Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Phoenix Command Group
Welcome to the headquarters of theVeil Universe, a unique blend of role-playing and world-building. Join in, pick a side, and engage in one of the most unique fictional universes in existence! Now is a time of creation, exploration, and battle. Come join in the formation of entirely new aliens, factions, and technology!

For our returning veterans who prefer the PCG as imagined in the LUCL, it's still here.

Oh, and before to go― please, grab a sidearm. It gets a bit crazy around here...
Phoenix Command Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 pm
The Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform was developed after exercises revealed that the Grelfucan's previous method of organizing an orbital defense layout was ineffective against some of the supposed capabilities of potential invaders, as well as their own technologies, which had improved in interesting ways.

The point that struck home with developers was that while defense satellites were cheaper, and therefore could repel an invasion en masse, they were individually very weak, and the missile satellites' fields of fire didn't overlap as well as previously figured, even with the extremely extended ranges of the Grelfucan's new missile technology.

As such, the new task was to take the properties of an early-warning sensor system, orbital rail guns, and extremely long-ranged missiles and put them all into a package capable of going toe-to-toe with ships as large as a Grelfucan battleship and leave the opponent ship in the kind of shape that would incline its captain to retreat.

The end result was something more attuned to combating Grelfucan heavy cruisers, but the Powers That Be decided that relatively few ships were much larger than their own heavy cruisers, and should one of such ships arrive, the Home Fleet would be able to defeat it with assistance from the Orbital Defense Forces.

Platform:

Measurements:
-Length: 220 meters (without cannons included), 440 meters (with cannons included)
-Width: 260 meters
-Height: 140 meters
(Scale is 1 stud:10 meters. I'm debating changing the scale to inflate the size to be more apt to its capabilities.)

Armament:
-2 heavy rail cannons (designed to punch through armor like hot knife through warm butter)
-24 dual turbolaser cannon turrets
-48 mass driver cannons
-30 warhead launchers

Armor: 2,060 RU

Shielding: 5,420 SBD

Yes, again, Star Wars units - they're what I know, okay? Razz
Tetrahedron
Tetrahedron
Captain (PCG)
Captain (PCG)
Faction : Phoenix Command Group

Character sheet
Faction: Phoenix Command Group
Species: Khent-sa

Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Re: Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:45 pm
For a ship, this would be rather OP, NGL. However, seeing as it's a heavy ODP, I find that it's stats are actually pretty fitting. I would've had less turbolasers/mass drivers and more missiles, but that's purely personal choice (seeing as this would have limited movement/maneuvering capabilities). Also, it would probably be a good idea to throw on a hangar or two- but, again, personal choice.

As for the model itself: the main section is a bit boxy IMO, but those cannons look pretty well-done (and rather epic Razz).

The SW units are fine... BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a link to those, would you? I'd like to have a look, seeing as it would have several applications...

...Looking over it all again, this seems small for a heavy ODP. personally, I imagine heavy ODPs would be the size of a small supercruiser, with only about two to seven stationed around a normal planet, whereas this would be more of a LDP (Light Defense Platform). Razz IDK, maybe that's just me...

Either way, good job on the ODP! I should go makes some... *argues with self what to build in LDD next*
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant Jace
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Lord Commandant (MSI)
Faction : MSI
http://starwarplay.forumotion.com/

Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform Empty Re: Coltellata-class Orbital Defense Platform

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 pm
Y'know, I probably could add more missiles, and it's not as if I'm low on magazine space. The original design had hangars, but I decided (after discussion with Arik) that they took up too much space and figured I didn't really need them anyways, since fighters from the Home Fleet or the surface of the planet could fly up anyways. If I do make it bigger (via scaling) I might add a pair of small-ish hangars.

As for the main section, and I've said this before, it's "form follows function" - not meant to be pretty, meant to destroy. The cannons are actually from Arik's 280 mm LRMDC, hence why they look good at the rest of the thing is a rounded box.

I never said this was a "heavy" defense platform, but you will also note that I said I felt it was was bit on the smaller side. And honestly, I've always thought that huge, monstrous-looking defense stations or platforms were really just unnecessary.
Notice how I said I originally planned on a net of satellites all around the system. Why use one big, expensive, cost-inefficient design when you can use multiple smaller, less expensive, more cost-efficient designs and get a similar or even superior combined armament from multiple sources, allowing you to have a higher concentration of fire without sacrificing the field of fire for the design?

As for the Star Wars units - don't bother. They're completely arbitrary, based on a single game's mechanics and then adopted to the rest of the universe. Same can be said of almost any measurement in Star Wars other than hyperdrive classes and atmospheric speeds.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum