Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

Ambassador-class Heavy Cruiser

on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:00 pm
The Ambassador-class Starship was introduced in the 24th century to replace the aging Excelsior as Starfleet's new main starship. A number of these vessels were built, including the famous USS Enterprise-C.

Picture 1:

The Ambassador was armed with 10 phaser strips and 2 photon torpedo launchers.

Picture 2:

It was eventually replaced by the larger and more powerful Galaxy-class Starship, although Ambassador-class vessels would continue to see service for many more decades.

.lxf File:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5883527

Enjoy!
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

Re: Ambassador-class Heavy Cruiser

on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:37 pm
Ah, nice! A bigger one, too! I like the thickness it has. My only design complain is that the stud-covered 90-degree angle of the warp nacelle pylons just doesn't fit very well. Maybe the real thing has that jagged of an angle, but... ehh, oh well.

Non-design complaint: WHAT'S WITH THE PINK? Razz Seriously, though, why the pink and teal glowy colors? I'm not Star Trek expert, but the usual red and blue seems to me like it'd work out better. Nice work making the glowyness, though. I really like that.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm
That's pretty much how the pylons are supposed to look, as can be seen here:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/gus/1701c-gus4.jpg

As for the pink, GIMP has a habit of brightening things, particularly when I do the glow technique. tongue In the model it's metallic red and blue. I'll look into making it less pink next time.
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 pm
WOW! RMM, this is a thing of beauty! This might just be the best Ambassador class I have ever seen.... It's so EPICALLY SNOT!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!

My ONLY suggests are the EXACT same two that Arik posted Razz (one of which is display related and not the ship at all) this is a WONDERFUL ship! I have come to the conclusion that your best Fed ships are the ones with an engineering hull and not just a saucer (EG, your Excelsior, Ambassador are STUNNING)

Other than that... this ship is A M A Z I N G ! ! ! ! !

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:05 pm
Oh wow. I checked the model and that's definitely "brightened up" compared to the actual color. Razz
I might agree with Dino that the metallic bright red/blue colors maybe ought to be switched for the normal red and blue to get them more accurately colored. And maybe not, the "metallic bright" type colors look almost perfect in the actual model.

One possible suggestion for the GIMP effects (I'm not positive this can be done in GIMP, since I really only use Photoshop. Maybe I oughta pull GIMP back out to help you a bit better...), try using an ordinary brush tool colored in whatever shade you want the glowy parts to be, set the transparency lower, and run it real quick over the parts you want to glow. It's a simple trick I use fairly often to the same purpose. Also, if you can adjust brush hardness, set it lower. That helps a lot. If not, any smudge/blur/whatever tool available ought to work instead.
...You know what? I think I'll go pull out GIMP right now and check this stuff for myself. Razz

Also, one more bit I just noticed: the SNOT techniques in the secondary section of the ship. Awesome job.

Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am
Well, I'm imaging my next ship right now, so we'll see how it turns out... Question
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum