Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Threat 0xZRQ448E - Xenolinguistics Empty Threat 0xZRQ448E - Xenolinguistics

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:35 pm
This is a small topic dedicated mainly to my musings on Draugr language; and thoughts, ideas, questions, and so forth should go here. I'll be providing an outline of Draugr grammar, naming, common words, and other potentially useful tidbits. Without further ado, here's what I got so far:

Sentence structure: Actor adjective + actor + sak + recipient adjectives + recipient + verb + adverbs
English examples:
Happy dog sak scared cat chased excitedly. (The happy dog excitedly chased the scared cat)
He sak there ran quickly. (He ran there quickly)
He ran quickly. (He quickly ran)

This should be mostly self-explanatory; exchange the English words with Draugr equivalents, and you have yourself a sentence. As you can see in the third example, the recipient of the action isn't always stated; in these scenarios, the conjunction sak (normally used to separate the object and actor) is simply dropped.

• Proper name structure: Adjective(s) + “nature” noun + specifier noun(s) + name
English examples:
Glorious Empire Europe Old King Waffle (The Glorious Waffle Empire [which has an old king])
Revered Powerful Ship Heavy Cruiser Enterprise (USS Enterprise)
Grand Respected Draugr Beol-Hero Bob (Draugr war-hero Bob of House Beol)

This one requires a bit more elaboration. A Draugrian proper name begins with adjectives that would apply to the object no matter the circumstances; for example, a battlecruiser's could be "Large", as that vessel will be large as long as it remain intact. The amount of possible adjectives is potentially limitless- though most don't exceed four for reasons of simplicity, and it's possible for something to not have an adjective here at all. Next comes the "nature" noun, a noun that describes something's basic identity, like "star" "ship" "person" "plant" etc. Specifier nouns are used to make a more... well, specific statement about something's identity, like "main sequence" "heavy cruiser" "adult" "fruit". Note that, like adjectives, a name doesn't have to have specifier nouns if deemed unnecessary. Finally comes the actual "name": the unique string of syllables which refers to that specific object. Sometimes, particularly for new ships or young children, a name will only have the Nature noun followed by the name, as there are no other terms applicable; Proper names are considered flexible and often change over time (for example, a particularly brilliant child might be renamed from Draugr Child Bob to Brilliant Draugr Child Bob). Like the rest of Draugr culture, these names are often quite utilitarian.

• Class name structure: Type # + class role + class size group + constructing clan + pattern
English examples:
Type 18 Light Recon Gunboat Acraenos-pattern

Not technically grammar, but I felt like including this anyway. Razz With the example, this should be self-explanatory: the # can be any random number, the class role is any adjective or set of adjectives that describe what the ship does, the constructing clan is the clan that built the ship.

That's all I have for now. Feedback is welcome!

Last edited by Tetrahedron on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Name change!)
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Threat 0xZRQ448E - Xenolinguistics Empty Re: Threat 0xZRQ448E - Xenolinguistics

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:05 pm
I'll have to read over this again I'm I am not a living snot reactor and see if it makes more sense. This could be very interesting... or very complicated. Kudos to you for coming up with this though! Very Happy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum