Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)
Faction : ICS

Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:46 pm
The Altair Class ODP is used purely for orbital defense against enemy ships. They are controlled from the ground and mostly preprogrammed and/or automated (by SANDAS), making them easy to mass produce and operate.  

Altair's lack any heavy armor and are protected only by an ASG-1, HTSG-2, and prototype DSG-1, which means that once its shields are down, a single hit will probably destroy it. However, the Altair relies not on armor, but on its pure numbers, laying down huge amounts of fire with its frontal mounted SSC-8.  

The SSC-8 is mounted on the bow and is the Altair's only weapon. This makes it highly vulnerable to extremely small craft, as they can often slip through its firing line before it has repositioned (this is a seldom occurrence, as it is usually protected by a Betelgeuse or Sol). Nevertheless, the SSC-8 is powerful on its own, and en masse, can devastate large ships quite quickly.  

Spoiler:

The Altair is actually quite maneuverable thanks to two triplets of maneuvering thrusters mounted before and after the solar panels. In addition, a thruster is mounted in the stern.

Spoiler:

Specifications:  

Model: Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform
Manufacturer: PXE
Produced: 2605 - present
Cost: 4.8 million SPXC  

Length: 220 meters
Beam: 222 meters  
Height: 55 meters  

Affiliation: PXE Navy
In Service: 2605 - present
Roles: ODP, artillery support

Armaments:
x1 SSC-8

Defenses:
4.7 - 5.1 cm absorbic armor

ASG-1
HTSG-2
DSG-1

Communications:
FIS-XXX
CIS-1
CIS-2
CIS-3
CCIS

Intelligent Systems:
SANDAS

Sublight Propulsion:
x6 SLPT-23's (maneuvering thrusters)
x1 SLPT-20

Powerplant:
x1 HPSG-6

Lxf:

This is mostly a response to J-red, who requested the Betelgeuse include more maneuvering thrusters and be automated. I still plan on refitting the Betelgeuse (I think I'm done actually) however. Anyhow, I needed a new ODP satellite that was cheaper and more cost-effective than the Betelgeuse (which was already quite cheap, compared to the Sol).  

Try your best to enjoy...if possible. Razz

-PXR

Last edited by PXR on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Re: Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:58 pm
Very nice indeed; I like the idea of these being deployed en masse and controlled from the ground (even if it's horribly OP Razz).

I've stopped even trying to regulate you by now, if you haven't noticed. Razz
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Re: Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:13 pm
@Tetra: OP? How is it OP? Razz These things are the cheapest things I've got. Razz And thanks btw. Razz
Dino27
Dino27
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:22 pm
I think he means the giant cannon on it... but frankly, I don't see it as "horribly OP," or even "moderately OP" based solely on the description. But whatever.

GREAT little defense platform Mirage! I love the design of this cheap little system! Very Happy Well done! Tired as I am of your awesome satellites, ( Razz ) this was well worth the time it took to look at/read/comment on! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 pm
@Dino: Giant? It's not that big. Razz

Thank you anyway! Very Happy Razz
Talmid
Talmid
Commander (PCG)
Commander (PCG)
Faction : United Federation of Planets

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 pm
I don't imagine the shields being too strong on a little weapons satellite, but it is a weapons satellite. I would not want to lead a fleet of any size against a horde of these.  Altair Class Orbital Defense Platform 4161666119 

Nice satellite! Very Happy
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 am
@Talmid: Not strong at all. Razz Thanks though! Smile
Johnnyred
Johnnyred
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Human
https://phoenixcommandgroup.rpg-board.net

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 pm
This is actually the least OP thing that PXR has. XD But I love it! And your maneuvering thruster designs are amazing! Nice work!
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 pm
@J-red: Thanks! Glad you like the thrusters. Very Happy
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Character sheet
Species: Khent-sa

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:14 pm
I feel I should mention that my comment on the OP-ness was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else, if you know what I mean. Razz
Lonestar
Lonestar
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:10 pm
You're a genius when it comes to ODP's. Wink

I can't find any problems with it...but I'm also not an expert with these things either. Razz Nice work!
PXR
PXR
Recruit (No Affiliation)

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm
@Scare: Thank you! Glad you like it! Very Happy
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum