Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : Koine Telos
Location : Blood & Thunder, Brachialis-type freighter, KT space

Character sheet
Faction: Other
Species: Other
View user profilehttp://nikolokaidon.tumblr.com

Re: PCG RPG - The Demo!

on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 pm
Interesting stuff, especially the combat. I look forward to seeing the final results.

Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:48 pm
First thing I noticed about the new version was that you trimmed off a lot of the fat in the extra files. The initial download is only 101 megs. Nice.

Nice work with everything! The new tilesets look excellent! The combat system works very well, I'm assuming our INT stat will charge faster later on after leveling up more? Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to use the Photon Torpedo Barrage. The ships look really good in the space mode, Will helping the Fawkes dock be part of the game? If so that might be a nice little optional sidequest to earn some kind of teamwork points or... somethin'....

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 pm
Suddenly, a wild pirate frigate appears. Razz  Sorta like the combat system, sorta don't. Trying to use special things that affect enemy's attack or defense take too much time compared to total damage dealt as they're still dealing damage while you employ those methods, and they've often recovered by the time you're ready to take advantage of it. Just something I noticed after playing the simulator a bit. Also, what about a potential scan on the ship to tell things like HP maximum, current HP, weapons at it's disposal, or something? The scan doesn't necessarily have to reveal all those things, maybe it could get better as you progress and get better equipment. Also, will it be possible to control multiple ships at once or is that not something you were planning on doing farther down the line?

The new tilesets are nice, much better than what was there before.

Also, what about a potential real-time combat system when flying around in your ship outside of the station? Or is that outside the scope of this project/too complicated?

Also, how is MP and HP supposed to be generated? (short of the waste-a-turn heal 12HP ability I say wasted because the net damage between the two ships makes it worthless. You have to stay ahead of the enemy in damage dealt as you both work the other down to zero, so where-as you could take him down another 50-ish HP with a phaser attack and remain equal or slightly ahead on the race-to-zero, if you instead waste a turn healing 12 hp, his next attack is net less damage (50ish HP - 12 = 42ish HP damage) but he still dealt 42ish damage to your zero for that round, meaning he is now farther ahead than you are in the race-to-zero. This renders the 12HP heal capability worthless. Perhaps a regenerate X amount of HP per turn for the next X turns automatically, and then continuing to shoot during the rest of the X number of turns, with the whole deal costing more MP/INT would be better.

Also, is it possible to lose INT in a fight or do you always gain +5 at the end of every move? Also, I question needing "initiative" to be able to fire torpedoes. I might not have the initiative in a fight but I can still fire all weapons. Maybe extra MP for use that turn for whichever side as the greater initiative, with a greater amount of extra MP with a greater difference between the two ship's INT?

Or does INT not even stand for initiative? Razz

EDIT: Now that Johnnyred has kindly pointed out to my lesser advanced brain that INT stands for intelligence it makes more sense, so I therefore move for adding initiative as a game feature with it's benefit being more MP. Very Happy

So far it looks pretty good, I know I threw some advanced ideas out there but it's just ideas for down the road. The current demo looks good. Great to see the progress. Very Happy  Also, I liked the blue title screen menu better than the red. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:12 pm
So I've recently gotten back ad played the demo. Not much to do, but it's pre-Alpha- and considering I had no idea there was even a chance for us to have a game before, I'm pretty hyped. Razz

Down to business. First of all, from what I can tell, there's no settings or anything. This is fine, considering how early it is, but still. Secondly, I'm noticing a very strong Final Fantasy vibe; judging by how J-red's class appears to be "Novice captain", I'm guessing FF4 specifically (Since I assume the class is fixed like in that game). That being said, I'm completely unfamiliar with the FF series outside of LPs of 6, 7, 12, and the Tactics remake (as well as part of FF4), so I could be completely wrong in that regard. Razz Still, if possible, I'd like to make a request for something similar to the FF:Tactics class system (I believe FF10 had it too), where you select a certain class for each character. leveling up a character in a class unlocks further classes; for example, becoming a Carrier Commander might require being a Lvl.8 Engineer and Lvl.3 Tactician. This evolves into a class-tree of sorts, with some distinct lines, or sub-trees; based on what J-red said in the chat, I'd guess those would be Diplomacy, Stealth, And Tanking (Defense?). I can weigh in more, but I don't want to get carried away on a potentially-impractical idea. Razz

Again, I'm not familiar with the scope of this project, so maybe that's all out of reach; I just sorta wanted to get that all out there. Amazing job, either way! Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:47 pm
Well, S-H, you just bought your GalCiv3-self some time- I was about to Start cracking skulls again, but now I evidently have some beta-testing to do (also I just got battleship hulls and I want to get some capital ships on the field). Razz

Will edit with beta impressions once I'm done.

EDIT: OK, first bug report: Game crashes every time I go into combat, says it can't find a certain "Graphics/battleback2/Darkspace" or something like that. I did some investigating; there wasn't any battleback2 in the Graphics folder. =/ I tried manually creating a battleback2 and darkspace, which has elicited further crashing on account that it can't find the original file. Will try making a copy and putting one in both.

EDIT2: Manually added DarkSpace back into battlebacks1, kept the file in battlebacks 2; combat's working fine now. Razz

EDIT3: Well, after I did all that, the game went off pretty well. Razz The one thing I will say: When it came time to defend the station in space, all my database spells disappeared on Mighty and Flipz. I didn't stop or reload at any point; they were just gone. J-red, who I gave Sons of Mercy and Miracle Worker to, seemed to still have his. Databases still worked afterwords -I could still give everyone Fear No Evil, from all the extra Database Vs I had- but the ones I put on Flipz and Might were gone. No idea why.

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:24 pm
Game crashes if you attempt to look out the window at the dreadnaught. Razz

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:27 pm
S-H: No prob. Wink

J-red: Uhh... I didn't get that. Razz

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:25 pm
(Pokemon with spaceships would be kinda cool... but only if we had a couple... and -oh, screw it, I just want an RTS. I have a one-track mind. Razz )

TBH, the three-paths idea actually sounds pretty cool; I loike the sound of multiple endings, even if it's just a line or two of dialogue changing. Razz Excited to see how to story (and gameplay) turn out. Wink

Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:40 pm
Whoo dear. Personally, I find multiple-ending games both exciting and terrifying. Exciting because it's makes for a game that's new and exciting even when you play it multiple times.

...Terrifying because now I gotta play it multiple times just to try out all the endings. Razz

Honestly, I applaud your whole effort. I can't even begin to imagine making a game, period, let alone doing it as quickly and well as you. Razz Personally I think it'll be incredible even if it turned out badly. But knowing you, there's no way in this universe or any theoretical parallel alternate realities that could possibly happen.

Now hurry and finish already! You've got a forum full of impatient J-Red wannabes waiting on you! Mad Razz

High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm
Yeah, well, they said WWI would be over by Christmas as well.

If this is just your first game, it doesn't matter that it's an amateur product. Anything is good for a first game, and constantly building your skills up is what is necessary. Once this one is done, perhaps it would be wise to rest up and then get to work on a second game, using what you've learned in addition to a few new elements. Having a small team might be beneficial as well.
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 pm
Ooooh, Second game? I totally vote Borg Spectres for the main villain/focus of the plot. Razz

Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:33 pm
Did someone say sequel? Because as was already suggested, Fires of War would make an excellent game. I'd like to do PCG I or II... but unfortunately, I don't think those'd translate too well into a game...

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:44 pm
The path of anarchy? I like the sound of that. Razz I'm totally using that path. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum