Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:12 pm
The Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform was constructed in need of a smaller and considerably cheaper orbital defense unit.   Though not exactly the Sol, the Betelgeuse still packs great firepower in the form of its independently elevating SSC-7's, which can devastate enemy ships, with shields up or down. Despite lacking the high fire rate of SSC-6 mounted on the Sol platforms, the SSC-7 has lower power requirements and is less expensive, making them easy to mass produce and equip on the Betelgeuse.  

Spoiler:

Aside from its frontal SSC-7's, the Betelgeuse is armed with TMC-1's for anti-fighter defense and TMC-6's for anti-ship purposes. Additionally, the TMC-7B's can shoot at enemy fighters and ships alike with its multiple missile launchers.  

Though still an orbital defense platform, the Betelgeuse is equipped with a primary thruster and four maneuvering thrusters, giving it greater flexibility over other platforms.  

It is also equipped with a small hangar bay that can house two Fireclaw dropships (for evac/transport) and four Swallow light fighters (for defense).  

The Betelgeuse's cheap cost allows it to be mass-produced. It is very common in almost any moderately important PXE location.   Advanced communications and sensory equipment allow the Betelgeuse to act as a sentry unit or early warning system as well.  

Specifications:  

Model: Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform  Manufacturer: PXE  
Produced: 2604 - present  
Cost: approx. 10.3 million SPXC  

Length: 270 meters  
Beam: 480 meters  
Height: 170 meters  

Affiliation: PXE Navy  
In service: 2604 - present  
Roles: orbital defense platform, artillery, fire support, light reconnaissance and surveillance  

Armaments:
x2 TMC-1's
x4 TMC-2's
x2 TMC-7B's
x2 SSC-7's

Defenses:
5.4 - 7.0 cm absorbic armor

ASG-2
HTSG-2
DSG-2

Communications:
FIS-XXX
CIS-1
CIS-2
CIS-3
CCIS

Spoiler:

Intelligent Systems:
SANDAS

Sublight Propulsion:
x1 SLPT-20 (for minimal movement)
x4 SLPT-21's (the maneuvering thrusters)

Spoiler:

Powerplant:
x16 HPEG-3's
x1 HPSG-5

Fighter Complement:
x2 Fireclaw dropships
x4 Swallow light fighters

Spoiler:

Lxf:

My third satellite-style orbital defense platform. I'm pretty happy with it, particularly the cannons. I'm also quite happy with the maneuvering thrusters. Anyway, enjoy.  

-PXR

Last edited by PXR on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Re: Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm
You sir have serious talent for orbital defense satellites! WELL DONE! And I wouldn't even call (one or a few of them) OP. I love the design! Great job! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Re: Betelgeuse Class Orbital Defense Platform

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:16 pm
@Dino: Thank you very much. Smile
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 pm
Pros- It looks awesome; the skill matches up to the usual PXR standard of quality.
Cons- IT'S ANOTHER SATELLITE! Razz OK, I don't *really* mind, but I'd still like to see some new ships. Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:29 pm
@Mightyman: Thanks! Lol! I think I need one more (yes one more Razz) for the ShockER cannon, but after that, I will [hopefully] get to the ship I promised. Kind of. Razz
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:05 am
Nice design! I love it! THough I don't think it would necessarily pose a threat to fighters. Cap ships, maybe, is it manned or automated?
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:54 am
@J-red: Thanks! Not to fighters. Its specific purpose is to take out cap ships. Much of it is automated by SANDAS, but there's crew operating the weapon and defense systems. Orbit path is pre-programmed but the pilots can change it. So I guess its semi-automated. Razz
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net

Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:02 am
Gotcha. Razz I have one suggestion that you could add to knock this thing up from a 9.5 to a 10! Add manuvering thrusters around the satilite so that it can swiftly move into position to fire at rapidly closing ships. (You could rig up some kind of way to automate the thing so that despite using the thrusters it still maintains a stable orbit.)
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:59 pm
@J-Red: Okay. I'll do that ASAP, though I need to complete another project first. All I can say is stay tuned. Razz
Lord General Spud
Lord General Spud
Lord General (MSI)
Lord General (MSI)
Faction : Minotaur Space Imperium

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:06 pm
This is great! The detail is amazing, as always. I really like the checkerboard pattern on the things that I'm assuming are solar arrays. Great work! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:42 am
@Spud: Thanks! And yep, solar arrays. Anyway, thank you!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum