Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

Centaur-class Frigate

on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 pm
I recently decided to re-do my Centaur-class, originally posted on LU more than two years ago. While it wasn't bad, it wasn't that accurate, so a new version was needed.

The Centaur-class Frigate is made with an Excelsior saucer, to which a small engineering hull is directly attached. A pair of short pylons sprout from the engineering hull and end in long, slim warp nacelles. 
Picture 1:
Picture 2:

The Centaur-class was armed with 9 Type IX phaser emitters and two photon torpedo launchers. 

Picture 3:

The Centaur-class was eventually given a major overhaul in an effort to update aging technology. The refit had a top cruising speed of Warp 8 with a top emergency speed of 9.8 (sustainable for 7 hours).

Picture 4:

It was armed with 18 Type XII phaser emitters (later ships had Type XIII) and four quantum torpedo launchers. 

Picture 5:

Ships of this class continue to be used in the PCG as fast frigates and couriers. 

.lxf File:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5881592

.lxf File (Refit):
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5882393

Enjoy!

Last edited by RememberMM on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : (Hopefully) fixed Image 5)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

Re: Centaur-class Frigate

on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:50 pm
Awesome! That's a centaur alright! And a very accurate one too!  :DI do have four suggestions though (would it REALLY be a comment from Dino if I didn't?  Razz)

1) I am not a fan of the "glow effect" nacelles and impulse drives, I like classy brick colors... (with completely GIMPed phaser and torpedo effects of course  Razz)

2) I think the dish could use a layer of tiles on top, I have come to a point in shipbuilding (for Trek ships at least) that I like tiles and not lots of studs) 

3) I suggest not using trans-red pieces underneath, I have no earthly idea why but they just don't look Federation to me somehow... 

4) GET ME A WORKING LINK WITH LXF SO I CAN DOWNLOAD THIS AWESOME THING!!! ( Razz  just kidding, this last one is completely a joke, but I really do want to download it  RazzSmile)

Other than that....this is one cool ship! The Centaur was an interesting vessel, I wish we saw more of it than background... Now we can, in bricks.  Razz

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 pm
1) Really? The pictures on Memory-Alpha show glowing warp nacelles on this and other ships. Of course, if you don't like it you can just download the model and use the viewing mode to look at it. Razz

2) It's an interesting idea, but I think it would make the saucer too thick, and also because there are no wedge tiles it makes it look rather blocky. Maybe if I were working on a larger scale I'd consider it.

3) That's a photon torpedo launcher. I don't really like the location either, but I needed a central spot with a forward firing arc and that was the best place to put it.

4) Hey, that's Brickshelf's fault. Razz It should be up in a day or so. 

Stay tuned for more canon vessels coming soon... Cool
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm
I mean the pinkish and light blue glow, if it were red and royal blue, I'd love it. Razz

Yeah, it WOULD be a bit much for a ship this size Razz

I use 2x2 round plates and tiles for torp launchers, and although they're really large... and the REAL launchers DO have a TINY bit of red on them, I prefer the clean look of all gray. I suggest doing that in the GIMP effects, adding a LITTLE red dot to your standard color torp launchers. Razz

It's up now so I'm happy Razz

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 pm
My next ship will have better GIMP effects. Hopefully. Razz

I think I'll stick with the trans-red launchers and try to find less obtrusive places to put them. It makes it easier to determine how many launchers a ship has and where they are.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm
True, but you can also just use the "select all pieces of this type/color" tool and as long as you only use those as launchers... instant visual, and if that isn't cutting it, you can then use the same tool to paint the torp launchers a bright color. Of course other people can't see it then Razz

Dino27

cheers
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum