Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

PSS Newton, Mk. II

on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:46 pm
Well, during my brief period of inactivity on this site, I was making an Excelsior-class starship that was more or less official scale. I think I came close, but unfortunately, I don't know how long an Excelsior should be, exactly.

Please tell me what you think of this ship: honestly. If you think it's rotten, please say "it's rotten." Razz If you think it's fair, please say "it's fair." Well, you get the idea. Wink

Pics:
Spoiler:
[img][/img]

Spoiler:
[img][/img]

Spoiler:
[img][/img]

Spoiler:
[img][/img]

Alongside J-red's old Constitution Class (for scale accuracy)
Spoiler:
[img][/img]

Alongside J-red's old Excelsior Class (for class accuracy)
Spoiler:
[img][/img]

This ship is dedicated to Jesus Christ. Very Happy

Will post specs later...

God bless,
~Scare~

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

Re: PSS Newton, Mk. II

on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:18 pm
The Excelsior class is 467 meters.

First let me say, NICE SNOT saucer! Very Happy Now, as to quality, being completely honest. It is a pretty good frame that could use some work. I've never been good at the Excelsior, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help... but first of all, it could use some "smoothing" of various areas. Including the front of the engineering hull, the outer sides of the nacelle pylons, and that's really all I can tell from the pictures. Razz

Next, the nacelles are too thin. (top to bottom that is.) The nacelle pylons are too thick from the front. And the saucer is to thin from the side... and I really NO idea how to improve a SNOT saucer's thickness without doubling it... One thing that might help some (and is missing) is the detailing on the bottom of the saucer... I have no idea what the round structure seen on the bottom middle of Fed ship saucers is for... but the Excelsior is supposed to have it.

Finally, she's begging for detail... exactly what accurate details can be added to the simplistic Fed ship are beyond me... but she needs something to make her stand out.. I suggest some light blue accents

But aside from these (mostly) easily correctable issues, she's got some SERIOUS potential!

The truth is that your very best ships are unorthodox, raptor like vessels that are ready to swoop in and carry off enemies by talon or by phaser. Not to say that you can't build Federation ships, just that you're really good at the winged war-cruisers... Wink That.. and we haven't really been building for a while... but hey, better again then never? Razz

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 pm
Thickening a SNOT hull is east, use some plates. It's really easy to do actually.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:56 pm
@Dino: Thanks for your insight! Man, I really have a hard time with these orthodox vessels, but I'm DETERMINED to master the Excelsior! Wink

I really appreciate the actual length dimension you gave me. That will help me make an Excelsior to-scale.

I don't know what to do as far as making some of the rough edges smoother. Unless one uses LU LDD, there's really not a whole lot of pieces that can smooth things out. Or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

I'll see what I can do about thickening the saucer. J-red's suggestion was pretty good (I think you gave a similar suggestion as well).

As far as the nacelles, I was afraid they would be too thin. I actually started with some wider ones, but they looked weird to me. Maybe that's because I was comparing too much with J-red's Excelsior.

@J-red: Thanks for the suggestion! I will probably end up doing that.

All in all, gentlemen, I think I have some more work to do. Razz But I really do appreciate your constructive criticism. Honestly, I know very little about canon ships, so it is vital for me to receive advice from chaps like you who have a much better idea of how things work. I will start editing the Newton this week, I hope. Smile

God bless,
~Scare~

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:15 pm
This could be an Excelsior based ship... if you don't end up using this frame for your actual excelsior... it's still really cool...  hint hint. Razz 

What I meant by the nacelles is that they are to thin from top to bottom, although they're a tad narrow from left to right, 3 studs wide would be too much.. I suggest (if doing an Excelsior-based ship) making the nacelles longer to compensate.

As to advice... so long as I can find things wrong with your ships and you take it as constructive, I'm happy! Razz(COMPLETELY Just Kidding) I'm happy to share what I know (or more like, have to look up Razz)

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum