Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

IFV-2 Puma Empty IFV-2 Puma

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:44 am
I apologize for not being very active in the past week or so; I didn't have much time and was very busy.

The IFV-2 Puma was developed about three years after the beginning of the Second Interstellar War and the First Battle of Kopa Bravo by Koznovod Land Dynamics. The Puma was meant to be a more well-armored IFV to supplement the Badger IFV MRCV-1M1 series of vehicles. One of the most successful KLD projects, the Puma performed excellently throughout the war earning a reputation as being robust and reliable.

Spoiler:

The Puma is a well-armored vehicle for its size. While it is far from being as armored as dedicated MBTs, it can withstand autocannon fire of most calibers and even some low-caliber anti-tank guns. However, it also features impressive firepower: a 40 mm autocannon, a co-axial 7.62 mm machine gun, and a quadruple-tube ATGM launcher. And, while it is not as fast as its wheeled counterparts, it features enhanced off-road performance thanks to its tracks.

Pumas are equipped with 40 mm AC-6 autocannons for their main armament. Useful for cutting down infantry, light vehicles, and other soft targets, the AC-6 is also capable of penetrating even armor on some tanks (as in light tanks). While the 40 mm has a lower rate of fire compared to other autocannons, it makes up with much enhanced penetration and generally better accuracy. Unlike most other autocannons fielded by the Coalition, the 40 mm is regularly loaded with API, proving its relative effectiveness against armor.

40 mm AC-6
Developer: Bremen Automatic Weapons Systems (BAWS)
Developed: 2583
Produced: 2584 - present
Used by: Integrated Coalition of Systems
Caliber: 40 mm
Type: autocannon
Ammunition: API, HE, AP/aC (Anti-Personnel/air Canister)
Rate of fire: ~480 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity (with API): ~4300 m/s
Maximum effective range: ~19700 m

The IFV-2 Puma is also armed with a 7.62 mm machine gun for anti-aircraft or anti-infantry use, and the quadruple-tube ATGM launcher is utilized for dedicated anti-tank purposes.

Like most Coalition vehicles, the IFV-2 Puma features an onboard nanufacturer to slow down the rate of ammunition loss.

Spoiler:

The IFV-2 Puma is equipped with the Minsk Mk. 2 Protection System.

Spoiler:

Pumas feature moderately good carrying capacity; it is able to deploy 8 fully equipped troops, or 1 squad (2 fireteams). The troops are deployed from the rear hatch, while the driver has a driver's hatch for emergency disembarkation (in the sense of a ground vehicle).

Spoiler:

Specifications:
Model: IFV-2 Puma
Developer: KLD
Used by: ICS
Produced: 2594 - present
In service: 2594 - present
Combat service: Second Interstellar War

Crew: 1 (driver) + 8 infantry (1 squad)

Armor: Minsk Mk. 2 Protection System, slat armor (some variants)

Main armament: 40 mm AC-6
Secondary armament: co-axial 7.62 mm machine gun, quadruple-tube ATGM launcher

Top speed: 105 km/h (~65 mph) on road
Traverse speed: 53 deg/s

Designer's Notes:
First off, I apologize for the boring and lacking description (probably with atrocious grammar); I feel exhausted right now.

I was actually very happy with how it worked out. It just came out right for me this time. I changed what I usually do with my tracks/wheels to get more flexibility for sloping the model, and it worked out very well. The Puma is probably my favorite ground vehicle that I've ever designed.

There were quite a few issues, but most of them worked out. I am really happy with all the sensors and the weapons. The quadruple-tube ATGM launcher is essentially a stacked version of the twin-tube ATGM launcher mounted on the Jackal light tank. I forgot to put in an APS PD-EBP on the model before I took the pictures, but I fixed that:
Spoiler:

So yeah...not much to say. I really like the profile of the Puma; unlike the Jackal, the width, height, and length are all proportional (IMO).

Obviously, I took some elements from the Jackal and applied them here: the ATGM launcher of course, the driver's hatch, the ERA (originally by Kojan and Jace), etc. But the side skirt armor was done differently this time as was the hull above the tracks. The turret was built differently. And, before anyone asks, there are magazines for both the 40mm and the 7.62 mm behind the mantlet.

As usual, many features of the Puma are unrealistic: no autoloading system, no engine (which I gave up for the infantry capacity), etc, but welcome to LDD. I'm very happy with the interior, especially the lighting and the driver's cabin with the binocs as a periscope. It serves no real purpose as I mentioned but for aesthetics.

If some of you notice that the Puma is seemingly floating above the ground, that is because I had to rotate some of the road wheels, but apparently the box around them pushed it up. Oh LDD, you so silly. IFV-2 Puma 851199844 But yeah, it's not because I built something below it or something.

As far as inspiration, there were a couple. Most obvious would be the German SPz Puma, a German IFV. And no, I did not base the name Puma off of the German Puma; it was purely coincidental. The turret in particular, with the sensor on the left and ATGM launcher on the right, is heavily influenced by the SPz Puma with its Spike missile launcher. However, I also based the Puma off of the British FV510 Warrior, the Swedish CV-90, and the Bradleys.

Although I'm still unhappy that Jace got to slat armor before I did (Razz), I still plan on making a version with slat. The Puma might also serve as a CEV in the future, but we'll see how it goes. Of course, I'll need to find some time first.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

IFV-2 Puma Empty Re: IFV-2 Puma

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:30 am
Don't worry about being active; everyone seems to be absent (you'd thin now is when we'd be most active, but evidently not). Razz 

As for the IFV itself: the detailing and sloping is nothing short of fantastic. I particularly love the armor for the tracks; it looks pretty difficult to do, so that fact that it's done so well makes it really shine. Razz About the only thing I don't like is the top: it's pretty much completely flat, with only a little detailing. Dunno, feels like you could probably add a slope or something, seeing as it's a bit barren as-is.

Superb work!
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:00 pm
And, once again, you make something similar to what I made but much more awesome. Honestly I haven't got much more to say. It just looks awesome: the detailing, proportion, general appearance...even without an engine or auto-loading system it's amazing.
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:15 pm
When I saw the title on this topic, I quickly slipped off a prayer that this wasn't some sort of jeep. Because I want to build a jeep called a Puma.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system. This is a fantastic looking tank, though I do think the cannon should be a little larger on it, the proportions seem a little off on it. Excellent work with the armor plating, looks great, I really love the usage of the hinge pieces on the bottom sides by the treads.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:40 am
@Tetra: Thank you! I'm glad you like it. As for the top, I can see where you're coming from although I doubt I'll change it. Sloping it more would either increase its height or require a complete reworking of the front. Also, I based it off of many modern tracked IFVs, which have mostly flat tops and a turret. In addition, I built the frame so that I couldn't really detail the edges of the top without having an exposed section (spaced armor), but I know what you mean with the detailing.

@Jace: Thanks! And I don't think so. They're both IFVs, but I definitely like the looks of your vehicles: the sloping/curving of your vehicles is always very well done. In other words, I think they're just completely different and special in their own ways. Smile

@J-red: Razz

And thank you! However, the reason why the gun isn't any high-caliber anti-tank coilgun is because it's an IFV. The 40mm autocannon is designed to kill soft targets, not tanks or hardened fortifications. While the Puma definitely can, thanks to its ATGMs, it's main purpose is still infantry support/transport. Once again, thanks, glad you liked the plating.
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:30 am
Yeah, I'm actually double-posting again. How horrible.

Anyway, I tinkered around with my Puma design a little so that the vehicle can now fit the commanding officer of the squad. (probably a staff sergeant, and yes, I took that straight from the US Army) Basically, the new vehicle capacity is the driver, a staff sergeant, and the squad (2 fire teams of 4 men). The new designation of the vehicle is the IFV-2B Puma.

I had to remake the front, to fit two people, but luckily, there was just enough room. I think that I like it better now though; the periscope actually fits, and while I had to take out the angled control panel, I think it looks nicer the way it is now. In addition, there are more controls, and some other joysticks and stuff to mess around with. The staff sergeant (who sits to the right side of the driver) can also operate communications or weapons systems, although both are usually semi-automated anyway.

I changed the colors of some of the sensors/viewfinders/etc (IK, very important) and also shortened the sensor on the roof of the turret. The PD-EBP has been changed to the EBP-4 for APS, which I personally like better in terms of both aesthetics and functionality.

IFV-2B Puma:

And, finally, I made a slat armor version. I've had this lying around now but was too lazy to post it. The slat armor extends all the way to the lower rear of the vehicle, and provides additional protection to the front, side skirts, and the rear of the tracks. While it is not perfect, it does provide an extra layer of protection, specifically against shaped charges, making it quite useful. The cage armor system has saved the passengers of a Puma more than once during intense combat.

Slat armor:

I would love to post some new variants of the CUV-6 Jaguar, but I'm not really interested in triple posting, so yeah...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum