Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

Saber-class Scout Ship

on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 pm
The Saber-class Starship was designed during the second half of the 24th century to fill the role of light cruiser/scout vessel for Starfleet. Featuring a small hull and a low crew requirement, the Saber-class was an ideal mass-produced light warship, and took part in many wars, including conflicts with the Borg and the Dominion. It continues to be used in such roles in the both the PCG and UFP fleets.

Picture 1:
Picture 2:
.lxf File:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5874497

I've built this ship (as with all my other ships) to the scale of 8 studs=100 meters, so it may not be to scale with some other members' ships. I've also discarded the erroneous 'canon' length of 365 meters in favor of the length of 223 meters, calculated by some guy on the internet using a reference picture. 

Enjoy!

Last edited by RememberMM on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added link to .lxf)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

Re: Saber-class Scout Ship

on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 pm
Nice! And, uhh, just a hint on posting links, if you remove the "http/" part it should post just fine. It won't be the kind of link you can just click on (you'll have to copy and paste it into the search bar) but it ought to work.

Also, nice phaser effects in that second pic. Has Gimp gotten better since I last blew off the dust and tried using it? Razz
On a different note, do you know how to take screenshots with transparent backgrounds in LDD? Or are you smarter than me and save yourself some work by just using LDD's space backgrounds? Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:09 pm
Meh, I'll wait a week and get the clickable version. Razz

I don't know how long ago it was since you used GIMP, but they're up to 2.8.4 now (although on this computer I have 2.6). If you want I'll share my patented exclusive (read: shamelessly copied from someone on the LUCL) technique for phaser and lightsaber effects. 

Well, I use LDD's space background, but pressing Ctrl+K should take a screenshot, and if you're in the build area, that screenshot should have a plain grey background, which you can cut out and replace with something else. I can't check the specifics because this computer also has an older version of LDD.
Lord Admiral (MSI)
View user profile

on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:55 pm
Alrighty. Razz

Well, it's been quite a while. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much use it'll be too much help, since I use Photoshop (and have figured out some effective little gradient laser beam tricks myself), but sure, I'd love to know. Smile

Heh. Somehow this seems to be something the huge majority of LDD users miss the fact that there's a "Take a Screenshot" option up in the... Tools menu, I think? Instead everyone only knows the keyboard shortcut.
Speaking of which, is Gimp able to do layers/transparency? The screenshots always come out transparent for me.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 pm
Here, rather than fill up this starship topic with non-starship-related-stuff I'll just post the link to the original tutorial:
universe.lego.com/en-us/community/creationlab/displaycreation.aspx?id=9ec68b4f-2e2d-405c-ac5d-3d28135ccbd9

And yes, GIMP can do layers and transparencies. I think you'd have a much harder time finding a program that couldn't do that kind of stuff than one that can. Razz
Lord Admiral (MSI)
View user profile

on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:31 pm
Wow, that's actually rather impressive. I usually just select the path, throw in a quick gradient and am done with it, except maybe some scaling to adjust perspective and depth perception and a little smudge tool work to soften the ends.

Anyway, thanks. I'll have to try the blur technique.

Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm
Wow! That's cool! It looks JUST like a saber! :DIt's a little thin in the saucer, but the rest of it is SPOT ON PERFECT Saber/Sabre (depends who you ask Razz) class! I like your canon ships... and that ~ 230 meter length sounds right to me, no way is that thing ~ 300 meters! Razz

Nice work RMM.... I am enjoying your return... Very Happy

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:05 pm
Hey RMM! Glad to see you're back in the PCG Universe! I remember your epic models, and I must say I am looking forward to all the stuff you shall post.

Good-looking Saber Class! Personally, I favor the SNOT design and am therefore not too keen on the studs, but IMO I think that ship structure is ultimately more important than ship detail. I'm not an expert on the Saber Class, but from what I remember, this thing is accurate. Smile

Again, good to have you back on!

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 pm
Scare, SNOT is Studs Not Only on Top, like J-red's ships. I think you mean tile pieces to hide the studs... because "studs upside down" would equal ship structure, not detail....   just a thought  Wink

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 pm
Hm, well, I don't quite get what you mean. Razz  I am not well-versed in terms around here. Maybe I ought to build ships, and then let you or another better-versed Trekkie add all the specs. Razz

Anyhow, I was under the impression that SNOT meant "Studs Not On Top" instead of "Stud Not Only on Top," but I suppose they mean almost the same thing. Wink 

Oh, whatever. Very Happy  I'm just a country boy who sits in the shade to watch the chickens peck. Wink

P.S.S. Steadfast, my Flagship

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  ~Edmund Burke
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:35 pm
When you say SNOT design, you mean the saucer, right? Saucer designs like J-red's can only be done well in the 'Perfect Grade' scale, while I am using the slightly smaller 'Master Grade' scale, in which layers of plates work best. Wink
Lord Admiral (MSI)
View user profile

on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 am
Dino and Scare: SNOT generally refers to any construction techniques that have the studs facing sideways, down, etc., instead of consistently up. Look at the two side-facing 1x3 roof slope pieces on the back of the Sabre-class, for example.

One the subject of whether the saucer should have been built SNOT-style instead of using stacked plates... well, personally I'd agree that the SNOT type looks a lot cleaner, but RMM is quite likely right. This is a rather tight ship to be trying to build with thick SNOT techniques.

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 pm
Arik exactly, and J-red is the only one I've seen around here who has mastered ENTIRE (not just added details) SNOT saucers, that, and this ship is small, thus making a SNOT saucer a bit a VERY tough nut to crack.  Smile

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:16 pm
It's almost as if they're challenging me... trying to get me to build it! I must resist! I have other things! More important things! Must... resist... *gasp*

Arik: It's actually a 1x4 slope. Razz
Lord Admiral (MSI)
View user profile

on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 am
RMM: 1x4? Ah, okay.                                          ...I knew that. Razz

Dino: *sigh...* you're probably right. The likelihood that RMM could pull it off, especially in a ship this small, is very slim... (RMM: Razz)

Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Yes, RMM is a very talented builder, in some areas... SNOT is just not an area he has ventured into...  Razz   Oh-well, as he says, he has more important things to do than mastering a new and difficult style... Razz

Dino27

cheers
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
View user profilehttp://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 pm
RMM? SNOT? Suuuureee. Razz

"Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa." (Long memory, short fuse).
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum