Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

The Republican Rebellion Empty The Republican Rebellion

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:54 pm
The Republican Rebellion
    Shortly after the Imperial Reformation, which created institutions such as the Council of Lord-Generals and the Imperial Military, a number of factions throughout the Imperium revolted in the Republican Rebellion, calling for the destruction of the relatively new government and the creation of a pure republic. A number of factors contributed to this uprising, including the centralization of power, the dramatic expansion of military operations, and the creation of COI. Large portions of worlds and even entire planets joined the revolution, hoping to topple the Imperium by neutralizing government assets, including government buildings, garrisons, and military bases. Hundreds of insurgency groups were formed, drawing units from the militias, military defectors, the general citizenry, and a handful of forward-minded corporate armies. The rebels attacked Imperial soldiers and military installations across the Imperium, and captured or burned thousands of government offices and administrative facilities, generating a period of unrest which lasted for nearly a decade.
    The Imperial response to the crisis, under the leadership of the second Imperial Chancellor Cecilius Calvert, was intended to show strength and legitimacy in the government. The Imperial Military, though it had been worn down significantly through the Formation War, had emerged from that conflict with a core of battle-hardened veterans and a set of experienced officers, as well as a number of well-trained, well-equipped Special Operations groups, including the secretive COI-5. This military was deployed to rebellious worlds with orders to destroy and root out the insurgencies, and was given essentially free reign to do so. This resulted in a series of disasters for the Imperium: numerous times in a matter of weeks, overeager soldiers fired upon unarmed crowds or assassinated the wrong targets, resulting in a widespread public outcry against domestic military intervention. The Imperial leadership, fearful of aggravating the citizenry into further action against the government, timidly rolled back the military operations, hushing up the incidents as best as possible. The military was then ordered to pursue a less public strategy against the rebels, going after key leadership and infrastructure targets and seeking, short, decisive battles rather than capturing and occupying rebel-held territory for long periods of time.
This new strategy did little to stop the advance of the various insurgency groups or to quell the growing unrest which was beginning to affect other aspects of the Imperium, such as economic patterns and international standing. The elimination of leadership did, however, ensure that the rebels were, in the long term, unable to set up lasting, stable governments as the leaders who would lead the formation and sustainment of such governments were assassinated by Imperial operators. Nevertheless, the rebellions continued to spread in the short term, facing the Imperial leadership with a daunting task: destroy the revolution without either oppressing the people it was meant to protect or throwing the Imperium into another period of chaos, in both cases destroying itself in the process. It was a task which, unfortunately, had no magic solution. The Imperium continued to take a middle stance on the conflict, eliminating infrastructure and important personnel and deploying troops in force where it was possible to do so discretely, while abstaining from long-term occupations or any reprisals against citizens. This led to a long, drawn-out conflict which devastated infrastructure and the economy.
    Ironically, the rebellions which were meant to topple the new central government in fact ensured its survival and expansion. While the war caused local civil institutions to be weakened or neutralized entirely, the Imperial Military and Council of Lord-Generals grew substantially in power as wartime powers and necessary precautions were continually added to the already-massive authority of the central government. In addition, federal organizations such as COI and the Department of the Militia were honed into efficient, effective tools of the state, with powers and capabilities beyond those of any other Imperial institutions. COI-5 was carefully cultivated under the Imperial Chancellor, who expanded it greatly and gave it extensive abilities, both within the government and in the field. The cautious, unsteady government which had been formed through the Imperial Reformation had been forged into a strong, steady power for stability by the official end of the Republican Rebellion.
The rebellion was officially declared over after the last major insurgent holdout was taken after an extensive series of hardline blockades on rebel-held areas and a breakthrough in human intelligence operations which lead to the fracturing of a number of revolutionary armies. Though the war is technically won, the Rebellion lives on in a network of small guerilla and terrorist organizations which wage a largely secret war against the Imperial military and intelligence services to this day. While many bemoan the decade-long period of violence which is still making felt its repercussions, the fact remains that, without the Republican Rebellion, the government and military which guard the Imperium today would not exist in their present forms.

AUTHOR'S NOTES
    This is a piece that I dug up from my various unfinished MSI-related files. I thought it might work as a part of the Imperium's history, so I polished it off and posted it. This is preliminary and experimental, and might end up getting changed or entirely removed if we decide it doesn't fit. Feel free to post your thoughts!
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space

The Republican Rebellion Empty Re: The Republican Rebellion

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:01 pm
Well, I must say I really like this. Razz

I've always thought of the MSI as being somewhat non-goodguy-ish. Not really evil or corrupt or anything, but not the most perfect, do-everything-flawlessly-morally faction either. And waging a partly-secret war against militant rebellions made up of the Imperium's own citizens kinda adds to that.

Aaaand... well, it's kinda fun. Razz The MSI struggling to keep parts of its own population in check adds a bit of realism, and should make for some much more interesting story material too. It also reminds me yet again of the British Empire (which is generally a good thing in my opinion Razz) and the problems it had with some of its colonies.

Do you mind if I do a thing or two with COI? I've been spending too much time looking at Lego military dios and have an idea or two for some nifty-ish stuff. Razz

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm
Yeah, that was my idea, too. The Imperial government tends to be a bit more authoritarian and centralized than, say, the Federation, which I think lends to the sort-of-rivalry between the two.

Feel free to use COI. It's a common government resource, after all. Razz
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum