Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

View previous topicGo downView next topic
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Other
Species: Other
View user profile

Hiiiiiiiii!

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:26 pm
I'm new here, I don't know what to do. What is Star Trek? Hold my hand!
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group
View user profile

Re: Hiiiiiiiii!

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:30 pm
Shh. It's okay. Holds hand.

Sloop! It's been a long time! How are you doing, man?

Dino27

"For honor, king    for valor, for cookies;      and for friendship!"
  cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:32 pm
Good! I was actually doing some LDD modeling the other day and I was like,
"I wonder if people are still doing this stuff?"
I was vastly surprised to see that this is still a thing!
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:32 pm
Indeed it is a thing still.  And there are many things to impart to you, welcome back old friend, it's good to have you back!

"The enemy gate is DOWN "
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

Star-Hunter wrote:We channeled pure Jred into Texas to keep it red
was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:33 pm
I gather as much. Will it be like binge watching DS9 three times in a row trying to remember all the subplots? (Garak's is the best btw)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:35 pm
Well, not just yet, we're... currently undergoing some construction so-to-speak, there's a lot to catch up on, but its more or less what's been going on with everyone as opposed to what's been going on with the universe(s)

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 pm
@Sloop.It might be more along the lines of Abramsverse... There have been some... changes... of late...

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 pm
Oh gosh, how dare you mention that abomination! *crosses fingers and hisses*

Seriously though, is there a thread I can skims for the details? I seem to have a lot of links that I can't access due to limited privileges.
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:48 pm
I... wow. This was most unexpected. We go for months with the site basically dead, and then suddenly we get three or four new/returning users in the space of a month. Razz

...Oh, sorry, my bad; started thinking out loud. Razz Please disregard the username you see on the left, it's a... particularly strange inside joke of sorts. I'm Tetrahedron, formerly Mightyman503 from the LUCL. Great to have you back; how's everything been? Very long time no see, for me especially. Razz

Dino and J-red are right; you've missed a lot, and... well it's still pretty disorganized ATM. Strap yourself in. Razz

Welcome back, Captain. Wink

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 pm
I'll have to dig up some of the old half-finished or mostly-finished ships I dug out of my computer the other day.
Probably will want to wait for orientation before I start to make more...right?
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 pm
...that would be a very good idea, yeah. XD Razz

Meanwhile, on the chat....
Arik wrote:I'm ready to get back to worldbuilding now... Razz

Tetrahedron wrote:I'm not sure if we should interrupt Ant like this...
He might kill us with his cow bombs

Star-Hunter wrote:"He might kill us with his cow bombs."
I'll take phrases I never thought I'd hear in my lifetime for $500
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:54 pm
@Sloop. Ah, finally someone else who understands what true Trek is.
We're not that organized yet. Things are still sprawled over a dozen pages and twice that many Google Docs. Razz

You might not like this.... It has been... controversial, at times....
So basically, we've started working on designing our own universe from the ground up, one that doesn't directly copy or mimic any existing sci-fi. Very few Trek fans were still active, and the non PCG users/a few PCG members wanted to go and write stories that were 100% our own, including factions, history, and tech. So we've been inventing our own sci-fi. The PCG Prime Universe, the one us PCG old-timers know and love, still exists, and will remain open, not altered, locked, or deleted, on it's own part of the site, so we can still posts stories and ships to it, but most people seem to want to focus on the new 'verse. I'd be happy to try and fill you in on what we have so far for the new universe, if you'd like. Smile

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:55 pm
Sure, direct me to a thread, shoot me a pm, whatever.

Ooooooooor I could roll in with a gun in each hand shouting random ideas and calling for a total revamp of the established system, just like old times!

Mwhahahahaha
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:31 pm
I'm guessing this is a sample of what you guys are coming up with: http://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/t992-general-galactic-timeline
Am I correct?
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:36 pm
Frankly, you'd have to get in line. We have a lot of revamping and gun toting at the moment. Razz

[edit] Yes. That's our WIP timeline.

We're trying to have our stories/tech/ship designs not be/look exactly/too much like any other sci-fi. Similarities are bound to happen, but we're trying to make the New 'Verse unique.

Okay, so. Keep in mind, this is all very much a work in progress.

The PCG still exists as sort of a UN/NATO military. Same name. Many elements of history remain, many have been changed or removed.

The United Federation of Planet's is now the Galactic Confederation. Similar government. Starfleet is now the Federal Defense Fleet.

Daragon Incorporated is now Dragon Dynamics. Still a space business.  

Yaka (Kojan's space marine business gone Roman empire) is now known as the CIR. They're still space Rome. They lie. They conquer. They expand. They're basically a people's republic of space.

The MSI/Majestas Sempiternus Imperium is still the MSI, only now they are assortet species that were abducted, indoctrinated, and colonized by space Aztecs. (Tototectol. They left tech around the galaxy.)  MSI is basically space Roman/British Empire.

The ETX (Mars Mission aliens) are now the Ostatki/Duma. They're peaceful, isolationist space Buddists.

The Atnlays are still around and deadly. Still isolationists.

The Veil/Across The Pond Guys. They have serious tech. They are seriously scared of The Plague. (See below.) They cordoned off our section of the galaxy by shutting down most forms of FTL travel in a barrier that cannot be crossed.  

The big-bads are the Plague. (Space zombies, ancient threat, most dangerous.) The Spectres. (Now alternate universe A.I. ships designed to fight Plague, but decided that that means killing all life to stop the Plague.) The Draugr (Nomadic space alien birds from another galaxy with super fast/hard to track FTL tech, who raid, and have big bad motherships. They were genetically engineered by The Masters to be the perfect slave race, but they were replaced, rebelled, lost, and ran away. They kinda hate everyone else, and want to eventually go home and kill everything.) Cor Redor. (Extra-galactic space bugs of doom with crazy-deadly tech. No more needs to be said.) Space Terrorists. (Some hate the Fleet admiralty. (SAF/Yor reference.) Some are aliens who hate humans because we're everywhere now. 'Nuff said.)  

The species of the main factions (but the species are not so much factions themselves, as almost all factions contain almost all species in at least limited numbers) are Humans, (who now, thanks to tech, live to be 130.) Khent-Sa (space snakes with arms, honorable warriors. Raise children in broods. Have different honor systems. Always die in battle before they can find out their max lifespan, but they're long-lived.) Ostatki (Mars Mission aliens but different, peaceful, isolationist. Used to have a big empire. Advanced biotech.) Proc'nar (space rhinos. Live to be 200-300. Strong, large, peaceful, practical, don't lie, practical, diplomatic, curious, matriarchal, young males are aggressive. Practice The Deal. Have weird marriages.) Ak'tuli. Space birds. (Not Draugr.) We don't know much about them yet.

Tech.
(Shamelessly copy/pasted from a Doc.)
FTL:
[Warp] (Within system travel. Near instant cool-down. Too slow for long-range use. Basically hyper-impulse)
[Hyperdrive] (Standard longer distance drive; locks onto and travels toward gravity wells. Longer cool-down.)  
[Phase Drive] (Fastest ship-mounted drive; travels along naturally-occurring lanes. Used on expensive, large ships. Rare for civilian craft. Large ships can open a hole for smaller ships to travel through too. Long cool-down period.)
[Phase Jumpgate] (Stabilizes phasic node, allowing for travel by ships not packing phase drives)

Shields:
[repulsor fields, as opposed to traditional energy bubbles] (AKA, enemy fire is pushed/bounced off, not just blocked. Now the issue with shields is not maintaining integrity, but preventing the physical components from overheating. When shields go down, the heat-sinks usually cool down on their own after an unspecified period of time. However, this leave the ship vulnerable for a long while during the fight, so physical parts are usually swapped out to allow the shields to be brought back to full power ASAP.)  

Weapons:
[Three major archetypes: kinetic, energy, explosive, distributed across the various scales and factions] (We have particle weapons that fire slow, phaser like beams. We think we have lasers that go pewpewpew. But we have no idea how they work yet, this is all a WIP. We have railguns. Railguns are life, but aren't as good as energy weapons against shields. Plasma is considered an energy weapon, but we use it like a super flamethrower now. Short range, very, very hot.)

Transporters are now teleporters:
[Viable, but only for non-living matter. Requires both transmitting and receiving pad. Virtually always inflicts massive cancerous decay on organics who attempt to use for personal transport] (AKA, you use it, you probably die. You transport a tank with it, you're fine. But they have a finite range, and you need both an outgoing and incoming teleporter pad. Temporary ones can be set up in the fields by ground securing teams to bring in vehicles and supplies, but again, NOT living things.)

Communications:
[Subspace radio --> relay network --> beacon cores]
[In-systems comms are effectively instant. Longer-range radio comms can take hours to reach target. Can also be sent to node, which relays message from node to node very quickly until it reaches a beacon. Beacon then transmits message almost instantly across any distance, where it is relayed through that beacon’s local nodes until it reaches the closest it can to the target, then travels by standard radio means. Message can take up to a day like this.]
[Every beacon also constantly sends out a unique, omnidirectional signature signal into subspace; due to the small number of beacons. By triangulating distance from these various beacons, FTL navigation is possible]

Sensors:
[for FTL scanning, scan exo-space to detect realspace actions from significant range. Otherwise, standard rapport of relatively short range bio/thermal/etc scanners]

Interdiction:
Artificial gravity wells, used to disrupt FTL travel and sublight movement.

Grav/Anti-Grav:
[Generic grav plating for starships. Some anti-grav systems for especially maneuverable, lighter starcraft, and for some ground assets like mechanized infantry]
[hybrid fusion/anti-grav core for mechs - “Daitengu Core”]

Mechs:
A relatively recent addition to factional arsenals. Though various exosuits have been employed throughout history, only recently has the technology for true mech walkers been discovered and developed.
Daitengu Core
Tengu Core

Power generation:
[Fusion reactors]
[Antimatter reactors, possibly requiring a tertiary fuel element]
[Elerium reactors] (unstable.)

Large ship’s primary reactor would be antimatter-based, probably with an element of SW hypermatter in that it could potentially produce for fuel than it uses. Or maybe that requires special fuel tenders? Idk.
Backup reactors and smaller ships would boast hot fusion, or something like that

Propulsion:
[Fusion drives]

[Some fighters have afterburners, because Space]

Ground propulsion [spitballing]:
Wheels and tracks: Standard ground stuff
Hovertech: hovers above ground with antigrav. Much more expensive and difficult to maintain makes impractical to deploy in massive numbers, but ability to traverse any obstacle (debris, water, mountains, etc.) makes it very valuable. Also can move and face different directions, so good for fixed weapons— would probably incur speed penalty, though
Mecha legs: Space magical samurai robots woooooo
Chicken walker legs: Standard bipedal mech legs
Insect legs: Several legs jutting out from the side/underside, like in AT-TE. Used for tanks/heavy vehicles

Augmentations:
[Think Deus Ex + Metal Gear, with a couple more advanced tidbits. Legal but frowned upon for various reasons. Need to write an actual description for this] (Augments might possibly mess with emotions. Prosthetics for medical reasons are okay, but trying to "improve" oneself can lead to big problems.)

Other things???
Medical tech: Humans now live to 132 ± 24 on average. 40 is considered youthful.

Planets are rarer than say, Star Trek or Star Wars. We still have a decent number though.

Last edited by Dino27 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dino27

cheers
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : Romnilar
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:38 pm
Uhh...what's with the sloth? Razz

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
~/Com|Ant~

Arik wrote:Sadly, it's a doomed attempt. The Illuminati infiltrated the US government before it even was the US government,
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:43 pm
@Dino *sheds a tear for the old pcg verse*
So it's basically a combination of all the cookie cutter si fi plots? Hahahahaha. This should be interesting. From what I've seen it will be pretty rich with plot hooks for stories and intrigue. Hopefully it goes more in that direction than just an empire management sim thingy.
@A_A
I yam what I yam.

Edit: what I do like about the time line is that basically half of the events listed will be in most average aged characters life time. So in our backstory they can be incorporated and used for characterization.
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
View user profilehttp://phoenixcommandgroup.forumotion.com/

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:53 pm
Welcome back, Sloop! I honestly can't believe you're here; last I remember you were building an awesome Minecraft server before you dropped off of the face of the earth. In any case, welcome! We use Discord now as our primary means of communication. If you want an invite, hit me up.
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:59 pm
I prefer for people to have no reliable way to contact me. Razz
To be honest, I'll probably just lurk, see how things develop, and throw sharp objects when I don't like what I see.
Captain (PCG)
View user profile

on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 am
@Sloop. Yeah, I'm gonna miss the old 'verse being the main thing too. But at least it's still around. (That was a point of contention at one point. But we haven't killed each other yet... so... yay. Razz )

Yeah, it is a little cookie-cutter. Don't worry, this will be pretty story/building based. Lots of stories and roleplay, with a healthy dose of building too. It won't be any more space empire-management-y than the old 'verse.

We also have an online table-top strategy thing now, courtesy of S-H. That's still very much a WIP too.

Dino27

cheers
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:10 am
Sharp objects you say? Good thing I'm safe inside a mecha.

And while that does seem to be a fairly empty timeline, keep in mind that each faction has its own history/timeline that hasnt' been inserted, and the same goes for races. There's also potentially some stories in the past, I forgot exactly what point in time during the timeline this takes place in, but I do have a trilogy planned about the time that the GalCon is started.

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

was scary for a second
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
View user profile

on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:14 am
Oh don't worry, I have already started working on my revised backstory for this universe. Still including the step off the deep end about the time of the Cor redor invasion.
Because, my character needs to be at least as half as crazy as me, right?

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum