite like Dino's Indomitable though.

Last edited by Commander Ant on Wed May 13, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Wed May 13, 2015 8:57 pm
Talmid- Hey, short and sweet! Yes, it does have all three dimensions going for it. Razz TY!

Ant- IDK, I still say it looks way too thin on a ship this sized; but hey, if you like, fine with me. Razz And yeah, it does look like the Indomidable! TY!

Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : Koine Telos
Location : Blood & Thunder, Brachialis-type freighter, KT space

Character sheet
Faction: Other
Species: Other
View user profilehttp://nikolokaidon.tumblr.com

on Thu May 14, 2015 10:44 am
*jaw drops in amazement* It's so big... I'm still stunned about how big this thing is, not just in the actual size but the stat numbers as well. I can't really give an accurate reply of what I think except its bigness... the detail placements everywhere really help that feeling.
*realises I should really go into massive detail when making stats*
*attempts not to go and rewrite all past posts* Razz

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu May 14, 2015 1:42 pm
Niko: Yes, it's quite huge. That's somewhat the point. Razz And I know what you're talking about with rewriting stats; that's the main thing I want to do now that I'm done with this thing (that, and make all the changes to the ships I wanted to make). Razz

S-H: Yeah, this is my first real supercruiser. Can't say I plan on making a ton more any time soon (Also, GalCiv3 just launched today, sooo... Razz)

It's pretty easy to forget your sense of scale when it comes to Lego, so I get where you're coming from there; I, myself, didn't think it was quite that huge. Razz

Hmmm... I personally liked the nacelles... though I do see where you're coming from with the width. I'll remember that for the redesign. However, I must say I personally like the alternating style, so I'll probably stick with it.

Thanks a lot. Razz

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Fri May 15, 2015 1:16 am
First off, I would like to say that I really like that this was commissioned after Operation: Omega. That's a nice lil' touch there. Also, thanks to its size, definitely feasible that it has take this long to finally complete her. (Also, JSYK for everyone here, the dates are kind of in flux right now, so everything is like give or take 20-30 yearsish. The dates in the timeline are based roughly on the dates of the Aurthurian Legend. I've been doing intense research lately and I've discovered inaccuracies with the dates I had from then so everything is getting moved back a tiny bit. Should've be a HUGE issue though. It's not like I'm moving us back into the birth of the Federation era. Razz)

Also... all the references. Razz Ragnarok cannon, Bofor missiles. Razz

Honestly. This is too massive to organize my comments, so I'm just gonna let 'em go as I think of 'em. Razz

Whelp. In terms of combat. The Hades' Gate is completely dead.

Personally, I think both the primary hull and the engineering hull look great, both are the perfect width and thickness, I wouldn't change a thing about them. However... the neck connecting the saucer and engineering hull looks kinda thin, and I would say there's not enough space connecting the neck to the primary hull, that's the part that seems too fragile. If you look at the profile view, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Looks like it could easily just snap off by being rammed by another ship. Which in space combat is very likely, especially if the enemy has ships that are specifically for that.

I actually read the novel that you call a description on this, though I don't really have too much to comment on it, except that you are excellent at writing these descriptions, I don't think I'd ever be able to write a description so detailed. This goes to, perhaps even beyond Dino's level in regards to the description.

As far as the ship goes, I've made my points on how I feel about the saucer, neck, and engineering hull, the colorations are FANTASTIC. Black with earth blue, it's awesome! Great work, all the pods and bulges around the ship are great, I do feel like the main deflector there under the engineering hull needs a lil' work. Seems kinda on the small side for a ship of this size.

The pod section for the Ragnarok cannon looks awesome, don't touch that at all the only thing that's weird are the tan 1x1 cylinder plates... I'm guessing those are some kind of weapons system? That's what I assume about most oddly colored items on your ships. Razz

The nacelles do need work as you've stated.... the length feels right, but I think they need a bigger diameter, or you could always use a different shape similar to what S-H did on the Argo refit. Or, you could possibly go for a Prometheus class feel with the pyramid-ish shape. (on the collectors that is)

Another thing is the lack of deflectors. I'm seeing one, and it's really on the small side. something of this magnitude needs multiple. LARGE ones. I'd suggest using dishes with smaller ones under them. (see basically all of my ships for detailing)

And speaking of detailing, this ship has it... but not enough-ish. It's there, but it's mostly 1x1 cylinder plates. It's hard to do greebs on larger ships, but I'd say that something this size could use some sensor suites or random bulges, grates, and odd metallic pieces that serve no purposes.

At any rate... I think that's all I have to say for now.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Fri May 15, 2015 2:07 pm
J-red: TBH, I only loosely base the dates off your timeline; everything just happens way too quickly, IMHO. Personally, I feel that the whole story of the PCG-verse thus far should encompass at least fifteen or so years... which would mean that the date I provided is a couple years early. Derp. Razz

...Did I accidentally reference something? Because I didn't actually name it after anything... Razz

Yeah, Hades' Gate wouldn't stand a chance. Razz

The neck was my primary concern; definitely gonna take another crack at that, when I get around to it.

Really? I just sort of go over the various basic points one by one... still, glad you like it. Razz

FINALLY. SOMEONE. LIKES. THE STRIPES. (And yeah, dark grey/earth blue is my new color scheme for PECF ships Razz).

Good assumption to make. Razz Yeah, it's the quantum phasers. There's a lot of them. Razz

Again, I actually like the nacelles Razz; still, if everyone says they need work, I'll look into improvements.

There's another two corbomite reflectors- those are the yellow round 2x2 plates with the titanium stud in the center. Yes, they're even smaller than the primary one. Razz The deflector system is another thing that needs work; something else I'll revisit later. Razz

Mmmmm, yes, the greebling. I sorta gave up on it, NGL; it's extremely annoying, you see. Razz Added to the refit wishlist!

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat May 16, 2015 5:53 pm
Whoa.

That. Is. AWESOME.

This has to be your very best ship ever. We've waited eons for it, and it's quite clear to me that the wait was well worth it! This is a beautifully designed ship. Similar to the Indomitable, yet obviously unique in its own way. Love the design, detail, and color scheming. You put a lot of thought and time into this, and it's certainly paid off.

The only thing I would suggest is to make the connection point between the saucer and the main bulk of the ship a little thicker. It looks too thin IMO, but that could be because I am thinking in gravity-terms and am neglecting that there is no gravity in space to weigh things down. Razz

Other than that, off the top of my head I wouldn't suggest anything else to make this ship better. Super job!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun May 17, 2015 10:13 am
I find myself having difficultly mustering words to describe my (VERY positive) emotions about this ship... I had to give it a few days to sink in before commenting at all. 

This is HUGE. 

We now see why the Hades' Gate is classified as a "light" dreadnought. 

No, the HG couldn't pull off a win here on a one-on-one brawl. But I think she would hold up surprisingly well, for a while, given that she is more structurally sound, and I get the impression that she has significantly heavier armor (or is at least bulkier with more internal volume by meter of length.) Of course, this thing has Neutronium, so bulk, structural rigidity, and armor thickness, are all pretty much moot points. Razz 
Also, this monster has a MUCH meaner punch. 
I wonder if Arik has plans for how the roleplay ends.... because the Hades' Gate getting POUNDED by this thing would make a pretty AWESOME ending (of course, it could survive and be rebuilt later at EXTREME cost, just because it's the HG, and is so feared.) 

Okay... on to the ship itself here... this was worth the wait! 

I too, feel that the neck needs to be MUCH larger, connecting to FAR more of the saucer. 

I believe that the nacelles need double the current amount of pylon connection to the engineering hull. 

The color scheme is excellent IMO. 

The nacelles could use bulking up. You might be able to lengthen them (not increasing the total length of the ship, just the how close they come to the saucer.)

Nav-deflectors do feel small. 

The Ragnarok cannon doesn't not have direct line-of-sight forward, unless you want to destroy your bridge every time you fire your main weapon. Razz Or is it an aft weapon? Did I somehow miss that? Now I'm feeling foolish. Razz 

On to the ideas. 

The design concept/purpose is excellent, however, I suspect you underestimate the C&C abilities of your average supercruiser. Razz That said, I love the idea behind this thing, so long as she can hold her own in extended battles.

This thing is TERRIFYING. 

You have done a SPECTACULAR job on this ship. WELL DONE!!!! 

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm
Scare: Yeah, that was the point I was most worried about. Razz TY!

Dino: YES. That would be an epic ending (hint, hint, Arik). Razz

Yes, I was worried about the neck connection, as I mentioned before. Razz

"double the current amount of pylon connection"... You mean make the current ones thicker? Or have twice as many? Razz

Yay, I got a good color scheme! Razz

Mmmm, most people have already mentioned the nacelle bulkiness; I'll work on it.

Yes. They are. Razz

Oh, yeah... I kinda assumed there was this tachyon emitter or something further down the hull, which would shoot another beam or something, and that the proper Ragnarok beam wouldn't react with matter until to two intersected and reacted... or something. Still need to get this tech figured out. Razz Yes, mounting an aft superweapon on a ship that effectively can't turn is a tad pointless. Razz

The subtext isn't "Mortem Incarnatus" for nothing, Dino. Razz

TY! Razz

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum