Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

SPAS-5 Grizzly Empty SPAS-5 Grizzly

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:08 am
The SPAS-5 Wombat is a lightly-armored Coalition 203 mm self-propelled howitzer. Combining mobility with a powerful indirect fire support capability, it is highly effective at delivering long-range gunfire on well-fortified positions. The Wombat is generally deployed when Naval or aerospace support units are unavailable for whatever reason, and it proved its effectiveness during the Second Interstellar War.

KLD developed the Wombat SPAS off of the chassis of the highly successful Puma IFV. It was chosen for part/module redundancy to reduce maintenance and nanufacturing time as well as raw material consumption. However, the side skirt armor of the Puma was removed, along with ERA and the Minsk Mk. 2 Protection System. On the other hand, it was outfitted with much more sensors and antennae for enhanced communications and spotting capability.

Spoiler:

Wombats are equipped with very light armor that is only effective at repelling machine gun fire. They are, however, relatively mobile, allowing them to relocate with ease. In addition, their vast arrays of sensors and antennae allow them to quickly relay information to other units on the ground, in the air, or in space. The Wombat's most important asset however is its massive Shelton Arms 203 mm IFSH-3, which is capable of delivering consistent bombardment fire on enemy positions. For self-defense, it is armed with a remote-operated 7.62 mm machine gun (that can be manually operated) and two quadruple-barrel MMDs.

203 mm IFSH-3
Developer: Shelton Arms
Developed: 2587
Produced: 2591 - present
Used by: Integrated Coalition of Systems
Caliber: 203 mm
Type: gun/howitzer
Ammunition: HE, RAP (rocket assisted projectile), Illumination, WP (white phosphorus)
Rate of fire: ~13.4 rounds/min, 3 rounds in 5.27 seconds (burst)
Muzzle velocity (HE): ~1300 m/s
Maximum effective range: ~38.3 km (HE), ~51.9 km (RAP)

Spoiler:

The main turret, while operated from inside the hull, does feature a top hatch for ease of maintenance. As usual, the ammunition is replenished by a nanufacturer, though oftentimes at a drastically slower rate than it is being used.

The interior of the Wombat is highly complex, featuring two massive command stations. While the Wombat is a SPG, it is capable of coordinating ground, air, and navy assets, thanks to its vast array of sensors and antennae. This allows the Wombat to spot its own targets if needed, to detect approaching enemy threats, to constantly communicate with friendly units, etc.

Spoiler:

Specifications:
Model: SPAS-5 Grizzly
Developer: KLD
Used by: ICS
Developed: 2596
Produced: 2596 - present
In service: 2596 - present
Combat service: Second Interstellar War

Crew: 3 (driver, main gunner, communications operator/assistant gunner)

Armor: 34 mm Minsk composite armor, mine-resistance

Main armament: 203 mm IFSH-3
Secondary armament: 7.62 mm machine gun, 2x quadruple-tube MMDs

Top speed: 114 km/h (~70 mph) on road
Traverse speed: 55 deg/s

Credits: to Jace's M-113 C2V for the telephone/sensors and antennae inspiration and to an AS-90 MOC I found for the blocky gun mantlet

Designer's Notes: I hope that you guys can tell that this isn't just a Puma IFV with a new turret. I changed quite a bit of the driver's cabin with different controls and another screen instead of the periscope. The interior is obviously different, the lighting is in different places, the handle bars are now used for lights, etc. Oh, and the keypad access to the rear hatch. I've also increased the roof height over the IFV, although it's hard to tell from the pics.

Obviously, the exterior hull is different: the side skirt is gone, tool racks have been added to both sides, the ERA is all gone, some new plating has been added, and I've added a spare rear drive wheel on the front (mostly for aesthetics) and a bunch of hooks and lights. The rear hull is probably the most similar to the original Puma chassis.

And then the turret: definitely my favorite part. I really liked how the main gun and machine gun turned out, especially the shields. I was also quite happy with all the antennae and radars and the rear counterweight. The golden wings on the sides of the turret were added for aesthetics; I actually really liked how they fit. They're supposed to be emblems for a particular unit (Golden Eagles maybe?) but were mostly there to add some color/detail. However, I think my favorite part is the autoloading system and the stowage rails. I think it turned out pretty well (IMHO), and I like the rails that are stowing the shells. It carries a total of 24 shells (in LDD), which, IRL would be a larger number. IRL, the racks would also slide forward or to the sides, but this is LDD. Still, I was quite happy with the autoloader.

So, I thought it turned out decently. What do you think?

It should be pretty obvious that this took inspiration from the AS-90; the turret is a dead giveaway. I also took some inspiration from the M109 and to a much lesser degree, the PzH 2000 (mostly for some stats).

I really liked the Puma chassis, so I plan on doing a couple other things with it, including several CEVs and possibly an MLRS. It all depends on time of course.

Last edited by PXR on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

SPAS-5 Grizzly Empty Re: SPAS-5 Grizzly

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:09 am
OK.

Wow.

Just... wow.

Your stuff was good before, but this... holy crap. Razz

This is possibly the most awesome vehicle on the site; it even looks awesome when the cannon is in firing position (which is big- normally, any vehicle with a cannon elevated more than ~40 degrees just looks silly to me Razz). Everything about it- the main gun, the MG, the antennae, the blocky hull, is just awesome. Razz The only thing I don't really like is the name: wombat? Really? Surely you could come up with something a bit more... illustrative... Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:40 am
@Tetra: Glad you like it! Very Happy As for the name...yeah, I honestly see where you're coming from. Razz I couldn't think of anything, so I decided to just insert the first thing that came to my mind. Razz
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:54 pm
Um, in my usual terse manner: this thing is absolutely amazing. I hope you don't mind if I end up borrowing some of the techniques you used in the SPG I still need to build for myself. Razz
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral Ariklego
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Lord Admiral (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium; Greylark Provincial Navy
Location : New Carradock, Imperial Core Territories, MSI Space

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:51 pm
Well, this is pretty amazing. Razz It looks like it could just easily kill enemy tanks by driving over them and crushing them with its sheer enormity and brutality as it could shooting them, which is saying something because it'd be pretty ugly if it shot a tank with that gun. Razz

I'll admit it looks a tad rough, but it's so big and mean looking it's worth it.

Now, like Tetra said... "Wombat"? Razz
Wombat:

There's bigger and tougher things in the world than wombats. Like baby koalas and fluffy pink unicorns.

Or better yet, you could try something that actually fits, like "Grizzly" or "Behemoth" or something. Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 am
@Jace: Thanks, and that's perfectly fine! Very Happy

@Arik: Razz And thank you! As for the name...unicorn seems like a good name, but I think I'll take your advice and go for Grizzly. But seriously, I just slapped on the first name that came to mind. I'll use Grizzly, it sounds a lot more appropriate than Wombat. Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 pm
There where alot of platoons at Basic Training called the Combat Wombats.....made no sense to me either. It's not like they're honey badgers or something. Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:30 am
@Ant: Hold on, I was thinking of naming a vehicle Badger. Does that mean I shouldn't now? Razz
Forge
Forge
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : De-Factioned

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:29 pm
No, you should, because honey badgers are cool, if recently overused. Maybe just simply badger like you said, cusae badgers are big and awesome. Kinda like British versions of the tasmanian devil, or less high-on-bathsalts versions of wolverines......actualyl that pretty much describes both wolverines and badgers when compared to tasmanian devils. Razz Badgers are even cooler if you're familiar with a certain book series.
Spoiler:
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 pm
I LOVED THAT BOOK SERIES AS A KID!
Grand Minister Dyma Alcel
Grand Minister Dyma Alcel