Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proof of Concept

+4
Dino27
Tetrahedron
Star-Hunter
Andre Tholvel
8 posters
Go down
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Proof of Concept - Page 2 Empty Re: Proof of Concept

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm
The wings should probably be moved forward, IMHO; not the whole thing, just extend the leading edge. Yeah, they're kinda thin, but they work well enough I suppose. No idea what to do about your dorsal/ventral designs; not my greatest area. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:56 pm
Siriondil Daragon wrote:Well with wings like that, you're basically now making an enormous, supercharged Sentinel landing craft. As such, you could probably do very well by putting a sort of back-sweeping superstructure on the top, moving towards a dorsal wing a lot like the Sentinel's.

Honestly I'm not even sure I want to keep them - I'm trying to avoid it being so close to the Sentinel-class, so I think I'll ditch the wings entirely, even if they look kinda nice-ish.

Tetrahedron wrote:The wings should probably be moved forward, IMHO; not the whole thing, just extend the leading edge. Yeah, they're kinda thin, but they work well enough I suppose. No idea what to do about your dorsal/ventral designs; not my greatest area. Razz

Yeah, that's the trick I suppose. I'll hopefully sort something out soon. When school is over for the calendar year. And I'm not sick anymore.
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 pm
This looks awesome!!! I agree on the wings, they don't fit the ship.

Niiiice work!!!
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO
Location : Aboard the IFS Varda, viewing construction of the next flagship.

Character sheet
Faction:
Species: Human

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:05 pm
Yeah, I say ditch the wings. You need something original and super bulky to go with this. Maybe something like a secondary superstructure on top, with a third engine back-center and another, smaller area for troops? Or perhaps a drone bay with holding and repair facilities? Also, you should definitely add some smaller weaponry-- those cannons are good for blasting through enemy lines, but there's nothing quite like a set of miniguns to clear out an LZ or take down an incoming missile swarm.
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm
Siriondil Daragon wrote:Yeah, I say ditch the wings. You need something original and super bulky to go with this. Maybe something like a secondary superstructure on top, with a third engine back-center and another, smaller area for troops? Or perhaps a drone bay with holding and repair facilities? Also, you should definitely add some smaller weaponry-- those cannons are good for blasting through enemy lines, but there's nothing quite like a set of miniguns to clear out an LZ or take down an incoming missile swarm.

Now there's an idea! Thank you, Supe, you just made my day!
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:16 pm
Score! Looking forward to seeing it, if you decide to go with it. xD
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:20 pm
Drones, drones...this is a lot of space for a bunch of drones...hmm...maybe what I need is an autonomous fighter unit! Buuut that would get expensive as all get-out, and this is barely an ideal trade-off with the design I currently use a primary troop transport. Razz

Ideas on that part, guys?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:21 pm
I've got some drones that I built recently; I'll try to upload them sometime soon.
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 pm
I don't think that would be too much space for drones-- think medium sized, smaller than a typical starfighter (which would be maybe 1/3 the length of the ship) but larger than, say, a person. Kind of like a bunch of UAV's, but they could be for repair or some such. OR, that top part could hold a "workshop" of sorts, like a modular system that could be a command center, or armory, or bunker... then detach on hoverpads or treads and embed itself in the ground.
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm
Maxwell Augustus Damirius wrote:I've got some drones that I built recently; I'll try to upload them sometime soon.

That would be appreciated, and just cool to look at anyways. Razz

Siriondil Daragon wrote:I don't think that would be too much space for drones-- think medium sized, smaller than a typical starfighter (which would be maybe 1/3 the length of the ship) but larger than, say, a person. Kind of like a bunch of UAV's, but they could be for repair or some such. OR, that top part could hold a "workshop" of sorts, like a modular system that could be a command center, or armory, or bunker... then detach on hoverpads or treads and embed itself in the ground.

Ah, that would explain it, given the fact that I made the little recce flyer about...eight studs by ten studs? Razz

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea, too, especially since this would be the kind of shuttle to be sent off on independent missions (for commandos, usually), or for local-area field commanders, since I've been able to determine I can carry about a full Company of Marines in this thing's cargo bay. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:57 am
Ahh, combining roles, why not? It still seems like it needs as little something changed in the design, something to make it look slightly less boxy, even if it mostly retains it's box with engines and too many missiles look/design. IDK, that's just how I see it.

I'm running a Toshiba Sattelite from.....*counts*1998?...something like that, it was 10 years old already when I got it, so yes, I still have my go-to excuse. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:23 am
Commander Ant wrote:Ahh, combining roles, why not? It still seems like it needs as little something changed in the design, something to make it look slightly less boxy, even if it mostly retains it's box with engines and too many missiles look/design. IDK, that's just how I see it.

I'm running a Toshiba Sattelite from.....*counts*1998?...something like that, it was 10 years old already when I got it, so yes, I still have my go-to excuse. Razz

I don't know what to tell you, Ant, this is what I'm sticking with - it's been almost a month working on this thing, I'm not overhauling it to make it look sleeker - it ain't meant t' be sleek, so why bother? Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:34 am
Razz I can understand that, I have several items myself that need fixed but that I refuse to due to time required. Razz And that's just ones that need fixed, not overhauled or little asthetics changes made to update with people's opinions. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 pm
Commander Ant wrote:Razz  I can understand that, I have several items myself that need fixed but that I refuse to due to time required. Razz  And that's just ones that need fixed, not overhauled or little asthetics changes made to update with people's opinions. Razz

Honestly I don't think it needs to be "fixed." This isn't some Imperial Sentinel-class that looks sleek and delivers a moderate amount of forces, this is, yes, a conglomeration of boxes blended together that delivers a level of firepower by itself and within its cargo holds that a single shuttle can be sent on low-level operations with an expectation of success. Razz

Also, MORE PICTURES OF PROGRESS!
PROGRESS:
I added some thickness to the bottom deck, so it'd blend better (kinda) with the "chin" of the cockpit box, as well as a pair of rotary cannon turrets.
Oh, and some admittedly pretty flimsy legs for it to stand on, but really this relies on anti-gravity/repulsorlifts to stay aloft even when off-loading troops. The legs are there to make sure the turrets don't get crushed, really. Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm
Mmmmm, another great update! the ship is really looking up!

One thing that caught my attention: if this thing can carry a full company of (presumably fully equipped) marines, why are you still using it as a commando craft? Or are you using it as a frontal assault craft?

Either way, keep up the great work!
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:29 pm
It's looking better and better with each update! Keep 'em comin'! Very Happy
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm
Tetrahedron wrote:Mmmmm, another great update! the ship is really looking up!

One thing that caught my attention: if this thing can carry a full company of (presumably fully equipped) marines, why are you still using it as a commando craft? Or are you using it as a frontal assault craft?

Either way, keep up the great work!

No no no, the original purpose was as a larger-scale commando craft (drop pods able to be launched from the cargo hold), and then it became a boarding shuttle (thick armor, powerful shields, big engines, heavy cannons), and then a general assault shuttle (carrying a full Rifle Company of Marines), and then a heavy-lift cargo shuttle (with some modifications I'm not going to try to make in LDD).

In short, the Deferat-class is, as Arik himself put it, a "master of all trades" modular shuttle design. I used the commando version of the cargo bay because that was the most complex to work out - the rest of the functions are all pretty straightforward.

Lord General Spud wrote:It's looking better and better with each update! Keep 'em comin'! Very Happy

As do most of my designs, it seems. Razz All that's left is the top of this bad boy, some color details and somehow some greeblies, and she'll be done.
Andre Tholvel
Andre Tholvel
CEO

Character sheet
Faction:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:45 pm
I wouldn't quite say it's all-purpose-- you won't be boarding anything in this baby, and it's not exactly stealthy enough for any sort of commando insertions. xD But it's definitely versatile enough for any assault/invasion purposes, on any scale.
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 pm
I could board a starship with this, since I'd only ever board a mostly-disable starship, and then the issue is the people inside resisting. Razz

As for commandos, well, they aren't always about stealth insertions - have you never heard of the WWII US Marine Raiders? Razz Or Paratroopers?
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:16 pm
The rounded corners on the front, rounded engine sides, and addition of the turrets help it to keep its box comglomeratoin/boxy look without looking really bad, nice. It's raelly starting to look good now.
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:27 pm
Commander Ant wrote:The rounded corners on the front, rounded engine sides, and addition of the turrets help it to keep its box comglomeratoin/boxy look without looking really bad, nice. It's raelly starting to look good now.

That's what I thought, too. Now I just need the top and then maybe greeblies and I'm done.

Now, what to do for the top?!
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:44 pm
Okay, so other than another pair of rotary turrets I couldn't think of anything for the top. It looks really strange and honestly even I don't like it, but for the sake of getting started on my next big project, here it is, I'm calling it done! *exasperation*
Shuttle:

Last edited by Lord Commandant Jace on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:48 pm
Hmmm.... I'm not quite sure I'd call that done. Without anything for wings or a top, it just looks,... odd. There's a way to make the whole just-one-solid-body-without-anything-sticking-out look work, but this ship doesn't really capitalize on it.

That being said, as the guy who's been working on that one huge ship for, what, four months now, straight, I can certainly relate to the I-just-want-to-get-this-over-with thought process. Razz Believe me, I *really* just wanna finish up that ship and move on, so I understand where you're coming from. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)

Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:56 pm
Tetrahedron wrote:Hmmm.... I'm not quite sure I'd call that done. Without anything for wings or a top, it just looks,... odd. There's a way to make the whole just-one-solid-body-without-anything-sticking-out look work, but this ship doesn't really capitalize on it.

That being said, as the guy who's been working on that one huge ship for, what, four months now, straight, I can certainly relate to the I-just-want-to-get-this-over-with thought process. Razz Believe me, I *really* just wanna finish up that ship and move on, so I understand where you're coming from. Razz

I believe it was agreed that wings looked too strange on this guy, and I can't think of anything that would follow that "one solid body" look without limited the movement of the rotary turrets. Like I said, I'm not really content with it, but I need it to be done, and I can't think of anything else to do to it. On top of that, nobody's been able to make any solid design suggestions, so, yes, for the sake of my sanity and starting my next project, after a month of work, this thing's out of my WIP folder.
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 pm
Fair enough, I suppose. Razz
Sponsored content