Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IFS Grayson MkIII

+3
The Blacktron Council
Tetrahedron
Andre Tholvel
7 posters
Go down
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human

IFS Grayson MkIII Empty IFS Grayson MkIII

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 am
I'm sending my computer into the shop for two weeks, so I wanted to throw this up before I took it in today, since I haven't posted anything in awhile and it was almost done. I don't have stats yet, so I'll edit this topic when I get back (or maybe using my phone if I can), but here's a taste:

IFS Grayson MkIII Grayso10

The IFS Grayson MkIII, the third ship in the Grayson line, is a huge improvement over the MkII:

IFS Grayson MkIII Grayso10

Boasting two large starfighter bays, significantly improved weaponry, and powerful thrusters (noting that the MkII lacked any thrusters at all), the MkIII is a well-rounded 880-meter heavy cruiser designed to be the workhorse of the Inventory Security Force, until a better one comes around. The designers took a different approach to defensive design, opting for weaker shields, allowing for more powerful weapons, and compensating with multiple layers of ceramic, crystalline and ablative armor. More information on the MkIII will be updated at a later time.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

IFS Grayson MkIII Empty Re: IFS Grayson MkIII

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:08 pm
Pretty good, I have to say! I like the overall shape very much, though there are a few areas in need of improvement; firstly, the rear area shows a few too many studs IMO, and seems like is needs some smoothing out, and second, the ship could use with some kind of command spire or something sticking out of the hull's back portion (it looks somewhat empty without something vertical Razz). That being said, I really love the engine design and some of the weapons. Overall, very good!
The Blacktron Council
The Blacktron Council
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Location : Observing the construction of the latest starcruiser.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 pm
*claps enthusiastically*
ITS SO GREY.
There's a term in the Classic Castle community which helpfully summarizes my reaction to this:
BIG GREY WALL SYNDROME
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:42 pm
Tetra-- the original shape looked like a duck. It required a lot of emergency modification to avoid that. Razz I tinkered with some vertical superstructures, but wasn't sure how to pull it off without messing with the swept-back aesthetic I have already. I'll look at it some more though, thanks for the suggestion. As to the studs, yes, I entirely forgot to "armor" the back end, so I'll fix that as well.

Blacktron-- On the note of forgetting things, I also forgot to color-scheme this, something else I'll fix later. Remember, I rushed this out this morning because I thought I was sending my computer in for two weeks, which actually didn't happen. So I'll be able to get some fixes and stats up sooner rather than later.
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:29 am
It looks really cool and reminds me of the great PCG ships of olde: the Patriarch and the Empress for example.  I like big gray super space saloons, though I'm not sure if that is what this is, it's still relatively large, it's gray, and it's a spaceship. Very Happy I like. The only thing that seems a little off is the separated hull in the middle. I suppose having two strong, central beams is actually good for structural integrity and rigidity, but I think having it filled up rather than open is more practical for a starship. Either way it looks great, and since when is Sci-Fi practical? Razz
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:40 am
You're probably right about practicality, but that's actually where the starfighter bays are, which you would know if you had read the descrip--ooohhh right, I'm lazy and there IS no good description. My bad. Razz

...what exactly is a super space saloon? xD
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:38 pm
Talmid summed up my thoughts on this perfectly. Awesome ship.

Seems thin in the middle, needs tiles in the back, does NOT need an elevated bridge IMO. Well done!!!
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:52 pm
Believe me, I would NEVER put an elevated bridge on ANY ship of mine. At least, not a ship built for war. Razz

I already have ideas for the MkIV, I'll need an entire new version to make the changes I want to make with this one. I like this ship. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:11 am
Wow, that's a huge improvement over the MKII! I love the design changes, the flow, the turrets, and the center gap, even if it is an engineering waste. Razz I do agree with AoK in that it's a tad much on the grey side, maybe throw some light blue highlights in? Really great job not making it all flat studs sticking up everywhere either, the center front hump and the turrets really help break that up! Can we get pictures of the underside?
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:26 am
Thanks AA! I have massive changes for the next version though. And that center thing is a design choice, really-- when I started renovation, it sort of just appeared, and I kinda liked it so I kept it. I don't really want to fill it in, I think it helps the aesthetic of the ship and makes a nice place for the starfighter bays. We'll see, though. Razz

The underside is identical to the top, so the third pic could be either one.
Kojan
Kojan
High Admiral (CIR)
High Admiral (CIR)
Faction : Caldera Imperial Republic

Character sheet
Faction:
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net/

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:55 pm
Wow, this is a great ship! Like Talmid said, it's beautifully reminiscent of ye' olde PCG ships, and, like you stated in the description, it is a vast improvement over the Mk. II. I love the cup-shaped drives in the rear of the ship, and the sort of "open" mid-section is a nice ascetic touch. My only two minor critiques are this: it could use a little more splash of color (get some of that trademark blue of yours in there!) and maybe work on the greebling a bit. Very Happy
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm
Yes, I totally forgot to color it, my bad. xD

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! The next one should be much more beefy, but this will remain in use because it's so solid. And yeh, I'm still mastering that whole greebling thing, one of the other newer PCG-verse styles. xD
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum