Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

Re: Vesta-class Interdictor

on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 pm
I only had to glance at the name of the topic's poster to know that this build was going to be good. The color scheme and overall design of the ships are spectacular, and all of the little details really sell this piece (I adore the little red marquee-like design around the four main batteries). However, if you're open to a bit of critique, I have a few nit-picking things I'd like to point out:

1). As you mentioned in your design notes, the top of the bridge could use a little detailing work, possibly doing a semi-raised section like you used on the rear "wings". Red/metalized silver would be good combo here, as opposed to the metalized silver/silver flip/flop colors you use on the front wings.

2). Using blaster rifles as barrels on those turrets is a novel idea, though they seem a tad too big, at least to me. Perhaps you could use the blaster pistol piece?

3). When looked at from a direct side or front/back view, the areas under the wing-like constructs seem to be a little empty. I know I'm probably not one to talk, as several of my ship designs also use such bent sections protruding from the sides. In the case of my vessels, it's an intentional design choice, as the segments are meant to act as an easily-replaceable buffer between incoming rounds and the center of the ship, but the overall design of you ship here leads me to believe that it's supposed to be a more solid and permanent part of the vessel. You might want to consider filling in the areas under the wings to give it a more solid construction.

4). This is really, really minor: in LDD, your model uses a transparent light blue on the engines, but LDView/LDraw/LeoCAD changes this to a much darker blue. You might want to change that next time you build and render a ship.

Speaking of such things, this is more of a general question related to LDraw/LeoCAD and POV-Ray: do you use any special or custom settings in those programs to get better quality renders of your ships? Many of my ships utilize LDD's titanium metallic color, but they fail to transfer correctly to LeoCAD and I have to repaint the pieces as a different color. Then, when I render them in POV-Ray, the specular maps for those metallic pieces is intensely bright and overpowers the light of other pieces. Any tips?

High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 pm
Oh my word, I didn't even know there was a direct LDD to POV-Ray converter. I hadn't ever seen the ldd.default.materials.inc file before, and after googling it I found the eurobricks thread on it. Until now I've been exporting LDD files to LeoCAD, fixing the models in there (because .ldd to .ldr deletes some pieces), sending it over to LDView, and then exporting to POV-Ray. Thank you so much for streamlining my work process!
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:51 am
More and more I grow to hate and despise you, Hunter of Stars, Ghost of the Forum.

But for all the best reasons and in all the right ways, you sir, have far too much talent on your hands. You need to give some of that to your less fortunate friends. Like me.

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:39 pm
Okay... I just got back from a week spent in the woods away from the internet, and this was basically the first thing I've seen since turning on my computer.

This makes me very happy.

I say this every time you post a model, but only because it's true every time: this is outright fantastic. Awesome. Spectacular. The sleek profile and aggressive battery/bridge really sell it to me. I can only find one possible issue with it, and that's the lack of detailing on the bridge/central hull that's been discussed before. Other than that, once again truly amazing work.

Lore-wise, however, I do have one question: is this an MSI ship? And if so, shouldn't it be in the MSI navy section? Razz

(As a side note, your design-process post was actually quite fascinating. You really do way more iteration than me. XD)

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500

Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 pm
I mean, I was going to finish and then release a new workhorse aerial transport, but I'm gona wait a month for the hype to die down so it doesn't look so sore next to this.... You kinda tick me off when you release ships SH, I don't like looking so blatantly inferior. Razz

Seriously, she's marvelous, I love the raised textures, and the "too bulky" blaster turrets (I actually like them that way). The bridge in my mind flows well with the ship and doesn't need any extra detailing. Also, interesting note you have about starting outwards and moving inwards. And reading your whole "How-I-Made-It" was quite interesting, if not all the more belittling. You're like "And then I didn't like the particular angle at which I made that brush stroke, so I just scrapped it, and then I thought, 'You know, that sun isn't round in quite the right way', so I redisigned it to fit better with the overall flow of trees." Meanwhile, I'm just overhere building ships like *SCRiBBLeSCRiBBLeSCRiBBLeSCRiBBLeSCRiBBLeSCRiBBLe*......"that area needs more scribble"......*SCRiBBLeSCRiBBLeSCRiBBLe*....there, looks intimidating to me. \

Also, would be nice to have a description of the concept of design around this ship, the tactics it's designed for, it's capabilities and weaknesses. What it's supposed to be doing and how. (Other than protecting people, that's pretty obvious from the name.) Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 pm
Well, this is quite purdy (to put it lightly), S-H. As usual. Razz

I agree with everyone that it's very menacing, and kind of looks somewhere between a sleek Star Destroyer and a big Homeworld warship.

And I love all the fine details and textures you've managed to cram in yet again. That's one of my favorite things about your ships, and this is yet another great example of it. The parts usage is amazing (I'm definitely stealing the Minecraft 'fig head technique). And overall the subtle shaping is also excellent.

I think I could nitpick on a few things, but it's all stuff that's part of your style anyway, like lack of greebles and connectivity issues, so I don't care and I know you don't either. And it's a gorgeous ship anyway. Razz

As for MSI lore (and Tetra's question), I think the ship fits fine. We've already got several diverse building styles (Nik's organic Covenant-esque ships, ARC's HH-style pill ships, Spud's various styles, etc.) so even if it was very different it would still fit.
Personally I'm trying to go off of this one image that MAD shared a while ago, which basically consists of big cylinders with lots of exposed greebles and large armor plates bolted on the outside, mixed with a touch of Homeworld's style. But it looks like you've already come pretty close to that anyway.

...And by the way, I really like the big turrets. I agree they're a tad bulky, but I like the big menacing feel they have. I might steal the design from you sometime. Razz

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:56 pm
Whoah....neat!
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum