Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

Star Lancers/Starquest Vehicle Classifications

on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:50 pm
So some of you may be familiar with my PACS classification system, which is essentially a hyper-specific set of starship classifications. Razz Well, I've recently been thinking, and I've come up with a few ideas on the classification of non-SDF units- namely vehicles and starfighters. Without further ado, here they are:

Starfighter classifications (Star Lancers):
The Star Lancers' craft would follow a fairly formulaic setup: X-AYz. In this, X is a one-letter symbol for an overarching group- Fighters (F), Bombers (B), Transports (T), or Utility craft (U); A would be some random number; Y would be one to three letters spelling out the fighter's more specific role (so a stealth interceptor's Y could be something like SI); z would be the specific variant, starting at "a" and advancing one letter for each iteration.

To take the example of the above interceptor again, one example could be F-333SIc; in other words, Fighter #333 Stealth Interceptor, c model. Obviously, the numbers don't have to be in order; they can be pretty much anything.

Starfighter classifications (Starquest):
For those of you who looked at my PCG Hierarchy chart (by which I mean the dropbox html attached, because the image is waaaay too small Razz), you'll have noticed I added, under Starquest Central Command, a certain Starquest Air Corps. I have plans for them in the future; for now, I'm just putting down the fighter classification.

The SQAC's designation goes like the following: X-YA-VB, where X is either DGO, ASC, or TLS (Direct Ground Operations, Aerospace Supremacy Command, or Transport and Logistics Support, respectively); Y is a 1-3 letter section designating the fighter's* role; A is another random number; V  stands for version, and thus remains V; B is the version number, sometimes accompanied by a lowercase letter to denote a sub-variant or something of that description.

For example, a potential anti-armor gunship designation could be DGS-AT9-V7b, or Direct Ground Support--Anti-Tank 9--Version 7b. Often the designation would be shortened in this case to just YA; in this case, just AT9.

Ground vehicle classifications (Starquest):
And now we finally move onto ground vehicles. This one is a lot more free-form, and I honestly didn't put that much work into it- though I did just make up the SQAC designations on the spot, so meh. Razz

Starquest Designations follow a simple XA-YB system; where X is a three-letter acronym denoting the vehicle's function (like MBT or IFV); A is yet another random number; Y is the sub-variant letter/acronym (P for primary on standard designs, EV for engineering vehicles, etc.); and B is a final number.

What's special about vehicles is that their name also changes with the variant; these additions will often be appended to the standard name. All of them are the names of constellation, with an emphasis on Zodiac constellations; each name designates a special role. 

Take the example of an imaginary tank, called Fred. Standard Freds could be designated MBT4-P8 Freds; a close assault variant, MBT4-CA14 Fred Aquila; a command variant, MBT4-CC64 Fred Libra; a Tank destroyer, MBT4-TD3 Fred Cancer; and so forth. I don't honestly have all the names quite figured out yet, but I will. Eventually. Razz

So that's all I have for now. Feel free to post thoughts/questions!

*It should be noted that the term "fighter" is being extended to include virtually all military aircraft, including gunships and bombers.

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets
View user profile

Re: Star Lancers/Starquest Vehicle Classifications

on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:29 pm
Interesting. I hadn't thought much about the numeric names of my own fighters and other aerospace craft. Being Fed, the "x/y/z Class" system fits the most, but being that Star Force, the Federation's tactical arm, is a tactical arm, maybe I should try and use some numeric names.

And I've built some Star Lancers fighters too. Based on the X-AYz naming system I'll rename my PCG fighters asap. About that system actually, could "A" for Attack be one of the "X" letters? Like the A-10 Thunderbolt. Or it's just kept together with F, which is also good.

So, they were previously simply known as the E200 Delta Hawk, Supreme II Class Star Fighter, Star Falcon L, and ANG-L1 "Angel".

E200 Delta Hawk -> I should build an actual militarized version later, because the current one is more like a civvie plane.

Supreme II -> USFI F-11ATK Supreme II

ANG-LA "Angel" -> USFI F-10FAC Angel (I can't believe I build this over a year ago)

Star Falcon L -> USFI F-9AS Star Falcon L (and this one)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:32 pm
Something like that, yeah. TBH, I avoided Attack aircraft because that would be the SQAC's domain, and they obviously use a different system. Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum