Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

PCG Vindex

on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:18 pm
This is one that’s been sitting here for a looooong time. Razz For those of you not in-the-know (or just rusty), the VIndex is my flagship in the SoL RP (and shaping up to be my flagship for at least the beginning of the Cor Redor RP). As I’m sure you can imagine, the fact that this thing isn’t uploaded yet, despite being a major ship in both, is quite problematic. Razz After this, the only ship in SoL that I still need to upload would be the Harmony-class (PCG Unity); but first things first. Razz

PCG Vindex:

Overview:
   The Sanctus-class battleship was a popular design of heavy combat vessel commonly seen amongst PCG fleets beginning in 2600. It was well liked due to its comparative ease of upkeep and combat proficiency- but for some, it’s expansive hangar facilities were of far greater import. Incorporated to allow the Sanctus to defend itself against multiple kinds of threats with relative ease, several fleet officers viewed the ship as prime candidate for conversion into a heavy tactical carrier. Though the idea achieved no real progress, it did capture the attention of a then-Lieutenant-Commander Michael R. Slokachev, second-in-command of Special Assault Battlegroup 2 (better known as Jupiter Fleet). In one of his first forays into the world of diplomacy and bureaucracy, Slokachev successfully petitioned the PCG council to have a Sanctus-class damaged seemingly beyond repair -the PCG Nostre- transferred to Jupiter fleet’s Experimental Design Division for reconstruction.
   Recommissioned the Vindex, the ship was redesigned as an experimental carrier-battleship: a vessel that could combine staying power, offensive capability, and extensive strike craft capacity, resulting in one that could be simultaneously versatile and powerful. However, the venture proved fruitless; the design wrestled with power and structural issues throughout it’s entire development, forcing cancellation long before the refit could be completed. The ship festered in it’s drydock for over a year; it was not until the promoted Slokachev, in need of a new flagship, decided to revisit the project. He dumped large amounts of resources to again repurpose the vessel- this time as a carrier-artillery-command vessel hybrid, avoiding the earlier mistake of combining two non-complementary roles. Though some have since questioned the economy of such a decision, none can deny that the fruits of his labor resulted in an effective jack-of-all-trades that still maintained parity in key areas.

Design History and Details:
   The PCG Nostre has been attached to the 8th attack squadron, 3rd flotilla, operating out of Sorland Station, wherein it served as the squadron flagship. The 8th, in conjunction with the 2nd and 4th squadrons and a small carrier strike force, had been assigned the duty of assaulting a large pirate redoubt that had recently become a haven for raiders attacking an increasingly profitable dilithium route nearby. The battle quickly became messy, with tactical errors on both sides; during the ensuing chaos, an unidentified pirate Sumali heavy frigate collided with the Nostre’s center mass, disabling her comms systems and heavily damaging critical systems. Bereft of command and fire support, the 8th’s remaining elements beat a hasty retreat, leaving their flagship open to direct assault by the main hostile armada. Though the more-successful 4th was able to drive the marauders back, the Nostre had already suffered a critical warp core breach; her captain deemed the ship unsalvageable and ordered her abandoned once all remaining warp cores were ejected. It was in this state she was found in the aftermath of the conflict, requiring the combined work of two salvage frigates and four tugs to return her to port. An official report was delivered to the region’s central command a week later, declaring the vessel completely unfit for duty and recommended she be scrapped.
   It was then Lieutenant-Commander Slokachev heard of the Nostre’s plight. Jupiter Fleet had been operating in the sector as part of a larger war against the Sons of Blackbeard pirate cartel; while at one of the stations operating as a strategic command post, he overheard two officers discussing the stricken vessel and investigated himself. The Lieutenant Commander had already become enamored with the “battleship-carrier” hybrid idea -to the point where he had begun to draw up the technical details of what such a design would need- but he lacked an adequate testbed for them. Applying directly to the Council, Slokachev argued that his plan was the only real alternative for the ship, outside of scrapping it entirely. Despite some initial resistance, the Council quickly acquiesced; the hull was moved to a more secure location, as the design team came together to work out the specifics.
   However, the subsequent design proved highly ineffective for a number of reasons- not the least being the optimal shield harmonics conflicting with the frequency of the primary weapons, resulting in both the offensive and defensive systems being hugely power-inefficient. In addition, the vessel’s large hangar bays reduced overall structural integrity, which further worsened the total energy drain by stressing the structural integrity fields while simultaneously decreasing total hull strength. The design was declared a failure before it could even be completed; it’s half-remodeled skeleton sat idly in drydock, with no one quite sure what to do with it.
   Providence, however, seemed determined for the shp to once again soar the heavens. When Commander Slokachev was promoted to Commander and commodore-in-chief of SAB2, he found himself in somewhat of a bind: his old flagship, the Robin Olds had been critically damaged by an ambush in the Hugarah nebula; the fleet’s traditional flagship, the Regnator, was little more than an ancient hulk, requiring a total gutting and renovation; {Project:Hierarchy}, his pet project, wouldn’t be complete for another year and a half at the very least. Fresh out of options, Slokachev oversaw yet another design revision of the Vindex- this time, basing it off the structure’ preexisting strengths.
   Remembering the earlier failed experiment, the new design project generally eschewed ship-to-ship combat proficiency, instead focusing on the ship’s carrier role and longer-range weaponry. Because it was categorized as a flagship, the “Vindex 2.0” had much greater funding and technology available for it; this was quickly capitalized on by  the design team, who practically redesigned the entire support structure: replacing the old duranium-based skeletal model with a helix-type structure made of a new Vanadium-Duranium composite- the gold standard for capital-sized indirect-combat vessels. This largely mitigated the structural instability caused by the expanded hangar capacity, allowing the vessel to be fitted with several fixed spinal-mounted artillery weapons. Much of the remaining space was then dedicated to either ammo storage or C&C systems, providing the vessel with ample amounts of both.
   Interestingly, however, while the helical support structure provided excellent support for second-line vessels, it was often lacking in terms of shock-absorbency or in the ability to sustain heavy fire- and it was rarely used on frontline combat vessels accordingly. As a result, heavy emphasis was placed on the new regenerative shields; the design team elected to demphasise armor on the basis that the relatively low hull combat strength would render the point moot. However, this shielding-emphasis would soon cause major issues with the beast that had slain the original Vindex: lack of power
  The renovation of the shielding system, the hi-broadband C&C comms system, and the heavy energy weaponry, all taxed the ship’s powerplants far beyond what they were designed to sustain; engineers working on the project were forced to get creative. Seeing as the vessel already lacked warp cores, due to the catastrophic failures that put the ship in this position, the designers took the chance to remake much of the power grid- the old system of one primary tetradirectional core and four supplementary bidirectional ejectable cores was discarded and replaced with a system of three hexadirectional cores. This, combined with further-optimized weapon refrequencing and upgraded EPS conduits, mainly solved the power issues- though some captains later reported having to divert power from the shields to ensure the comms link stayed up during particularly command-intensive situations.

Service History:
   The Vindex’s maiden voyage began on July 27th, 2603, from Yotta Primarus Drydock; it proved relatively nondescript, with most system’s efficiency and effectiveness ratings being as predicted, within the margin of error. After that, the vessel was quickly crewed and rushed to the front, where it served as Jupiter Fleet’s flagship throughout much of the Privateer Wars. The  Vindex proved to be surprisingly effective in close-range ship-to-ship combat; though sure to lose against proper enemy capital vessels, it was more than a match for any pirate vessel it came across.
   As the conflict was winding down, the Vindex was once again pulled from service- as were many of Jupiter Fleet’s support vessels. The fleet’s doctrine had changed; Mars Fleet would now be responsible for much of the heavy assault roles. Jupiter was to be more covert- nearly every vessel was to be equipped with some form of stealth system, and the Vindex was no exception. After a brief stint in drydock, the ship emerged with a new color scheme, a revamped weapon layout, and a proper cloaking device and shader system.
  It was not until: the Subversion War, however, that the Vindex became famous as the flagship of Acting Commandant Wrightshede. She would later go on to further glory as one of the first vessels to respond to the First Cor Redor Incursion- but details on these events are out of the scope of this report.

Summary:
   The PCG Vindex is a unique carrier/artillery ship/command ship hybrid, combining the three roles into a single effective package. True to it’s roots in the Sanctus-class of battleships, however, the ship retains moderate close-range combat capability, making it a versatile and dangerous foe indeed.

Spoiler:

Comparison:

Designer’s Notes:
   So there’s a very slight chance I overdid the phaser count- veeeeeery sliiiiiiiiiiightly. Razz Seriously, though, I think I did well on the stats this time. Really. Razz
   This is my rendition of the Sanctus-class; recall Scare gave one to each regular PCG member, which is what I was at the time (though I’m subcouncil now, and he gave five to them… HMMMMM…. Razz). I changed the color scheme back to the titanium-metallic with gunmetal highlights it was before (which I prefered) long before I made that my standard color scheme- though seeing how similar it was anyway, I decided to add my usually navy-blue too. Razz Wings have been angled upwards slightly for the more aggressive look, nacelles have been changed to one of my standard designs, and the saucer has been filled in a little; other than that, not much different. Razz
  Interestingly, there wasn’t much to add to service history; it’s currently my flagship in two RPs, so you’d think there would be plenty to say, but evidently not. Razz

Stats:
-Classification: PXAC (Pheonix Experimental Artillery-Carrier)
-Role: Carrier, tactical carrier, artillery ship, command ship
-Armaments: 62 phaser banks, 34 quantum phasers, 2 turbophaser batteries, 32 torpedo tubes, 6 phaser cannons, 2 disruptor cannons, 10 railguns, 6 tetryon cannons, 4 dual phaser cannon turrets, 22 plasma cannons, 4 gauss cannons, 4 Antimatter burst cannons, 2 subatomic disruptors, 4 isokinetic cannons, 4 spectrum cannons, 2 LAPfs, 2 Bofors, 2 ion cannons, 6 tricobalt torpedoes, 2 minelaying pods, 4 cruise missile tubes, 6 Archer hailfire missile pods
-Dimensions:
  • Length: 992 meters
   • Beam: 740 meters
   • Draft: 133 meters
  • Mass: 5,595,000 metric tons
-Shielding:
  • Regenerative dual-layered; 72 Type 1a generators, 48 Type 1b generators, 44 Type 2 generators; Rated to 69 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 24.5 seconds
  • Standard Light Capital-Scale Deflector Array; Phasic and temporal protection; Rated to 11 tJ/JC capacity; ARP: 6 seconds
-Armor/Hull:
   • Triple-layered Tritanium-Neutronium-Tetraburnium alloy hull
   • Titanium-Duranium composite alloy weave throughout
  • Reinforced Vanadium-Duranium composite helical superstructure
  • 7.95" ablative standard; 13.3" ablative near key areas
  • .4-.8 inches neutronium near bridge, warp core, munitions storage, etc.
-Impulse: 2x hyperpulse engines
   • Impulse rating 13
   • Acceleration rating 14
  • Maneuver rating 11
-FTL: 2x Deliverance nacelles
   • MCW: 8.86
   • MEW: 9.94
  • Level 3 Quantum Slipstream Drive
-Sensory/Comms:
  • Advanced long-range sensor array; specially-designed fire-control sensors, with enhanced target resolution and acquisition; tachyon detection grid, moderate range
  • Advanced high-bandwidth C&C channels; secure uplink to local and strategic HQ
-Crew:
  • 198 officers, 594 crew
  • 18 shuttle pilots, 244 strike craft pilots, 20 covert ops pilots, 10 dropship pilots
-Strike Craft:
  • 11 Valkyrie shuttles, 2 Hercules heavy shuttles
  •  5 squadrons Eagle fighter-bombers, 2 squadrons Ambition interceptors, 3 squadrons Stallion bombers
  • 4 Thunderbird Infantry dropships, 2 Rok Armor gunships
  • 2 Yersinia stealth dropships, 8 Knight stealth fighters
-Ammo: 1,390 standard torpedo casings, 9,200 strike craft munitions, 2,250 railgun shells, 1,280 heavy shells
-Assault:
  • 304 marines, 16 commandos
  • 46 Tempest hardsuits, 8 Warden hardsuits, 6 Excalibur tankettes
-Other: Cloaking device, XX shader, DELTA organic armor

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uculec6b5jrbgf/PCG%20Vindex%20PXAC.lxf?dl=0

Comments/criticism/questions/concerns are welcome, as always!

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spacing)

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

Re: PCG Vindex

on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:06 pm
For some reason the name made me think of tissues. o.O

The Vindex is beautiful! The original SNOT from the Sanctus provides a good layer of thickness and glossy aesthetics to the body, and the new shape looks very PCG, it looks right, but also more aggressive and "fighter"y. The upswept wings give it less height than the Sanctus, which is a nice difference, if I say improvement it would undermine the already good sanctus, Razz and the long, backswept warp nacelles give it an appearance of speediness. I like how you narrowed the front "window" or "deflector dish", or turned it into a deflector dish, or just I like that it's narrower and that the split forks angle out and then in, it adds more aggressiveness I think.

Ugh, I'm a Fed so I miss out on getting to refit all the awesome ships. Razz Then again I'm not good at refitting awesome ships, so it's probably for the best.

I love this refit! Very Happy
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 pm
The whole thing seems a little busy, maybe recolor some of the stuff that's not the dark or silver grey or the blue, so it blends in a bit more. Other than that I can't really complain overly much, it just looks messy and less slick. And I like your weaponization, the bigger the fangs the better! Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:06 pm
Talmid- Toilet paper, you say? Shocked

Yeah, "aggressive fighter-y" was the look I was going for; glad to hear it worked out. Razz And yeah, I basically removed the 80-meter-or-however-long-it-was bridge, and added a deflector under it. Razz

I think you should give yourself more credit; the Zephyr came out pretty well, IMO. Razz

Thanks!

Ant- Most of the offending studs are likely weapons, and I insist on having each weapon represented on the model; it's come up before, and there isn't really much I can do about it. Razz

And yes, bigger sticks usual equals better sticks. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:09 pm
I wasn't talking about studs so much (I'm one of the few that doesn't mind a studded ship) so much as you have just about every color of the rainbow on it somewhere, there's orange and yellow studs, some green and alot of red, I just think it would help remove the cluttering if you recolored them and/or removed/changed some of the non-weapon detailing to flow better with the ship.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:08 pm
@Tetra: Vindex, Kleenex. Razz

Also... at first I was thinking "Wow this looks so much like a Scarecrow ship!" then I realized. Razz
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:49 pm
Ant: Urrrgh, but that sounds like woooork...

Talmid: In that case, it should be a window-cleaner; it's only one letter away from "Windex". Razz

Yeaaah, there'd be a reason for that... Razz

Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:27 pm
Tetra: "I am de Vindo Viper, here to Vipe your Vindos vit Vindex"... Razz (Sorry, kinda spammish, but I couldn't resist Razz )

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS
View user profile

on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:27 am
I really like the front end of the ship. However, I think you should smooth out the stern and go with SNOT for the wings. The warp nacelles are beautiful. Very Happy
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:39 pm
Arik: Razz

PXR: I would, but that also sounds like work I wanted to keep it close to the original design. Razz Thanks!

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 pm
Wow, GREAT spinoff of the Sanctus! (You're scaring me with your ability to improve my ships. Razz )

Love the new color scheme and the beefed-up saucer. Your improvements on the detailing (especially the weapons design) are definitely fitting. I like the way you upturned the wings as well: it does give it a more aggressive appearance. I also like your nacelle design.

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:02 pm
...yes, I have modified a fair few of your designs, haven't I? Hmmm...

Yeah, I was going for thew whole offensive Bird-of-prey style; not to brag, but I quite like the result myself. Razz

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum