Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

Galaxy-class Starship

on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 pm
Introducing the Galaxy-class Starship!

The Galaxy-class was developed and launched in the middle of the 24th century. It was designed to be Starfleet's main vessel, suitable for a variety of missions including exploration and defense. Six Galaxy-class vessels were launched in the first production wave, one of them the famous USS Enterprise-D.

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

The Galaxy-class was armed with 12 phaser arrays (three of which are hidden) and 2 photon torpedo launchers. A variant, exemplified by the USS Venture, had two additional phaser arrays mounted on the nacelles and an extra torpedo launcher at the rear of the primary hull.

Picture 3:

The Galaxy-class starship is capable of splitting into two functional parts: the primary hull (saucer) and the engineering hull. The Engineering Hull has its own bridge (generally known as the battle bridge) and if the vessel is in combat, the battle bridge is where the commander directs the ship. While in separation mode, the three extra phaser arrays are available. Although the saucer is not capable of warp flight while in separation mode, it still retains impulse power and can move at sublight speeds.

Picture 4:

.lxf File:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5884631

.lxf File (Venture variant):
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5884731

Note: Although it is not shown in the above pictures, the yellow stripes on the warp nacelles have been included in the .lxf file.

Enjoy!
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space
View user profile

Re: Galaxy-class Starship

on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm
Looking good, RMM!

Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:01 pm
RMM that is a thing of beauty! Very Happy It's one of the most graceful Galaxy class ships I've ever seen... and it reminds me just how out of scale (AKA, too small by comparison to my other ships) mine is  Razz This thing looks so... futuristic! And the saucer separation is plain cool! Very Happy

A couple suggestions: the deflector should be alternating blue and red, the saucer is too wide compared to the rest of the ship, the nacelles and engineering hull are too long compared to the rest of the ship, and there are some disconnected pieces in the nacelle pylons. However... I had to look it up to find anything wrong with it...  Embarassed so that tells us two things.... one, I don't know the Galaxy class that well,  Razz  and two, this thing really quite accurate in spite of  a few off proportions

This thing blows me away! It's SO smooth and elegant! I haven't told you how much I LOVE your phaser design have I? Well... I LOVE your phaser design!  Very Happy  It's so... rounded, but not too thick either... WELL done!  Very Happy  The Torpedo tubes look GREAT used within the superstructure of the ship. The Warp Nacelles are SO... Galaxy class! These might be the best Galaxy class nacelles I have ever had the pleasure of drooling over. Razz Smile And the engineering hull is so wonderfully SNOTy! I'm REALLY enjoying your larger Federation ships... you make them SO streamlined and gorgeous! Well done!

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:13 pm
Very nice ship!

Quick question, though: what did you do to make the glowy parts...well, glowy? Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:32 pm
dino27 wrote:RMM that is a thing of beauty! Very Happy It's one of the most graceful Galaxy class ships I've ever seen... and it reminds me just how out of scale (AKA, too small by comparison to my other ships) mine is  Razz This thing looks so... futuristic! And the saucer separation is plain cool!  Very Happy

A couple suggestions: the deflector should be alternating blue and red, the saucer is too wide compared to the rest of the ship, the nacelles and engineering hull are too long compared to the rest of the ship, and there are some disconnected pieces in the nacelle pylons. However... I had to look it up to find anything wrong with it...  Embarassed so that tells us two things.... one, I don't know the Galaxy class that well,  Razz  and two, this thing really quite accurate in spite of  a few off proportions

This thing blows me away! It's SO smooth and elegant! I haven't told you how much I LOVE your phaser design have I? Well... I LOVE your phaser design!  Very Happy  It's so... rounded, but not too thick either... WELL done!  Very Happy  The Torpedo tubes look GREAT used within the superstructure of the ship. The Warp Nacelles are SO... Galaxy class! These might be the best Galaxy class nacelles I have ever had the pleasure of drooling over.   Razz:)And the engineering hull is so wonderfully SNOTy!  I'm REALLY enjoying your larger Federation ships... you make them SO streamlined and gorgeous! Well done!

Well, if it's too wide in one direction and too long in the other, then maybe it's just right? Razz And thanks for catching those unconnected parts. I have no idea how I missed them...

I'm glad you like my big ships, but I've taken a slight change of pace recently, and built some Perfect Grade starships. You'll be seeing them soon.  

Admiral Kojan wrote:Very nice ship!

Quick question, though: what did you do to make the glowy parts...well, glowy? Razz

In GIMP, I used the 'Fuzzy Select Tool' to make a selection on the parts, made a new layer and bucket-filled the appropriate color, unselected everything and gave it a slight Gaussian blur, then changed the Color Levels to 3. Then I used Color Balance to make them darker, because otherwise they'd be hot pink and baby blue.
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:52 pm
*Takes notes* I'm gona try that now with my next photoshop job. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Recruit (No Affiliation)
View user profile

on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:10 pm
Just don't tell anyone I told you how to do it.

Unless it looks good. Razz
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:59 pm
Well......it didn't look good. Razz But it worked out decently enough, but next time I'm just gona shortcut and make a new layer, fill in with a brighter color (e.g., scarlet instead of maroon), gaussian blur it, and then mess with the opacity. Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,

on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:16 pm
That's absolutely incredible, RMM! It looks so smooth and show-accurate! Smile My only complaint is that you didn't make that beautiful curve up on the nacelle pylons (which would have been hard anyway, since it's such a sudden curve), but you made up for it with everything else! I especially love the way you built up to the back of the saucer; it looks so sleek! The whole thing is beautiful! Picard would definitely approve. Very Happy
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium
View user profile

on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:40 am
Oooo, very nice! The separation of the two modules is near seamless, and GIMP job is great to boot! I love it! Very Happy

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum