Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Juggernaut Class Destroyer Empty Juggernaut Class Destroyer

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 pm
Juggernaut Class Destroyer GetMedia
Juggernaut Class Destroyer GetMediaJuggernaut Class Destroyer GetMedia

LDD File

Yes, that is twenty-two torpedo launchers looking at you in the first picture. And there are a few more at the sides, and some phaser emitters too, but they're not worth any more text.

The torpedo launchers are!

More specifically, the forward facing torpedo launchers! All twenty-two of them, and the whole 70% of the saucer section that is taken up to house torpedoes to fuel the twenty-two forward facing torpedo launchers!

Did I mention they are rapid firing torpedo launchers?

No, but I just did, so yeah.

The whole "70% of the saucer section that is taken up to house torpedoes" thing is actually a weakness, because if something blows up in there, the whole saucer blows up.

That's why the shield generators on the Juggernaut Class are inclined towards the forward shields to provide the most shield power there, because that's where the torpedo launchers are. Why?

Well, if a torpedo launcher gets blocked, and a torpedo gets launched through the blocked launcher, it will explode. We don't want explosions. Razz

Of course, there are computer systems to keep torpedoes from being loaded into blocked launchers, but you can never be too safe. Razz

So, pros:

- If you are in front of this ship when it is firing, then you are doomed. Or is that a con?

Cons:

- If you are behind this ship, then you are safe. Or is that a pro?
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Juggernaut Class Destroyer Empty Re: Juggernaut Class Destroyer

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:50 pm
Tip: give us awesome picture of that thing spewing tons and tons and tons of torpedoes. Razz I've always liked torpedo rain, though it might not be the safest thing for a ship's crew, it's still kewl. Anyways, nice ship Talmid. Her strengths and weaknesses are well balanced, as is her physical appearance. Great job! Very Happy
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:14 pm
Intersting, it looks much more compact than most ST style ships, even for those that have the naccles above the sacuer with the engineering hull at the same level. But....I wouldn't say doomified for a mere twenty-two torpedo launchers. There must be a rec room station inbetween each one. I would add another 18 maybe to and even forty, with large magazines, and then we'll talk. Razz
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 pm
If you want to add more torpedo launchers, you need a wider, or taller ship. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:00 pm
No you don't. that thing's atleast....ehhh, atleast 30 studs wide, aka 300 meters. Atleast. Take 200 meters of that, or 20 studs out of teh middle. Each stud is 10 meters, which could fit three launchers (possibly manned by one station with 6 or so crewmen, or less, depending on automatic loaders n other such stuffz and toyz), so 3x20=60 right then and there. Or if you do only two for 20 meters, that's still 40, with plenty of wasted space on teh sides of the front. And that's only one line, let's no forget about putting another line or two above or underneath that first line.

so you may actually be able to add anotehr....ehhh...hundred launchers. And that's being conservative, but hey! I'll throw out the rec rooms and holo dec and (maybe) some of the refridgeraidres to get MOAR FIYWAPOWAH!
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:23 pm
Oh....

Well, I guess I should start thinking in meters! Razz I used those gray grille-thing pieces as torpedo launchers, and when I arrange them with the slotted parts sticking out, I like to say that the two slots are two torpedo launchers.
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:26 pm
Yeah, I used to do things like that (though it was a stud on a studless square stud.....a studless stud Razz ) but then I realized there was a lot of places I could have launchers that I couldn't show with my designs because there was no place to attach them....and I didn't want to show them for all 700 launchers on my large models.....and I began thinking in meters (that came last. Razz )
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm
The thing is, a canon ship (outside of a Borg Cube) is never going to have 700 launchers, being a very technical person, I mark my weapons, all of them, (on custom ships) with dedicated pieces. :PA Federation ship (aside from something as tiny as the Defiant, the sole canon ship on which I have to mark multiple weapons with single pieces) offers plenty of room to house physical markers for FAR MORE weapons then we would EVER see on a Starfleet type vessel. Once you've got 700 launchers, you've got more launchers than a heavy cruiser carries torpedoes, and I can only imagine the number of torpedoes carried to feed those launchers for even a matter of a few minutes. Which means.... you're ship just takes one pinprick through her shields and armor and she goes kaboom. Also, there comes a point at which there are TOO MANY torpedoes flying at the target at the same time, creating a path back from the target vessel to the ship doing the firing.... a path that can be blown up in a chain reaction that spells the doom of the main ship, or if fired in intervals, the doom of dozens or even hundreds of torpedoes that explode each other in a domino effect. In other words, this ship has just about the perfect number of torpedo launchers for a decent sized torpedo sprayer.

(Note, rail guns that fire solid slugs are an entirely different matter as there are no explosives to blow up the ship or the projectiles. The only limits are physical room for ammo and the weapons to fire them.)
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 pm
So, what you're saying is, to defeat the St. George or the Indominatble, just shoot the lead torpedo. Razz But this is assuming torpedoes go off from being hit, hitting a ton of TNT with a HE tank round. But, though I'ld have to research this, I suspect they are more like nukes. Due to the semi-popular belief that shooting a nuke will make it go off, that's not true. Nukes arn't inheriantly explosive, filled with unstable substances like chemical explosives. Nukes take a special primary explosion to smash the first atoms together inside teh nuke, and all the other dense matter provides more attoms to be smashed, caushing the chain reaction. In the same way photon (or proton, I always get the SW and ST ones mixed up Razz ) torpedoes may need a special reaction needing special particles emmitted, atom smashing, high voltage electricity pumped through something, a small warp singularity created, or a combination thereof. So blowing up a warehouse of torpedoes may simply cause torpedo and warehouse bits to go flying, but not neccesarily cause a larger explosion unless the first protectile created the needed conditions without destroying pre-existing ones (e.g., if the reaction needs to start in a cubic milimeter but can't becasue now the critical components are scattered over several thousand feet's worth. Razz ) Also, I don't like showing small ewapons like torpedo launchers, due to the fact I can't show them in areas I want them (such as those smooth slopes on teh hull) and I'm not going to have onyl one torpedo launcher in a 10 meter by 10 meter by 10 meters, or 1 stud by 1 stud by 2 studs high (or ~ 1 stud on it's side) (for my launchers previously, or by 5ish meters for talmid's) I'm giong to have somethign more liek my snorzibim (or somethign like taht) fixed torpedo launchers on my ETX J'ckktrrg, you know, all those ones on teh underside meant to broadside, and uterly demolish anything it runs into.

Now i agree that a cannon ship wouldn't have that many launchers, but that's because the 4th peace hippie movement has softened the federation too much, they don't like having good war machines. Razz On a true war machien, I would absolutely cover that front end with torpedo launchers, and a good spread will be like a super sawed-off shotgun effect with HE pellets, firing into a mass of squirrells. Twisted Evil 
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:21 pm
Interesting point.... our lives depend on whether or not torpedoes go off from being shot...

Build: personal preference, though I can understand why you feel that way, I've been known (in the past) to ignore weapons on canon ships too, as I either didn't know the location/count, or couldn't show them. So I completely understand your thinking, to each builder their own method. Fine by me. Smile

Federation of Hippies, indeed, indeed, which is why I said " FAR MORE weapons then we would EVER see on a Starfleet type vessel." Razz Not arguing what you say, just pointing out what I said. Razz Starfleet (aside from Minuteman Division of course) just can't cut it, with only the Defiant, Prometheus, and Sovereign classes really being properly military, and even those could have been improved upon.
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:34 pm
Of course! I fail to see any isokentic cannons or a decent number of quantum torpedoes or even a simple 10 meter railgun cannon (bore size)! C'mon! Look in the mirror! The federation is old! (quote brownie points!) Razz
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 pm
Vardok (dino) S'ren wrote:
Federation of Hippies, indeed, indeed, which is why I said " FAR MORE weapons then we would EVER see on a Starfleet type vessel."  Razz  Not arguing what you say, just pointing out what I said.  Razz Starfleet (aside from Minuteman Division of course) just can't cut it, with only the Defiant, Prometheus, and Sovereign classes really being properly military, and even those could have been improved upon.
Uh, I thought that by whatever time period we've reached in PCG History, Star Fleet has, well, changed into....

....well, what the PCG is, which defeats the PCG's purpose, so whatever I thought can't be true. Razz

I need to rewrite my history a bit! Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:31 pm
Well, the PCG isn't JUST the military solution for Starfleet (and it is that) it is also a group of disgruntled Starfleet officers who wanted to do things their own way, and did it.
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:07 pm
To tell the truth talmid, I was actualyl kind of disappoinrted when you started using star-fleet, seeing how caught up in red tape they are and how militarily and practicalnessly (in everything) they are, but atleast someone's reforming it of sorts. Razz
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:18 pm
Well, over the course of time, plenty of young grasshopper officers like Fleet Captain Talmid and Captain Gary Vermont have risen up to positions of grandeur, but there are still lots of Admirals up there who insist doing things the old way, so Star Fleet is pretty balanced out. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:39 pm
Well being at 50% is alot better than being at 0. Razz Good to hear the PCG might actually have someone to handle a front for them next time instead of handling all five. Razz
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 pm
Well, maybe if Talmid wasn't due for a court martial. Admiral Green, one of the pacifists, wants to put Talmid on trial for commanding the operation which nearly destroyed an opposing empire. Neutral

Razz
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum